Ground Electric Power

ekg

Is ground electric power on by default on cold-start missions? For example in the MiG-21bis and M-2000C it seems to have no effect. What is the actual start up procedure like? I'm guessing there should be a truck with a generator to provide power? As a potential wishlist could this be animated?

Ground power is off by default for cold starts.

I know the switch in the cockpit is but what about the ground power that is supplied to the plane? You have to contact the ground crew to supply it.

What's odd is that it's turned on in the cockpit before calling the crew. I also found that in the M-2000 and MiG-21 that the crew doesn't do anything special. Am I missing something?

I remember a screenshot a while ago. Calling ground power On would hook up that power trailer to your plane. Someone forgot to request turning it off and took off with it... it was attached to the plane mid air, just like it was on the ground. I'm sure it was some bug in v1.2.x, but the sight of the screenshot still haunts me :D

But to your question, cold-start has ground power off as phantom said. It means your systems are running on your onboard battery and onboard apu/starter, where applicable.

Sent from my pComputer using Keyboard

In the startup procedure for the real MiG-21bis manual, it strongly suggests using ground power. But it does have you perform a quick test to see how the battery responds to powering some core systems before having you shut everything down and request ground power. The battery needs to be ready and strong for emergencies, so they don't want you deep cycling the battery just because you don't want to take the time to hook up ground power. When you perform a full startup with all the system checks before starting the engine, the battery could die on you.

In the game, you don't do any of the system checks, you skip straight to hooking up ground power and starting the engine, then removing ground power. So, the using virtual battery instead of ground power probably doesn't have any penalty in the game.

I not only use ground power with every cold start, but have tried following the comprehensive full procedure. Unfortunately, some of the systems modeling doesn't conform to the real behavior, so some steps need to be skipped/ignored.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is ground electric power on by default on cold-start missions? For example in the MiG-21bis and M-2000C it seems to have no effect. What is the actual start up procedure like? I'm guessing there should be a truck with a generator to provide power? As a potential wishlist could this be animated?
It does have an effect on MiG-21, but the Mig doesn't need ground power to start. If you ask to turn the ground power on, you'll see a small jump in voltage. Also if your battery is dead (happens roughly after 20 minutes with most of the systems turned on without the engine running), you can use the ground power to power the plane.

I agree, it would be nice to have visible ground power unit for all the planes.

I remember a screenshot a while ago. Calling ground power On would hook up that power trailer to your plane. Someone forgot to request turning it off and took off with it... it was attached to the plane mid air, just like it was on the ground. I'm sure it was some bug in v1.2.x, but the sight of the screenshot still haunts me :D

I remember that screenshot too. The best DCS bug ever :D. I was trying to find it but I couldn't. It was C-101, wasn't it?

I remember that screenshot too. The best DCS bug ever :D. I was trying to find it but I couldn't. It was C-101, wasn't it?

Yeah you are right, it was C 101! I couldn't find it anymore either... Such a bumma really, one of the best smile-inducing visual bugs I've ever witnessed. It should have been preserved for future generations like a treasure :D

Maybe now that we have removable chocks on L39 for example, we can get more of similar and expanded features on other modules as well. The more of these details, the better for greater overall immersion.

Sent from my pComputer using Keyboard