More Callsigns

Gr00v3r

Holy flip that's a lot of callsigns, in DCS I'd at least like the NATO phonetic alphabet being used for callsigns, then add some more real world callsigns - heck even adding the callsigns in SF2 would suffice

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

There are a number of callsigns that will work for multiple USAF aircraft, such as Cowboy, Vegas, Reaper, etc. I wouldn't mind having some Navy/Marine callsigns either: "Victory" for the Jolly Rogers (VF-84/103), Ghostrider, and Liner (VFA-81 Sunliners).

Some callsigns that work for USN and USAF include Dog, Diamond, Eagle, Falcon, Jedi, Lancer, Lion, Outlaw, Stinger and Viking.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to come back to this topic because we just talked about it in another thread. (this one, in case you are interested: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=160092 )

With the upcoming new Navy planes and planes from other countries than the US this will probably become more important this year.

Although I don't have any official confirmation about it I assume that one of the main reasons for ED not to include more callsigns has been the problem of voice acting.

For each callsign added you would have to record that name for every voice in the sim, which is a lot of work and might also be a problem if a voice actor is not available anymore.

So several possible solutions were already suggested in this thread and in earlier ones, including re-doing all the voices, text-to-speech (TTS), and automatic NATO-alphabet spelling.

I'd like talk about their pros and cons and how the soultions may look like, so we can help ED with the decision what to do and how it could look like.

Adding more real world options to the list

Pros:

- Those sound cool.

- implementation is already there.

Cons:

- Regardless of how many you add, some will be missing. We would need Air Force (several countries), Navy (several countries), helicopters (several countries), generic NATO, JTAC, WW2 from different countries, perhaps civil ones and so on. So add only a few generic international ones.

- voice recording needed for every single voice in the sim (see above)

TTS:

Cons:

- It may sound weird

- Will not fit to the older voices.

- In MP it could also mean abusive callsigns, which may be a problem for some people.

- not as simple to code for ED, compared to the other solutions

Pros:

- you can do pretty much everything with it.

NATO-alphabet spelling:

Cons:

- Used in real world for civil planes only AFAIK

- some of those don't sound cool of course.

- mild danger of misuse ("foxtrot uniform charlie kilo 1 1")

Pros:

- All the voice lines are already recorded, nothing to do here.

- implementation in the ME would either look like the russian one we have right now, just a text input. Ingame the voice will just read the single digits and letters. OR we would use the dropdown box and the NATO alphabet letters would be added to choose from. I would prefer the first way because that would allow civil call signs like "N3794N" or "D-ENTE".

So what do you think?

• 1 year later...

+ 1

CPU: i7 980x @ 4.2GHz RAM: 24gb Corsair Vengeance

MB: Gigabyte Sniper X58 w/onboard Soundblaster X-Fi

HD: SanDisk 480gb SSD OS: Win7 Pro 64bit

VIDEO CARD: EVGA GTX 980ti FTW

MONITOR: LG 34" Ultrawide 2560x1080

MP SERVER: ibuypower i7-4810MQ w/Win7 Home 64bit

GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset

It would be nice to have more 'International' callsigns, too. That means using alpha-numeric systems. This shouldn't be difficult to implement and would open up a huge array of possibilities for mission designers and players.

Also, in WWII in the RAF, flights very often used colours - the famous "Red two to red leader" etc etc like you see and hear in the Battle of Britain, Angels One-Five and dozens of other films.

Aginor, I don't know what you mean by "NATO - alphabet spelling" never heard of it - but the international phonetic alphabet (alpha, bravo, charlie, etc) is extensively used in every military service I ever came across.

Edited by Brixmis
  • Like 1

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

• 3 years later...

yes but you want but you also have to give information I don't see the list of Russian names where is it? only the American ones.

I also agree on adding more names but they change from country to country. therefore their pronunciation also changes. the sound of the nominative is different.

this is the list of Italian names.

listi of italian collsign:

2° Gruppo - LYRA
8° Gruppo - LASER
9° Gruppo - DARDO
10° Gruppo - PICCA
12° Gruppo - STRALE
13° Gruppo - FALCO
14° Gruppo - NIBBIO
18° Gruppo - BRANDY
20° Gruppo - LEO
23° Gruppo - VELTRO
50° Gruppo - VEGA
71° Gruppo - PERSEO
81° Gruppo - GRANNY
82° Gruppo - PALMA
83° Gruppo - LORD
84° Gruppo - DUFFY
85° Gruppo - LEONE
86° Gruppo - SPADA
88° Gruppo - DAGA
98° Gruppo - LUPO
101° Gruppo - LAMPO
102° Gruppo - LUCE
103° Gruppo - GUIZZO
132° Gruppo - GRAPPA
154° Gruppo - FRECCIA
155° Gruppo - PANTE
156° Gruppo - LINCE
207° Gruppo - BRUNO
208° Gruppo - SAMBA
212° Gruppo - BIANCO
213° Gruppo - VERDE
311° Gruppo - SPERA
313° Gruppo - PONY (Frecce Tricolori)
604^ Squadriglia - SEAGULLS
605^ Squadriglia - SAETTA
606^ Squadriglia - DIAVOLO
609^ Squadriglia - JOLLY
632^ Squadriglia - FENICE
636^ Squadriglia - MARTE
637^ Squadriglia - GHOST
650^ Squadriglia - GLADIO
651^ Squadriglia - BOXER
670^ Squadriglia - SPEEDY
Squadriglia Linate - MONTE
Sq.Perdasdefogu - VERRO
510° Fighter Sqdn - BUZZARD (F16 Aviano)
555° Fighter Sqdn - NICKEL (F16 Aviano)
BCO5 - GARGOYLE
GRUPAER - WOLF
Nave Garibaldi - KING
GRUPELICOT1 - COSTA(antisom-antinave)/SHARK
GRUPELICOT2 - PRORA
GRUPELICOT3 - GANCIO
GRUPELICOT4 - RANDA(antisom-antinave)/PANTERA
GRUPELICOT5 - BITTA(antisom-antinave)/GUNNY
1AVES - NUBE
Carabinieri - FIAMMA
Guardia di Finanza - VOLPE(elicotteri)/GRIFO(aerei)
Guardia Costiera - KOALA(elicotteri)/ORCA(aerei)
Polizia - POLI
Pompieri - DRAGO

• Like 2

+1 - especially with bigger missions and the game itself scaling up, it'd be nice to have a wider vocabulary.  Some like the A-10 ones are aircraft specific, maybe something that 3rd party developers could/should be doing to package with their aircraft?  Not sure myself how easy/difficult it is to create and integrate but defo possible, especially if there's an ATC overhaul coming in the pipeline.

System

Monitor: RoG SWIFT PG349Q | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme | CPU: Intel Core i7-3970X | RAM: 16GB Corsair CMT8GX3M2B2133C9 | GPU: RoG STRIX GeForce 1080Ti | SSD: Crucial MX500 500GB | HDD: 2x 1TB WD 10k Velociraptor (RAID0)

Modules

DCS World: | BS2 | A10C | CA | UH1 | Mi8 | FC3 | HT1 | L39 | SA342 | F5E | M2K | NTTR | AJS37 | AV8B | F18 | PG | C101 | F16 | SC | A4E | MB339 | Falcon 4: BMS | FSX:SE

I wonder why this hasn't been wished for before...

oh wait:

And that's just a quick search through the past few years.

Sorry... I don't want to be a #!$& guys, but what's the point of making yet another new thread about this?

We all know ED is working on better ATC.

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

The squeaky wheel gets the grease, that’s why. I’m not sure that new ATC has anything to do with Callsign availability in ME. 

And it seems ED is finally listening, the A-10 added Tusk, Hog, Boar call signs. Now they need to do it for the rest of the aircraft 

i9-9900k, Asus ROG Strix Z390-3, 32GB DDR4-3000, MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 2TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD| Reverb G2| Custom Simpit- A variety of grips (TM/Virpil) on floor mounted TM Base, WinWing Super Tauris Throttles, Virpil Collective, TM Pedals, TM MFDs

Paid Module Wishlist: AH-64A, T-38, B-1B, U-2, MH-60 Pavehawk, A-10A

Map Wishlist: NAS Oceana (w/Norfolk and Expansive Ocean), Korea (Modern), Cuba, Columbia

Ai Wishlist: Ships, SOF infantry, SOF Vehicles, AH/MH-6, P8, 

2 minutes ago, JFO82 said:

The squeaky wheel gets the grease, that’s why. I’m not sure that new ATC has anything to do with Callsign availability in ME. 

And it seems ED is finally listening, the A-10 added Tusk, Hog, Boar call signs. Now they need to do it for the rest of the aircraft 

Well I assume that new/more callsigns will eventually be part of the ATC upgrade as callsigns are a part of air traffic control.

But hey, don't understand me wrong here (judging by the ":blink:" emoji's below my post, some of you do), I fully agree we need more callsigns. Heck I even posted an extended callsign.pdf file in one of the threads I referred to.

I'm just saying we don't need a new thread for this each month..

• Like 1

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

I think it is difficult for DCS to add all those callsigns to the list.

it would take a shortcut to simplify things maybe it would take a simple sampling of the voice that takes about 10 seconds to record your own callsign only 10 sec of vocal sampling.