[RESOLVED] Mission fail at mission #02 (Airferry)

To close the questions about this mission:

This is one of the easiest mission.

This video shows that passing this mission is possible. Fine.

But is this really “one of the easiest mission”?!

To me it’s a hard nut to teeth.

Flying in dusk light, near to earth in a narrow and curvy valley, power lines on the side or across the valley, 35 minutes adrenaline pure.

Don’t get me wrong, this kind of challenge is true fun. But is this an easy one?

It challenges most of your flying skills, coordination, reaction, precision, system handling, all under time pressure.

What can be more difficult?

e.g. flying in a foggy night upside down under a low bridge with max speed in artillery fire.

Mastering challenges is the nature of fun. If the mission is too easy it spoils the fun,

if it is too difficult it’s frustration only.

I expected the worst after all those threats about the mission, but luckily I managed to complete it after a few tries.

After I finally managed to get to the airport, I damaged the Mustang during the landing, so it was mission failed :(

Played a few missions after this one, and none of them was as hard as the second.

Would be nice to get some kind of warning that you are to high or off course, instead of instant mission failure...

I couldn't get past the high altitude one, 4th ???

High up above clouds I go through a few squares but I can't find the next one on 3 tries

Tried again and it now starts on 3rd which now I can't get past (bit did first time before )

Am I doing something wrong or is it simply DCS is full of bugs and campaigns are not worth doing?

I was enjoying them

+no matter what audio settings I use I can't hear the man talking with engine running in flight, using a rift cf1, I have to stretch the turn of my eyes to see the text (it moves with head)

Its the campaign button (at the side with the other options) then fly, first few where taking off then landing now its flying through squares

Its more like training I think bit it says campaign

Is there something wrong?

Ps not DLC, its the in-built campaign

No nothing wrong, just the wrong thread, because this one is about the DLC campaign.

It is possible that the Mustang campaign has a few bugs in the current DCS Version since it is pretty old.

Don't know if they fixed it.

Now I know what went wrong with my missing ATC take-off clearance.

I stopped about 20 m before the entrance of the runway, at the so called "runway holding point 27".

(Which has not been simulated here) I was used to it as I have to do it in real flying, it's a must.

Recently I have seen a video of #2 "Airferry" where the pilot did not stop before the runway.

He continued taxiing, turned and entered the runway and stopped there.

Immediately he got ATC take off clearance. This is not real world flying.

In real flying world you are never allowed to enter the runway without ATC permission. Strict rule.

You must hold at the runway holding which is a mark of two yellow lines and two dotted lines.

Depending on the ATC clearance you get you may either advance on the runway and stop there

or you may get a take off clearance directly from the holding point.

If you look ATC gives you permission to startup and taxi to runway. Whether right or wrong, "To Runway" not to hold on taxiway was the key.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

If you look ATC gives you permission to startup and taxi to runway. Whether right or wrong, "To Runway" not to hold on taxiway was the key.

In real flying at an ATC controlled airport you’ll NEVER get a taxi clearance INCLUDING entering the RWY. That is simply unrealistic because it’s max dangerous.

A clearance “taxi to RWY XX” always means: taxi to RWY holding point only and hold there waiting for the next clearance.

What if your taxiing is slow or you missed the right taxiway and you are arriving the RWY only 10 minutes later, entering the RWY while meanwhile another aircraft is approaching?

Yep just wrong but this is not RL. Just like the difficulty of instant failure. Just over the top. Really takes the fun out of it having to refly over and over trying to figure out what you missed.

:wallbash:

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

• 4 months later...

For some reason radio menu won't open at Vladikavzak when I asked to report. When I fly back to base the radio menu is enabled again.

Edit: Looks radio menu gets disabled right after I take off and I get it back when I land. Anyone else has the same problem?

Edited by Kaitsu

• 4 weeks later...
For some reason radio menu won't open at Vladikavzak when I asked to report. When I fly back to base the radio menu is enabled again.

Edit: Looks radio menu gets disabled right after I take off and I get it back when I land. Anyone else has the same problem?

Same here. Did someone find a solution/hotfix ?

i9 9900k, 64 Go RAM, RTX 4090, Warthog HOTAS Throttle & Stick, Saitek Combat Rudder, MFD Cougar, Trackir 5 Pro, Multipurpose UFC and Oculus Rift S (when I want some VR),

http://www.twitch.tv/zarma4074 /  https://www.youtube.com/user/Zarma4074 

Copy-of-DCS-A-10C-User-Bar-CMR-ConvertImage.jpg

• ED Team
The problem is that general radio menu does not open. The only way to get general radio menu back is to land at the home base.

Does it appear in other missions/modules? Or just in that particular mission and campaign?

