F-86 Sabre Books

Reflected

Any recommendations?

I've read "F-86 MIG Alley Dogfights", but it was too factual, concentrating on numbers and dates. Nothing about how it must have been to fly a Sabre in the Korean War.

51B3ewsrrrL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Then I read "Unforgotten Hero", but unfortunately it's more of a biography, with only the last few chapters being about flying in Korea.

51QZMTHBGyL._SL375_.jpg

Can you recommend any good books that gives more insight into the daily life of F-86 pilots over Korea?

Thanks

OS: Win10 | Hardware: Z97 Mainboard, i7 4790k @4Ghz, GTX980, 4x4GB DDR3-1600 Dual Channel Ram, TM Warthog (w/ Extension) + Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, TIR5 with Custom Clip

One of the finest novels ever written IMO, and by a former USAF Korean conflict Sabre pilot. I see that it has been released in Audible format, so I probably need to listen to it, having last read The Hunters by James Salter at least a decade ago.

R7 5800X3D / 32GB / VPC T-50 CM2 Base and CM3 Throttle with TM Hornet Grip / RTX 4080 Super / Meta Quest Pro

From Mig Alley

If you can find a copy of this, it's brilliant, still fondly remembered, unfortunatley stored away somewhere safe.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/images/2011/01/F86cover.jpg

Link taken from here

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/01/17/fly-papers-an-ode-to-sim-material

Also

dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a440091.pdf

just add WWW. to the front as it doesn't seem to want to link

Edited by Damocles
  • Like 1

From Mig Alley

If you can find a copy of this, it's brilliant, still fondly remembered, unfortunatley stored away somewhere safe.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/images/2011/01/F86cover.jpg

Link taken from here

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/01/17/fly-papers-an-ode-to-sim-material

Also

dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a440091.pdf

just add WWW. to the front as it doesn't seem to want to link

That last link is great. Thanks for posting Damocles.

R7 5800X3D / 32GB / VPC T-50 CM2 Base and CM3 Throttle with TM Hornet Grip / RTX 4080 Super / Meta Quest Pro

Any recommendations?

I've read "F-86 MIG Alley Dogfights", but it was too factual, concentrating on numbers and dates. Nothing about how it must have been to fly a Sabre in the Korean War.

51B3ewsrrrL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Then I read "Unforgotten Hero", but unfortunately it's more of a biography, with only the last few chapters being about flying in Korea.

51QZMTHBGyL._SL375_.jpg

Can you recommend any good books that gives more insight into the daily life of F-86 pilots over Korea?

Thanks

Officers In Flight Suits: The Story of American Fighter Pilots in the Korean War by John Darnell Sherwood; NY Press.

F-86 Sabre Books

Officers In Flight Suits: The Story of American Fighter Pilots of the Korean War; by John Darrell Sherwood; NY Press. Accounts are a bit more personal and entertaining as well as informative:)

officers-in-flight-suits.jpg.4142082a6c39397a700365858064bfd4.jpg

Edited by karl_T
Spelling error

• 2 weeks later...

I had to make an account here, I just bought the sabre and it's my first experience with DCS. I love the details.

Here are some good books I can recommend:

Best overall work

Sabres over MiG Alley by Ken Werrell

Good pictures, development and combat history

F-86 Sabre by Robert F. Dorr

Good small book, has tech and tactics etc

Sabre vs MiG Osprey Duel

Good for Technical info regarding various models

F-86 in Action

Hope this helps you get started. I have a few more on order that I have not read yet.

S!

Boots

Edited by Boots