Worn out Su27 cockpit.

It resembles one Hawk reworked cockpit textures... I can see near the tachometer some sort of tadpole :D .

I like how Cobra874 made the 21 old. Is paint cracked or worn that has been again repainted. And he uses a mix of textures, diffuse and normal to achieve a hard to shake from the mind as not really real.

Scratches that look like vandalism are not tricking the mind especially when they have shapes you can identify with animals :).

I hope you are not offended.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

It resembles one Hawk reworked cockpit textures... I can see near the tachometer some sort of tadpole :D .

I like how Cobra874 made the 21 old. Is paint cracked or worn that has been again repainted. And he uses a mix of textures, diffuse and normal to achieve a hard to shake from the mind as not really real.

Scratches that look like vandalism are not tricking the mind especially when they have shapes you can identify with animals :).

I hope you are not offended.

I haven't got a clue what the hell you are talking about matey, so I can't be offended. Keep taking the tablets LOL

Mizzy

ok... no problem. but maybe this helps... maybe not.

lYFJbzg.jpg

out

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

ok... no problem. but maybe this helps... maybe not.

lYFJbzg.jpg

out

Maybe I need to reiterate from my first post, it's not finished (WIP) yes I already know the problems on the graphic that repeats on both sides, not much I can do about that apart from remove it. As for specular maps and such, again it's WIP. If you can see animals, any particular one you like most ? ok no problem but maybe this helps, maybe not :-)

Mizzy

Edited by Mizzy

Maybe I need to reiterate from my first post, it's not finished (WIP) yes I already know the problems on the graphic that repeats on both sides, not much I can do about that apart from remove it. As for specular maps and such, again it's WIP. If you can see animals, any particular one you like most ? ok no problem but maybe this helps, maybe not :-)

Mizzy

OK, I'll try one more time. It's not a problem that something repeats it self. It's what it is. We humans have (with pills or not) a very very good software (call it an app if you wish) for quickly recognizing shapes that resembles heads or faces. We use a lot of clues for this but most important are round shapes that look like heads and... eyes. The things I pointed to you are scratches you made that simply resembles animal heads and they will break any immersion with a bang. Maybe you did that subconsciously since "you can't see it"... is not a problem either but at some point you need to let go of arrogance and jokes and look at them... in the face (sic).

The second problem as I said is the fact that the main things we can see in this WIP are scratches that look like vandalism. It is something man made. Someone took a 50 kopeika coin and just scratch the pit from right to left then drew some funny dinosaurs on it.

This will not strike the mind as "real worn".

As Kuky said, look on all Su-27 cockpits and see if you find one with such vandalism marks

https://www.google.fr/search?q=su-27&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=955&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjT-NbFsqbLAhVCG5oKHV7JClYQ_AUIBigB#tbm=isch&q=su-27+cockpit

Finally... I know is work in progress, that's why I comment as a feedback, I don't say: what you did is bad, I say you can still correct it.

There is no need to be so defensive of your early wip since you post it. If I would do a mashed potatoes dish with some roasted chicken and post as a wip picture a sack with unpeeled potatoes on the floor beside a cat... I wouldn't be upset if some one would try to say to me not to cook the cat... it's an honest mistake for such an early wip picture...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I agree, I think heavy paint chips like that are not very common in Su-27. Area around canopy is most weathered one in all aircraft, areas of heavy traffic (stick, edges of panels) is where you would get paint wearing off mostly... not so much on flat area.

No longer active in DCS...

I agree, I think heavy paint chips like that are not very common in Su-27. Area around canopy is most weathered one in all aircraft, areas of heavy traffic (stick, edges of panels) is where you would get paint wearing off mostly... not so much on flat area.

Yes thank you for feedback Kuky . Indeed the shot does not show the WIP of all the areas. Unfortunately the graphic repeats in some areas. It usually takes me six months to figure out a worn paint scheme and where best to wear it !!, I did quite a few when I was part of the 'Black Shark' Beta test mod team but it's been a long time now and haven't really done anything for past 5 years. I will release progress over the coming year.