Best Regards, Dmitry.

"Чтобы дойти до цели, надо прежде всего идти." © О. Бальзак

• ED Team

Seems to be working in internal version. I'll ask to check anybody from ED team.

OK, we checked in public beta.

Radio is functioning.

Maybe it would help:

1. Selecting simple radio in game setup.

2. Using not " \ " but " RAlt + \ " for communication via currently selected radio.

Edited by Laivynas

Best Regards, Dmitry.

• 1 year later...

I get asked to report in at wp3 BUT cant access the radio menu! is this why I keep getting route variation errors? i believe i am hitting all waypoints, please help

Woody

Update - I turned on easy radio and it now works fine

Edited by Woody1968

WoodDuck

Queensland Aust

Discord WoodDuck#6551

Intel i7-8700 32mb Ram, Gtx 1080, TM Warthog HOTAS, Rift Cv1

• ED Team

Dear Woody

Please keep flying as it is noted in kneeboard maps. After TO overfly outer marker beakon (should be confirmed by ATC), turn left, follow the river to Vladikavkaz. Over Vladikavkaz there will be short dialog with ATC. Than descend to a minimum level of flight and continue along the river.

Simulation starts at 3:55.

Edited by Laivynas

Best Regards, Dmitry.

• 1 month later...
I can get past waypoint 3 now, but I fail later on with a call from a Russian or Georgian fighter jet indicating that I violated their airspace. it must be for flying too high. I'm right on the deck but the terrain in some areas requires you to go up a bit. After about the 10th fail I gave up on this mission.

The next mission is a mess, so I'm done with this campaign and have asked for a refund.

You have to fly low for the entire flight pretty much, if you get that call it means you are flying too high, that is the main challenge! in the level! Stick with it and you will be way more satisfied with yourself then asking for a refund because its tough! Follow the river and stay low, power lines won't kill you but trees will!

• Like 1

4.8 I7, 1080, TMW&T, SSD, VKB MK.IV.

• 6 months later...
Seems to be working in internal version. I'll ask to check anybody from ED team.

Radio is functioning.

Maybe it would help:

2. Using not " \ " but " RAlt + \ " for communication via currently selected radio.

Simple radio seems to work, thanks.

• 4 months later...

Guys,

for anyone who couldn't access radio menu: the function to map to any physical radio button of yours in P-51D is NOT the "comms menu" (default "/") as always, but rather the Push to Talk (default RAlt+/). I didn't find it emphasised anywhere, I also found out the hard way.

• 1 month later...

Radio is functioning.

Maybe it would help:

Ok it work for me with RALT \

Pretty tough mission in 2.5 comparing to the videos in 1.5 :O

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 years later...

Sorry to reopen this stale thread...

I'm pretty new to DCS so I may be doing something wrong.

Trying to fly this 2nd mission of the campaign and as soon as I take off, I get told that I am unable to clear for takeoff and the mission fails.

I've done all the ATC requests on both 141 and 139 with easy communication on and off and also watched some YouTubes of this mission.

I get the ATC clearance to start, taxi and then takeoff OK (pretty sure it's the correct ATC especially when on 141) and the requests and responses are all in Russian(?) but the text certainly gives me permission to takeoff, but pretty much as soon as I'm off the ground, an American voice comes on the radio and fails the mission and drops out to the end of mission screen.

Any hints?

Edited by q500dude

• ED Team
5 часов назад, q500dude сказал:

Sorry to reopen this stale thread...

I'm pretty new to DCS so I may be doing something wrong.

Trying to fly this 2nd mission of the campaign and as soon as I take off, I get told that I am unable to clear for takeoff and the mission fails.

I've done all the ATC requests on both 141 and 139 with easy communication on and off and also watched some YouTubes of this mission.

I get the ATC clearance to start, taxi and then takeoff OK (pretty sure it's the correct ATC especially when on 141) and the requests and responses are all in Russian(?) but the text certainly gives me permission to takeoff, but pretty much as soon as I'm off the ground, an American voice comes on the radio and fails the mission and drops out to the end of mission screen.

Any hints?

Hi!

Will check in latest Open Beta and reply.

OK, looks like I got what is in the way.

Please forget about stock ATC at least for that mission. Everything is done to maximize player communications via triggers. Means no permissions need to be asked from ATC, but rather pay attention to radio menu F10 chapter (custom messages).

Attached screens for 2nd mission.

Screen_210509_213150.jpg

Screen_210509_213419.jpg

Screen_210509_213555.jpg

Screen_210509_214332.jpg

Screen_210509_220247.jpg

Screen_210509_220359.jpg

Screen_210509_220545.jpg

Best Regards, Dmitry.