VR Update - March 2016

Wags

This is a good fix for the "dancing and shimmering" trees. I still have a few that have not been fixed, but most of them look much better :thumbup:

Does ED plan to fix this? The hit to the frame rates is :( and :music_whistling:

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a good fix for the "dancing and shimmering" trees. I still have a few that have not been fixed, but most of them look much better

Does ED plan to fix this? The hit to the frame rates is :( and :music_whistling:

I'm not sure :) I hope so

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Water cooled i9-9900K | Maximus Code XI MB | RTX3090  | 64GB | HP Reverb G2 

LOL thank you for the insight into my own PC

No need to LOL.. install 1.5.3 or wait for the 1.5.4 to hit the stable and do your test on the 104th.

I said the 104th, because I know their missions and how they hit the fps... so I can compare your result.

Doing a test on your own mp test (that could be much mure lighter than the 104th contents) wouldn't help much.

There's no way you can do constant 90fps in VR on that (or similar) server, nor by owning ten 1080 and a 8ghz CPU... because of the engine limitation, nor because you have a "poor" system, in fact there's no system on this planet that could do it. :)

No need to LOL.. install 1.5.3 or wait for the 1.5.4 to hit the stable and do your test on the 104th.

I said the 104th, because I know their missions and how they hit the fps... so I can compare your result.

Doing a test on your own mp test (that could be much mure lighter than the 104th contents) wouldn't help much.

There's no way you can do constant 90fps in VR on that (or similar) server, nor by owning ten 1080 and a 8ghz CPU... because of the engine limitation, nor because you have a "poor" system, in fact there's no system on this planet that could do it. :)

here you go, using the virtual aerobatic server on 1.5.4

as you can see a steady 90fps

[ame]

[/ame]

Max settings Jamison? And why is the recording so weird, left and right side is your desktop LOL... Can you fix it please? (So we see the full 1080p VR)

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

I was messing around today trying to see if I could improve my average frame rate. I'm pretty happy with what I have right now, but I wanted to see what this mythical 90fps for 99.9% of the time felt like.

To start the test, I put EVERYTHING on the absolute lowest setting, even 0.5 pixel density. I had 90 fps almost all the time, but I'd still hit occasional microstutter and I even hit 45 fps in some situations; most notably during the F-15 instant action mission when the bombers dropped their loads.

To me, this just confirmed that there's just so much that can be done on the user's end, and I need to tune for the average frame rate. I guess I'll go back to my normal settings with 2.0 pixel density and medium/high settings across the board because it was looking really good and I had 90 FPS more than 80% of the time, and at least 45 FPS for 99% of the time.

i5-4670K@4.5GHz / 16 GB RAM / SSD / GTX1080

Rift CV1 / G-seat / modded FFB HOTAS

Max settings Jamison? And why is the recording so weird, left and right side is your desktop LOL... Can you fix it please? (So we see the full 1080p VR)

The preview window is on 1080px tall, thats as wide as it gets, because its a mirror of the left eye.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Rico, does 80fps really feel any different than 90? I'm just wondering if the 90 is something used from convenience more than anything and the real nausea limit is somewhere between 75 -90.

Not really. The only real effect I notice in the 60-89fps range is a little bit of stutter as the ground moves by, while 90 locked is perfectly butter smooth. It's still perfectly playable at >60.

On the other hand, the dips into the 45 FPS range cause significant ghosting, and I would like to eliminate dips that deep completely, but based on that last test there's absolutely nothing I can do about it.

i5-4670K@4.5GHz / 16 GB RAM / SSD / GTX1080

Rift CV1 / G-seat / modded FFB HOTAS

No not max settings. I'm using these settings

20160625_093632.thumb.jpg.97d577eb38efb2527d363f9daf882e00.jpg

One thing I did notice is using the Gazelle I get a near perfect 90fps. If I jump in a fixed wing I do get a dip when taking off or landing. Sometimes drops to 58fps for a couple of seconds. But it's still judder and ghosting free..

Edited by =DECOY=

To jamison1982

Good setings. Gonna try that.

One suggestion. Turn off Anisotropic filter. In my experiance I does not add anything to picture, once takes frame rates.

thank you. I will give it a try :)

Anisotropic filtering is generally quite cheap comparatively. It's a way of blurring (filtering) a texture to avoid it being discreet dots/pixels, and anisotropic (which means 'NOT the same in all directions') is particularly good at filtering a texture on a surface that is at a grazing angle (ie as if you were close to the ground and looking at the horizon). This is good for when you are down low, or when rendering terrain, it adds to the look, particularly if you are using High quality textures. I would leave that on and keep looking for more things to cut out.

Anisotropic_filtering_en.png

Your settings look fairly typical. Online with my 980gtx I struggle to get much above 45 fps unless looking upwards at a blue sky. I just put up with it with the patient hope that we will one day get an optimisation pass or vive reprojection will get better. Right now a readable hud is more important to me than >60fps.

Edited by Shabi

Oculus CV1, i7 4790k @ stock, gtx 1080ti @ stock, 32gb PC3-19200 @ 2.4ghz, warthog & saitek pedals, razer tartarus chroma.

I also would not turn off anisotropic filtering completely. It improves the ground textures. Especially noticeable when you are on the runway (as the picture above suggests). Plus you nearly get it for free.

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

• 2 years later...

You'll need to adjust your graphic settings friend, start with the VR preset in the graphics options then slowly bring each setting up in quality until you find that nice balance of performance and graphics fidelity.

It takes a bit of time to do and you'll want to test the performance whenever you change something for a while to see how the performance is affected by whatever change you've made.

Try and use the same mission for all the testing to be sure that it's the settings you're changing that effects the performance and not different missions as some missions have a lot more moving parts in them that will change your performance regardless of the graphics settings.

Good luck!

Intel Core i9-10850K

ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming motherboard

Gigabyte Aorus GeForce RTX 3080 Master

32 GB Corsair Vengeance LED 3000MHz DDR4

Thrustmaster Warthog/ HP Reverb G2