Add the Ability to Save and Load Mission Progress

SharpeXB

A very great obstacle to playing campaigns and more complex missions in DCS is that the sim lacks the ability for a player to save their progress. This makes longer and more realistic, immersive missions completely unapproachable for the average player. Not many people have an hour+ of time they can continually devote to a game. And every other game genre on the market had a save system. Whether save slots or checkpoints, no other game forces a player to lose long amounts of progress. It's one of the chief reasons I think flight sims in general don't sell very well. Their gameplay isn't approachable. DCS is now offering DLC campaigns which are very well done but without this functionality, I don't believe many players will be able to appreciate them.

The game engine has the ability to save progress already because it can recall entire missions as tracks which can actually be taken over to resume play, except you need to fast forward through the whole part before. Just change this to a snapshot of time.

This is a really critical feature if ED wants to sell campaigns and also increase the appeal of the sim in general. Full featured sim aircraft deserve more than just quick missions. But long realistic flights demand the ability to save and resume.

There could be different methods in the ME and the designer could choose options. Maybe the saves occur at waypoints, or after certain objectives, or at will or not at all if that level of challenge is a goal.

ED won't succeed reaching a broader base of players or succeed in selling campaigns without a system like this.

• Like 3

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Your wish is Chromium's command:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=149899

Excellent!

Do you get credit in a campaign though for completing a mission this way?

If this is possible with a mod then it should be possible in the game itself. Mods are fun but they're problematic as well.

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Excellent!

Do you get credit in a campaign though for completing a mission this way?

If this is possible with a mod then it should be possible in the game itself. Mods are fun but they're problematic as well.

Don't think so. It essentially creates a new mission from scratch that has units in the position they were when you hit the save button.

Don't think so. It essentially creates a new mission from scratch that has units in the position they were when you hit the save button.

Well at least the mod shows it's possible to save a situation. It would just be up to the game software to work that save into the campaign.

I can easily imagine a campaign like The Enemy Within having save spots worked into the mission waypoints and after sucess on the objectives. It's nice to have the save points objective oriented like they are in most games as it gives you a bit of challenge, but not such a great obstacle as repeating the entire chapter. It could be up to the mission designer on how it's incorporated. There are certain hardcore style missions like Maple Flag where the test is to complete them in their entirety with no re-do. But that's rare.

Once again just look at how literally every other game handles the issue. It's not hard to see that flight sims need to evolve in this regard. And the solution here is not difficult.

It's Necessary!!!

i being playing DCS for almost 4 months now, and the lack of save in flight function is a big thumbs down, why not everyone has 3+ hrs to play a long mission each time you get shot down i really want to finish all the campings.

it's my first post greetings to all, yes the lack of save game make register in the forum. thats how badly is needed.

+1 I think x-plane has a "save situation" feature to allow you to continue from that point later and it would definitely make long DCS missions more manageable for many people.

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

Yes. X-Plane 10 has a "save situation" feature. Obviously a necessity for a sim where you can fly hours long flights. So it's not unheard of for a flight sim to be able to do this.

In fact the combat flight sims might be the only game genre without a save feature which is really puzzling. I think it's the chief reason that they aren't popular. Not being able to save game progress is unappealing to players.

• 4 weeks later...
A very great obstacle to playing campaigns and more complex missions in DCS is that the sim lacks the ability for a player to save their progress. This makes longer and more realistic, immersive missions completely unapproachable for the average player.

^^This!

I'm surprised this thread didn't gain more traction tbh. I'm glad I searched the forum as I was about to start a new thread for this.

I really hope a 'mission save state' function can implemented in the near future. I understand ED have a lot on their plate but basic functionality in this regard would surely not be too great an ask?

I'm imagining a whole new breath of life into DCS allowing, as you say, more casual approaches to long events that unfold over many hours. Only with this function you can fly one mission>save>exit and come back to fly another mission with the impact of the previous mission flown being persistent.

It would kinda form a basis of the all elusive 'dynamic campaign'.

Wags, please hear us!

Cheers.

F-15E | AH-64 | F/A-18C | F-14B | A-10C | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2 | Ka-50 | SA342 | Super Carrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Syria |

Intel Core i7 11700K - 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 - MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming X 12GB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD 1TB

Imagine realistic combat missions involving long sorties and multiple AARs

Or even just being able to play this game the way every other game in the world is.

No other game genre lacks a save system. It's perplexing why flight sims alone have this issue.

And it's not an engine limitation, the tracks are proof it can be done.

ED is now beginning to sell these DLC campaigns which is great. But without a save system I fear they won't sell very well. It may be something that's possible in the ME already (there's apparently a mod which can do it but it's not linked to a campaign), in that case whichever vendor adds that feature is going to outsell all the others.

Edited by SharpeXB

This actually used to be a feature of an earlier incarnation of the sim-years ago. You could save the mission at any point and, then, load it and continue from where you left off. I'm not clear as to why it was dropped.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

I'd be very curious to know why it isn't a feature anymore.

F-15E | AH-64 | F/A-18C | F-14B | A-10C | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2 | Ka-50 | SA342 | Super Carrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Syria |

Intel Core i7 11700K - 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 - MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming X 12GB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD 1TB

• 1 month later...

I'd be very interested in this feature and/or knowing why it might be difficult to implement. As a noobie to the genre, i find it very intimidating to repetively fly 15 minutes into the mission then only to get shot down and have to restart.

Your wish is Chromium's command:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=149899

Thanks for the link to the mod though, i'll try this out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Please add it!! Because when you get killed you have to repeat the same mission again to continue campaigns, I left playing them.

We don't have dynamic campaigns so at least give us tools to not make them repetitive and frustrating.

Even saving a certain situation, we can learn how to solve the situation best with different tries.

Great idea, I also agree!

a "save situation" feature

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals

• 1 month later...

I flew Hueys in Vietnam, both slicks and charlie model gunships. I will say that this is the best flight model for a Huey that I've found. That being said, there are things that happen in campaign missions that simply would not happen in real life. For example, losing sight of an aircraft in formation flight and not being able to find him again. You would talk to each other on the radio and reform. In this sim you lose the aircraft and all of a sudden you fail the mission. Then you can't save the mission progress so you have to fly the whole thing again. I don't have the time to do that. I would like to proceed with the campaign w/o restarting all the time. The developers should fix this pronto!

• 1 month later...

Just rage quit after the second attempt at a campaign mission, right near the end of the mission. I second this, a thousand times!

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2