Buccaneer by the BANA Project

Buccaneer by the BANA Project

Yes, we're still here. The uncovering of some new, detailed and very interesting technical data has led to the decision to undertake a complete, wholesale rewrite of the flight model and systems - it's a big learning curve, any developer will tell you that! Enthusiasm however is definitely still driving things along - could still really do with a big chunk of help with regards to 3D modelling though! If anybody at all can assist with that, please drop me a PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"The only replacement for a Buccaneer is a Buccaneer".

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, I thought I'd give you guys a little update, just to let you know we are still here ;)

As you all appreciate, this project consists of a very small team of guys who work in our spare time around jobs and families. Consequently, there can be long periods of seeming inactivity - however, things get done as and when they can.

FLIGHT MODEL REDESIGN

After the 'discovery' of some very interesting data, it was decided to completely re-write the flight model from scratch to produce a SFM that is faithful to the Buccaneer. This consisted of converting hand drawn graph plots into usable digital data, then using that to calculate the various parameters required by the DCS flight model. Frustratingly, all the data is in imperial units too which necessitated further work in converting into metric and double checking the output of the functions for consistency.

This process is now almost complete, and preliminary testing is extremely promising indeed in terms of flight behaviours across the regime. We have not, at this time implemented any kind of 'fudge' to allow the Buccaneer to get off an Aircraft Carrier within the current confines of DCS World but it is something that can be integrated fairly easily.

Testing will continue to assess fuel burn and aerodynamic behaviours at the corners of the flight regime, although the main focus will be on behaviour within the normal flight parameters.

3D MODEL

The 3D model is being rebuilt from scratch too, and when we have something to show on this front be assured we'll let you know!

SYSTEMS

The system design document is completed in it's first draft and is being constantly re-assessed and tweaked where necessary. However, uniquely coded and modelled systems are still a fair way off at this moment in time.

Currently, the FC3 Su-25A cockpit and systems are being used for testing purposes for a number of reasons - primarily, the 3D custom cockpit that was imported from another simulator had such a large number of animations issues it was impossible to fly the aircraft properly from within the cockpit. The time that would have to be spent on correcting these will, in our opinion be better sunk into producing a new, DCS native custom cockpit. The Su-25A feels the best fit as it is from an aircraft of similar vintage, with a similarly rudimentary targeting system and a similar avionics capability.

There are a number of custom weapons modelled at the moment, but the 3D models are still under development and placeholder shapes are being used to test performance.

So, we are still here - and still beavering away! As ever, if you can contribute in terms of modelling or coding, please do drop me a PM!

Just as another teaser for you guys, here's an image from some flight testing I did over the weekend...

2rwvo82.png

Until next time, stay Faster, Lower, Longer ;)

"The only replacement for a Buccaneer is a Buccaneer".

Well, I thought I'd give you guys a little update, just to let you know we are still here ;)

As you all appreciate, this project consists of a very small team of guys who work in our spare time around jobs and families. Consequently, there can be long periods of seeming inactivity - however, things get done as and when they can.

FLIGHT MODEL REDESIGN

After the 'discovery' of some very interesting data, it was decided to completely re-write the flight model from scratch to produce a SFM that is faithful to the Buccaneer. This consisted of converting hand drawn graph plots into usable digital data, then using that to calculate the various parameters required by the DCS flight model. Frustratingly, all the data is in imperial units too which necessitated further work in converting into metric and double checking the output of the functions for consistency.

This process is now almost complete, and preliminary testing is extremely promising indeed in terms of flight behaviours across the regime. We have not, at this time implemented any kind of 'fudge' to allow the Buccaneer to get off an Aircraft Carrier within the current confines of DCS World but it is something that can be integrated fairly easily.

Testing will continue to assess fuel burn and aerodynamic behaviours at the corners of the flight regime, although the main focus will be on behaviour within the normal flight parameters.

3D MODEL

The 3D model is being rebuilt from scratch too, and when we have something to show on this front be assured we'll let you know!

SYSTEMS

The system design document is completed in it's first draft and is being constantly re-assessed and tweaked where necessary. However, uniquely coded and modelled systems are still a fair way off at this moment in time.

Currently, the FC3 Su-25A cockpit and systems are being used for testing purposes for a number of reasons - primarily, the 3D custom cockpit that was imported from another simulator had such a large number of animations issues it was impossible to fly the aircraft properly from within the cockpit. The time that would have to be spent on correcting these will, in our opinion be better sunk into producing a new, DCS native custom cockpit. The Su-25A feels the best fit as it is from an aircraft of similar vintage, with a similarly rudimentary targeting system and a similar avionics capability.

There are a number of custom weapons modelled at the moment, but the 3D models are still under development and placeholder shapes are being used to test performance.

So, we are still here - and still beavering away! As ever, if you can contribute in terms of modelling or coding, please do drop me a PM!

Just as another teaser for you guys, here's an image from some flight testing I did over the weekend...

2rwvo82.png

Until next time, stay Faster, Lower, Longer ;)

The update is much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EINDELIK nuus :) ek wag in spanning hierop. Miskien moet julle by 24 Eskader SA Lugmag kontak kry.

met vriendelijke groet,

Михель

"умный, спортсмен, комсомолетс"

[sIGPIC]159th_pappavis.jpg[/sIGPIC]

[TABLE]SPECS: i9-9900K 32gigs RAM, Geforce 2070RTX, Creative XFi Fata1ity, TIR5, Valve Index & HP Reverb, HOTAS Warthog, Logitech G933 Headset, 10Tb storage.[/TABLE]

• 1 month later...

Are you having aileron droop & rotating bomb door?

Air start with Palouste?

How about buddy air to air refuelling? That would be fun.

Can't wait to give it a go (Ex 208 Sqn in the 80s at Lossiemouth - "208 Penetrate!").

No need for all that flaring nonsense on landing - just keep on the glideslope until the ground meets you. If you can damage this kite on landing, then you are doing something seriously wrong ;)

PS - a good read on flying the thing ;-Trials and Errors: Experimental UK Test Flying in the 1970s

By Mike Brooke

Edited by mkiii

• 2 weeks later...
Are you having aileron droop & rotating bomb door?

Air start with Palouste?

How about buddy air to air refuelling? That would be fun.

Can't wait to give it a go (Ex 208 Sqn in the 80s at Lossiemouth - "208 Penetrate!").

No need for all that flaring nonsense on landing - just keep on the glideslope until the ground meets you. If you can damage this kite on landing, then you are doing something seriously wrong ;)

PS - a good read on flying the thing ;-Trials and Errors: Experimental UK Test Flying in the 1970s

By Mike Brooke

If you're into such books, I recommend ""Flying the Buccaneer: Britain’s Cold War Warrior"" by Peter Caygill.

Its quite dry reading, but at the time i was studying aviation so it was educational, lots of interesting designs and work-arounds that make it an interesting aircraft on the catapult.

A low level tosser is being made! Excellent! My dad was an engineer on the Bucc for the Navy. He loved em. I've heard a few stories about them.

One of them being of a Bucc sent out beyond radar range of the carrier (Eagle or Hermes) to test the defences and detection of the ship. Everyone was on look out with Binos and all sorts he told me. They spent ages looking for it and couldn't see or detect it. Until it went by under the level of the flight deck at just about transonic. Dad remembers with a fond smile seeing the back seat grinning and waving on the way past.

• Like 1