Landing without Bouncing?

DblAAssassin

Ok so every time I land I bounce and it causes me to crash. I come in at 90 mph like the tutorial suggests and I still bounce and I flare.

Any tips or advice would be nice.

Try landing in a 3 point attitude, i.e. all wheels touch down at the same time. You can achieve this by moving the plane into exactly the same attitude as is used for taxiing on the ground.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core I7 4820K @4.3 GHz, Asus P9X79 motherboard, 16 GB RAM @ 933 MHz, NVidia GTX 1070 with 8 GB VRAM, Windows 10 Pro

Touch down is around 85-90 and should be in a 3 point touch down angle of attack. Get used to what it looks like when taxiing around, thats that angle you want for landing. If able to do that when touching down at 85-90 indicated, you should not bounce. Two wheel landings a bit trickier, but still a matter of procedure. Touchdown speed is around 110-115. JUST before touchdown, release the back pressure on the stick. If you trimmed it out on approach, will need to stick forward at moment of touch. If you do not release this back pressure, you will push the tail down, increasing angle of attack and bounce back into the air.

Check out this 2 wheel landing at the end of my VFAT performance, using the above technique:

Edit: Sniped.. heheh

AOA is soooo important. I am usually at around 100mph when I fly over the end of the runway. At that point I am pulling back and basically hovering in a 3 point position. From there, I just slow the AC down and it gently drops as it loses lift. You gotta let the plane set itself down. As soon as I hit the runway (cannot speak for others) I got the stick in my gut to keep it straight.

I guess it's all about practice.

The height at which you flare is critical too. Flare too high, and you'll have a high rate of descent and bounce.

It really is down to trial and error, and lots of practice, but keeping the speed and the sink rate under control, and judging your height during the flare so you sit it down gently in a 3 point attitude is the key.

Once you perfect that, a 2 wheel landing is the next step in skilful landings.

Practice practice practice.

I've probably spent about an hour in total on the Final Approach instant action trying to land. Unsuccessful thus far, but I'm determined to do it.

Thanks for all the advice, I think my main issue is an aggressive flare.

Hardware: Saitek X56, TrackIR, HP Reverb G2

Most have been there.

I've probably spent about an hour in total on the Final Approach instant action trying to land. Unsuccessful thus far, but I'm determined to do it.

Thanks for all the advice, I think my main issue is an aggressive flare.

I almost gave up trying to land the Mustang:(, until I listened to those same instructions that have been supplied to you. My problem was when I touched down, I thought I had to give "back stick" to keep the real wheel down on the ground. Wrong! All that does is give more lift and cause me to leave the runway and then bounce back down once that lift was lost.:joystick: The real secret for me was forcing myself to go against my natural instinct and apply a little forward stick. I still bounce on occasion but that is because I become too complacent and always think "I got it".:thumbup: You have to fly the plane Sir, until it is stopped at it's parking spot:D As to the two-wheeled landing. I tried and tried and finally just fell back on the "let'er settle in" 3-point approach. I was ruining too many props trying the 2-point.:music_whistling:

Intel i5-4690K Devil's Canyon, GForce TitanX, ASUS Z-97A MB, 16GB GDDR3 GSkill mem, Samsung SSD X3,Track IR, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind pedals, Acer XB280HK monitor,GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT

So I did my first "successful" landing. I've attached the track below. Any advice and things I need to change would be great.

-I know I need to be flaring a little more.

-I now know I need to have a trims neutral, I'm assuming you mean elevator trim. Or all trims?

Any thing else? Once again thanks for all the help everybody.

P-51D-FirstLanding.trk

Decent enough video, though both 2 and 3 wheel landings bounced. The 3 wheel was rushed and the 150 mph 2 wheel landing is IMHO too fast and the reason why the author finds it difficult to do each time. For the 2 wheel, like I said, I find 115 to be best, MAYBE get away with 125 mph touch down and release that back pressure just before touchdown. Get the timing down and you will be wondering what all the fuss was about.

