Oculus Rift with DCS World Discussion

NineLine

On 8/10/2020 at 11:23 PM, Krupi said:

Hi Chaps, I need some advice regarding FPS in the Oculus CV1.

I have recently started flying again since upgrading from a blown GTX 780 to a RTX 2060 Super, the rest of my specs are in my signature.

I have been playing around with the settings however I keep on experiencing a drop in FPS, it goes from 40-45 to 23 and then back up again.

This happens in both Normandy & the Channel Map flying in a straight line on the instant free flight mission.

In the dogfight missions such as the FW190 Anton Furball the FPS starts of very low around 8 and goes up to about ~23 after the Antons are killed, however after two/three restarts of the mission (Fly Again) the FPS seems to settle (but still jumps around) at 23-33fps at the start of the mission and 23-40fps after the battle.

I have attached my in game settings & PD is set at 1.4.

Any advice?

I feel like I have forgotten to do something... Is it the maps? I can't understand why the FPS would be jumping around so in level flight...

I have created a thread on this in the VR Issues Sub Forum...

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=4449456#post4449456

1946492435_DCSSETTINGS.PNG.695f1c190b39aa545f6eb0c37adb0d42.PNG

You need to set terrain object shadows to flat! But you can in turn use better textures, higher vis. range, lens effect, cockpit global illumination, all of this looks much nicer and is relatively inexpensive for the GPU. Also 1.4 super-sampling is quite high, maybe decrease that a bit if you still have problems.

Edited by bernardv

I managed to have it work yesterday thanks.

I have added DCS into oculus software library for ease of use launching it.

btw is there a way to manually launch Oculus link? I mean, when I connect my headset to the computer it asks me if I want to allow access of files. On internet I read I should tell "no" to that but seems if I do that it does not even ask to launch Oculus link. Then it asks if I want to launch Oculus link. But it happened to me a few times I answered "no" by mistake there. And then, any way to launch again oculus link beside unplugging and plugging the headset again?

Thanks

Favorite modules : Huey, F-86F, F14 and P-51D

Quest 2, RTX 3080, i7 10700K, 16 Gb of RAM, Pro Flight Trainer PUMA helicopter setup, Warthog HOTAS with two force sensitive stick, custom cockpit and a GS-Cobra dynamic seat.

Anyone here with an RTX3090 and a Rift S care to post their settings that make them happy with their experience in the game? I would greatly appreciate it. 

My Specs: 

i5-9600k overclocked to 4.8Ghz

32GB Ram (3200) 

M2 SSD 1TB Samsung

KFA2 RTX3090

Rift S

Need a good starting spot for for configuring both Ingame settings and Oculus Tray Tool\Nvidia settings. Hopefully there is a kind soul out there with a similar setup to mine. 

Edited by Lurker

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

On 6/6/2020 at 1:27 AM, streakeagle said:

I have been experimenting with the Ultraleap Leap Motion VR hand tracking and it won't work with Oculus, so I have to force SteamVR to see my hands in-game. So now I have not one, but two VR apps running plus the leap motion driver and if I use DCSLeap, then I have four things running just while playing DCS World. I would love it if VR was more like a mouse, monitor, or HOTAS where you don't need any interposing apps to use them. But the VR people need to market their games and Oculus is kind of the Apple of VR: they want you in their environment using their software not just selling you the hardware.

streakeagle, can you tell me how to force SteamVR for Oculus? I've been searching for that quite a while...

Thanks a lot!

Never mind, found it... should have looked better! 😉

NobiWan

Edited by NobiWan

1 hour ago, NobiWan said:

streakeagle, can you tell me how to force SteamVR for Oculus? I've been searching for that quite a while...

Thanks a lot!

