50fps but huge lag spikes in MP 1.5.3

Dugong

MMh yeah 16Go of ram and a GPU that cost more than 300€, that's standard.

The fact is that the game ran VERY GOOD until 1.5.3, our PC aren't the problem, it's this update that ****ed up everything.

All people complaining about that understand the clearly, it's the fault of DCS, but in the other hand, ED Tester keep saying that the issue is caused by our PC, and it's 99% false (1% is the DOF effect :p ).

I'm bored to have to fight issues against issues, to have to fix a sim that is suppose to have reach a stable version ! In fact even the first release of 1.5 was a lot better for my framerate...

Ram is cheap today. Grab yourself another 8 GB. OR JUST TWO NEW 8gb sticks

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

you answered your own question, but there are more.

Ram is cheap today. Grab yourself another 8 GB. OR JUST TWO NEW 8gb sticks

I can still run Xplane10 stutter free and with good fps on fairly high settings. DCS won't even on minimum settings.

And in my case, if DCS uses ~2-4GB RAM (minimum settings), and the whole system uses ~50% of available 8GB RAM. How would buying additional 8GB help?

In any case, I will wait for the next update, and hopefully whatever is bugging the game will be resolved.

Edited by Tonike

Core i7-2600K @ 4.7Ghz, Asus GTX 980 strix 4Gb VRAM, 16Gb DDR3 1600Mhz, Samsung 1 TB SSD, Samsung spinpoint F3 HDD, MB P8P67 PRO rev 3.1.

• ED Team

Ive said it before, my dcs is stutter and lag free, so it is difficult for me to reproduce what you are seeing.

ED are always looking at optimisation, so do not loose hope.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Ive said it before, my dcs is stutter and lag free

Same here. See Post 18

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

The only possible thing that is different is your system & game settings

I've seen time and again how certain programs just don't run on some HW/OS combos very well regardless of how you configure the platform, because PC hardware just is so wildly divergent and heterogenous. That's too bad, but it is what it is; after all, no-one ever claimed PCs are in any way, shape or form high-end... :dunno:

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

If your system is not high end then you will just have to lower your settings for starters and accept you can't run high graphics.
This machine is an i7-2600k@4.6GHz / Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 / 16GB RAM / GTX980 4GB VRAM / Win 7 Home Premium 64bit / Corsair Force GT SSD running 20 processes & 25 services all told at idle. It ran v1.5.2. perfectly, and yet _no_ amount of lowering settings seems to rectify this demented lag spiking & stuttering I'm now seeing in v1.5.3.

So how about that then, my above-the-spec machine suddendly turned into excrement or what? OK, gotta shove _that_ in my pipe and smoke it...

And mind you, FperS is just fine persay, I'm getting constant 60FPS whenever the spiking isn't there, i.e. altogether too seldomly. So THAT's my complaint right there, not sheer f/s.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

• ED Team

msalama, are you running a script folder in your saved games location at all?

if so clear it out and run without it, to see if any difference is noticed

edit: in fact try renaming your saved games dcs folder, keeping it as a backup, restart dcs allowing it to create a new one.

redo your settings in game and copy your input folder to the new location. just to see if something in your dcs settings is fubar

Edited by BIGNEWY

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Strangely, I just might have solved my problem. Now I can play fairly stutter free. There's still microstutter sometimes when tgp aquires the target for example.

What did I do? I'm not sure actually.

I deleted my saved games\DCS folder (saved my input folder)

Tried the game - still stutters.

then copied Ragnaroks shadow file

try my file

extract and paste in "...\Config\Effects"

I slide the preload radius to the max. Then tried the game; hmm.. seems better.

Then copied the original shadow file and tried again. Strange.. it's still better. What?

I could then up my graphics settings higher.

Also, when the level is loaded and you're sitting in the cockpit, I zoom in and out in every direction with rage, so that all the swapping is done. I don't know if this makes any sense or if it's helpful but.. oh well. I wonder if it stutters tomorrow.

Here's my graphic settings now.. Haven't really tried higher.

settings.thumb.jpg.dd17e8a3170e2e39f367e0b56f7d6080.jpg

Core i7-2600K @ 4.7Ghz, Asus GTX 980 strix 4Gb VRAM, 16Gb DDR3 1600Mhz, Samsung 1 TB SSD, Samsung spinpoint F3 HDD, MB P8P67 PRO rev 3.1.

An update, I re-installed dcs release on my SSD, and tried out with the same settings as with my HDD, and it seems like it works a lot better now. And I also tried to turn DoF to simple and it only drops around 15 fps when using F2. I hope the HDD was the problem. I have only test Instant action yet.

