Announcing Tu-22M3 Troika by Black Cat Simulations

Great news in that you got a 3rd guy on the team, Brian!

I'd be happy to buy her with whatever weapons and avionics you manage to fit her out with. But I am just very curious if your Kh-15 statement includes the anti-radiation variant? :)

I understand you may be bound to some NDA's when negotiating with Eagle Dynamics and possibly some intellectual property holders. But I am wondering if there's something you could let slip, and tell us when all those types of loops have been jumped through and all that stands between us and flying the Backfire is the technical work.

I really hope everything is going to work out. I'm already very emotionally invested in the module!

Thanks!

Check my F-15C guide

Yea I would also like to know what variants of the KH-15 an KH-22 we will get. Great work anyway guys this is one of the planes I thought id never see in this sim. I wish you guys the best of luck with your developments. Also I know a guy who has some skill texturing in dcs if you would like some more help with what your doing.

Edited by FraserNZL

WOW! I'm totally in love with the Backfire! I was dreaming of it so much that I made a mission with AI Tu-22s just to watch them do their thing. Instant buy for me.

This is a very interesting project that will open up a whole new front for developing bigger theatres. Best of luck!

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

Black Cat Simulations Tu-22M3 Backfire Update

19 May 2016

Firm details:

- 'We' is still three for now, ExtremeArtist3D, alieneye, and myself.

- We'll be going to the Ukraine in July to poke around in a Tu-22M3. I'll be bringing my nifty 3D scanner (Artec EVA) to make scans of the cockpits, weapons bay, all the little details. I'm probably going to scan every cockpit they let me into so I can bring back material for others.

- We'll be talking with Backfire pilots (alpha testers) while we're there.:pilotfly:

- We're working on ways to take your money soon...scanners, tickets to Europe, some software tools, all that stuff is a hurtin'...:(

- Meanwhile, we model, and we program.

Brian

Black Cat Simulations

I'm very glad to you have such a serious BCS members, committed to this project. Do you envision collecting money something like Kickstarter?

So, somewhat fluid ground here, but the intention is to do an IndieGoGo campaign sometime after the trip to Ukraine. For a formal fundraising thing like that, we need to have a very substantial polished presentation, not of the final product, but of impressive progress to date with an achievable goal, and real estimate of delivery date.

Right now, nothing is together, much less polished. I've got a programming environment in place, a structure for the flight and propulsion models, along with system modeling and cockpit indication programming, but it's an empty shell while I build up the design requirements for everything. I'm also doing several aerodynamic studies to get performance and dynamics data I believe and is validated by open source information. On the modeling side, ExtremeArtist3D and alieneye are butchering the basic model we started with, and are building it up into something as pretty as their past work. Basically, everything has its guts torn apart, but it is being put together in an organized, and relatively quick manner.

That said, I think there are a lot of people on these boards who were hit very hard and passionately by the ideas and concepts behind the Backfire simulation. They get it, they're 'true believers'. I think they would be willing to take part in bringing the Backfire to realization, and reducing the risks to that realization. Translation: give money now to reduce financial instability. I have asked someone (the three of us do nothing but 'core' work) to build us a website, put a Paypal account on it, and offer some exchange of licenses, swag, and anything else I can think of in exchange for giving now. I'm also trying to find ways for this project to give back to the DCS community and future beyond the final product, in terms of sharing our development process and experiences openly, and making available what source code we can for others to learn from. To the degree we can help inspire future DCS development efforts, giving would be for the benefit of all. We're not greedy, just realistic that money helps at this point.

I'll step away from the podium now...

Brian

to do an IndieGoGo campaign

:thumbup:

do not make the mistake like Kinney Interactive did 3 years ago: given that only two weeks of their DCS:F-35A kickstarter campaign

people need time to hear about your project

so just choose a long time campaign and set the deadline for 60 days at least, imho

sign-pic4.jpg

Take the events that have happened in the past and use it to your advantage to avoid those pitfalls. Keep at it gentlemen

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

I'm probably going to scan every cockpit they let me into so I can bring back material for others.

Sounds like a great idea for an up and coming studio. There is a definite want for more eastern aircraft in DCS right now and the State Aviation Museum of Ukraine has some very interesting subjects.

My eye is specifically on the MiG-27K, MiG-25RBT, MiG-23BN and MiG-23ML. The MiG-17F and MiG-21PFM would be good for a Vietnam scenario (and Arab-Israeli wars) and there has been some interest in the Su-15TM to oppose the LNS Viggen. For many of the Middle Eastern/Persian Gulf wars the Su-7BM and Su-17M had a lot of involvement and there is a want for transports like the An-26 and AN-2.

Anyway, good luck with your trip and I am really looking forward to having the Troika as a flyable in DCS.

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

This just a personal observation/point of view:

I am personally quite cautious what modules I spend money on these days. In the past, I have been burnt a few times with paying a high price for modules that are still in beta today, and we have still some examples of developers with ED 3rd party status that are having huge delays and issues in delivering a finished product = A lot of unhappy customers.

The last beta I bought is the M2000, and I did so with a 30% discount, and because I saw that the dev is very active in fixing bugs, with good communication etc.

I would suggest this:

Develop a professional flight model first. Some devs sold modules with SFM with the promise of releasing the EFM later on. I think this backfired to a certain big extent. I prefer to have limited systems modelling but advanced FM since day 1.

With this released as beta, everyone can enjoy an FC3 level aircraft, with updates providing more and more system modelling.

Not sure I would support something outside of the DCS shop right now.

Sorry if I sound negative, but I'd hate to see such an ambitious project go down the drain like the F-35 or the WW2 kickstarter.

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

I'm glad you're taking the time to make a serious and well argumented presentation for IndieGoGo. If I want to support a business plan, I want to know exactly where the money goes and if it is realistic. Most plans on crowdfund sites are empty shells that are doomed to fail (amazing that people backed the DCS WWII project).

I'd rather see a $500,000 target project that is realistic, than a $50,000 target project that promises the world.

Good luck guys!

This just a personal observation/point of view:

I am personally quite cautious what modules I spend money on these days. In the past, I have been burnt a few times with paying a high price for modules that are still in beta today, and we have still some examples of developers with ED 3rd party status that are having huge delays and issues in delivering a finished product = A lot of unhappy customers.

The last beta I bought is the M2000, and I did so with a 30% discount, and because I saw that the dev is very active in fixing bugs, with good communication etc.

I would suggest this:

Develop a professional flight model first. Some devs sold modules with SFM with the promise of releasing the EFM later on. I think this backfired to a certain big extent. I prefer to have limited systems modelling but advanced FM since day 1.

With this released as beta, everyone can enjoy an FC3 level aircraft, with updates providing more and more system modelling.

Not sure I would support something outside of the DCS shop right now.

Sorry if I sound negative, but I'd hate to see such an ambitious project go down the drain like the F-35 or the WW2 kickstarter.

bkthunder, you're not negative at all, just realistic. BTW, IndieGoGo would be dependent on a successful presentation and subsequent license from DCS.

Brian

Black Cat Simulations

After the fiasco, lets not name and shame. ED have changed their stance when it comes to releasing aircraft All aircraft from now on must have an EFM and be full fidelity!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Director | Team Coordinator

PC Specs:

• Intel I7 8700k 4.7Ghz
  • Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Gaming Z370 Motherboard
  • 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz Ram
  • 500GB Samsung Evo 850 SSD

After the fiasco, lets not name and shame. ED have changed their stance when it comes to releasing aircraft All aircraft from now on must have an EFM and be full fidelity!

Wait really? I thought that was an internal directive.

Very interested in this, looking forwards to hearing more!

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.