Oculus Rift with DCS World Discussion

NineLine

i dont want to wait another 10 years for perfect VR.

i am enjoy the rift implementation as it right now.

but i hope in 3 years time we will see a slightly upgrade gen 2 hmd's

My guess is we will probably see a CV2 from Oculus sometime in 2019.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Pimax 2018 carries me over to CV2 in 2019. Life is good! :)

I mean who could have imagined 5 years ago. Never mind back in MicroProse/Falcon3 years.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

• 4 weeks later...

Did anyone here own, or has any experience with, a GTX1070 and a GTX1080, especially in combination with DCS and the Oculus Rift?

I am currently filling the little spare time I have, doing research (and dreaming) about what system to buy as soon as I my home situation (very young daughter :helpsmilie:) allows it.

So I was wondering if the difference between a GTX1070 or GTX1080 (not the ti version) would be noticeable at all. On this website they compared both cards for the games Adr1ft and Project Cars . Where "gem" stands for average fps and "min" for minimum fps (never mind the the rest of the Dutch language).

Performance wise, the difference between both cards seem extremely low, or at least not worth the extra bucks. Or am I missing something essential here?

Anyone have any experience with both these cards in DCS?

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

• 1 month later...
Did anyone here own, or has any experience with, a GTX1070 and a GTX1080, especially in combination with DCS and the Oculus Rift?

I am currently filling the little spare time I have, doing research (and dreaming) about what system to buy as soon as I my home situation (very young daughter :helpsmilie:) allows it.

So I was wondering if the difference between a GTX1070 or GTX1080 (not the ti version) would be noticeable at all. On this website they compared both cards for the games Adr1ft and Project Cars . Where "gem" stands for average fps and "min" for minimum fps (never mind the the rest of the Dutch language).

Performance wise, the difference between both cards seem extremely low, or at least not worth the extra bucks. Or am I missing something essential here?

Anyone have any experience with both these cards in DCS?

I am using a GTX1070 (with an Intel I5-4690K (4.5Ghz) - 16GB) in combination with an Oculus Rift CV1 set and I am getting decent framerates if I use the correct settings (lots of info on what the correct settings are on this forum and you will have to do lots of testing as your setup is unique).

I still have no clue whether my CPU or my GPU is the bottleneck in my system but the flight experience is still very good.

I also have a CV1, I was getting alot of "freezes" with my current system, AMD 8 Core, 16GB & GTX -1080 so I decided to an upgrade to an Intel I7-6700K (works with DDR3) CPU, DDR3 1866 32GB RAM, SSD, I also bit the bullet and bought the EVGA NVIDIA GTX 1080 TI SC 11GB, but got it before Bit Coin drove up the price by 30%. I no longer have "freezes" of any kind, very smooth performance, Pixel Density 1.5 up to 2.0, still very smooth. cockpit displays are very sharp for me, the older aircraft models, like F-15C, are not as good as the newer one's, A-10C & F-86F, P-51D.

I tested my frame rate, I am getting a constant 45fps, if I pitch up to clear sky it jumps to 90 which suggests that the ASW is on, I ran the Oculus Debug Tool which show's the ASW as disabled, which is strange because I am not getting any frame rates between 45 & 90 fps, If it is capable of 90fps it jumps directly to 90fps otherwise it is always 45fps which is by definition what ASW enabled does. I would really like to test various settings in DCS and impact on frame rate.

I also have a CV1, I was getting alot of "freezes" with my current system, AMD 8 Core, 16GB & GTX -1080 so I decided to an upgrade to an Intel I7-6700K (works with DDR3) CPU, DDR3 1866 32GB RAM, SSD, I also bit the bullet and bought the EVGA NVIDIA GTX 1080 TI SC 11GB, but got it before Bit Coin drove up the price by 30%. I no longer have "freezes" of any kind, very smooth performance, Pixel Density 1.5 up to 2.0, still very smooth. cockpit displays are very sharp for me, the older aircraft models, like F-15C, are not as good as the newer one's, A-10C & F-86F, P-51D.

I tested my frame rate, I am getting a constant 45fps, if I pitch up to clear sky it jumps to 90 which suggests that the ASW is on, I ran the Oculus Debug Tool which show's the ASW as disabled, which is strange because I am not getting any frame rates between 45 & 90 fps, If it is capable of 90fps it jumps directly to 90fps otherwise it is always 45fps which is by definition what ASW enabled does. I would really like to test various settings in DCS and impact on frame rate.

I had the same issue with it being locked at 45fps. What you need to do is setup a profile or edit the profile automatically created by Oculus Tray Tool, and turn it off in the profile. Not in the global settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i7-12700k, 32GB Ram, RTX 3060 12GB, TrackIR 5, Lots of SSD Space, etc etc

DCS World - All the cool modules

Madmann,

thanks for the info, I assume I have a profile since Oculus forces you to create a login, so to get to the profile I just need to run the Oculus Tray Tool.