What does the settings in the red circle do to the game, and what are important

1114476143_dcssettings.thumb.png.2dcb0a4fe6f33f3b69d4272ee577308f.png

Edited by karkka

Windows 10 pro 64bit | Intel I7 4790K@ 4GHz | 24GB Crucial ballistix sport 1600MHz DDR3 | ASUS Strix GTX1080Ti OC | Crucial mx 100 250Gb SSD | Crucial mx 300 520Gb SSD "Game disc"| Samsung 1Tb HDD |

Same here. Was great in 1.5.2 (well, performance wise :D ). Now I have huge stuttering, any menu such map, slot select or score menu is dragging the computer down to 0.5 FPS'lideshow.

Note that giving computer spec may allow the dev to check if it's related to some specific GPU/CPU.

AMD 4350 quad core

R9 270

8Gig ram.

• ED Team

have you tried a fresh saved games dcs folder darkwolf?

I played some more, and it seems that the problem has not gone away..... I turn off DoF, what does that really do, to me its only make the world blurry.

Windows 10 pro 64bit | Intel I7 4790K@ 4GHz | 24GB Crucial ballistix sport 1600MHz DDR3 | ASUS Strix GTX1080Ti OC | Crucial mx 100 250Gb SSD | Crucial mx 300 520Gb SSD "Game disc"| Samsung 1Tb HDD |

• ED Team

dof is the blur effect in f2 view, it will give a performance hit currently so best left off

dof is the blur effect in f2 view, it will give a performance hit currently so best left off

Dumb question maybe but why do I want it on if it makes things blurry?

I´m now playing Enemy within, and sometimes it runs really smooth, and sometimes I get stuttering and frame drop, and it´s not because of lots of action.

• ED Team

depth of field is mainly for taking screens shots, as far as I can tell, I have mine off always

Hi Kuky here are my settings :smilewink:

Civilian Traffic... set this to low (more civilian traffic just uses more CPU. You really don't need it)

Visibility Distance... this is way too high (as I thought). Please lower this to HIGH, you could even use MEDIUM setting.

MSAA... change this to 4x.

Terrain Flat Shadows... you can set this to OFF (it doesn't have big impact on FPS, not on my PC anyway)

change these and see how you go...

No longer active in DCS...

Civilian Traffic... set this to low (more civilian traffic just uses more CPU. You really don't need it)

Visibility Distance... this is way too high (as I thought). Please lower this to HIGH, you could even use MEDIUM setting.

MSAA... change this to 4x.

Terrain Flat Shadows... you can set this to OFF (it doesn't have big impact on FPS, not on my PC anyway)

change these and see how you go...

Thanks KUKY. I will give it a try. I only hope to set it back on max settings when this game will be improved.:(

| I9 9900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO] |16 GB DDR4 HyperX 3466 MHz | SSD EVO 840 1 TB | MSI 2080TI GAMING X TRIO | ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q 27" 2560 X 1440 | TRACK IR 5 | THERMALTAKE CORE X9 | HOTAS WARTHOG |MFG CROSSWIND|

• 4 months later...

Well, not sure if this thread is anyway active. Over the past several weeks I have been getting my own issues of a bit of lag here and there on Multiplayer (mainly whenever somebody enters/leaves the server), but the main issues for me was the constant stutter only on multiplayer. It was very prominent while moving on the ground and while in the air making quick movements, i.e aileron roll etc. It was almost unplayable as it was all I was focused on.

Although single-player was buttery smooth no problems there.

My system is overlocked to 4.3ghz. You can see my system specs in my signature. The BCLK speed was running at the stock 100mhz. I have another saved overclock profile which is at around 4.1ghz, and realised that BCLK speed was at 103mhz. Turns out, if I had it at 100mhz on multiplayer the odd stutter would come into play. If i switched it over to 103mhz, it was as smooth as single-player, but of course taking into account that on multiplayer there's a lot going on, and player constantly entering and leaving the server.

Was quite an odd but interesting discovery. Today was the third day I was finally able to fly on multiplayer 1.5.3 without any issues anymore and enjoying DCS again.

Hope this might give others some insight.

Cheers

"Flying is a great equalizer. The plane doesn't know or care about your gender as a pilot, nor do the ground troops who need your support. You just have to perform. That's all anyone cares about when you're up there - that you can do your job, and that you do it exceptionally well." :pilotfly:

Specs: i5 3570K OC 4.3ghz. 16gb ram 1800mhz, GTX 980, track IR 5 pro, TM Hotas X, Saitek combat pedals, W10 64-bit updated from W7

DCS on Samsung SSD 850 Evo