VR Update - March 2016

Wags

• ED Team

Dear all,

As both the Rift and Vive near release, we continue improving VR support. We have both CV1 and Vive Pre kits and we are doing our best to create a great VR experience in DCS.

Last week in fact we added the "laser pointer" mouse to interact with cockpits. When the pointer is over a cockpit interaction element, it will turn green. We also greatly improved the presentation of the menu UI to make it look nicer and more readable. We are also now using Rift release code 1.XX.

There are still a few areas we want to improve, but overall, I think y'all will will have a great time with it. We see VR as seastate change for seated simulation. I do all my DCS "fun time" in VR now. Be it Rift or Vive, both will provide a very immersive experience.

Thanks,

Matt

• Like 1

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for sharing, Wags.

Good to hear your very encouraging words. To say you use it exclusively for your DCS play time speaks volumes.

Sounds like VR has arrived, to me.

Slip the surly bonds of Earth

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Core i7 2600k@4.5||Z77 Extreme 6||16GB RAM

WIN 10||HTC Vive ||G940||1080Ti

video maybe? so glad to hear about this update, but wondering how this 'mouse' laser point functions? like do you use a mouse? or is it integrated with the vive wands or touch? i cant seem to relate mouse and laser, when you can't see your hands...

other than that, this is exciting news! :)

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

Thanks Wags. Can't wait.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

video maybe? so glad to hear about this update, but wondering how this 'mouse' laser point functions? like do you use a mouse? or is it integrated with the vive wands or touch? i cant seem to relate mouse and laser, when you can't see your hands...

Video would be great.

Also, Wags can you tell us whether the pointer implementation will be easily extended to future peripherals, either by ED or 3rd parties?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thank you for the VR update, Wags!

I like the mouse interaction with the cockpits as it is, just make the label tags that appear when you hover over a particular cockpit control component larger. It would be good to know if DCS will use asynchronous time warp as well.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

I think it would be amazing if you guys added support for the Leap Motion. Interacting with the cockpit by using my real hands and fingers would be fantastic. The FlyInside team has demonstrated something like that.

Edited by korwynkim
Added video link

@Wags:

I hope you also fixed Helmet aiming with VR, as it is broken since first release of OB 1.5

anyways, good news!

In Huey, the gunner's position works really well. So much fun firing away on the guns!! :):joystick::pilotfly:

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

In my experience with VR prototypes in flight sims, the resolution, and SDE, where the most serious impediments to a good flight sim experience.

Hopefully after the NDA's are lifted Wags can give us a serious look at the difference between the two headsets, in regards to SDE, spotting distant objects, reading gauges, lens sweetspot, FOV, etc.

I plan on providing a thorough review as well. Rift comes in another month, and Vive a month after that. I'm going to be busy with VR, that's for sure!

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Can't wait! Thanks wags for the update.

Is Timewarp a oculus only feature? right now using the DK2 I get lower frames then the 75 required

and I've seen a lot of answers in the forum saying timewarp is not implemented and once it is it will fix it.

I pre ordered the vive and have a 980ti hope everything runs great.

Edited by TAnker737
Added a question

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 3930K @ 4.7Ghz | 980ti | 32gb Ram | Windows 10 64 bit | 840 Pro SSD

Thrustmaster Warthog | VKB Gunfighter Pro | Slaw Device RX Viper | Acer Predator X34

im glad to hear that Mr Wags is on board with VR.

the rift and vive couldnt have come at a better time.

people who dont even care about cockpit switchology, will just simple want to enjoy being in the DCS virtual world along with the amazing attention to detail of DCS models and game environment.

DCS & VR = win win for DCS and consumers

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

I imagine it will be an invisible line drawn from directly between the eyes and where it intersects with the cockpit a red or green "laser spot" sprite is drawn. I imagine it will either be directly locked to the view or the mouse will control the attitude of the line relative to the camera view.

Yes!! A Wags video would be awesome!!

Actually I very much enjoyed Wags bi-weekly news and product videos. Wish he'd start back doing them at least once a month!

That really was great in the lead-up to 2.0

Even monthly, or bi-monthly would be pretty awesome.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

we can speculate all we want, and how will rotary dials or multi position switches work in VR will be interesting to what ED has in mind...

Some sort of grip and twist mechanic seems plausible, or, specific to the Vive, use of the trackpad for rotation.

Either way it's going to be interesting, as you said.

Edited by S3NTRY11
Spelling

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I imagine it will be an invisible line drawn from directly between the eyes and where it intersects with the cockpit a red or green "laser spot" sprite is drawn. I imagine it will either be directly locked to the view or the mouse will control the attitude of the line relative to the camera view.

I think the same. A ray casting which can be moved by the mouse. That way we will no longer have the misalignment issue with the crosshairs.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051