F-14 Cockpit and instrument dimensions

punk

Why don't you guys just build a full-scale F-14? :D

Hush, they don't know yet!

Thanks for the well wishes guys, just a matter of time at this point.

Thanks HB for the files.

Salute All,

Punk

Punk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wow, nice! What build material did you use? I just picked up some 3/8" plywood today, but I'm a bit worried it won't be stiff enough. I was thinking about doing the seat in 1/2" MDF, but I'm not sure about whether the MDF would need stiffeners for some of the horizontal members (e.g., seat pan).

Dino, yes the 1/2" MDF will be too flexible for the part you sit on, unless you use cross sectional stiffeners. You could use 3/4" for the seat pan, but that stuff is heavy. 1/2 with stiffeners is probably the way to go. Attached some pics of my Hornet Nerd Chair.

35536075_2018-10-1507_09_33.thumb.jpg.96a3a9d55c22aae20553961b95f8af58.jpg

1121440302_2018-10-1507_10_13.thumb.jpg.05186a0c379b5d19ba3b69a0a7b323c8.jpg

IMG_2127.thumb.JPG.380d7a2cb6dc1f28185ea611bf80abde.JPG

Edited by nicka117
  • Like 1

Hey Dino,

The airspeed indicator is 3 1/4" Square. I have the fuel gauge and TIT gauge as well if you need those. Some other odds and ends and a couple panels.

Mumbles, I like your idea about putting together a project guide as well.

Thumbs up on all the work you guys are doing.

Salute,

Punk

Punk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hey guys,

I've uploaded a few of the major front cockpit parts at the link below:

http://media.heatblur.se/F-14_B_Cockpit_Dimensions.rar

License: non-commercial, personal-use only. We encourage you to share any models you make based on these.

Hope it helps! Units are 1 unit = 1.0m

This is an amazing level of support! Hopefully we'll start to see some really accurate simpits around everyone's new favorite bird.

Can you provide any more exports? The pilots throttle along with dimensions would be a great accompaniment to start building a an appropriate HOTAS.

Thanks for the info, Punk.

I've updated the seat build and thrown the new file up on the Dropbox (GRU-7A V2). It's not complete - have completely left out the headrest area for now, but I've tried to add all the box joints and simplify the design. Because of the seat angle, there will be some fitup issues that I hope to fix with gratuitous sanding and a mounting board to which everything will attach.

I'm going to check some seat dimensions against the Heatblur model, just to see that it's close enough, and then I plan to start cutting some pieces this weekend to see how difficult to manufacture it is.

I checked over the full pit build dimensions, sans the seat, and everything is close enough - definitely not exact, as I squared off some panels and eliminated some recesses, but overall fitup is within a few inches and all the instrument panels fit within reasonable tolerances.

My build order will be:

1. Seat

2. Center console stack

-- at this point, I can mount things to baseboard and start flying again w/ temporary throttle stand --

3. ACM panel

4. Front left and right instrument consoles w/ supports

-- attach ACM and front panels

5. Side consoles

-- The structure is complete, now can work on making it usable --

6. Instrument panels

7. Drill mounting holes for instrument panels.

8. Drill cutouts for wiring behind instrument panels.

9. Wiring, tons of wiring, and even more wiring.

10. Software.

-- Fully functional, now add frames and outer skin, paint, stencil name on side

One major remaining feature to figure out is how to get in and out of it without breaking everything. I'm thinking of adding some railings outside the center consoles - some thick metal tubes, kind of the like the handles for old people to get in and out of bathtubs, but mounted to the baseboard, so I can put all of my weight on the railings when getting in and out. That, or I make an entire side of this thing hinged and just swing out the side, sit down, and swing it back, but that seems a bit more difficult to keep the hinge supported correctly.

Edited by Dino Might

Just did first cuts today.

Conclusions:

1. I suck with a jigsaw.

2. Going to redo everything in 1/2" plywood.

I got samples of 3/8 and 1/2 inch. The 1/2 inch is not quite twice as expensive, but is much sturdier. I plan on doing as much as I can with the 3/8 on hand, and I don't plan on redoing the sketchup files (yet), because my cutting accuracy is so bad it won't make much of a difference. I'm adding an extra 1/8" on every dimension and going to power-sand pieces down to fit, because of my wavy, jagged cuts.

Still going to be working on the seat first. I'm going to make some notes with pictures when I'm done, having already found reason to adjust some dimensions while cutting.

• 2 weeks later...

Heya Gents,

Nicka,

love your setup mate. It looks great.

Dino,

I have redone the seat in accordance with Cobra's model (in Dropbox). I have had a crack at how I'm probably going to build it with the model as well. Currently I want to use 16mm MDF for the structural parts with 6mm and 3mm for the non load bearing components of the seat.

I haven't modelled the structural pine reinforcements of the interanals yet but this will give you an idea. I have managed to find a SKU-12/A Seat-pan for sale in the US as well. Depending on the cost I was thinking of getting them it shipped to Aus for the seats.

RomeoKilo's build (Awesome A-10C cockpit here https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=160233) at post 200 on Page 20 has given me inspiration for how to mount the seat.

I'm still working out how to do the headrest and parachute packs curved shape. I think hot wire foam cutting a part then fibre glassing it will be the way to go.

I'm still trying to find time to re-do the cockpit plans. I just got a 3d printer and I am thing of maybe changing the way that I build it to be a more modular for ease of maintenance. When I come up with something more solid I'll bounce the ideas off you.

Punk,

Thanks a bunch for those throttle plans. If someone doesn't beat me to it I will see if I can create a printable model over Christmas. Hope your ankle is healing up ok.

Cheers,

Mumbles

1441645791_newseat.jpg.2296e4eb6d662e493f8852ce213c21dd.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Domhaus,

To answer your question, the guages in the first image are the Engine Pressure Ratio guages. Without getting into it too much they measure the difference in pressure between the intake and exhaust.

The 2nd is of the NASA owned F-14 cockpit. Becuase it was used for aerodynamic testing specifically in the spin regime, they removed some of the combat kit and replaced it with a spin chute and canards on the nose. The picture you attached is of the replaced instruments and switches which control these new systems.

Cheers,

Mumbles

1580715856_images(7).jpeg.287dfb111e6233c61dee1e59538c80a1.jpeg

1948054683_images(6).jpeg.3618c45fe079b309e3e8d9a5500a6046.jpeg

Hey Domhaus,

To answer your question, the guages in the first image are the Engine Pressure Ratio guages. Without getting into it too much they measure the difference in pressure between the intake and exhaust.

The 2nd is of the NASA owned F-14 cockpit. Becuase it was used for aerodynamic testing specifically in the spin regime, they removed some of the combat kit and replaced it with a spin chute and canards on the nose. The picture you attached is of the replaced instruments and switches which control these new systems.

Cheers,

Mumbles

All right Mumbles . Thank you so much.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...
Heya Gents,

Nicka,

love your setup mate. It looks great.

Dino,

I have redone the seat in accordance with Cobra's model (in Dropbox). I have had a crack at how I'm probably going to build it with the model as well. Currently I want to use 16mm MDF for the structural parts with 6mm and 3mm for the non load bearing components of the seat.

I haven't modelled the structural pine reinforcements of the interanals yet but this will give you an idea. I have managed to find a SKU-12/A Seat-pan for sale in the US as well. Depending on the cost I was thinking of getting them it shipped to Aus for the seats.

RomeoKilo's build (Awesome A-10C cockpit here https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=160233) at post 200 on Page 20 has given me inspiration for how to mount the seat.

I'm still working out how to do the headrest and parachute packs curved shape. I think hot wire foam cutting a part then fibre glassing it will be the way to go.

I'm still trying to find time to re-do the cockpit plans. I just got a 3d printer and I am thing of maybe changing the way that I build it to be a more modular for ease of maintenance. When I come up with something more solid I'll bounce the ideas off you.

Punk,

Thanks a bunch for those throttle plans. If someone doesn't beat me to it I will see if I can create a printable model over Christmas. Hope your ankle is healing up ok.

Cheers,

Mumbles

Hey guys,

I will try to dig out a throttle quadrant this weekend and make some measurements for the physical throws and such for anyone shooting for accuracy. Hope everyone is having a happy holiday season.

Salute

Punk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Very generous of hb to throw some files out for aspiring pit builders. Might have a look at them later .

I'm already well down the f18 path myself although I've toyed with the idea of a hybrid pit that works across multiple modules in vr

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Howdy Gents,

Sorry about how quite I've been with getting something out, I've been busy as usual.

So I've mostly sorted the plans for the front seat and have started building the center pedestal and floor, utilising Sketchup to print out full scale parts then jigsawing them out. I've used 15,12 and 7mm BC grade ply wood for the structural construction so far. The parts that are going to be within eye sight will be skinned/made from MDF.

I have also started working the 3d printer to make bits and bobs, still very new at it so they need work. All of the models will be posted up once the kinks are worked out.

I'll post the plans up shortly, just working out some of the issues as we go.

Punk,

Thanks bud, hope you have had a great holiday.

Cheers,

Mumbles

20190103_211102.thumb.jpg.6bf66a4cc47569e44e3301cfd6557de5.jpg

20190103_204126.thumb.jpg.acc8ccb456f373fd91e4a16155eeed4c.jpg

20190103_195309.thumb.jpg.3d1c9e1c537c5e66621fb80b7875e58c.jpg

20190102_135435.thumb.jpg.5f941ef914faed6ea05969fe2267602c.jpg

1932648869_CockpitRebuildF-14AB1990s.thumb.jpg.b461e0c0642e0990b9bfb161883de1d7.jpg

Howdy Gents,

Sorry about how quite I've been with getting something out, I've been busy as usual.

So I've mostly sorted the plans for the front seat and have started building the center pedestal and floor, utilising Sketchup to print out full scale parts then jigsawing them out. I've used 15,12 and 7mm BC grade ply wood for the structural construction so far. The parts that are going to be within eye sight will be skinned/made from MDF.

I have also started working the 3d printer to make bits and bobs, still very new at it so they need work. All of the models will be posted up once the kinks are worked out.

I'll post the plans up shortly, just working out some of the issues as we go.

Punk,

Thanks bud, hope you have had a great holiday.

Cheers,

Mumbles

Nice!

Also; trade you more 3D data for more pics of the Dog. :)

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Nice!

Also; trade you more 3D data for more pics of the Dog. :)

Thanks Cobra,

Ohh you're on. They are my childhood dogs, they're all Shetland Sheepdogs.

The latest models up on Dino's dropbox. Its includes the seat, centre pedestal and the side consoles. I've only built the pedestal so far so the rest will change as its built.

Next up is to work an expansion to the side consoles to include the side of the aircraft and a metal rail to run the lenght of it. My crazy idea at the moment is to mounting the metal rail to a rubber boot, in hopes to make it vibrate to provide physical feedback. The latest bunch of youtube videos look amazing and being able to feel it in the frame would be awesome.

I got a Maslow CNC kit over Christmas and it's in the mail. Once I work this out as well it should make the sides way easier to make.

Cheers,

Mumbles

1595465632_F-1410JanParts.thumb.jpg.2419d2290bae6cf96c4b2c4f0eca4eb1.jpg

20190106_090440.thumb.jpg.965c26149dcad045810ebcb77660e6ce.jpg

20190104_154734.thumb.jpg.9c8cefe441d4b9f72b904bfcb8de4c24.jpg

20190104_154822.thumb.jpg.e71ea05476b00017d69ffaf7f971b53c.jpg

20190102_192835.thumb.jpg.90ed7dd5440590b4a117bbcf8837fff5.jpg

20190102_192808.thumb.jpg.7eb99ea52ab792b30ed584709bc2421b.jpg

Hey guys,

found this thread about the cockpit project a few minutes ago. At the moment I´m reconstructing the panels of the F-14. They will be laser cutted and text etc. can be lightened from behind. Looks like I have started the project from the other end he does :D :D :D

abc1dwinp.png

abc2hiibe.png

Stupid is, as stupid does... my mama said!

Howdy Victory,

Thats some some really nice work you have there. You are more than welcome to any of the stuff Dino and I have made. If you send him a pm he should be able to add you to be able to access them.

I haven't seen Dino for a little while. If you haven't heard from him and want a copy of my lastest design give me a yell and I'll put it up for you.

Not sure what your plans are with your panels but if your happy to host them here when they are done it would be greatly appreciated. The more resources in the same place the better.

Let me know if I can help out with anything.

Edit: Just noticed that you're panels look like they are from the D. That's sweet. Are you hoping that HB makes one after the A/B?

Cheers,

Mumbles

Edited by AusMumbles
F-14D dialogue

Watching with interest :)

In thrust we trust :thumbup:

Falls jemand Montags Abends Lust hat mit uns zusammen zu fliegen und Spass zu haben (Anfänger sind auch herzlich willkommen) kann gerne auf unserer Website: https://www.jg-frankonia.de vorbeischauen oder sich direkt bei uns im Discord melden: https://discord.gg/vHEJf3c

Eigene Server und viel Spass sind vorhanden :thumbup:

@ AusMumbles...

The cockpit you saw is a D Tomcat. But A and B panels will follow. The matter is, that I´m also a model builder and I rebuilt the cockpits in 1:1 for DCS (B), in 1:6 (A/B/D) and in 1:18 for A/B/D. (Tomcat crazy guy).

To better understand, here is my 1:18 project:

catrlilf.jpg

the panel test in 1:18

panelhnf38.jpg

So I test this stuff in 1:18 first, but constructed is it in 1:1 keeping in my mind, that I need it in 1:1 for the HB DCS Cat. The advantage is, that I can find out issues on the model, before building it in real scale.

• Like 1

Stupid is, as stupid does... my mama said!

• 2 weeks later...

Evening Gents,

I have been asked for the plans to be posted up a couple of times so here they are. They are very much still work in progress so take them for what they are. When I finish new bits I'll re-upload the plans.

I'm reworking the side panels at the moment. Hopefully I'll have these done soon. Life as usual is pretty full on so it might be a little while.

I just ask if you use them, credit Heatblur and Nick for the dimensions/scans that they provided for these. If you make something from the plans put it back into the DCS F-14 community for everyone to enjoy.

The easiest way to make the parts is to print the Sketchup files in full size A3/4 from a parallel projection, standard view and then tape them together as a template. If you get stuck give me a yell.

Victory,

That has to be one of the sexiest F-14 models I've seen. Sierra Hotel.

Cheers,

Mumbles.

1101088445_23JanF-14PlansPic.thumb.jpg.be1a75f93de5d5bbdc9961f0041e3543.jpg

23 Jan 19 F-14B Plans from Heatblur Data.zip

Heya,

Got asked to expand on the best way to print these.

To start, highlight the component that your trying to make a template for and move it into a new SketchUp file.

Then under the Camera tab select "Parallel Projection" and then an appropriate "Standard View" that will show the component in a plan form view. (Pic One)

Once this is completed change the size of the SketchUp app to have the least amount of dead space around the model. (This will eliminate the extra pages that it will try to print outside the component). (Pic Two)

Then select File, Print. Under the print settings, you will want to un-select "Fit to page" and select "use model extents". Under the Scale settings, input 1 for both the "In the printout" and "In Sketchup" boxes. This means that for one unit of measurement in SketchUp you will get 1 units in the print. ie 1 cm in the printout = 1 cm in the SketchUp model. (Pic 3)

Then hit print.

All you have to do is tape the pages together and you have a template.

Hope this helps.

Mumbles.

1765079522_PrintingSteps1of3.thumb.jpg.9efe2af73e5500a20473206d3362b770.jpg

1158866169_PrintingSteps2of3.thumb.jpg.89dc59bb3ae3842561a76c9541a971cd.jpg

1845904968_PrintingSteps3of3.jpg.91a8a96f1552cbc751cd9e50ae6ac570.jpg