What's the hardest thing to learn in the 10C?

OK, I've been flying the A-10A on the 104th and it's really been a blast. I love the way she flies, the visibility, the seemingly infinite fuel supply... etc. But it's too simple.

Glancing through the 10C's manual, the systems are so mouth wateringly complex I'm wondering if I should avoid the 10C for my own mental and physical health. :lol: Joking aside, I'm definitely going to pull the trigger as soon as I get some spare cash.

It seems the most difficult concept to grasp is how systems interact with each other. I understand the end result of certain things, i.e. slewing a maverick to the TGP, or telling another Hawg what your TGP is looking at. But I have no idea how you actually do these things.

What was the most difficult thing for you guys to figure out? Anything that looked hard but turned out to be easy?

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

OK, I've been flying the A-10A on the 104th and it's really been a blast. I love the way she flies, the visibility, the seemingly infinite fuel supply... etc. But it's too simple.

Glancing through the 10C's manual, the systems are so mouth wateringly complex I'm wondering if I should avoid the 10C for my own mental and physical health. Joking aside, I'm definitely going to pull the trigger as soon as I get some spare cash.

It seems the most difficult concept to grasp is how systems interact with each other. I understand the end result of certain things, i.e. slewing a maverick to the TGP, or telling another Hawg what your TGP is looking at. But I have no idea how you actually do these things.

What was the most difficult thing for you guys to figure out? Anything that looked hard but turned out to be easy?

Alright, so I'm going to break this down. First, I'd like to start by saying this: if you need any help learning the A-10C, let me know. I'm always looking for people to fly with and would be happy to teach you anything you'd like to know, including the entirety of the A-10.

Hardest part: the CDU. Definitely. Most people don't realize just how much functionality is here so they think it's easy, but in reality it's the most powerful piece of equipment on board the A-10. I've been flying since the A10C came out, and I'm still learning it.

Hard but turned out easy: this has to be the various weapons. I thought it would be a serious process to achieve clean pickle on every weapon, but it was actually relatively simple for all of them.

[TBS] [TFP] Slydog486, Veteran DCS Noob

Sent from OnePlus Two.

PC: MSI Z170A M7, i7-6700K, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4-3466, (x2) Asus GTX 1070 8GB STRIX [2-way SLI], (x2) Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, (x2) WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7,200 RPM, EVGA SuperNOVA P2 850W, Windows 10 Home, Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass.

Periph: Razer - Black Widow Chroma, Kraken 7.1 Chroma, Seiren, Naga Hex; Thrustmaster Warthog, TrackIR 5, Saitek Pro-Flight Rudder Pedals, (x2) 22" 1920x1080, Bose Companion 5.

Get the hotas tm joystick and throttle. Everything will be mapped out of the box and the a10c will all make sense.

If you choose to another route it can be done also, with a little work involved.

Intel i9-9900K 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080tiftw3, Windows 10, 1tb 970 M2, TM Warthog, 4k 144hz HDR g-sync.

If I remember correctly that's where you manage your loadout right? Back to the manual I go :cry:

Haha nope! That's the DSMS that you're talking about, or Digital Stores Management System. The CDU is used for navigation and things related to navigation.

Sent from OnePlus Two.

PC: MSI Z170A M7, i7-6700K, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4-3466, (x2) Asus GTX 1070 8GB STRIX [2-way SLI], (x2) Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, (x2) WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7,200 RPM, EVGA SuperNOVA P2 850W, Windows 10 Home, Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass.

Periph: Razer - Black Widow Chroma, Kraken 7.1 Chroma, Seiren, Naga Hex; Thrustmaster Warthog, TrackIR 5, Saitek Pro-Flight Rudder Pedals, (x2) 22" 1920x1080, Bose Companion 5.

Haha nope! That's the DSMS that you're talking about, or Digital Stores Management System. The CDU is used for navigation and things related to navigation.

Ah. For navigation I usually press F10 and head in the general direction of where I want to be... But configurable waypoints that appear on my HUD do sound nice. Also an autopilot that can do things other than hold my current path...

I don't need it.

I don't need it.

I don't need it....

I NEEEEEED IT

Ah. For navigation I usually press F10 and head in the general direction of where I want to be... But configurable waypoints that appear on my HUD do sound nice. Also an autopilot that can do things other than hold my current path...

I don't need it.

I don't need it.

I don't need it....

I NEEEEEED IT

Yeah but that's water, not navigation. You aren't the only one who watched SpongeBob as a kid! Anyways, the autopilot on an A10C unfortunately isn't navigational. It won't do a route for you. It has 3 modes:

Altitude and Heading hold,

Altitude (includes roll, so good for holding an orbit)

Path hold, for holding, say, a climb

Sorry to disappoint!

Sent from OnePlus Two.

Well damn. Doesn't it have an orbit autopilot? Or is that something else?

Also, just to be sure, can waypoints be edited/created in flight? I imagine it would simply be a matter of punching in coordinates. Are there preset waypoints for airports?

Getting ahead of myself... I just need to buy the damn thing.

E: Of course, as soon as I type this I get to the "waypoint creation" menu :doh:

Edited by Pocket Sized

Also, just to be sure, can waypoints be edited/created in flight? I imagine it would simply be a matter of punching in coordinates. Are there preset waypoints for airports?

E: Of course, as soon as I type this I get to the "waypoint creation" menu :doh:

Yes, you can hold it in an orbit with AP. And yes to both your waypoint questions.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

The autopilot is very simple, but it can be setup to orbit, yes.

E: Of course, as soon as I type this I get to the "waypoint creation" menu doh.gif

You can create waypoints as you've discovered, but there's also a 'divert' page to quickly bring up airport details/locations.

Just buy it :smilewink:

Systems wise it will be the CDU and the Maintenece Mode of the IFFCC.

Flying wise the A2A Refueling will get you some grey hairs aswell.

I'm flying the A-10 since... I think late 2012 and still learning some system points in the above mentioned systems. So this is a Module which will hold you on your toes for years to come.

Modules: Well... all of 'em

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VIII Hero | CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4 | GPU: GTX TITAN X (Maxwell) | SSD1: 256GB NVMe SSD System | SSD2: 250GB Games | HDD 4TB WD Red

I think it's best to make learning the A-10C a journey, not a destination. The manual is hundreds of pages long, and to be frank, that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Try some missions where you start in the air, with all your systems ready. Have fun making some gun runs or whatever.

Then pick one weapon system and learn it. Keep flying with just those weapons you know.

Then later on, decide to learn more about your TGP, or the TAD, or navigation, or landing, or takeoff, or start up, or countermeasures, or the CDU, or the RWR, aerial refueling, etc. Take it in pieces and increase the complexity and resistance in your missions as you go.

The CDU can also be used to sent hilarious text messages to other Hawgs.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

GCI: "Control to SEAD: Enemy SAM site 190 for 30, cleared to engage"

Striker: "Copy, say Altitude?"

GCI: "....Deck....it´s a SAM site..."

Striker: "Oh...."

Fighter: "Yeah, those pesky russian build, baloon based SAMs."

-Red-Lyfe

Best way to troll DCS community, make an F-16A, see how dedicated the fans really are :thumbup:

Hardest thing to learn is spotting a target that is not clearly marked by waypoint, mark or label is off. The TGP FLIR really annoys me.

Enemy Within and Maple Flag campaigns are ones that truly test your knowledge of this plane.

The CDU can also be used to sent hilarious text messages to other Hawgs.

You sure?

I only know how to send text messages by using the MSG page of one of the MFDs. Is there another way by using the CDU, or is the CDU already involved somehow when doing it through the MSG page?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yes, the message is typed on the CDU's keypad.

Good point.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I bought the module about 2 weeks ago along with the Warthog Hotas. Previously I was using a Hotas X. The Warthog helps tremendously since most commands are right at your finger tips.

I'm definitely still a noob when it comes to the plane and it's systems but I can fly online on the 104th, easily locate the target area, kill stuff with mavericks, spoof missile launches, etc. I.E. I have the basics down well enough to enjoy the module a lot.

PS And I don't have a lot of time to fly so I may have only 10-12 hours in cockpit in the A-10C.