Mizzy

Screen_160304_130642.thumb.jpg.7440d88d1ecea4f367fa63337f8a5fda.jpg

Screen_160304_130742.thumb.jpg.1ffbc70eb3c032f510ed14a754a2206d.jpg

Screen_160304_130822.thumb.jpg.7099ac21333692b574936c451f9f2bf1.jpg

Screen_160304_130848.thumb.jpg.3a821aa619caa32ebd0153965b067c2a.jpg

Screen_160304_130916.thumb.jpg.50db25133a4f7227d29e4c10674e783c.jpg

Screen_160304_131005.thumb.jpg.a0489b20d669743a6db8ab2ecac7a896.jpg

Screen_160304_131010.thumb.jpg.912f891297ee7f2f27ced4fbb1067140.jpg

Not sure if you know or can do this but, I think good way of making the worn out area look more realistic is if you can make that area be more light reflective, especially on edges.

No longer active in DCS...

OK, I'll try one more time. It's not a problem that something repeats it self. It's what it is. We humans have (with pills or not) a very very good software (call it an app if you wish) for quickly recognizing shapes that resembles heads or faces. We use a lot of clues for this but most important are round shapes that look like heads and... eyes. The things I pointed to you are scratches you made that simply resembles animal heads and they will break any immersion with a bang. Maybe you did that subconsciously since "you can't see it"... is not a problem either but at some point you need to let go of arrogance and jokes and look at them... in the face (sic).

The second problem as I said is the fact that the main things we can see in this WIP are scratches that look like vandalism. It is something man made. Someone took a 50 kopeika coin and just scratch the pit from right to left then drew some funny dinosaurs on it.

This will not strike the mind as "real worn".

As Kuky said, look on all Su-27 cockpits and see if you find one with such vandalism marks

https://www.google.fr/search?q=su-27&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=955&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjT-NbFsqbLAhVCG5oKHV7JClYQ_AUIBigB#tbm=isch&q=su-27+cockpit

Finally... I know is work in progress, that's why I comment as a feedback, I don't say: what you did is bad, I say you can still correct it.

There is no need to be so defensive of your early wip since you post it. If I would do a mashed potatoes dish with some roasted chicken and post as a wip picture a sack with unpeeled potatoes on the floor beside a cat... I wouldn't be upset if some one would try to say to me not to cook the cat... it's an honest mistake for such an early wip picture...

Ever thought it might be the way you 'explain' things as it may come over as both condescending and sarcastic ? Just an observation. It is not being defensive as you put it, when I see a sarcastic remark I treat it as such. I hope you now understand !

Mizzy

Not sure if you know or can do this but, I think good way of making the worn out area look more realistic is if you can make that area be more light reflective, especially on edges.

That's the 'specular' map which I don't understand yet. We only got this feature recently with Dx11. Yes that will be something I will try and learn. Also the paint although there is undercoat, I think bare metal would look better. See what happens in the coming months :-)

Mizzy

Ever thought it might be the way you 'explain' things as it may come over as both condescending and sarcastic ? Just an observation. It is not being defensive as you put it, when I see a sarcastic remark I treat it as such. I hope you now understand !

Mizzy

I wasn't sarcastic, I was trying to make a "critic" comment in a funny way... They tend to be easier to accept... But it came the other way around. :)

I saw your other repaints on boats and Su24 (iirc) and they looked better, maybe because they were finished or because they were other objects (not cockpits) or maybe different technique was used.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mizzy, the thing that Kuky and Zaelu are getting at is that the worn look is going to apply to areas that get touched/rubbed/etc rather than just random flakes and damage all over the pit.

Try this:

Imagine you sat in the cockpit and ask yourself what do you or have you touched?

Take a two way switch, the wear is going to be in two places, above and below. A rotatary knob is going to have wear around it.

Other examples would be the throttle, there's going to be wear by any buttons, but also probably on the "shaft" where it goes into the frame and gets rubbed by rubber/dust excluders. Grab handles will obviously get rubbed and worn.

A flat panel on the other hand, like the one by the RPM gauge isn't going to get touched by your hands, your legs, or pretty much anything, and it isn't just going to sport big flakes missing. Maybe the occasional scatch :)

The A-10c "War Horse" cockpit is a great example, along with the Mig 21.

I'm quite interested to see where you take this though.