Engine Restart

After a sortie after a rearm, refuel and at times a repair, I am unable to get the 109 restarted. Once I pull the kill level, turn the boast pumps off, magnetos to off, and hit the kill switch I call for rearm/refuel or repair. After a successful rearm/refuel or repair, the plan doesn't start with the normal procedure. Anyone experiencing the same thing? Is this a bug? I did a search and come up with nothing that applied?

VF-111 Sundowners

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Carrier Group 1 - Battlegroup Delta

Beware the lessons of a fighter pilot who would rather fly a slide rule than kick your ass!

-Commander Ron "Mugs" McKeown, USN

Commander, U.S. Navy Fighter Weapons School

2 Victories, Vietnam

Why are you hitting the "kill switch?" I think that's only for emergency stops. Stop hitting it and see if that clears your problem up.

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

I think he mean not the electric kill switch, more the fast engine stop lever.

Your trouble start there when you shut down the engine with magnetos it's restart normal, when you hit the fast engine stop lever it doesnt restart.

Dont know it this correct from my understanding from reading offical engine handbook it kills the fuel pump to stop self igniting under hot engine

circumstances.

But why the engine shouldn't be start again dont know:dunno:

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

I think I figured out what is going on. According to the manual, you have to turn the BATTERY off after you start the engine. I guess it doesn't have an alternator like a car. If you don't then it will drain and you won't be able to restart the plane later. Just make sure you have the GENERATOR on, or the plane will die when you turn the BATTERY off.

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

Interesting. I will have to try turning the batter off after start. I'm not sure how that's right, Doesn't the generator still need a battery to provide electrical power? By Kill Switch I did mean the electrical kill switch. The manual calls for it on shut-down. I've tried both approaches, hitting the kill switch and not hitting the kill switch. Still no start.

VF-111 Sundowners

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Beware the lessons of a fighter pilot who would rather fly a slide rule than kick your ass!

2 Victories, Vietnam

After a sortie after a rearm, refuel and at times a repair, I am unable to get the 109 restarted. Once I pull the kill level, turn the boast pumps off, magnetos to off, and hit the kill switch I call for rearm/refuel or repair. After a successful rearm/refuel or repair, the plan doesn't start with the normal procedure. Anyone experiencing the same thing? Is this a bug? I did a search and come up with nothing that applied?

I have that happen on occasion but most times it starts up fine. I've never turned the generator/battery off during flight and don't recall that in the manual. I do shut everything down during repair (including all breakers) and seem to have better results (i.e. not draining the battery). I don't shut down for rearm/refuel as that's not necessary.

Edited by DarkRaiderss

The turning off the battery step is interesting indeed. It wasn't there when the module was released, but it's there allright in the latest version of the manual. Don't know the reasoning behind it either.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

The turning off the battery step is interesting indeed. It wasn't there when the module was released, but it's there allright in the latest version of the manual. Don't know the reasoning behind it either.

That is interesting. I had read the older version. Even though I only get the non-start occasionally, I'm going to try turning off the battery in the future to see if I can avoid this issue entirely. Thanks for pointing that out.

wow! it is incredible

L'importante non è stabilire se uno ha paura o meno, è saper convivere con la propria paura e non farsi condizionare dalla stessa. Ecco, il coraggio è questo, altrimenti non è più coraggio ma incoscienza.

not work...

L'importante non è stabilire se uno ha paura o meno, è saper convivere con la propria paura e non farsi condizionare dalla stessa. Ecco, il coraggio è questo, altrimenti non è più coraggio ma incoscienza.

I have noticed the same problem. Tried yesterday on AGC MP server and could not start again after landing, shutting down the engine (engine stop handle, Magnettos to 0, fuel pumps to Zu and pressing Electrical Kill Switch) and re-arm and re-fuel.

When trying to again start, to prop was barely rotating.

Then, I asked the ground crew to connect ground electrical power and tried again; It did start up nicely.

Did not touch any circuit breakers. Do not know if this is reproducible. Tried only once. Will try again when I get time in a day or two.

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7 | i7-8700K | 32GB DDR4 3600 | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE | EKWB custom loop water cooling | Samsung M.2 EVO 960 500GB SSD + 2 x Crucial 250MX SSD + 4TB HD | Asus PG348Q 3440x1440 | TrackIR5 | Oculus Rift CV1 | MSFFB2 w extension + Saitek X52 Throttle + MFG Crosswind | Windows 10-64

The need for ground power supports the idea that the inability to start is the battery dying. I flew the other night, but unfortunately it was a rough night as I either hit the ground paying too much attention to the bandit or was shot down and didn't have a chance to test the theory.

VF-111 Sundowners

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

2 Victories, Vietnam