Never mind, found it... should have looked better! 😉

NobiWan

It would be nice if DCS was like another combat flight sim I fly. Every time you start it, it asks which way you want to run it based on what it sees available... Oculus, OpenVR, etc. If you say no to those options, it just runs in desktop mode. Also, that same sim automatically switches to desktop mode when you take your VR headset off, then switches back to VR when you put it back on. Whereas, I have to use a 3rd party tool with DCS to decide to start in VR or desktop mode which also conveniently saves different options files so you don't have to change graphics settings when you switch modes. But that tool doesn't allow you to toggle between Oculus and SteamVR, so I had to create an extra shortcut to force SteamVR for LeapMotion. Now that I have a Reverb G2, SteamVR is my normal mode, so I have to disable Oculus services to keep DCS from starting Oculus in VR mode. Meanwhile, the other combat flight sim didn't have to adapt at all, as it continues asking what I want every time I start up, which solves the problem in only 1 or 2 button clicks.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

14 minutes ago, streakeagle said:

It would be nice if DCS was like another combat flight sim I fly. Every time you start it, it asks which way you want to run it based on what it sees available... Oculus, OpenVR, etc. If you say no to those options, it just runs in desktop mode. Also, that same sim automatically switches to desktop mode when you take your VR headset off, then switches back to VR when you put it back on. Whereas, I have to use a 3rd party tool with DCS to decide to start in VR or desktop mode which also conveniently saves different options files so you don't have to change graphics settings when you switch modes. But that tool doesn't allow you to toggle between Oculus and SteamVR, so I had to create an extra shortcut to force SteamVR for LeapMotion.

You don't need 3rd party software for that.

You can just make a shortcut on desktop, task bar or start menu with own icons for launching as VR or desktop, and the system will even know which one you have started so which one to use as VR.

What comes to graphics settings, that AFAIK was not possible with shortcut long time ago as it was added this year to have way to get different resolution etc that some of these 3rd party software uses, so there is way to tell the DCS with shortcut that what are parameters. We as well got before that the few presets for settings so you can easily switch between them. But the annoying part is that you need to restart DCS to take it in effect. Old engine you know...

The same thing is with the HMD off and back on, as it could be fun to be able in main menu to take off HMD and see on desktop the 2D interface, but it is just these limitations of VR that is a another display and GPU in game point of view.

One thing that I so hate in other games is that I can not use them from start to finish in VR. I don't want to first use desktop to do something and then go seat flight chair only to find out that I forgot something and need to get back to the computer. No, I want everything to be usable just with the touch controllers from the start.

That is where DCS really shines as I can just start the PC from power button, sit in the flight chair, put HMD on and I can start DCS from VR, use it through its menus and even generate/edit some missions and be flying, all without ever touching a keyboard or mouse. My flight chair literally has just HOTAS and pedals, touch controllers and Rift S. One neat custom built chair that can be transported anywhere. No displays, no mouse, no keyboard.... Just the essential.

And that is where some of the problems exist as some things in DCS requires to use keyboard annoyingly, like the training missions require you to press spacebar or press specific keyboard button combination to continue. Extremely annoing. Those should be literally "Press any key on your joystick to continue" or "Click here to continue" elements.

Why voice attack (or similar) is required to be used to emulate the keyboard pressing by voice...

And last thing I would like is that DCS tries to launch itself at "proper mode" depending do I have a HMD on or off. If I want desktop version, I don't want to see VR. If I don't have HMD on but I want to launch DCS from the desktop side and put HMD later on, I can do that.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Imagine you are new to DCS and new to VR and have never even seen these forums. The existing system of using an in-game checkbox to toggle modes and requiring a restart as well as

having to manually switch settings after the restart is slow and clunky. You wouldn't be able to do any better without searching these forums for hints on how to force SteamVR, switch modes, and automatically save/use settings for each mode.

I have seen it done in a very intuitive way: one shortcut to start the sim and a clicking a button on a dialog box or two to get into the mode you want... then automatically and instantly toggling between VR/desktop mode without any kind of restart by simply taking off the VR headset or putting it back on. Surely ED could come up with a better interface than they have now. Also consider if you have both regular release and open beta versions installed. You could conceivably have 6 different shortcuts just to start DCS World if you needed desktop, Oculus, and SteamVR in both release and open beta.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks a lot!

Never mind, found it... should have looked better!

