Oculus Rift with DCS World Discussion

NineLine

Hmm, forgot they make wireless noise cancelling headphones now. Although the built-in one is pretty convenient. And to me, pretty decent sounding. What to do. What to do.

I liked the built-in ones for convenience, but too much sound would bleed through and bother my wife who works on another computer in same room. I switched to the Bose since they cup my ears. I also use them IRL with the NFlightMic when flying around in Cessnas, so it’s the same feeling on my ears whether in a real plane or DCS.

My DCS Missions: Band of Buds series | The End of the T-55 Era | Normandy PvP | Host of the Formation Flight Challenge server

Supercarrier Reference Kneeboards

IRL: Private Pilot, UAS Test Pilot, Aircraft Designer, and... eh hem... DCS Enthusiast

I'm curious about the last several seconds of this vid from ED recently:

RlmUWO2JL6I

Since it's really not VR directly, I'd like to know if there is a link on the ED forums to any more information about it...does anyone know?

(asking here since folks know me on this subforum :))

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

I'm curious about the last several seconds of this vid from ED recently:

RlmUWO2JL6I

Since it's really not VR directly, I'd like to know if there is a link on the ED forums to any more information about it...does anyone know?

(asking here since folks know me on this subforum :))

Nice teaser. I can’t identify it.

6d91458ca5f9ef174103f51bfcca24f7.jpg

My DCS Missions: Band of Buds series | The End of the T-55 Era | Normandy PvP | Host of the Formation Flight Challenge server

IRL: Private Pilot, UAS Test Pilot, Aircraft Designer, and... eh hem... DCS Enthusiast

F16 Falcon.../* wiping the drool */

We're making a full circle. F16 coming back. A6 Intruder making a comeback. Now we just need the F19 Stealth (lol) and the AH64 Longbow.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Is there anyway to launch DCS without Oculus opening up? Sometimes I unplug the Rift and just want to play “2D”, but whenever I launch DCS, Oculus opens too. If I close Oculus, it also kills DCS.

Bonus question: Is there a way to leave the headset plugged in, but launch DCS in non-VR mode, without Oculus opening up? I hate having to unplug the headset all the time. I’m sure I’ll wear out the USB connectors in no time.

I’d like to have two shortcuts on my desktop. One that launches DCS in VR mode with Oculus, and one that launches DCS without Oculus. Possible?

Thanks in advance.

"..:\Saved Games\DCS\Config\options.lua"

options = {

["VR"] = {

["box_mouse_cursor"] = false,

["custom_IPD"] = "1",

["custom_IPD_enable"] = false,

["enable"] = true, <<<<<<<<<<<<<< make this = false,

I have a batch file for this

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

F16 Falcon.../* wiping the drool */

We're making a full circle. F16 coming back. A6 Intruder making a comeback. Now we just need the F19 Stealth (lol) and the AH64 Longbow.

It's not full circle until I see a 172 on the runway at Miegs!

"..:\Saved Games\DCS\Config\options.lua"

options = {

["VR"] = {

["box_mouse_cursor"] = false,

["custom_IPD"] = "1",

["custom_IPD_enable"] = false,

["enable"] = true, <<<<<<<<<<<<<< make this = false,

I have a batch file for this

I found this way, which I thought was easier:

Just copy and paste another icon on the desktop add --force_disable_VR in the target line. My screenshot tells all...

Capture.JPG.4c6bc97ad510765774b541d8e8f927d0.JPG

It's not full circle until I see a 172 on the runway at Miegs!

Pffft. Cilli-vilian stuff! :D But yes, it is an iconic airfield.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

As a VR noobie accustomed to my home pit I have used for too many years to admit to, I am finding the transition away from my TM MFD's, home-made UFC, etc. a bit of a challenge. Here is a tip I am finding useful. Took small squares of stick-back velcro (hook half) and stuck them to TM MFD buttons 3, 8, 13, 18. Texture helps me locate those button quickly by touch and the others by reference.

Edited by Habu_69

As a VR noobie accustomed to my home pit I have used for too many years to admit to, I am finding the transition away from my TM MFD's, home-made UFC, etc. a bit of a challenge. Here is a tip I am finding useful. Took small squares of stick-back velcro (hook half) and stuck them to TM MFD buttons 3, 8, 13, 18. Texture helps me locate those button quickly by touch and the others by reference.

Good tip. I just cheat by peeking through the bridge of my nose! :)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

I'm a little confused after attempting to try this. I found the file you mentioned, but what exactly do I need to do to prevent the Oculus app from opening when I double-click the DCS icon on my desktop?

Yes Oculus app launches normally, but oculus home doesnt. you know the place with balcony and annoying backround music.

This is just to save some Vram and stop that annoying Home to load up if you disconnect from game.

Here is few links if you desire to get rid of oculus app completely:

Edited by voodooman
added links

Yes Oculus app launches normally, but oculus home doesnt. you know the place with balcony and annoying backround music.

