Shooting myself in the foot.

Zeus67

Just to inform you folks that updates are getting a little slow due to several RL issues that frankly made me personally miss my schedule by two weeks.

And to add insult to injury I somehow managed to delete ALL DCS versions during a bungled update session. So, not only I shoot myself in the foot but then dropped a sledgehammer on it as well.

self-defeat-shooting-yourself-in-the-foot-let-me-go-your-own-worst-enemy-rkvc.gif

Everything is gone and now I have to reinstall everything. This is more time consuming thanks to the developer's version. I am at Day 2 (and counting) of the reinstall, hopefully there won't be a Day 3.

Afterwards I will have to reinstall 1.5.3, Open Alpha and Open Beta as well.

The aircraft is safe, although I probably lost a day worth's of changes. Won't know until I can test what I have.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

I'm feeling with ya. Sometimes shit just happens...

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

We have all been there mate xD.

Computers can be bastards at times even when its ur own fault.

It happends to the best of us.

And im confident everyone (well most of us) will be patient and understanding =).

And thanks for keeping us up to date and trusting us with the information =).

Ouch, sorry to hear - BUT! Yea.... been there too.

Pack up early - Don't work until Monday and relax.

I'm a programmer myself and when things like this happen I look at it as a sign to take a mini vacation. All of us are overworked (Even if it is by our own choice)

i9-9900k | 2080 Ti ftw ultra | 32gb DDR4 3200 | Oculus hmd | HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind | MFD Cougar

If you want i can zip and share my M-2000C Mod folder so you can recover your work as of the last patch :-) you don't need to start from scratch ! :lol::thumbup:

L'important n'est pas de tuer, mais de survivre.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

if you read this you are too curious

Ouch!

For the future please remember that if you only deleted files (Shift+Del --> Enter or uninstall etc) if you didn't write anything on the drive the files are still there! Even if you write something on the drive most of them are still there.

So first don't panic!

Grab a data recovery software and recover safely all your files on a different drive then check them if they are OK.... like open few textures and watch for corruption etc.

Check the sizes, etc.

If you want to be more catholic than the Pope then swap the drive letter from the backup drive to the one your game files were on (assuming you weren't using the C or the drive Windows is) and then start the game to see if it's working.

It's also good in the future to not use the Windows drive and the Swap file drive for "work" because they access the driver often and could write files as you look at the screen. For example... not for DCS in this case. If you delete accidentally huge chunk of data and you have a dynamic swap file, while you try to find a solution to recover the files you might have some files overwritten by the dynamic swap file in that time.

Basically if you have a clear from windows/OS drive you have minimum risk of aggravating the problem by time so don't panic. :)

There are many recovery tools out there. I used with good success for such cases GetDataBack for ntfs (you can google it). Check the demo before thinking to buy it and read the instructions carefully.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Wondering if the same thing happened to you. Nvidia drivers vs. multimonitor vs. windows 10 and disabled previous versions ... :D

Do, or do not, there is no try.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 64, i7 4790K ... etc. etc.

Ouch!

For the future please remember that if you only deleted files (Shift+Del --> Enter or uninstall etc) if you didn't write anything on the drive the files are still there! Even if you write something on the drive most of them are still there.

So first don't panic!

Grab a data recovery software and recover safely all your files on a different drive then check them if they are OK.... like open few textures and watch for corruption etc.

Check the sizes, etc.

If you want to be more catholic than the Pope then swap the drive letter from the backup drive to the one your game files were on (assuming you weren't using the C or the drive Windows is) and then start the game to see if it's working.

It's also good in the future to not use the Windows drive and the Swap file drive for "work" because they access the driver often and could write files as you look at the screen. For example... not for DCS in this case. If you delete accidentally huge chunk of data and you have a dynamic swap file, while you try to find a solution to recover the files you might have some files overwritten by the dynamic swap file in that time.

Basically if you have a clear from windows/OS drive you have minimum risk of aggravating the problem by time so don't panic. :)

There are many recovery tools out there. I used with good success for such cases GetDataBack for ntfs (you can google it). Check the demo before thinking to buy it and read the instructions carefully.

GetDataBack for NTFS really is amazing. I can completely vouch for this software. I was able to pull data off a slave drive which was deleted over a year ago.

I have tried other data recovery software and this was the best. It was amazing to say the least

• Like 1

i9-9900k | 2080 Ti ftw ultra | 32gb DDR4 3200 | Oculus hmd | HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind | MFD Cougar

GetDataBack for NTFS really is amazing. I can completely vouch for this software. I was able to pull data off a slave drive which was deleted over a year ago.

I have tried other data recovery software and this was the best. It was amazing to say the least

Saved my foot with that too on more than one occasion, including a disk failure and main file partition lost.

Thanks for the update Zeus, people appreciate consistent signs of life :)

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Murphy's Laws at their best... Murphy was an aircraft engineer...

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

And thanks for keeping us up to date and trusting us with the information =).

+1

Sad to hear it, but like most all have said, we have all been there at one point or another.

Good luck with the reinstall and recovery.

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

Murphy's Laws at their best... Murphy was an aircraft engineer...

Me and my friend had a special moment one time.

I was flying the F-15 a bit just messing about he tried to spawn in a Mig-21 but something happened and he couldn't hop into that one so he joined a next one.

But what we realized later on that when he tried joining in that previous Mig-21 it actually spawned in an AI in stead that took off and fly about.

Strangely enough my friend grew fond of the AI so he gave him a name.

And I'm sure you can imagine by now that he named him "Murphy" ...

Not sure why really but we just went with it so we flew about following Murphy on his adventure of randomly flying about.

Murphy was the lead I was to the left of him and my friend was of to the right, then I got an idea to actually fire a Aim 9 off his left side and scare my friend.

I fired off an Sidewinder (Unguided) and apparently he was looking somewhere else so he didn't really notice it so I fired a new one and to my surprise it hit Murphy ...

An Unguided Sidewinder Hit the Mig-21 "Murphy" and blew him to bits ...

When my shocked friend realized what had happen he released a really loud "Noooooooo" moment like in the movies you see all the time.

Meanwhile I was dying of laughter and still proceeding to laugh my ass off

As he was filled with sorrow of loosing his close comrade he was filled with rage and then he went on a quest to avenge Murphy by brutally trying to shove missiles in me.

We ended up Killing each other better part of the day ...

Good times ahhh I love Multiplayer : )

Edited by Rlaxoxo

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Youtube

Reddit

Haha, cool story man, thanks for sharing. I believe in DCS heater seeker will start seeking for a heat source even if you launch it without locking it up before launch. Basically this is what we and our squad mates keep in mind to avoid friendly fire. It is applies from 27ETs down range for Russian heaters, surely logic is same on AIM-9s.

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

Haha, cool story man, thanks for sharing. I believe in DCS heater seeker will start seeking for a heat source even if you launch it without locking it up before launch. Basically this is what we and our squad mates keep in mind to avoid friendly fire. It is applies from 27ETs down range for Russian heaters, surely logic is same on AIM-9s.

Nope Tested it a while back if you don't lock an Aim9 before firing it it wont track

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Youtube

Reddit

R-27T worked for me couple times in multiplayer. Strange that AIM-9 can't do it.

BTW that happened with magic locking ring in HUD? Can't see it anymore, but I saw it in older version of Mirage.

That's not Magic locking right that's the interception zone

Magic seaker head is the "+" symbol on the HUD

Interception zone appears when you're close to a target when you locked him up with a radar

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Youtube

Reddit