NobiWan

Can you tell us also?
I am trying but I cannot force dcs tonstart with steamvr

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

15 hours ago, streakeagle said:

Imagine you are new to DCS and new to VR and have never even seen these forums. The existing system of using an in-game checkbox to toggle modes and requiring a restart as well as

having to manually switch settings after the restart is slow and clunky. You wouldn't be able to do any better without searching these forums for hints on how to force SteamVR, switch modes, and automatically save/use settings for each mode.

I have seen it done in a very intuitive way: one shortcut to start the sim and a clicking a button on a dialog box or two to get into the mode you want... then automatically and instantly toggling between VR/desktop mode without any kind of restart by simply taking off the VR headset or putting it back on. Surely ED could come up with a better interface than they have now. Also consider if you have both regular release and open beta versions installed. You could conceivably have 6 different shortcuts just to start DCS World if you needed desktop, Oculus, and SteamVR in both release and open beta.

After reading last night struggles of a squadronmate setting up his G2 for first time, I won´t ever again badmouth Oculus software.
Also, I start Oculus Home. Then Steam, click on DCS, and choosing Oculus VR mode. Done. Yeah definitely ED standalone could improve 😉

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

I am currently using the G2. The advantage of Oculus is that only one program runs: Oculus, whereas WMR has to run in conjunction with SteamVR. But unlike Oculus, when I put the headset on and WMR starts up, it goes right where I left it: to a virtual desktop and the ability to use the mouse instead of controllers. I can just click on my Open Beta VR shortcut and that automatically triggers SteamVR to start. To keep the Oculus software installed, I have to disable the Oculus services, otherwise Oculus starts when I start DCS even though I don't have an Oculus headset active or even plugged into the PC.

The double layer software of WMR/Steam is annoying, but once it has been set up, it runs as well or better than Oculus.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

23 hours ago, streakeagle said:

That is true. As I have processed multiple times that kind scenarios there is always the learning curve.

Alone installing a DCS is a horrific experience for anyone who doesn't have better than basic knowledge to use a computer, but has just learn about DCS and is interested about it.

The old methods were easy really, you walked to store and picked up a game from shelve that you wanted, paid it and went home. At home you took the #1 floppy/CD/DVD on the drive and if you were lucky, you had autorun to start it from there to guide you to install software (with floppies not so but CD brought that capability).

Now these days lots of things are made by the people who take lots of first steps granted. Like how to find something, download it, find it, launch its installation etc. Huge amount of all kind things that are not even simple for many young people.

But if someone has purchased VR, installed it and run the first steps... They are already far ahead of the process. If someone finds the DCS site to download the installer and get it installed, they are again very far to get it started.

I have seen it done in a very intuitive way: one shortcut to start the sim and a clicking a button on a dialog box or two to get into the mode you want... then automatically and instantly toggling between VR/desktop mode without any kind of restart by simply taking off the VR headset or putting it back on.

The prompt at the start when launching is always nice idea, but it becomes very annoying in time when it is not wanted. Why I prefer the two shortcut method that should be default that one is with --force_enable_VR and other --force_disable_VR and preferrelly with a different icons too.

What comes to HMD on/off, that is just question for problems as one can't even know is there a TrackIR to revert to or not. You require the vision to be centered on the moment the proximity sensor is switched in HMD and then run a new graphics and all. A simple menu can fairly easily be done so when much isn't loaded. But more complex graphical elements it really becomes more resource demanding.

Surely ED could come up with a better interface than they have now. Also consider if you have both regular release and open beta versions installed. You could conceivably have 6 different shortcuts just to start DCS World if you needed desktop, Oculus, and SteamVR in both release and open beta.

Yes, one can install as many wanted versions they want and they would need to maintain them all. Not everything can be done for everyone. To one run a multiple different VR systems etc means they need to find the special methods to deal their problems as extra phases instead forcing it to everyone else to suffer.

The best method simply is, if you are going to play something in VR, then do everything in VR from start to end. Don't offer or require any extra displays to be used or taking off/on the HMD. If someone is going to start something in desktop, they want it on desktop as otherwise they would have it in VR already.

