Rockets radius improvement mod

dimitriov

Hi guys :)

First of all : This mod preserves the gameplay, it is absolutely not a "God Mod", just an intent to make rockets a bit more efficient, mostly against non armored units.

Here is the mod (JSGME compatible)

http://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=137051&d=1458762002

I'm working on a little mod (not integrity check compatible, unless the host may use it).

This mod enhances the explosion damages radius for the Rockets. Here is the situation. After 2000 h on Kamov, I often went in situations where I fired a S-8OFP-2 pair (High explosive and fragmentation rocket, 80 mm) at for example, an Hummvee. The pair hits the ground 3 m from the Hummvee. The Hummvee is fine. I too often met this situation : I make a direct hit on a T-55-72-80-90 tank with my S-8KOM pair on its side or rear (tested several times). It doesn't kill it.

So I went in the .lua files...

Are improved :

Bombs :

All non penetrating (HE) bombs, like Mk-82-84, FAB-100-250 etc etc etc...

In case of hit on the ground : factor is of 2.5. (using the Erp chosen values).

In case of direct hit on the vehicle : factor is 1.5

Rockets :

- S-5 rockets

- S-8 OFP-2 Rockets

- S-13 Rockets

- Hydra HE Rockets (frag, not anti-tank)

Damage radius in case of hit on the ground increased by 3.

Damage radius in case of direct hit increased by 1.5

For S-5 : Damage radius in case of hit on the ground increased by 1.5, and no change in case of direct hit.

- S-24 Rockets

Damage radius in case of hit on the ground increased by 1.5.

- S-8 KOM Rockets

- Hydra 70 HE Anti-tank Rockets

Damages in case of penetration increased by 5

Damages in case of hit on the ground increased by 1.5 (should not change a lot of thing, but just make a rocket kill a soldier when hit 1 m from him ;) )

Penetration value for S-8 KOM Rocket upgraded from 300 mm to 400 mm.

Testing : I tried stock and modded versions of the OFP-2 and S-13 like this :

A 20 Btr-80 column. Attacking by diving from 1000 meters high. Fire between 2 and 2.5 km. All the rockets hit the column and the road. All rockets are fired (40 OFP-2, 10 S-13)

- OFP-2 stock version : 3 vehicles at first try. 4 at second try.

- S-13 stock version : 2 vehicles at first try. 3 vehicles on the second.

Look at me in the eyes and tell me that you would do a lot better ;)

- OFP-2 modded version : 8 vehicles at first try. 10 at second try.

- S-13 modded version : same as before, not enough rockets to make a real difference.

For the S-8 KOM version, i tested like this :

Manage a direct pair hit in an M-1 Abrams side. (hull, not turret).

- Stock S-8 Rockets : the vehicle will need 2 pairs on the same place to get destroyed. I am not an expert, but as long as S-8 KOM were designed to destroy such vehicle, it seems a little too much.

- Modded rockets : 1 will be enough. You have to manage a hit on a soft part (side or rear), turret, of front of the tank will bring to the same 40% damages.

For the curious. Here is the tip : find your weapons.lua file in DCS/COnfig/Warheads.lua.

You will find this kind of text :

(stock s-8KOM)

warheads["C_8"] = -- С-8КОМ shaped-charge, fragmented

{

l1 mass = 3.0,

l2 expl_mass = 0.855, -- Warhead 3 kg, explosive 0.855 kg + fragments bonus

l3 other_factors = { 1.0, 0.5, 0.5 },

l4 concrete_factors = { 1.0, 0.5, 0.1 },

l5 concrete_obj_factor = 0.0,

l6 obj_factors = { 1.0, 1.0 },

l7 cumulative_factor= 3.0,

l8 cumulative_thickness = 0.3

};

l1 is the warhead mass, independant from the explosive mass.

l2 is the explosive mass, we could call it "explosive power".

l3 is the explosion "radius" with x=explosion on ground y=explosion on unit z=explosion on... I don't remember...

l4 is the same for concrete.

l5 deals with concrete but I didn't understand.

l6 is I don't remember.

l7 is a coefficient of cumulative effects (Cumulative*explosive mass).

l8 is the max thickness to have the cumulative thickness.