Correct. Then you just need to edit the profile to turn off ASW. Sooooo much better and smoother without it.

i7-12700k, 32GB Ram, RTX 3060 12GB, TrackIR 5, Lots of SSD Space, etc etc

DCS World - All the cool modules

So, I downloaded & installed the Oculus Tray Tool. played with the ASW settings but did not seem to make much difference in my case. In Auto or Off, I mostly saw 45fps unless I looked up into blue sky then it would vary from 45 fps to 90 fps, in external view it jumped up to 90 fps and rarely falling back to 45 fps, based upon my testing the cockpit display has a huge impact on the frame rate. I need to play with other option settings, or just start low and tweak upward until the frame rate starts to break. Even at 45 fps everything appears fairly smooth.

My other wish would be able to run the Oculus Rift CV1 without having to run the Oculus Home App. In the interim I have set it to run as Admin which means I can close it after I acknowledge the warning statement.

As a point of comparison, I have been working in the Modeling & Simulation world for 40 years, I have developed and flown many military sims over the years, worked with one of the first HMD's for simulators back in the 90's, DCS is an amazing virtual environment, the cockpits and aircraft flight dynamics are very realistic, as the environment grows and becomes more complex so does the requirement for higher performance hardware.

• 2 months later...

VR HUD visual glitch

Afternoon all,

I have been getting this weird visual glitch when restarting missions. It seems like the game still wants to render the previous cockpit outline which then masks text on screen. Fortunately it does not mask current pit but if i were to look at the briefing screen or map, the part that would have been the old cockpit completely covers that screen. Will attach photo to show what I mean. If you had this issue and know how to solve, please let me know!

Thanks!

[107th] Spirit | Pandion 1-4

Screen_180703_112722.png.4384830ef98e08c6f4422f3e3066da94.png

Question before the Persian Gulf Map was released I ran dcs and my rift worked perfectly with out any oculus software active. But since I’ve had to start the oculus software before the rift activates and I see the dcs screen. Are others able to run dcs without any oculus software running?

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

Question before the Persian Gulf Map was released I ran dcs and my rift worked perfectly with out any oculus software active. But since I’ve had to start the oculus software before the rift activates and I see the dcs screen. Are others able to run dcs without any oculus software running?

Oculus changed that in one of their latest software updates.

AFAIK no. Someone may have come up with a work around but have not seen it myself yet.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Oculus changed that in one of their latest software updates.

Oh bugger, I miss that feature. I liked opening DCS without the Oculus home nonsense, which I do not need :(

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

I’m away from my computer and I will be till the 19th of July

I’m on beta test channel so I have oculus ver 1.27 installed but I have oculus home 2.0 turned off

I have my oculus software set to run as administrator and the software doesn’t open when I launch DCS world

The last time I tried was 3 days ago and it was working perfectly

I’m away from my computer and I will be till the 19th of July

I’m on beta test channel so I have oculus ver 1.27 installed but I have oculus home 2.0 turned off

I have my oculus software set to run as administrator and the software doesn’t open when I launch DCS world

The last time I tried was 3 days ago and it was working perfectly

For me that is not working any more. I'm also on the Oculus beta branch. It was working like a charm but then stopped after some update. Now when setting Oculus home to run as administrator, DCS starts in VR mode, but the screen in the Oculus stays black.

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

For me that is not working any more. I'm also on the Oculus beta branch. It was working like a charm but then stopped after some update. Now when setting Oculus home to run as administrator, DCS starts in VR mode, but the screen in the Oculus stays black.

That happened to me as well as discussed also with dburne in another thread on this forum

He suggested to turn off oculus home 2 and to turn off beta test channel or whatever is called

I did what he suggested and everything went back to normal

Then after some time I wanted to see if with the beta version they fixed the “run as administrator thing” and I redownloaded the 1.27 beta version but still keeping home 2 off

And it is working

I lunch Dcs world, oculus home doesn’t open and when I wear the rift I see the image as normal

Don’t know why but it’s like this

Sorry not to be able to help more than this but this is exactly what I’ve done

FF agreed why have the overhead it would be nice if the OS would open dcs but before it wouldn’t because of the long load times.

I’ll have to check the os version settings but run as admin should be set.

Edited by BlacleyCole

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

Can anyone tell me if the NS430 Navigation popup works in VR?

The video I watched about says no, but the product description page is unclear in that it describes generic VR system requirements and does not state it does not work in VR.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

The product description page is not unclear at all - it has a very clear statement concerning VR at the bottom.

Edit - it isn't at the bottom any more - it's in the middle of the description, in a line all on its own:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/special_offers/ns430_and_ns430_mi8mtv2_bundle/

and

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/special_offers/ns430_and_ns430_l39_bundle/

Don't know which page you were looking at - but these are very clear that it doesn't work in VR.

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

The product description page is not unclear at all - it has a very clear statement concerning VR at the bottom.

Edit - it isn't at the bottom any more - it's in the middle of the description, in a line all on its own:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/special_offers/ns430_and_ns430_mi8mtv2_bundle/

and

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/special_offers/ns430_and_ns430_l39_bundle/

Don't know which page you were looking at - but these are very clear that it doesn't work in VR.

Thanks for that answerlecturexplanation :thumbup:

Here's a screen from the module at issue. I'm not reading the VR incompatibility statement.

However, after more investigation, if one clicks on the product link, there is more information there, which does state VR is a no go. Odd they wouldn't put that in the main description, though...

Capture.PNG.a58cb9193554099c2c2d905c0180f56c.PNG

Edited by DerekSpeare

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE