Leap Motion support for VR

Sharkku

I'm not sure where they are on the Leap. I personally do not like it :) There are a few threads from other folks discussing the Leap in this subforum.

Edited by DerekSpeare

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

I think I'm seeing basically 3 different versions.

One is with the mount for VR, and sells for ~$90.

http://www.amazon.com/Leap-Motion-Developer-Bundle-VR-AZ/dp/B00SKWR4PE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1464543068&sr=8-3&keywords=Leap+Motion+Leap+Motion

One might be an earlier version (???) and sell for ~$25 without the mount.

http://www.amazon.com/Leap-Motion-Controller-interaction-Packaging/dp/B0176M1GHA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1464542243&sr=8-2&keywords=Leap+Motion+Leap+Motion

And another that sells for ~$50, also without the mount.

http://www.amazon.com/Leap-Motion-Controller-Gesture-Control/dp/B00E3CP9UM/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1464497005&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=Laep+Motion+controller

Since the VR goggle mount is available for ~$20, or (I assume) you could just mount it to the CV1 via Velcro (???) ... is there any difference between the last 2, or more importantly ... will either work equally as well with a CV1 for DCS?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

XSPC Water Cooled ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Formula

Intel i7-6700K @ 4.5Ghz

32GB-3200Mhz Rip Jaw DDR4 RAM.

EVGA GTX 980Ti SC+

Samsung 950 512GB SSD

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

Saitek Combat Pro Pedals

Mod'd OpenWheeler cockpit

Oculus Rift CV1.

I'm not sure what you are talking about, @wormeaten. The Leap tracks your hands in space 6 DOF. You attach it to your Rift, and then your hands are there in virtual space. You can move them however you like, as long as you keep them in view. I'm assuming you don't own a Leap or HMD yourself? But if you do, I suggest you get yourself FSX or P3D and download FlyInside, and try it out for yourself. It really works!

@MacThai_75: I haven't read up on different versions recently, but as far as I know there's really only one Leap. Bundled together with different mounts etc. Doesn't really matter how you attach it, velcro will do fine I guess.

@Derek: Hi man! ;) So you come here as well? :) I agree that the Leap isn't perfect, but it's by far the best option out there for 3D cockpit interaction. What would you suggest otherwise?

Edited by Sharkku

I'm not sure what you are talking about, @wormeaten. The Leap tracks your hands in space 6 DOF. You attach it to your Rift, and then your hands are there in virtual space. You can move them however you like, as long as you keep them in view. I'm assuming you don't own a Leap or HMD yourself? But if you do, I suggest you get yourself FSX or P3D and download FlyInside, and try it out for yourself. It really works!

Not in DCS and there is the problem. You can't really evaluate LM in DCS without proper support. Right now you can LM use in DCS only as mouse and that is actually 2D in 3D space.

Only then could work properly in DCS what will be great but right now is not usable in DCS.

After doing some other searches I agree Sharkku .. it appears that the hardware is in fact the same, and the diff between the LM-010 and the LM-C01 (other than price) is the packaging.

In any case ... Leap Motion's site says that all their hardware is compatible with Orion beta (which apparently overcomes many of the original SW shortcomings) so I'll take the $25 version and see how it goes.

WRT: What it will/won't do in DCS ... if only a mouse, I'm all in, and will be very happy if only that. :)

Thanks for posting about it Sharkku!

Edited by MacThai_75

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

XSPC Water Cooled ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Formula

Intel i7-6700K @ 4.5Ghz

32GB-3200Mhz Rip Jaw DDR4 RAM.

EVGA GTX 980Ti SC+

Samsung 950 512GB SSD

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

Saitek Combat Pro Pedals

Mod'd OpenWheeler cockpit

Oculus Rift CV1.

Same, I'll report back also. I bought the $25 Amazon.com Leap and the $20 bracket from their website. (I don't have a 3D printer nor the desire to strap it down with rubber bands...)

I've seen some videos of the integration with FlyInside and it looks amazing. My only concern is that I don't have a dedicated cockpit, so I have to contend with my desk possibly making some switches inaccessible in 3D space. (If it's just a mouse pointer, no sweat.) I'm interested to see if this speeds up interaction with MFCDs in the A-10!

@MacThai_75: I haven't read up on different versions recently, but as far as I know there's really only one Leap. Bundled together with different mounts etc. Doesn't really matter how you attach it, velcro will do fine I guess.

@Derek: Hi man! ;) So you come here as well? :) I agree that the Leap isn't perfect, but it's by far the best option out there for 3D cockpit interaction. What would you suggest otherwise?

I'm in all the cool places with all the cool peeps :smartass: :smartass: It's more cool now that you're here! :thumbup:

I use the mouse, HOTAS and button controllers. I find that a good combination of the three give the performance I like. The Leap is a cool solution, and with the Orion package, quite robust, but it can be cumbersome and difficult for those who like more control. Some love it, and the option should be there, but I have reservations for the technology in the long term for it does not offer any tactile feedback. Maybe one day that will change, but it's a difficult problem to solve.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

I have an Oculus and LEAP motion device. Has anyone gotten a LEAP device to work in DCS and if so can you tell me how you did it. Oculus works great and the 3D environment is mind blowing!! Just need a way to interact with the cockpit switches and dials now using LEAP.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Cobraj

Commander - Air Group 51

airgroup51.net

Doesn't work in DCS. Have you tried LEAP yet? I tried it last year (still have it) but trying to "point and click" in LEAP is like trying to txt while going through a cobblestone street in a scooter. It's *so* hard to be accurate with your pointing, never mind trying to click on anything.

This technology will mature, I hope LEAP makes a ton of money. They seemed to have come to the market first and seemed to have pivoted the company to VR.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Doesn't work in DCS. Have you tried LEAP yet? I tried it last year (still have it) but trying to "point and click" in LEAP is like trying to txt while going through a cobblestone street in a scooter. It's *so* hard to be accurate with your pointing, never mind trying to click on anything.

Orion makes a huge difference for me. That said, finger tracking still isn't perfect due to occlusion. It would need a second camera looking from off-axis to sort that out. For what it costs, Leap is VERY impressive. Flyinside's integration proved to me that it has serious potential, but integration has to be tight.

npole... why so cryptic? You make me think you're breaking agreements by posting like that. :huh:

Huh, interesting. I'll have to try out Orion one of these days. I can give it a shot in FlyInside/Prepar3D.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

npole... why so cryptic? You make me think you're breaking agreements by posting like that. :huh:

Yes, NDA sorry, I can't post details (neither I have much of them.. only generic info). Anyway the E3 is around the corner.

Can someone post some details on what they used to get Leap working in DCS? So many options in Orion and other setups I'm very lost. I've been trying to get it to work in game for weeks. lol Anyone got a little step by step I can follow?

Thanks!

Regards,

Cobraj

Commander - Air Group 51

airgroup51.net

• 9 months later...

There will never be supported in DCS.

Reason is 2D mouse in 3D cockpit. LM is 3D hardware. What that means? Simply LM motion have X,Y and Z axis and mouse cursor is only moving on X and Y axis and following your head movement not staying in space like rest of the cockpit items. When you use LM or any other glove or similar VR for hands solution your hands stays in space exactly as your hands are and positioning it in VR environment. Mouse cursor in DCS following your head movement and that is where whole VR magic stops and confusing your brain and body with double input source for cursor, your hands and head in same time.

No, that is not a good argument. There is no technical reason it can't be supported. Why do you think that the mouse cursor has anything to do with it? Go try LEAP support in FSX/P3D with FlyInside, and you'll see how it works. It is VERY cool to be able to just reach out and touch buttons and switches in the cockpit.

To explain: The mouse cursor can co-exist with your LEAP hands, no problem. They are separate. LEAP hands interact with the cockpit in 3D space. But that interaction has to be supported from the ground up.

The question is if ED considers it a device worth supporting. Sadly I don't think they do, but I think they should.

Edited by Sharkku
  • Like 1

How it could work is that the LM tracks the x-y of your finger/hand in the cockpit for the mouse pointer and at a certain distance in the z axis you press the button/switch. Not a true 3d experience, but would work.

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11

No, that is not a good argument. There is no technical reason it can't be supported. Why do you think that the mouse cursor has anything to do with it? Go try LEAP support in FSX/P3D with FlyInside, and you'll see how it works. It is VERY cool to be able to just reach out and touch buttons and switches in the cockpit.

To explain: The mouse cursor can co-exist with your LEAP hands, no problem. They are separate. LEAP hands interact with the cockpit in 3D space. But that interaction has to be supported from the ground up.

The question is if ED considers it a device worth supporting. Sadly I don't think they do, but I think they should.

Mouse cursor is only thing DCS got to interact with cocpit. So this is completly ED issue not some VR hands issue. How can LM develop support for DCS when not have such support at all, or plan to do it. You got simple support in OR and again it is interact with your head move not with your hands.

In every 3D environment is possible to implement such support but ED didn't show inters to implement such thing in DCS and we how much they need to do much more simpler stuff so forget about it that you will see such support in next few years even is is possible.

How it could work is that the LM tracks the x-y of your finger/hand in the cockpit for the mouse pointer and at a certain distance in the z axis you press the button/switch. Not a true 3d experience, but would work.

It is already with using LM as mouse but that is the problem because when you move head you are loosing mouse because your hands are not in focus any more and mouse is not active. As well as when you are move your head cursor is moving as well.

Technically LM is working as should be but it is not good for any practical use.

It is useless but not from LM side.