Almost anyone I know are super annoyed about some other simulators methods where menus are in desktop and then you need to put HMD on when you go to fly. You are constantly swapping HMD on and off. In that regards DCS does very fine. ED could improve the interface better by not making it so zoomed in (on your face), and redesign it more optimal style. But as ED wants to keep the visual effects and the wallpaper part etc there, it is not much that can do to change it if kept similar as now:

As even today the huge lost opportunity is to not have easy way to handle the game with the exact special gaming devices most are using! A joystick with one or two hats!

Some of us put hundreds of dollars to have expensice very feature rich joysticks and throttles. And they can not be used to operate game interface but than just aircrafts in flight!

Even the most common other games these days have exactly the joypad support if the game is playable with one. So one doesn't need mouse and keyboard to go through menus but can use the joypad they are going to use for playing!

You need to support even such simple thing as able to operate game menus without keyboard and mouse, using just the joystick (and throttle).

This is one thing why Oculus Touch Controllers are great as ED implemented them to game as not just virtual hands but as well as mouse pointer. So one can actually just leave mouse and keyboard from the playing process as it is just clicking the space with them, same way as operating aircrafts cockpits.

Now think about launching a DCS, placing hand on your joystick and then easily with it just move around even the current game menu and getting to fly just by using joystick/throttle....

It is one annoying step away from keyboard and mouse and toward the more coherent gaming experience.

If ED would even redesign the menu, they could drop few phases and minimize required steps to get from main menu in the cockpit and flying, by default it should almost be just pressing one button few times after mission select to confirm loadout, location and be flying.

Just been reading this piece from over a year ago. Have the 50% FPS improvements in VR been fully incorporated yet into DCS?

Now: Water-cooled Ryzen 5800X + 32GB DDR 4 3200 RAM + EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra 24 GB + Reverb G2 + Add-on PCI-e 3.1 card + 2x1TB Corsair M.2 4900/4200 + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM TPR Pendular Rudder  'Engaged Defensive' YouTube Channel

Modules: F/A-18C / AV-8B / F-16 / F-15E / F-4E (when it lands) / Persian Gulf / Syria / Nevada / Sinai / South Atlantic

Backup: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 8GB + 1TB M.2 1k drive & 250GB SSD drive 500MBps 4K 40" monitor + TrackIR 5

12 hours ago, C3PO said:

Just been reading this piece from over a year ago. Have the 50% FPS improvements in VR been fully incorporated yet into DCS?

Yes long time ago. It was patched in secret and didn't bring for most any difference.

On 8/10/2020 at 1:22 PM, steveropa said:

I was successful with a similar setup, although from what im seeing on these fora is that I am not as demanding as many. I was getting about 20-30 fps with somewhere between the "high" preset and the "vr" preset. I did end up upgrading to RTX2060, but only to go from good to better. by 2.something to 1.5, are you referring to pixel density? Also, it depends on which map. channel map is brutal, I was getting between 1 and 5 fps on my usual settings.

@steveropa thanks for your inputs. I am just starting out so only have the caucuses map + F-15 and Su25, haven't bought any other modules yet. @Topo mentioned that graphics card could be a bottleneck. I did some reading on 1060 and it seems like that could be the issue. I don't want to spend too much on hardware at the moment; would like to get better and flying first before I spend too much money on new graphics card (Might as well go for 2060/2080 since I also want to try out the MSFS 2020 when the time comes). 

If there's any resource on how to make 1060 work with DCS I'd appreciate it. If 1060 absolutely won't work I can start budgeting for a new card.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Correct I was referring to pixel density

Edited by avj
Added more information

• 5 weeks later...

Somebody got experience with an amd gpu and the rift s? I bought a 6900XT and my fps is really smooth and amazing, but I was just experimenting with asw and it's really bad.....

My 1080ti is basically smoother with asw enabled....And this is with every game I tried. Is this a driver issue? Or are the amd gpu's in general less smooth with asw?

56 minutes ago, Wakkaman said:

Somebody got experience with an amd gpu and the rift s? I bought a 6900XT and my fps is really smooth and amazing, but I was just experimenting with asw and it's really bad.....

My 1080ti is basically smoother with asw enabled....And this is with every game I tried. Is this a driver issue? Or are the amd gpu's in general less smooth with asw?

