This makes it very difficult to use Mavericks

jfri

According to what I have learned I do this when using Mavericks. Designate a SPI at or close to the targets. Slave all sensors to SPI. So far no problem the MFCD shows the target area and tracks it. But when I use the slew knob the view moves around also with the movement of the plane making it very difficult to lock on a target.

What is the best way to overcome this problem ?

Once set, your SPI will move with your TGP. Instead of slewing the maverick sensor head, slew the TGP.

Just to clarify, the Maverick head will move with the SPI, and the SPI, will move with the TGP. So TGP moving = Maverick head moving.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Edited by Slydog486
Remembered something.

PC: MSI Z170A M7, i7-6700K, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4-3466, (x2) Asus GTX 1070 8GB STRIX [2-way SLI], (x2) Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, (x2) WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7,200 RPM, EVGA SuperNOVA P2 850W, Windows 10 Home, Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass.

Periph: Razer - Black Widow Chroma, Kraken 7.1 Chroma, Seiren, Naga Hex; Thrustmaster Warthog, TrackIR 5, Saitek Pro-Flight Rudder Pedals, (x2) 22" 1920x1080, Bose Companion 5.

Just to clarify, the Maverick head will move with the SPI, and the SPI, will move with the TGP. So TGP moving = Maverick head moving.

Didn't know this, thanks. Will it lock while being moved via the TGP SPI?

Didn't know this, thanks. Will it lock while being moved via the TGP SPI?

It's a little... Odd. Sometimes, if the conditions are correct, yes. But most of the time, you'll need to change SOI to Mavs and lock it yourself. I still haven't figured out the "sweet spot" viewing angle that makes it 'autolock' if you will, but I have had it happen on more than one occasion before.

[TBS] [TFP] Slydog486, Veteran DCS Noob

Sent from OnePlus Two.

PC: MSI Z170A M7, i7-6700K, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4-3466, (x2) Asus GTX 1070 8GB STRIX [2-way SLI], (x2) Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, (x2) WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7,200 RPM, EVGA SuperNOVA P2 850W, Windows 10 Home, Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass.

Periph: Razer - Black Widow Chroma, Kraken 7.1 Chroma, Seiren, Naga Hex; Thrustmaster Warthog, TrackIR 5, Saitek Pro-Flight Rudder Pedals, (x2) 22" 1920x1080, Bose Companion 5.

Once set, your SPI will move with your TGP. Instead of slewing the maverick sensor head, slew the TGP.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

This does not work for me. In order to make the Maverick lock I must slew the Maverick to the target. I can slew the TGP to a target and lock on target. But that does not lock the Maverick. And slewing the TGP does not make the Maverick seeker slew with it. I just tried this and found out this.

Once the TGP is tracking then the maverick will be tracking so all you need to do is make mav SOI and then TMS up short to lock......then fire.

"Its easy,place the pipper on target and bombs away." :pilotfly:

i7-8700k/GTX 1080ti/VKB-GladiatorPRO/VKB-T-rudder Pedals/Saitek X55 throttle

This does not work for me. In order to make the Maverick lock I must slew the Maverick to the target. I can slew the TGP to a target and lock on target. But that does not lock the Maverick. And slewing the TGP does not make the Maverick seeker slew with it. I just tried this and found out this.

Make sure the TGP point track has a SPI under it and that the Mav is slaved to SPI. It should work then.

Sent from OnePlus Two.

Hi, sorry i dont know how to do links yet, but google

bunyap sims

Excellent tutorial vids! I cant recommend them higher

Explains what to do, why youre doing it, when to do it ect., (even tells you what switches to flick)

This is why you should find your targets and mark point them, then start your run at 10nm. Use the autopilot and then go from tgt to tgt. It works quite well.

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

This is why you should find your targets and mark point them, then start your run at 10nm. Use the autopilot and then go from tgt to tgt. It works quite well.

I completely agree with all of this except the autopilot part. While autopilot is nice, people really should learn to employ payloads without the need to take their hands off the stick or throttle, and especially be able to do so while maintaining a pilot-controlled stable, level flight. Once you learn this, autopilot is fine, but until then I'd highly recommend that anyone who hasn't learned to be proficient at this, keep trying until you are! In an emergency situation, you don't want to have to wrestle your A-10 to +5° so that autopilot kicks off or have to press the left pinky button. It adds to the pilots workload in an emergency and can really distract them from using effective countermeasures and doing proper defensive maneuvers. I understand that maiming level flight on your own does add to the workload, but you usually aren't employing weapons in an emergency situation, assuming you've planned your attacks and executed them in the manner you intended. This is not to say that autopilot is bad, however. I do think it has its place. On the other hand, I believe everyone should learn to effectively manage the aircraft without it, before implementing it into their "bag of tricks" for lack of a better word.

Sent from OnePlus Two.

Put the autopilot in path hold, point velocity vector roughly at the target and engage autopilot and what you get is essentially ground stabilized maverick. Autopilot in A-10 doesn't restrict the pilot in any way, it will disengage the moment you move the stick away from trimmed position for maneuvering. You are much better off shooting your mavericks quickly on targets you intended and breaking off early than trying to fly the plane at the same time and messing up the aiming and ending up too close to targets because you took too long to lock the target you wanted to shoot.

SA is all about directing your attention to the most relevant things. When you need to fly the plane straight the autopilot can do it for you with a single click of a button which frees more attention to making the attack run properly. This in turn will keep you out of harms way and help you notice hidden threats earlier than if part of your attention is directed at keeping the plane flying straight.

• Like 1

DCS Finland: Suomalainen DCS yhteisö -- Finnish DCS community

--------------------------------------------------

SF Squadron

From a previous post:

Although the MAV can be used like the TGP, it wasn't designed for that use. Ground stabilize in your TGP uses your EGI to find a point on the ground and maintain it. MAV only has a cone of view forward of the aircraft, and uses visual recognition rather than EGI.

If your MAV camera zooms away from the target quickly and you can't seem to slew where you want, that means your traversal velocity is too high. In other words, as the nose of your aircraft (and the mavs) moves in a line across the line of the target, your camera is unstable. The Mav doesn't have the stabilization abilities of the TGP. Try this, it works extremely well for me, and take note: you only have to manually track on the first Mav, because this one is coming off TGP slave. The next mavs just slew, autolock, rifle:

*13-15k ft, 10nm separation from target area

*TGP lock and SPI target, slave all SOI to SPI

*Line up with target

*neg 8-10 on the pitch and path autopilot

*throttles all the way back

*Let the aircraft stabilize

*Switch to Mav camera and TMS FWD Short for track (first target only)

*Fire, acquire, fire, acquire... etc.

The mav camera is much more stable. You'll still be more than 5nm away at 10k or higher and you'll have up to 6 mavs in the air.

NOW.. you don't have to use the TGP to get your target on. I've actually used the MAV head to seek a target when I didn't have a TGP loaded. Once again just give the MAV head camera a stable platform. Use the above method minus the TGP in step 2, and it will not be necessary to TMS FWD Short for track, since you aren't slaved to TGP. Don't forget to use the FOV feature of the MAV head to zoom in and out on the area to facilitate faster or slower slewing.

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

I should also mention; sometimes I'll get in orbit and place a mark point on each target group (TMS Short Right from TGP, HUD, or TAD). You can then go to first mark, China FWD then fire, go second mark, China FWD then fire, etc. I use this method in a high threat area where I have multiple targets but I want to avoid multiple passes.

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

Put the autopilot in path hold, point velocity vector roughly at the target and engage autopilot and what you get is essentially ground stabilized maverick.

That's brilliant, thank you for this. I always struggled without locking on TGP first (which took too much time) but with PATH HOLD I can fire 6 MAVs in a single pass :)

Put the autopilot in path hold, point velocity vector roughly at the target and engage autopilot and what you get is essentially ground stabilized maverick. Autopilot in A-10 doesn't restrict the pilot in any way, it will disengage the moment you move the stick away from trimmed position for maneuvering. You are much better off shooting your mavericks quickly on targets you intended and breaking off early than trying to fly the plane at the same time and messing up the aiming and ending up too close to targets because you took too long to lock the target you wanted to shoot.

Is the mavericks functioning as realistic as possible?I ask this because I have always tried maverick runs with maverick just bore sighted and this wont work.Why can't I fly the bore sighted maveick reticule over a target and it instantly locks?I also tried flying the reticule onto target and then TMS up but it will not lock.I have to first move the reticule slightly,then fly the reticule back to target and then TMS up to lock.Seems weird but as usual this could be how the real mavericks function.:joystick:

Is the mavericks functioning as realistic as possible?I ask this because I have always tried maverick runs with maverick just bore sighted and this wont work.Why can't I fly the bore sighted maveick reticule over a target and it instantly locks?I also tried flying the reticule onto target and then TMS up but it will not lock.I have to first move the reticule slightly,then fly the reticule back to target and then TMS up to lock.Seems weird but as usual this could be how the real mavericks function.:joystick:

Because the Maverick is a stupid, stupid missile that, in real life, liked to give you a solid lock and then go "This road/rock/dead tank looks like a target aswell" and just hit the dirt.

It´s sensor is also not the bestest, which is why it´s not instantly locking some target.

Also, imagine your Mav locking on to everything in your path, buildings, bridges, civilian cars...

You´d hate that feature.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

GCI: "Control to SEAD: Enemy SAM site 190 for 30, cleared to engage"

Striker: "Copy, say Altitude?"

GCI: "....Deck....it´s a SAM site..."

Striker: "Oh...."

Fighter: "Yeah, those pesky russian build, baloon based SAMs."

-Red-Lyfe

Best way to troll DCS community, make an F-16A, see how dedicated the fans really are :thumbup:

But pointing its sensors and pressing TMS up should cause it to lock and sounds like it would be a great way to use it.

Then again I always ask myself the question of is it smart to question a sim that allows me to steer down runway during takeoff with ailerons.:megalol:

You can lock a bore-sighted Maverick just by using TMS up. You have to be incredibly smooth with the controls though.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

• 2 months later...

If you are using the TGP to paint and SPI, you HAVE to then slave your MAVs to your SPI. It doesn't do it by itself, you have to do it manually every time.

An alternate method, is to simply point your nose at the target and slew your MAVs with your stick, if that makes sense. That's actually in the manual. Although, this is probably a last resort method, simply because you have to be close enough to see your target with your own eyeballs.....which means they can see you.....which is never really a good thing. Using your TGP to slave your MAVs is probably the best method, though. You can take your time and keep your distance while sorting yourself out.

A10C (FTW)_P-51D_F15C

GTX 780 3GB ACX | Intel I7-3770K @ 3.5 | 16GB DDR4 | TM Warthog :joystick: | no pedals| improvised TrackIR :gun_smilie:

I think he's misunderstanding known issues/limitations with getting initial target lock with the Mav.

It's not that Mavs will lock one target and then "decide" to go for another, it's just that through the Mav seeker a bush and a tank can look the same, and the missile doesn't know or care, so you end up locking the wrong target.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

I should also mention; sometimes I'll get in orbit and place a mark point on each target group (TMS Short Right from TGP, HUD, or TAD). You can then go to first mark, China FWD then fire, go second mark, China FWD then fire, etc. I use this method in a high threat area where I have multiple targets but I want to avoid multiple passes.

I thought China FWD short would change the Mav FOV and China FWD long would slew to TGP or current SPI. If you are switched to MarkPoint does the MarkPoint become the SPI? I thought China AFT long slew all sensors to MarkPoint?

I'm super noob, so just trying to understand the workflow. Are you saying China AFT long to slew to MkPoint. Then as you change MkPoint and the next Mav is slewing, use the China FWD short to change FOV to help it lock?