engine stops - coolant TEMP rapidly goes to overheat during taxiing

wernst

Challenge 2: "Airferry"

Start-up procedure as done more than hundred times before - and exactly as done in challenge 1

Carb air to RAM AIR

Coolant and oil switches to AUTOMATIC

(also tried switching several times from CLOSE to OPEN)

During taxiing coolant TEMP rapidly reaches red line (over 150) before getting to the RWY.

Coolant Temp overheat appears even before the engine Temp reaches 60 deg.

Sometimes the engine dies at the RWY holding point, sometimes right after takeoff.

Taxiing always with less throttle keeping engine at low RPM.

I already passed challenge 1 of this campaign where I did the start-up procedures as usual - no overheat issues.

Hwo can I proceed with the campaign when I'm stuck on the ground ?

Didn't have any issues with this myself on that mission. Are you turning left or right once you move off the parking ramp? Maybe you're turning into a direction that's giving the engine no airflow. If you're turning left you're going the right direction and I didn't notice any issue - my temps would barely be at 40 by the time I got to the runway.

Didn't have any issues with this myself on that mission. Are you turning left or right once you move off the parking ramp? Maybe you're turning into a direction that's giving the engine no airflow. If you're turning left you're going the right direction and I didn't notice any issue - my temps would barely be at 40 by the time I got to the runway.

going left to RWY 27 in order to have enough space for take-off.

I have never heard that one has to taxi into the wind in order to keep the coolant TEMP low. What if no wind is blowing?

As said before: I passed challenge 1 where I did the start-up as I did exactly many times before.

• 1 month later...

Yes, in this campaign the Mustang is almost as prone to overheat as the Spitfire :D

At least I suppose for this one the flaps are not so important. Still, I kept the habit of a short approach instead of a long and slow one, because of the poor visibility above the nose and to reduce the overheating. But I'm also trying to fly the last miles at reduced power and RPM to be in the comfortable zone at the beginning of the approach. The ideal is a descent that allows keeping some speed, but in the case of this mission it is not allowed.

I'm switching flaps up as soon as I landed and the speed is below 80 knt or so (again, while keeping them down during taxi is a cardinal sin on the Spit, it probably won't make a noticeable difference for the P-51).

But mainly, I'm opening the shutter controls right before taxiing, and I'm not taxiing too slow, trying to take the turns large enough to minimize the use of brakes. Maybe a "run" mixture during the flight helps a bit, too.

I didn't encounter any problem with that strategy. The engine did blow up the first time on the first mission, when performing a touch-and-go, since then I paid a little more attention, I'm not sure why it is more sensible in the campaign or whether it's more realistic. It is still much easier on the Mustang than on her British cousin ;)

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

• 6 months later...
  • ED Team
Engine failed 3 times in 1 mission....

"you failed"

I will post on youtube

Coolant temps are out of control for me as well.

Opened the rad all the way... still no dif.

Mission number 1? Am I correct about that?

There should be no issues with number 1 since it has no any time/speed conditions for completion of all tasks.

Please avoid running engine at maximum RPM (3000) for a long time.

Best Regards, Dmitry.

"Чтобы дойти до цели, надо прежде всего идти." © О. Бальзак

Original Pilot Training Manual of the P-51D: " After reaching an altitude of 500 feet, throttle back to 46" of manifold at 2700 rpm".

In the right panel of the cockpit you can see a label with the table of manifold pressure RPM and time limits for flight.

Edited by OGALCOR