Announcement - new A-10C DLC training campaign

Your campaigns are sooo good - that intro alone is immersive....

ever thought about the Mig 21 at any level? Its pretty popular and a campaign like this would be all we need.

I have been thinking about it, especially that Polish Air Force used to fly these. It is on my distant to-do list.

For the moment I need to finish Iron Flag, Red Flag for M-2000C, and move on to Harrier training missions and then campaign as well. And I have another A-10C campaign for Caucasus in the works (around half of it ready), but MiG-21 is something I may consider at some point.

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

I never tried any campaign, as I always got the feeling that it is too complex for me to fly. We need more complains for beginners.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X | 64GB DDR4-3200 Ram | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | MFG Crosswind rudder pedals | HP Reverb

BD's will be the new benchmark..

Hey BD! I just read BeachAV8R's article and review in MUDSPIKE of your Iron Flag – 4th of July Sortie and man oh man it looks soooo polished. Love the new look maps and briefings and how awesome is the kneeboard with waypoint routes and radio frequencies, I've always wanted that! And those night screen shots over NTTR.. beautiful! Along with many others, I cannot wait for this one. I reckon after this Campaign is completed there will be a before and after, this will herald in the new gen of campaigns.

As usual, awesome effort BD, u da man!

thumbup.gif

:: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900K :: Asus ROG Strix Z790-A mobo :: Asus Tuff Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti :: NZXT Kraken Elite 280 RGB AIO white cooler :: G Skill Trident Z Royals DDR4 4x16GB = 64GB :: WD Black SN 850X NVMe SSD 2TB M.2 (C Drive) :: Samsung 860 Pro 2TB SATA (D Drive) :: Corsair Crystal 680X White Case :: Asus XG349C 34" Curve G-Sync 180Hz 3440x1440 Mon :: Corsair 850W PSU :: Virpil Constellation Alpha-R Stick with VPC WarBRD Base :: Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle :: 3 x CubeSim ext mini screens with TM Cougar MFD Bezels :: Asus ROG Pugio 503 Gaming Mouse & Razer BlackWidow mech kb :: TrackIR 5 Pro & Cap Clip :: Win 11 64 Bit 😉

I think the Iron Flag will be the thing for you - a training campaing for A-10 getting you through all the basic and advanced systems of the plain in a relaxed way.

Sounds promising.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X | 64GB DDR4-3200 Ram | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | MFG Crosswind rudder pedals | HP Reverb

Wow let's see I originally bought a-10c back in 2011 and played with my saitek x52 pro for some time. Six years later I decided to upgrade to the TM warthog throttle and stick. What a difference in the input handling and realism.

Reason I stopped studying this sim was the lack of time and there weren't that many instructional videos when I started.

I think your training campaign is just what I need since I finished the in game training tutorials but I still felt a little lost/empty and not courageous enough to try the campaign.

I even got the maple leaf basic flight qualifications dlc but I still don't feel ready to start that one as it's not per say training..more of an assessment which I'm fine with if I felt a little better in terms of overall flying the hog.

I watched the preview videos of the iron flag training campaign on YouTube. I think there are 4 total. I was amazed at the level of detail and how immersive it looked. It all just seemed so natural and even the person who was playing this preview mission mentioned he never felt rushed, nervous, and pretty much felt like even if you knew nothing you could jump in at the beginning.

I literally can not wait for this to drop as it will be a day one purchase for me. I've been lurking in the forums for a while and finally created an account so I can keep up with the news here.

Appreciate all the work you've done so far and I hope it's released soon. Being a software developer myself, I completely understand if it requires more time. Can't wait for the first mission preview you mentioned. I'll probably fly that over and over until the campaign is released and then I'll probably feel ready for the maple leaf qualifications test.

My guess is it could be ready when dcs world 2.0 comes out of early access? As the NTTR map is only available for 2.0?

Either way, I'm excited and wanted to thank you for putting the time into this to help out new people. Always wanted to be a pilot in the USAF since I was a kid but I was denied due to not having 20/20 vision. Now I can do it from home! Still not like the real thing but oh well it is what it is.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

Baltic Dragon and I wanted to give you guys a better idea of what we're trying to do with Iron Flag, let you guys have the opportunity to actually get hands on with it and for us to get feedback from you. So with that in mind, we are going to release Mission 01 for free download (link at the bottom). This mission will cover your startup, taxi, takeoff, recovery and shutdown procedures. Additionally, you'll be introduced to our ATC system and some of our Iron Flag/Nellis SOPs (Standard Operating Procedures).

Although Mission 01 represents a small portion of what we are planning on doing, hopefully, what we've done thus far stands out and represents the rest of the project accurately. We try to walk a very thin line combining what is possible within DCS, how things are done within the real world and what most people would be interested in learning and doing. A lot of thought has gone into finding that line and I think we're damn close to are a really good blend of fun, realism, and feasibility. Some of the more savvy amongst us may figure out we're not flying that Nellis FYTTR FOUR departure exactly as published or that something we do at the range goes against what it says in AFI 13-212. You should still have the opportunity in Iron Flag to get as crazy as you want with that stuff. At the same time, we're not going to punish the guy who doesn't know how to fly radials or drop bombs using sleds, by making mission success and training progression contingent on those types of things. We also don't want to spend hours teaching someone who is not interested these things either.

As far as progress with Iron Flag, progress is being made albeit slowly. Baltic has been pretty busy with family, work, other projects, and travel. I've been blessed with another baby boy, an upcoming PCS move, buying a house for the first time and a shit-ton of research for Iron Flag. Amazing how a little bit of knowledge can show you how much you DON'T know! Things will be slow for the next few months but we should speed things up soon after that. Right now Dragon is getting close to finishing up the navigation and systems side of things. In the background, I'm doing a lot of research for the foundation of the tactical side of flying and fighting in the hog. With those foundations built and ideas on how we want to do things that are applicable to every sortie, progress should pick up a bit.

Having said that, we have got 4 missions to BETA status, all of them of similar complexity to what you are about to see in Mission 1. We also consider the copy of Mission 01 you see here as a Beta. More changes are sure to be made between now and the release of Iron Flag. There are known issues even with this release, especially with the AI behavior which at this time cannot be fixed. Again, think of this only as a representation of the final product.

Thank you guys, for your excitement and interest in this project. Have a play though and let us know what you think both good and bad. Tell us what we did well and what we got wrong. Above all, just have a good time!

-Doughboy

Mission 01 Download Link

• Like 3

Go Ugly Early!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

To add to what Doughboy said - when flying, please take your time to read the briefing, go through the kneeboard notes etc. Make sure that you are prepared.

Also, there is an annoying bug (ED is aware and it should be fixed soon hopefully) with subtitles during radio transmissions - if you turn the radio knobs (or any other knobs, like TACAN) when the radio transmission is playing, it will duplicate the subtitle for each knob turn. So try to switch the frequencies when nobody is talking (a rare occurence in this mission).

Also, speaking about radios - really pay attention to the frequencies on which you are supposed to be. You won't be rushed so take your time. And enjoy!!

I have also added the link to the mission in the first post.

• Like 3
ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

Wow, thank you for sharing the mission! I'll try the mission after work.

13700k @5.6GHz | 32GB DDR4 4000MHz CL14 | ASUS Z690 TUF  | GIGABYTE RTX4090 Gaming OC | Samsung 970PRO 512G + 980PRO 2T

GIGABYTE M32U | HP Reverb G2

Warthog HOTAS | TPR | JetSeat | TrackIR5

Windows 11

Where do you put the .miz file in order to have the mission show up in DCS World?

It requires DCS World 2.1 (aka OpenAlpha) with the Nevada terrain. Do you have that?

If Nevada is properly installed, the best place would be your Saved Games\DCS OpenAlpha\Missions folder, and then in DCS -> Mission just navigate to "My missions" or something like that, and it should show up.

Edit: @sze5003, sniped ya :D

Edited by Yurgon

Where do you put the .miz file in order to have the mission show up in DCS World?
You need the NTTR map and latest 2.1 dcs installed. I believe latest is 2.1.1

• Like 1

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

You need the NTTR map and latest 2.1 dcs installed. I believe latest is 2.1.1

It requires DCS World 2.1 (aka OpenAlpha) with the Nevada terrain. Do you have that?

If Nevada is properly installed, the best place would be your Saved Games\DCS OpenAlpha\Missions folder, and then in DCS -> Mission just navigate to "My missions" or something like that, and it should show up.

Yes, I have DCS 2 alpha and have purchased the Nevada terrain. I had uninstalled it and gone back to 1.5 since none of the missions/campaigns/training showed up in 2. Good to know, though, thanks for the clarification. Perhaps the best approach is to have them both installed side by side then I could do the built-in missions with 1.5 and these missions with 2.

Yes, I have DCS 2 alpha and have purchased the Nevada terrain. I had uninstalled it and gone back to 1.5 since none of the missions/campaigns/training showed up in 2. Good to know, though, thanks for the clarification. Perhaps the best approach is to have them both installed side by side then I could do the built-in missions with 1.5 and these missions with 2.
You can have them both installed in different locations. There is a thread somewhere here that lets you use command line options to update and install dcs pacakages and modules. In that thread they also go over how to create different install locations.

The stuff from 1.5 won't be available in 2.1.1 for some time I think.

You can have them both installed in different locations. There is a thread somewhere here that lets you use command line options to update and install dcs pacakages and modules. In that thread they also go over how to create different install locations.

The stuff from 1.5 won't be available in 2.1.1 for some time I think.

Yes, I had them both installed previously and didn't really have to do anything other than install them both with the default options. They default to different directory names and they seemed to run fine side by side so it sounds like that's the way to go for now. Thanks :)

You can have them both installed in different locations. There is a thread somewhere here that lets you use command line options to update and install dcs pacakages and modules.

Good point.

If there's enough space on the HDD/SSD to install both in parallel, I'd go for it, that offers the best flexibility (OpenAlpha will install into a different directory from the release version, it's really separate).

If HDD space is too limited, one could always use the DCS Updater, like sze says. Here's the thread:

GUIDE: Using DCS Updater to Update, Revert, Repair, or Install Modules

Edit: Okay, now I got sniped. Good choice. ;)

I again have 1.5 and 2 installed side by side. For 2, where is the "Saved Games" directory you're referring to? I don't see that under the DCS 2 directory structure.

I again have 1.5 and 2 installed side by side. For 2, where is the "Saved Games" directory you're referring to? I don't see that under the DCS 2 directory structure.
Put the mission the mods folder of your dcs installation. There is a mods folder then aircraft​ then a-10c and inside there you find missions folder for single player. You can place it there. Dcs should pick it up when you load it.

Put the mission the mods folder of your dcs installation. There is a mods folder then aircraft​ then a-10c and inside there you find missions folder for single player. You can place it there. Dcs should pick it up when you load it.

That worked! Thanks!