Oculus Rift CV1

WoOdZ

I got my Oculus CV1 last Wednesday 13th April 2016.

I have spent about 6 hours flying various aircraft in DCS world 1.5 and the experience is amazing.

I have found that reducing the resolution of the simulator does not seem to reduce the image quality but does improve how smooth the experience is and improve the overall level of immersion. I have it at 1280 x 800 on a rig with a 980ti graphics card and I can see no real detail difference between the lower resolution and 1920 x 1080 apart from stutters at the higher resolution.

DCS world 2 however is really jerky and unable to achieve the sort of frame rates to allow for a usable experience.

Please let me know what settings others are using and keep the pressure on ED to at least keep the current 1.5 release build available as a stable version of the VR ready DCS World simulator.

It would be a real shame to not have this as it truly is the best flight sim experience I have ever had.

Please ED let us all know updates and the development road map for VR because I truly believe you are on to a winner here if you can improve the sharpness and smoothness for VR.

WoOdZ_UK

CPU 8700K Overclocked @5.1 Delid no HT, Hero X, Memory, 32gb Corsair Dual 3333mhz, ASUS Strix OC 1080TI, Corsair MP510x2 900GB, Warthog Hotas, MFG Crosswind, MFD's, Rift S.

DCSW2 has not been updated to runtime 1.3 yet, so now optimizations or ATW.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

DCSW2 has not been updated to runtime 1.3 yet, so now optimizations or ATW.

I think I need a clarification. Did you mean:

DCSW2 has been updated to runtime 1.3 yet, so now optimizations or ATW

or

DCSW2 has not been updated to runtime 1.3 yet, so no optimizations or ATW (at the moment)

thanks

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

DCSW2 is Currently at 2.0.1.xxxx

Oculus 1.3 Runtime and the Adjustments + Updated GUI is part of 2.0.2, Which was briefly released Friday, and eventually pulled form the updater due to a High CPU Usage issue.

All the Oculus 1.3 Runtime Items, ATW, etc will come with 2.0.2

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

DCSW2 is Currently at 2.0.1.xxxx

Oculus 1.3 Runtime and the Adjustments + Updated GUI is part of 2.0.2, Which was briefly released Friday, and eventually pulled form the updater due to a High CPU Usage issue.

All the Oculus 1.3 Runtime Items, ATW, etc will come with 2.0.2

Indeed, but the OP specificly mentioned DCSW 1.5, which is already updated to runtime 1.3 ;)

With the DK2 I tend to use original resolution and mixing high/medium settings, and in 1.5.3 the framerates are more than enjoyable, not manage to get 75 all the time though, but nevertheless the 1.3 runtime is way way better than 0.8.0.0 was before.

Also make sure you have the (in case you are on the green side) latest Nvidia drivers, which already have the VR support.

TrailBlazer

Indeed, but the OP specificly mentioned DCSW 1.5, which is already updated to runtime 1.3 ;)

With the DK2 I tend to use original resolution and mixing high/medium settings, and in 1.5.3 the framerates are more than enjoyable, not manage to get 75 all the time though, but nevertheless the 1.3 runtime is way way better than 0.8.0.0 was before.

Also make sure you have the (in case you are on the green side) latest Nvidia drivers, which already have the VR support.

My response regarding 2.0 was in response to this line:

DCS world 2 however is really jerky and unable to achieve the sort of frame rates to allow for a usable experience.

can you read guages/lettering in the pit with CV1?

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

Gauges, MFDs, HUD, No Problem for me,

The Smallest text labels you have to lean in to read, even then some remain blurred (might be my texture setting at the moment though, as I had to lower alot of stuff to low due to running off a backup GPU.).

But I know what all the A-10C Switches are so I dont need the labels anyway.

can you read guages/lettering in the pit with CV1?