For the modded S-8KOM for example, we have this :

warheads["C_8"] = -- С-8КОМ shaped-charge, fragmented

{

mass = 3.0,

expl_mass = 0.855, -- Warhead 3 kg, explosive 0.855 kg + fragments bonus

other_factors = { 1.0, 0.5, 0.5 },

concrete_factors = { 1.0, 0.5, 0.1 },

concrete_obj_factor = 0.0,

obj_factors = { 1.0, 1.0 },

cumulative_factor= 15.0,

cumulative_thickness = 0.4

};

The stock S-8OFP2 :

warheads["C_8OFP2"] = -- C-8OFP HE

{

mass = 9.2,

expl_mass = 9.2, -- Warhead 9,2 kg, explosive 2.7 kg + fragments bonus

other_factors = { 1.0, 1.0, 1.0 },

concrete_factors = { 1.0, 1.0, 0.1 },

obj_factors = { 0.3, 1.0 },

cumulative_factor= 0.0,

cumulative_thickness = 0.0

};

The modded one :

warheads["C_8OFP2"] = -- C-8OFP HE

{

mass = 9.2,

expl_mass = 9.2, -- Warhead 9,2 kg, explosive 2.7 kg + fragments bonus

other_factors = { 3.0, 1.0, 1.0 },

concrete_factors = { 1.0, 1.0, 0.1 },

obj_factors = { 0.3, 1.0 },

cumulative_factor= 0.0,

cumulative_thickness = 0.0

};

FOr the bombs, ED uses functions (simple_warhead), findable at the beginning of the .lua, its presentation is the same than for the rockets, so you may modify it like them.

And that's all !

Have nice flights ;)

Nicolas

Bombs-Rockets overhaul-Version-finale.zip

Edited by dimitriov

this directly shows how bad we need a revamp damage model of ground vehicles, its to holy wood at the moment we desperately need mobility and firepower kills not just the catastrophic kill.

As far as your mod i always felt the russian rockets are fine its on the Us side that the rockets seem very under powered. My recommendation would be to tweak those also. But to be honest A rocket landing 20m away from my hummvee wont make it blow up, may cause a mobility kill due to schrapnel but their lies the problem and need for this to be added to the sim. Fragmentation damage and Revamp of damage model.

Thanks for the work will try when i get home, please can you do same for US rockets.

Edited by Enduro14

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

For the bombs, like Mk-82, Gbu etc, the way of codding isn't the same. There is only this kind of line :

warheads["FAB_100"] = simple_warhead(100.0); -- Explosive 45 kg + fragments bonus

Then the function simple_warhead, which is called in this line, is the following :

function simple_warhead(power, caliber)

local res = {};

res.caliber = caliber

res.expl_mass = power*explosivePercent; --new explosion damage effect (explosive + fragments)

res.mass = res.expl_mass;

res.other_factors = {1, 1, 1};

res.obj_factors = {1, 1};

res.concrete_factors = {1, 1, 1};

res.cumulative_factor = 0;

res.concrete_obj_factor = 0.0;

res.cumulative_thickness = 0.0;

So here is the issue :

I can modify the function itself, and, for example, double or triple the damage radius. But it will do it for all the bombs using it, not only the worst ones, like the Mk-82, or the FAB-250, which are IMO useless if you don't make an exact shot. So it's up to you to tell me if I do it or not, as long as other more powerful bombs will be enhanced too. Mig-21 of my team asked me to improve the FAB-250 too, but I don't know the bomb explosion radius IRL, so I cannot really say if the result may be fair or not.

15 meters from a Hmmvee to obtain destruction with a Mk-82 and FAB-250 is a correct approximation ?

Do not forget that in DCS, a damaged vehicle will work perfectly. So if the bomb is supposed to destroy wheels and the crew from 15 meters, it sounds fair to make a complete destruction in the game.

For the US Rockets, I will make the exact same modification than for the Russian ones. You will have to test by yourself, and telle me if it's abusive or not. I do not have an A-10C, and no, I will never, never, never put US gear on my beautiful red star Kamov-50 :p

Nicolas

Edited by dimitriov

There is already a bomb mod - which does a good job - it increases the he effects by a factor (2.4 in the mod) for all weapons that uses he - and if you take a mk84 for example, which is capable to create a crater of 15m wide and 11m deep... So it should possible to immobilize a tank in this area... The vanilla mk84 in dcs is more like a fire cracker. With the mod it does what it should

Just saw it.

The way it was made is not the same than me. The idea for me is to increase the blast radius when the bomb misses its target. IMO, if you launch a bomb directly on a vehicle, it may absorb an important part of the energy, so the blast may be lighter. The Erp mod increases the explosive mass by 2.5, so the explosion is more important whatever the situation.

So here is the new version. Are improved :

Bombs :

All non penetrating (HE) bombs, like Mk-82-84, FAB-100-250 etc etc etc...

In case of hit on the ground : factor is of 2.5. (using the Erp chosen values).

In case of direct hit on the vehicle : factor is 1.5

Rockets :

- S-5 rockets

- S-8 OFP-2 Rockets

- S-13 Rockets

- Hydra HE Rockets (frag, not anti-tank)

Damage radius in case of hit on the ground increased by 3.

Damage radius in case of direct hit increased by 1.5

For S-5 : Damage radius in case of hit on the ground increased by 1.5, and no change in case of direct hit.

- S-24 Rockets

Damage radius in case of hit on the ground increased by 1.5.

- S-8 KOM Rockets

- Hydra 70 HE Anti-tank Rockets

Damages in case of penetration increased by 2.5

Damages in case of hit on the ground increased by 1.5 (should not change a lot of thing, but just make a rocket kill a soldier when hit 1 m from him ;) )

Penetration value for S-8 KOM Rocket upgraded from 300 mm to 400 mm.

http://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=135418&stc=1&d=1456328090

First page updated.

Bombs-Rockets overhaul.zip

Edited by dimitriov

I am now working on a script (which was produced by a member of the community, if it works I will contact him), to allow suppressive effects due by explosions for light armored vehicles.

The last step may be to make the AI flee in case of heavy losses in its group. But my lua knowledge is quite bad, so I may need help.

I guess yes, as long as folders are the same. Try it and tell me.

A new version is on work, it will allow a one shot destruction in case of S-8/Hydra penetration of a heavy armored tank.

The reason is that after having discussed about it on several forums, it appears that a rocket which penetrates a tank will disable it, by a way or another (killing the crew, cause fire and destruction of several components etc). As long as DCS doesn't feature such detail, complete destruction of the tank is the only way of rendering it.

Edited by dimitriov

Attached is the new S8KOM and Hydra anti-tank version.

If someone could try it and tell me if it is able to one shot a tank when hitting on the rear or the side, thank you ;)

It mustn't be able to do the same when hitting on the front part of the tank.

1 rocket only for the test. Put the tank in the same coalition than you so you can shoot from 20 m and be accurate.

Next step of the mod will be to find and work on the 30 mm API rounds effectiveness.

Nicolas

warheads.lua

Edited by dimitriov

my preliminary testing has resulted in very good results so far, granted ive only gone after a t-55 tank i do get single hit kills from rear aspect engagement. Also did not get one round kills from front aspect engagements.

Will test further but its definately the route to go, good job!

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

For reference, the FAB-250 should have a lethal radius against lightly armoured targets of around 30m for impact fuzing (as simulated in DCS), and around 100m for soft skinned targets. I would assume the Mk82 is similar in its power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"The only replacement for a Buccaneer is a Buccaneer".