Running ASW, I thought was determined by your VR device.

Curious, if your running DCS with FPS really smooth and amazing with your 6900XT why would you want to use ASW?

Edited by fitness88

9 minutes ago, fitness88 said:

Curious, if your running DCS with FPS really smooth and amazing with your 6900XT why would you want to use ASW?

Good question, I want to know how future proof the amd cards are. For example with my 1080ti I could still get a very decent experience in DCS, x plane 11 or MSFS with asw, or locked 30hz. Sure there where some artifacts but it worked oke. Now I have a way beefier gpu you would expect it would run smoother with ASW on or locked 30hz because it can easily keep 45 fps for example...But it's unplayable with asw on. Without asw it's smooth tho....maybe my cpu 3950x issues? 

Edited by Wakkaman

50 minutes ago, Wakkaman said:

Good question, I want to know how future proof the amd cards are. For example with my 1080ti I could still get a very decent experience in DCS, x plane 11 or MSFS with asw, or locked 30hz. Sure there where some artifacts but it worked oke. Now I have a way beefier gpu you would expect it would run smoother with ASW on or locked 30hz because it can easily keep 45 fps for example...But it's unplayable with asw on. Without asw it's smooth tho....maybe my cpu 3950x issues? 

As an example using Rift, if you're not able to maintain 90fps, ASW when enabled will reduce your fps to 45 while still giving you a smooth experience by interpolation.

Are you already getting the max fps from your VR HMD with your 6900XT?

Also there are several ASW options...RCTR + 1, 2, 3, or [4 which is auto]

Edited by fitness88
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fitness88 said:

As an example using Rift, if you're not able to maintain 90fps, ASW when enabled will reduce your fps to 45 while still giving you a smooth experience by interpolation.

Thank you, but for example if I use oculus tray tool and lock it on 30hz with my 1080ti it's pretty smooth in MSFS. If I use my 6900xt and lock 30hz it's not smooth at all, weird because my fps is around 45/50 in MSFS. I will try again in dcs tomorrow and see how smooth 30hz is for example. And will check what my average max fps is... 

13 hours ago, fitness88 said:

I did a test again and now asw works perfect, I feel stupid 😛. I don't know why, did change some settings in my amd software....My max fps is a constant 80 and with asw on it's a constant 40 fps, it's perfectly smooth now. Thnks for the help, for oculus rift s all seems fine for now with a amd card.

5 hours ago, Wakkaman said:

I did a test again and now asw works perfect, I feel stupid 😛. I don't know why, did change some settings in my amd software....My max fps is a constant 80 and with asw on it's a constant 40 fps, it's perfectly smooth now. Thnks for the help, for oculus rift s all seems fine for now with a amd card.

👍

Anyone has problem with Oculus Rift S going black after some playtime in DCS ? The sound is still going and it is still Ok on my desktop screen, just no more video in the headset. I have to close and restart  DCS when this happen. I have no problem at all running MSFS. Running in default VR settings in DCS. Running on AMD Ryzen 5 3600 32Gig RAM and GE Force RTX 3060Ti 8gig.  Any special video settings on the graphic card itself ? It is annoying to fly then it start jerking the vision and just go black. 

19 hours ago, Chally850 said:

Anyone has problem with Oculus Rift S going black after some playtime in DCS ? The sound is still going and it is still Ok on my desktop screen, just no more video in the headset. I have to close and restart  DCS when this happen. I have no problem at all running MSFS. Running in default VR settings in DCS. Running on AMD Ryzen 5 3600 32Gig RAM and GE Force RTX 3060Ti 8gig.  Any special video settings on the graphic card itself ? It is annoying to fly then it start jerking the vision and just go black. 

Delete fxo and try updating video card drivers, try enabling hardware accelerated GPU or if enabled, try disabling, enable Game Mode.

On 2/4/2021 at 9:02 PM, Wakkaman said:

Could you share your ingame and Oculus Tray Tool settings? I think I'm having the same issue. With ASW on automatic, Im getting weird hitching when flying close to the ground. With it ON or on ADAPTIVe or OFF this doesn't seem to be the case.

I'm running a 3090RTX

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick.