My frustrating experiences with #2 „Airferry“ - Who has passed this mission?

Here is a summary of issues which I had so far with #2 “Airferry”

first issue: engine coolant overheat before take-off

manual start procedure (as done in #1 and "thousand" times before in other scenarios with no problem)

when reaching the RWY coolant temp at red line, engine died soon after

reason: unknown

solution: CHEAT “auto start procedure”

second issue: long wait or no ATC take-off clearance when at holding point RWY 27

reason: RWY holding point has not been simulated, trigger zone for ATC clearance is very close to RWY or even on the RWY

solution: you may enter RWY without ATC clearance (!!) and you’ll immediately be cleared for take-off

third issue: mission failed message at WP3

reason: has nothing to do with WP3 but with WP2 only, map and trigger zone do not match.

If one overflies WP2 on course as shown on the kneeboard map you won’t touch the trigger zone.

solution: Disregard the kneeboard map and overfly WP2 with take-off heading until the ATC confirms “outer maker”

fourth issue: mission failed message after WP3 “deviation from course”

reason: unkown

solution: unknown

I’m sorry, this mission #2 has not been designed well.

On the one hand it mercifully allows cheating, disregards critical ATC clearance procedures and uses incorrect trigger points.

On the other hand it tells you merciless “mission failed” but without telling and explaining, why and how.

A precise briefing and a clear de-briefing is the basis of each Air-Force mission.

For this campaign:

Which flying skills are challenged? A clear briefing is needed, less story telling.

What went wrong? A helpful de-briefing is needed.

No learning curve means not to make any progress in this campaign. You are stuck.

I wonder how many of you have passed this #2 mission?

Edited by wernst
  • Like 2

My skills are lower the middle.

Dzen, I wasn't asking for the level of skills (high, middle, low)

I want to know which type of flying abilities are meant to be tested in this mission.

The #1 mission was meant to test take-off, pattern flying, touch and go, landing skills.

Which skills are meant with #2 mission?

Flying NOE? Following the straight course line on the map? Following the river?

I simply don't know for what I'm challenged here?

Because there is no feed back how or why I failed the mission target.

You're right that it's not very clear but I think you get the deviation from course failure when you fly too high or take a significant wrong turn. When you fly too high I think you get a message from an F-16 or Su-27 depending on where exactly you go to high.

So long as you stay low and follow the general route as indicated in the kneeboard map past WP3 it seems to work fine for me. Looks like they're testing following a flight path while staying low but it's a bit unclear overall.

• ED Team

This is not "Challenge" campaign. There are no testing of abilities here. Just flying for fun. You should fly from Beslan to Soganlug so low that the Border Service can not see you. If you got the message from the jet fighters, it mean that you were too high.

Follow the route so low as you can. Don't deviate from route.

9677360.png

9668144.jpg

Sorry for my English

Edited by Dzen

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This is not "Challenge" campaign. There are no testing of abilities here. Just flying for fun.

Dzen, all DCS campaigns have challenges and they are all challenging campaigns.

Flying (NOE) near of earth close to power lines in a curvy valley IS a big challenge, and mastering this challenge gives great fun.

Your video was truly helpful.

Meanwhile I have encountered another issue, which might be the reason why I'm stuck at WP3.

When Beslan ATC asks to RESPOND over WP3 I am not able to switch to the main radio menu anymore.

It was possible on the ground and at the RWY for take-off. But soon after take-off the main radio menu switch doesn't have any function.

What goes wrong here?

• ED Team

Meanwhile I have encountered another issue, which might be the reason why I'm stuck at WP3.

When Beslan ATC asks to RESPOND over WP3 I am not able to switch to the main radio menu anymore.

It was possible on the ground and at the RWY for take-off. But soon after take-off the main radio menu switch doesn't have any function.

What goes wrong here?

You should use different combos before takeoff and in flight. See picture.

9688663.jpg

It's a feature of DCS.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You should use different combos before takeoff and in flight. See picture.

9688663.jpg

It's a feature of DCS.

o.k. - in the air PTT has to be used - which is, of course, used in real flight only, on the ground as well as in the air.

I was assuming that the insert reads "F10 radio menu" it is the same com menu as used on the ground before.

I'll try this and hope to get one step further.

thanks, Dzen, for your patience.

When you open your comms menu, you will see F10. Other; this is where custom radio messages incorporated by the mission builder will appear. Anything outside of basic wingman and ATC comms will be found in that menu.

It is important to note that these custom radio options may not all be immediately available when you start a mission. They can be added or removed mid-mission based on conditions set by the mission builder.

• 7 months later...

I flew it today (tried), did it ok, but had to use a lot of manual opening of the oil radiator. First try taxied to the wrong side, failed. Second one, flew a bit too high and got detected, failed. Third one did ok up to the landing... Crashed and failed.

Tomorrow is another day...

• 6 months later...

Flew ten or so times now but don't have cooling issues.

I can use some advice on the tight low turns in decending valleys past the pass. I get a bit high a s some hills are low and you gotta stay below them. I' m wondering if using a little flap and slowing down would help. I'm typically between 200 and 250 through there.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

• 7 months later...

After three or four painstaking attempts I completed mission two this evening, what a feeling of satisfaction when you pull up beside the truck after landing on waypoint 16. I have to say this is awesome, you have to fly low as possible for the entire flight, it's terrifying.

4.8 I7, 1080, TMW&T, SSD, VKB MK.IV.