The texture graphic setting affects the readiblity of cockpit detail. Mine is set to high. At this setting everything in readble in the cockpits I've checked. The larger gauges are legible from the standard position. Smaller or further things require leaning in. In the UH1 pilot seat, you can read the co-pilots instruments with leaning. Same goes for frequency listing, breaker labels, etc. HUDs are easily legible in jets. I've not found any instance where an artificial zoom is needed. In general I'd say cockpit visibility is sufficiently solved. The current CV1 display is a huge improvement over DK1, what I'm previously familiar with. The sense of height is definitely there for example while hovering at a few hundred feet. Diving motions such as initiating autorotations gives a palpable sense of falling, or at least more than I expected without a motion platform. And as others have noted, it makes spatial sense and movement estimation easier. Landings and autos feel better and precision is increased as a result. The issue of visibility has to do with distant objects which should be improved with higher resolution displays in future products. For now HMD pilots will be at a disadvantage when clear mid range visual contact is needed. But for BVR, instrument or heads down flight, or very close range, The current HMDs are comparable if not superior to 2D displays in many of these regimes.

• Like 1

Anyone experiencing motion sickness? Also, what are folks doing about taking notes, etc. For instance after contacting a JTAC, pilots take notes. There are times when a pilot may refer to other notes, charts, etc. How is that accomplished using OR CV1?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

Anyone experiencing motion sickness? Also, what are folks doing about taking notes, etc. For instance after contacting a JTAC, pilots take notes. There are times when a pilot may refer to other notes, charts, etc. How is that accomplished using OR CV1?

You have to grow your "VR Legs", son...gut it out and power through it! It took me about two weeks to get used to it. Lower your settings and use the most powerful hardware you can to keep the frames high.

Prolonged frame rates lower than the device refresh rate can cause VR Induced Discomfort. ATW will only get you so far.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

Yes I agree. High frame rates and smoothness reduces sickness but the more time you spend in VR the better it gets. Your brain adapts quickly. I can spend a couple of hours with no issue now. First time 20 minuets had me green around the gills.

WoOdZ_UK

CPU 8700K Overclocked @5.1 Delid no HT, Hero X, Memory, 32gb Corsair Dual 3333mhz, ASUS Strix OC 1080TI, Corsair MP510x2 900GB, Warthog Hotas, MFG Crosswind, MFD's, Rift S.

So....taking notes and viewing charts would be impractical???

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

hi... it's just a my problem, or when use the mouse width the dk2 and the final oculus runtime, it lost the dcs windows focus ?

is impossible to use the abbris and lowest cockpit devices..

Edited by emer1976

I need a little help. Probably user error, but I can't get my CV1 to work with DCS World (1.53 or 2) Oculus home is displayed the whole time in the headset. Any ideas of what I am doing wrong? I have the auto-detect Oculus Rift option checked.

You need to allow third party programs in the Oculus Home settings.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

After setting the 3rd Party programs option, I think Oculus Staff said to reboot windows to ensure the option is set in the OR-Runtime.

About VR Legs...

I Musta been born "VR Ready" Haven't had one Physical reaction to VR other than WOW.

This includes VR on my Phone and VR on PC.

I did have a Virtual Boy when I was a youngin', but I only played Mario Tennis and Warios Land.

3rd Party options was enabled. I rebooted and still no joy. When I start DCS World, Oculus Home launches but the Rift doesn't activate when I try to fly (I just see the Oculus Home store in the Rift). My monitor shows the DCS 3D environment though.

what version of DCS are you running?

Procedure should be:

Launch Oculus, Wait for Oculus Home to Load.

Launch DCS, Wait for the Health Warning to Come up, Hover over Acknowledge box to proceed to DCS Main Screen.

I'm using DCS World 1.5.3 51417

Using the procedure you listed above, when I launch DCS World, I get a gray screen in the Rift with a loading circle very briefly. I then get pushed back to the Oculus home environment (while on my monitor I see the main DCS menu screen. It's like it tries, but but something fails in the process.