Main thing stressed by all though.. Practice, practice practice.

/salute

So I did my first "successful" landing. I've attached the track below. Any advice and things I need to change would be great.

-I know I need to be flaring a little more.

-I now know I need to have a trims neutral, I'm assuming you mean elevator trim. Or all trims?

Any thing else? Once again thanks for all the help everybody.

Took a look and the approach is decent enough. Looked like the problem is pulling to aggressive for the flare, don't rush it and just EASE it back into the flare and let it settle. The aggressive pull bled off speed on you and you dropped down to quickly.

Good luck!

So I have actually had a few successful 3 point touchdowns since watching that video, it was very helpful for me. My new problem seems to be steering and keeping straight on the runway. I either end up ground looping or snapping a wing or something.

Here is a touchdown, I was pretty happy about, but I lose a wing on the roll.

P-51D-FirstLanding(3wheel).trk

What do you use for rudder control and brakes? Feathering in differential brakes to help with the rudder can help with the initial correction, but have to get off the control inputs or it can/will overcorrect. Be faster to react with the initial correction, in fact, try to anticipate it with small inputs will help from needing large inputs later that can cause it to oversteer.

• Like 1

For me the hardest part is knowing how close to the ground you are. I've trained at this many, many times and I still don't have it down pat. Many times I'm sailing over the runway for hundreds of yards trying not to increase my rate of descent and by the time the wheels touch the ground I've used up nearly all of the runway. I've found the ground at the correct rate of descent *yea!!*, but I have to go around anyway a try again *boo*.

At this point I have the feeling I won't get this correct without a VR rig :(

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

So I have actually had a few successful 3 point touchdowns since watching that video, it was very helpful for me. My new problem seems to be steering and keeping straight on the runway. I either end up ground looping or snapping a wing or something.

Here is a touchdown, I was pretty happy about, but I lose a wing on the roll.

Once I touch down and roll I take the stick back...very little or no rudder needed at this point.

Sounds like you might be fighting it a bit.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

For me the hardest part is knowing how close to the ground you are. I've trained at this many, many times and I still don't have it down pat. Many times I'm sailing over the runway for hundreds of yards trying not to increase my rate of descent and by the time the wheels touch the ground I've used up nearly all of the runway. I've found the ground at the correct rate of descent *yea!!*, but I have to go around anyway a try again *boo*.

At this point I have the feeling I won't get this correct without a VR rig :(

When you flare and reduce throttle you'll need to increase back pressure as the speed bleeds off and the aircraft will stall onto the runway.

If it isn't stalling onto the runway my first guess is you're too fast.

• 3 years later...

I’m a newbie struggling with the landing. But one tip which is helping is map the active pause to the trigger, so at the point of touch down you can freeze, switch to an external view and see exactly what your plane is doing.

the main mistake is that new pilots dont have good feeling how high plane is above ground and like 90% cases ends up with droping plane like a rock from 20 ft -30 ft literly nose down.

I would send this tip when p-51 is configured for landing = gear down + flaps down and you flying at speed around 150mph its good speed for approach becouse you can see a lot becouse p-51 is pointing nose down. this speed is absolutely disaster for touch down. when speed drops below 120mph p-51 starts to change it's position now you have to point nose up to maintain levle flight this is not so good for approach becouse you cant see shit pass this point your plane is ready for touch down. key is to hold your plane very close to ground and while plane is slowing down gradualy pull stick to maintain level flight you can wait for buffet plane starts shaking than you can easly put it down by letting stick to neutral.

remember never make any sudden throttle adjustment change throttle with gentle touch

But remember no sudden moves throttle, stick or rudder all must be gentle.

is you landing with crosswind it is good to adapt to crosswind at approach phase doing so in last seconds before touch down will be hard. And of turn off rudder and t/o assits in options

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor