Oculus Rift with DCS World Discussion

NineLine

Thank you guys for all your answer , I will go with the Rift

You will be amazed at the immersion....prepare to find yourself reaching our for switches and trying to rest you arm on the cockpit rail! And maybe being a little airsick, at first! The other day I finally flew my first full mission, from cold start to landing and shut down, without having to remove the goggles at all. It was pretty cool. Some very recent upgrades (kneeboard, mouse key bindings) made that possible.....the implementation of VR is still far from perfect, but it is improving quickly.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA97XSLI

Core i7 4790 @ 4.0 Ghz

MSI GTX 1080ti

32 Mb RAM DDR3-2133

512GB SSD for DCS

HP Reverb VR HMD

Thrustmaster Warthog & MFG Crosswind

You will be amazed at the immersion....prepare to find yourself reaching our for switches and trying to rest you arm on the cockpit rail! And maybe being a little airsick, at first! The other day I finally flew my first full mission, from cold start to landing and shut down, without having to remove the goggles at all. It was pretty cool. Some very recent upgrades (kneeboard, mouse key bindings) made that possible.....the implementation of VR is still far from perfect, but it is improving quickly.

+1

You will never go back to 2D. It's simply amazing.

:pilotfly:

win 10x64 - Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero - I9 9900K@5.0GHz - Samsung 970 EVO m2 2TB - RAM Corsair 64GB DDR4 - Corsair H150i pro - Strix RTX 2080 Ti- oculus rift S and a few other goodies :joystick:

It has probably already been mentioned but this is a long thread. Get voice attack! It will make flying in VR so much more enjoyable. You can do virtually anything by voice, flaps up, down, landing gear, targeting, so on an so forth. Then bind targeting to the hotas top hat or if you run something like the X52 to the throttles hotas... makes like a breeze.

Just started to play DCS World in VR on the CV1.

I noticed that the buildings and bridges all look "double" when do fly very low over a town.

I am also still struggling to get the most optimal settings in DCS (the best graphical quality but still smooth flying to keep the immersion 100%).

Can anyone with a similar rig share his/her settings?

You need to lower your VR settings. I believe it is the distance option tha makes them look "double", set that to low.

It has probably already been mentioned but this is a long thread. Get voice attack! It will make flying in VR so much more enjoyable. You can do virtually anything by voice, flaps up, down, landing gear, targeting, so on an so forth. Then bind targeting to the hotas top hat or if you run something like the X52 to the throttles hotas... makes like a breeze.

Iv tried but can never get it to work.

Well after playing for the last two hours of different video settings, I have actually got mine working "smooth as butter" which seems like the hot button phrase on here. Here is what I found.

My system: 32GB RAM

Titan XP

Oculus Rift

Windows 10

Intel i7 3.3

These tests were done with the Oculus HUD and performance enabled to watch the true FPS

1. DO NOT enable distance viewing. If you change it to anything but low the FPS will drop about 25% in most scenes with any object. Plus you will get the "double vision" look on buildings.

2. DO NOT enable shading of any type. Same results as number 1.

3. In the VR settings, lower the pixels to the LOWEST setting. Then override it with the oculus toolkit to what you see fit. I can easily push 2.0 but that is with a Titan XP. Your results may vary.

4. I bind my cockpit view to a voice attack command, titled RESET. Then I sit back quite a distance from the sensor, and reset. This brings me forward in the cockpit which allows much better viewing of the screens, camera, etc.

5. Bind a key or VA command to the camera ( I am playing with the free plane for now) and disable it when not needed. It chews up FPS.

6. DON'T enable your mirrors. This is probably a given, but FPS drops like a rock.

7. Enable Textures to HIGH. It will make the cockpit look wonderful but doesn't seem to have almost any impact on FPS .

8. DO NOT enable any water settings higher then low. Even if there is a lake in the far distance, it will try to render it and FPS drops again.

Doing this I am at a very comfortable 90FPS for almost everything. I haven't tried it in combat yet, and doing things like firing missiles will drop FPS for just short bursts, but, overall, very comfortable settings.

Final notes, I don't notice any difference enabling MSAA or FSX type settings. No fps drops, but also, not clearer picture. Finally, I disabled HDR, and, same results for me, no difference in my graphics view so turn it all off. Disable all the things you don't need in other settings to keep processor settings lower...

Edited by iliad
  • Like 1

So the debug tool pixel density works better then the ingame option?

I'm wondering about the same thing?! :shocking:

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

I found the debug worked better than in game. I set in game to 1 and debug to 1.3 or 1.4 for best resolution and fps on my GTX 980. I found going lower than 1 in game looked worse even when jacking up the debug tool to compensate. Seems 1 if default and any less just creates more graphics work to bring it back up.

I5 6600K @4.5, Gigabyte GA-Z170XP mobo, GMMAXX GTE Cooler, MSI GTX 1080 ti Gaming X gpu (factory OC), SoundBlaster X-F1 sound card, 16 gig Corsair Vengeance ddr4 ram @ 3200 , 3 ssd hds, EVGA 650 Gold Power supply, Saitek X52 Hotas and rudders, 2 AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shakers, Pimax 5K+

I can test tonight by using the ingame pixel setting while keeping the other settings as described above...

Not any noticable difference between the Oculus tool and the ingame pixel setting.

Both allmost solid 90fps except when flying at treetop level over cities.

I do experience jerky movement of the buildings below when at 2.0

• Like 1

Hi guys. Are there any mods or changes you guys would suggest to help with spotting targets while using th Rift? I've seen references to labels mods but wasn't clear how they worked. If they worked with VR and what one might be best. Thanks Jason

Win 10 Pro, Intel i9 9900k overclocked to 5.1 (water cooled), 64 gb Corsair Dominator platinum RAM (3444 MHz)

Titan RTX overclocked and water cooled

1.1 TB SSD 2 TB M.2 SSD

TM Warthog Stick and throttle

MFG Crosswinds

Reverb VR

Buttkicker LFE, SimShaker, Jetseat.

All DCS modules

Where is the distance setting that makes the buildings look double ? Can't find it anywhere, on a side note, draw distance and trees/bushes are the killer for me, I can run HDR, Ultra Shadows, High textures with no ill effects, but as soon as I touch the view distance or the trees or clutter/bushes it all falls apart ! Which Is fine because on the low setting the trees just disappear slightly before I wouldn't be able to see them anyway, and my cockpit looks very nice with Ultra Shadows :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There was a hotfix put out for the CV Users having Problems with Sensors cutting off and on randomly.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I use the move your head as mouse pointer option. I prefer that but in f10 to drag the bearing/distance line I lose sight of the readout at the top. Is there an option to quickly switch to mouse control then back while in game? If so, I obviously missed it in previous posts, if not.... that would be a wonderful addition. Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group One | Discord

GUYS.... I don't know..... I got the rift and I tried all the demos and all they are AMAZING... but DCS world is the best I have never try in my life...absolutely speechless....

Yes of course the resolution, yes, but I change that for the immersion you get. Everything is bloody real and amazing and amazing.... I can't imagine this just next year. Looking forward to that :)))) Sorry but never go back to flat screen again. My best buy since 3DFX cards in 90's .. lol

Let's hope version 2.5 make the experience even more amazing than it is now....

I wish BMS would go for VR too.... it would be nice too

• Like 1

No input on the labels question above? Am I off base on what these are?

Win 10 Pro, Intel i9 9900k overclocked to 5.1 (water cooled), 64 gb Corsair Dominator platinum RAM (3444 MHz)

1.1 TB SSD 2 TB M.2 SSD

MFG Crosswinds

Reverb VR

All DCS modules

No input on the labels question above? Am I off base on what these are?

There is one that is JSGME compatible don't have the link handy... I tried it but it wasn't for me. Make sure model enlargement is on the highest setting. If I am flying somewhere with labels allowed I just use the default. I don't run with them on always. I have VoiceAttack set up so I can flip them on for a second or two for awareness then flip them back off.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group One | Discord

Thanks Sage

1.1 TB SSD 2 TB M.2 SSD

MFG Crosswinds

Reverb VR

All DCS modules

Hey everyone,

This is something else entirely in VR, simply amazing.

For tooltip label size increase (the default is a touch to small for me in the CV1).

You have to go to \DCS World\Scripts\UI\VRTooltip.DLG;

Line 71 - Size 18-20 (What ever works).

I found the other way through tooltip_cockpit etc, to not do anything. they must only be for 2D?

• Like 1

For Rift owners that are using Voice Attack and / or Vaicom....what are you using for a microphone that works with the Rift?

And....

I have never used either of these but am thinking about trying it to make life in VR better, especially for radio commands. I am still trying to work out what does what and what I need...looks like Viacom is a add-on that has most of the commands already set up? Do I need that? How many people use Voice Attack without Viacom? Does it work well? I watched a video about setting up Voice Attack with Auto Hotkey and Viacom...looks like a pain in the butt??

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA97XSLI

Core i7 4790 @ 4.0 Ghz

MSI GTX 1080ti

32 Mb RAM DDR3-2133

512GB SSD for DCS

HP Reverb VR HMD

Thrustmaster Warthog & MFG Crosswind