F-14 Cockpit and instrument dimensions

punk

Heya Dino,

How goes the seat construction?

I have finally got some time to get onto the cockpit. I have mostly sorted the RIO pit now.

I'm now just sorting the naff measurements to make it as close as possible to the real thing. It's never gunna be 100% perfect but as long as a real Turkey crew could get in and say this feels right i'll be happy.

Once Nick and the team gets the F-14 out and gets some time to put some measurements together, I'll cross reference it and hopefully start building the frame.

Cheers,

Mumbles`

I have to say wow! You guys have taken this to a whole new level from my original plan to just build the panels. I am excited to see what comes from this.

I have to say that when I sat in the cockpit of the Cat in Santa Rosa, CA, it fit like a glove. It was so comfortable and everything was right there. Visibility over the nose and all around was incredible. I was used to seeing big engines and props out front, it was an amazing experience.

Salute,

Punk

Punk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nice work gents! Dino Might, I really like those panels! I started my Tomcat pit in 2013. Here's a link to my build.

http://hornetpits.org/index.php?topic=179.0

I am currently using it with P3D and the Aerosoft Tomcat. I am just getting in to DCS and trying to find my way of how to incorporate hardware with the sim. I will definitely follow this topic and look forward to the updates.

G'day Gypsy,

Your cockpit was one of my inspirations to start work on my plans. You have done a great job of it.

Your best bet will be a combo of DCS-Bios and SDA's Ikarus Simpit software to convert your pit over.

Have a look through these threads for more but basically DCS-Bios is a scripting platform that will allow you to integrate all your switches over and Ikarus exports instruments and allows you to display them on a separate monitor.

SDA Ikarus

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=179525

DCS-Bios

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=141096

Dino,

I've knocked something up that I think will make our seats look awesome.

I was doing a bit of research and I think I have come up with a way to add detail to the sides of the seat without having to cut a lattice structure out of wood.

You take a 2-3mm thick bit of foam and cut it out with the new template. Then resin coat it to the side of the seat. I've seen it done on movie prop's and RC foam aircraft. If finished correctly can look really good.

I'll put it in the drop box shortly.

Cheers,

Mumbles

2141752924_NewSeatParts.thumb.jpg.e4e7546ff52deb68ddaea81f8524be77.jpg

1111223441_NewSeatParts2.thumb.jpg.e3229b0e1fce05711c014fc486e1663a.jpg

496592295_F-14A-BCockpit.thumb.jpg.ece175dd758eb9008e29c12a0e5a6eb2.jpg

Hey everyone, sorry I've been much delayed in pushing this project forward. I haven't updated the files to incorporate joints yet, but will do so when I get some free time. That may be a while, though. New baby just arrived :)

Thanks to all of you doing the major legwork and keeping the ball rolling.

As a reminder, anyone needing write access to the Dropbox, shoot me a message with your email so I can add you.

• 2 weeks later...

I added a new folder with a sketchup file and STL files for MFCD Frames.

DropBox Link (repost): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zcpwd0wslpyhz9n/AABB80XFxD_jBFxvEOXGpGTca?dl=0

It's 3 pieces, built to hold an 8" LCD monitor (found here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Heyman-HDMI-VGA-AV-Control-Driver-Board-8-inch-HE080IA-01D-1024-768-high-LCD-Display/32841256921.html)

I had no problems ordering from that site, but I'm not trying to advertise for it. Just giving you the example of what I used.

The main pieces are built to enclose the LCD, with a cutout for the ribbon cable below. I have not yet made pieces to hold the control boards on the backside, but will do those later.

The 5.5" x 5.5" piece goes on top of the case sandwich and provides a mounting point for Cougar MFDs. I plan to drill the holes after, so I can accurately place them, but they seem to be about 5 3/32" apart from center to center.

As of 14 OCT, I have NOT printed these out and tested them. I'm hoping to do so this week and provide an update on whether everything fits correctly. Once I have put it all together (if it fits), I will update the Sketchup and STL files and mark it finished, so you can download and print for a true plug-and-play solution.

Mumbles,

If you upload your cockpit .skp file, or at least the front/side panels in the pilot seat, I can start working on sizing plywood/MDF pieces and adding the associated instrument panels. I'm going to start making .skp files for each of the instrument panels.

My intent is to play less Blue Flag and spend more time on the cockpit design over the next couple of weeks. *fingers crossed*

ETA: Basic instrument panel files are in the dropbox. I've only included mounting holes. I may add some small amount of instrument detail (location of holes for switches, text, etc.) at a later time. I'd like to overlay these on the full cockpit build to see how things fit up, in case I don't have the panel sizes all correct. I did some gratuitous rounding in some cases.

Edited by Dino Might

Heya Dino,

I made you a front cockpit model. It's in dropbox. The side panels have a 5 and 3/4 Inch split already in it for you. Just note that this has been made with those old blueprints that lack some detail, especially in the front panel so this is my best interpretation on reference pics etc. I chucked the reworked seat sides in as well for you. If I can help you with anything give me a yell.

I have completely reworked the whole cockpit model over the last couple of days, it wasn't as nice as I wanted it to be initially. I'm pretty happy with the way it came out.

This might be a stupid question but can keystrokes, joysticks etc be set to control the backseat while flying in the front? I don't have an multi-seat aircraft just yet and was trying to work out if I should get an additional PC to drive the RIO Pit.

If anyone's got ideas and wanna chime in with points that might be cool etc I would love to hear em.

Cheers,

Mumbles

2078844324_DinosPit.jpg.4c2be816cac187c6f5d5b890e0fa6f21.jpg

1476761623_F-1416OctFront.jpg.6d0bef9fcac9b3021edf3c01323e1b0e.jpg

514000417_F-1416OctSide.thumb.jpg.ff4d130c10a07912d4fcad1ba6856c98.jpg

697312042_F-1416OctTop.jpg.1051db8ee2aff1ac1069f686d928d5d0.jpg

I don't think you can bind controls to operate the RIO seat when in the pilot seat.

I'm going to transfer one of my licenses to a new account and run two computers for when I play with my kids, and if I'm on my own, I've been thinking of having an extra display, like an iPad, and a small keyboard up front that is hooked to the backseat computer so I could RIO for myself.

-----

10/16: I just started tearing down the model and fitting instrument panels. First goal is to get the MFCD screens incorporated into the center console. Based on the frame design I made, I'm needing to adjust dimensions a bit here and there (a few 1/16" or so). Still looks good so, far, but we will see once I have to put all the parts back together.

For all parts, I'm going with 3/8" plywood again - more expensive than MDF, but I'm hoping the build process is easier with the ability to more easily screw panels and brackets into the plywood.

10/16: Added center console. Had to redo some of the ACM panel, but should fitup well now. I haven't made the exploded parts view, but is easy enough to do from the file. I'm going to try and add the rest of the front panel today. I still am not sure how I want to support the entire front panel, but I know it won't work well suspended by the center console.

Many of the lines will be squared off for ease of manufacture, but I'll try to keep as much of the look of the original pit as possible. The designs you are building are amazing. I'm worried my physical build won't do them justice.

Another idea I had was to size the ACM panel large enough so that I could replace it with an A-10C scratchpad - going to buy the pre-made one instead of trying to make another entire panel. This will be very useful for the A-10 and other aircraft.

------

10/16: Added the rest of front console. I straightened out the panels, but am working on ways to get the angles right. The front side panels should be able to rotate inwards a bit without affecting the rest of the build, so that the right spacing can be achieved. I'll see how far I get on the side consoles tonight. Might be ready to put together with the seat pretty soon.

-----

10/16: Full Build.skp is up. This has everything for the front pit, with four of the panels added. Based on pit sizing, the original panel sizes were a bit small. I've adjusted them to fill the space available, so there will be much more room for the switches and buttons (this is good, because I was having trouble fitting labels on the panels). I will redesign the laser cutter design files for the panels with the revised sizes sometime in the near future.

Edited by Dino Might

One fitup issue so far:

I need to get the width (and height would be nice as well) of the ACM panel, above the center display.

I'd also like to know what gauge size is used for the altimeter, airspeed indicator, etc. I spec'd them out as having 4"x4" rectangular mounting plates, but I see a lot of modern stuff uses 3" rounds with unspecified mounting plate size. With the 4x4 sizing, there isn't enough room to fit the AOA indicator on the left, and wing sweep indicator on the right, or either of the fuel shutoff handles.

VzhNh5jl.png

Either the ACM is sized too wide (currently much wider than the center display), or my center display and overall model width is too narrow.

ETA: Just looked at some images. Some photos have the AOA/wing sweep indicators outside ACM panel portion of the glare shield, and some have them inside the ACM panel portion of the glare shield. Basically, the above model ACM panel is too wide, but can still be built as a single part - just need to add recesses on the side so that the indicators will fit onto that part correctly. Basically, the above markup is correct, but I don't actually need to change the overall width of that section, just make indicator section cutouts and adjust the glare shield design.

Edited by Dino Might

New version of "Full Build" uploaded.

pUNw8ZSl.png

I added the rest of the instrument panels and put labels where I could. I also brought the side panels in a bit by shrinking the panels that mount the fuel gauges. I think the end result is pretty close to what it should be.

I've decided on the B cockpit instead of the A. despite the fact that I really love the A, I do want the RWR up panel up front. I plan on using LCD screens for the fuel gauges.

ETA: AGH, just saw I didn't move the panels with the console - will be fixed shortly.

Edited by Dino Might

I've decided on the B cockpit instead of the A. despite the fact that I really love the A, I do want the RWR up panel up front. I plan on using LCD screens for the fuel gauges.

ETA: AGH, just saw I didn't move the panels with the console - will be fixed shortly.

When I decided which model to build it was easy. The B has always been my favorite. Building the A’s armament panel would have been more work for sure.

I’m all about the GE motors, DFCS, Sparrowhawk HUD and PTID.

I know it’s a long shot but if Heatblur is listening, I really hope that development continues and a 2001-2005 B upgrade will be part of the package at some point down the road. A kidney, arm/leg, first born son, whatever the price, just name it:lol:

I'd also like to know what gauge size is used for the altimeter, airspeed indicator, etc. I spec'd them out as having 4"x4" rectangular mounting plates, but I see a lot of modern stuff uses 3" rounds with unspecified mounting plate size.

Hey Dino,

I have an airspeed indicator somewhere, I will try and find it and get you measurements, but I broke my ankle, so being on crutches has slowed me down more than my normal slow. I have a few other instruments like fuel gauge, and panels and such. Not sure what all I have. Will try to find and get you the info.

Salute,

Punk

Hey Gypsy!, Did you ever get that ejection handle hooked up to a switch for your pit?

Punk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hey guys,

I've uploaded a few of the major front cockpit parts at the link below:

http://media.heatblur.se/F-14_B_Cockpit_Dimensions.rar

License: non-commercial, personal-use only. We encourage you to share any models you make based on these.

Hope it helps! Units are 1 unit = 1.0m

Edited by Cobra847
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Punk, sorry to hear about the ankle. Make sure you do a ton of physical therapy when the doc gives the go ahead. I had a mild ankle fracture that took more than a year to fully heal because I got lazy. Hoping you are back on your feet soon. And thanks for the measurements. I'm still using a lot of your reference pictures that you sent me a while ago.

Cobra,

Many thanks for the files, especially for taking time out of a no-doubt busy schedule to help our pit project. You and your team are an inspiration.

V/R

Dino

Edited by Dino Might

Hey guys,

License: non-commercial, personal-use only. We encourage you to share any models you make based on these.

awesome!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My DCS Mods, Skins, Utilities and Scripts

| Windows 10 | i7-4790K | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | 32GB RAM | 3TB SSD |

| TM Warthog Stick | CH Pro Throttle + Pro Pedal | TIR5 Pro | TM MFD Cougar | Gun Camera: PrtScn |

Hey guys,

Cobra, you are amazing! I'm getting another licence and as many shirts as I can afford tonight. :pilotfly:

As a side note, that model is the sexiest thing to ever grace my computer. Wow!

Dino and Punk, if your keen we should potentially do some sort combined build log/ page/post community F-14 project thingy. I'll have to think about how to do it but it would be great.

Punk,

Sucks to hear about your ankle. Hope it's a speedy recovery.

Cheers,

Mumbles

Edited by AusMumbles

Dino and Punk, if your keen we should potentially do some sort combined build log/ page/post community F-14 project thingy. I'll have to think about how to do it but it would be great.

Definitely. I plan on taking photos and documenting my tools, methods, and progress - a little for vanity (in case it turns out nicely), but mostly for having good instructions lessons learned for future versions. My vision is a full set of templates that someone can download and use for cutting the wood, a set of STL files to load into a 3-D printer, and a set of Correl Draw or other image files that can be loaded directly into a laser cutter. Make it a one-stop shop for all the plans needed, and then have a build log showing how we did it.

That's a great idea! I may be able to contribute a little bit too.

Here's a pic as I was wiring up the front panel and before installing the 7" Lilliput monitors.

m4QOJ3t.jpg

and one during a test fit

D3KggQX.jpg

Wow, nice! What build material did you use? I just picked up some 3/8" plywood today, but I'm a bit worried it won't be stiff enough. I was thinking about doing the seat in 1/2" MDF, but I'm not sure about whether the MDF would need stiffeners for some of the horizontal members (e.g., seat pan).