This is just to save some Vram and stop that annoying Home to load up if you disconnect from game.

Here is few links if you desire to get rid of oculus app completely:

I run the Oculus Tray Tool prog

Which is somehow broken and won't start Oculus Home (to start the goggles up) automatically sometimes.

So I then start Oculus Home separately but with a different exe (I think Oculus changes this) then mentioned here:

"C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-client\OculusClient.exe"

starts Home (and thus your goggles through the running service)

BTW My Oculus runs smoother with the Oculus Tray Tool prog Pixel density (SS aliasing) at "0" which rather is "1"

and set this pixel density in DCS VR section at 2.0 (your mileage may vary)

It appears these work separately and in dense missions, my DCS will start to stutter, which this solved

(mind you my FPS barrels down to 22 sometimes, but no stutter on my 8600k@4.8Mhz/GTX 1080 rig and lots going on)

Edited by majapahit

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

Rift mic does work ok, but is there any way to increase its sensitivity? I have all the mic volumes maxed out but still must speak pretty loudly for VA to respond accurately.

same here, have an Ebay 5$ (or something) button microphone hooked up on a boom in front of me, which Does give enough signal for VA to work with - with windows 30db 'Boost' setting. Rift microphone does not have a 'boost' setting in the driver. Day and night.

That is odd, don't know what to suggest but I can tell you mine is quite sensitive, I use Voice Attack with Vaicom Pro and it recognizes my speaking very softly with no issue. My Rift Mic level in windows is at 100.

I did do the Windows Speech Training a few times, but would not think that would have anything to do with it picking up voice any better.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I have all the mic volumes maxed out but still must speak pretty loudly for VA to respond accurately.

As I said I connected a 5$ ebay microphone, but also, certain words, I am no native english speaker and mix american with Brit accents,

so some commands VA simply and stubbornly will not understand (from me)

f.i. "Chaff" to drop a chaff, when VA will simply keeps rejecting this word (tomatoes, tomatoes),

I stop VA, I then start windows "speech recognition"

I switch this on clicking the microphone "listening"

Right click menu and "Open the Speech Dictionary"

do "add a new word"

type in word "chaff" - next -

check "Record a pronunciation upon finish" - finish -

do "Record"

say "chaff" in microphone - check the recording by "listen" -

"finish" this, the word "Chaff" is no freshly added to the dictionary with your own voice.

End windows "speech recognition"

Restart VA

Voila, new word "chaff" recognized.

• 2 weeks later...

DCS VR optimizations

Hi everyone,

A couple of months ago ED had stated in their newsletter that they would put some love into VR in the form of performance optimizations.

So before I re-install ED's DCS I would like to know if these VR optimizations were actually done and released please?

Hi everyone,

A couple of months ago ED had stated in their newsletter that they would put some love into VR in the form of performance optimizations.

So before I re-install ED's DCS I would like to know if these VR optimizations were actually done and released please?

Still in the works, no release date mentioned. From the last newsletter:

DCS World Foundation

In parallel to all the above, the team continues to work on the foundation items of DCS World like air and ground artificial intelligence, performance optimization, more detailed damage models for all unit types, Vulkan implementation, improved VR optimization and improved Touch Controller support, aircraft wake turbulence.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Still in the works, no release date mentioned. From the last newsletter:

I do think though there was this 'up fps with VR' mod that doesnt work anymore, but DCS now when fps drops to 22-32 fps, doesnt seem to drag or stutter, and my wild guess is DCS integrated this mod (a simple shader tweak presumably)

I do think though there was this 'up fps with VR' mod that doesnt work anymore, but DCS now when fps drops to 22-32 fps, doesnt seem to drag or stutter, and my wild guess is DCS integrated this mod (a simple shader tweak presumably)

22-32fps yikes!!

I think I'll wait!

22-32fps yikes!!

I think I'll wait!

Well, if you tune your settings its 45fps which is the Tray Tool .5x default (not for those pesky missions with a lot going on)

BTW VR is like watching through the bottom of milk bottles, so .. then again most VR users choose to stick with VR not going back to 2D

On the VR low FPS comments, I find that even my low end system can run DCS at 45 frames when I tweak the settings. It doesn't look brilliant, but thats as much a Rift issue as it is a GFX card issue. I can turn up stuff to really high (and get low frames) and it doesn't look that much better than my standard settings where I can pull 45 FPS. The Shader mod does seems to work still and I find I can turn up my GFX quality a bit by using it, or keeping everything the same and getting more stable fps.

That being said, frame rates in the 30's are still relatively smooth for me. Its when it dips into the 20's it starts to be not good. This is with ASW on, so those numbers are really "double" the number.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

How does one use Oculus Mirror? When I use it to demo VR to my friends, the normal narrow VR view displays on my monitor on top of the mirror view. If I click on the mirror window to move it in front, focus is lost on the main VR view and controls cease to work. I have also set the audio to play on both the headset and speakers, but sound only comes thru the headset.