Will the F-14B that Leatherneck is working on have a LANTIRN pod?

Blitz262

I was hoping this would happen ever since I figured out that the F-14B could carry a LANTIRN pod, so I was wondering if that will be implemented in-game, and if you guys think it should be implemented.

We don't know. Next Tomcat update is expected in March.

"The exact sensor package and ordinance available is yet to be decided. It is possible that we will expand the available ordinance or equipment after release to encompass more of the F-14’s later capability."

Specs:

Fractal Design Define R5 Black, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E, Intel Core i5-8600K Coffee Lake @ 5.1 GHz, MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB 352-Bit GDDR5X, Corsair H110i, G.Skill TridentZ 32GB (2x16GB), Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB SSD

VF-103 Clubleaf213 [ATTACH]135380[/ATTACH]

The question is not if the F-14B could carry the LANTIRN pod, it's whether or not the version modeled will be one of the one's upgraded to do so. A mid 90s F-14B, which is how LN has described it, is right on the cusp of introducing the pod, which could mean they could go either way. As of right now, the only thing we're certain of in terms of sensors, is the TCS and the AN/AWG-9 radar, any additionals are completely up in the air at the moment.

But why would they want to hang clergymen from the hardpoints? :P

For those who don't know - ordinance is something like a bishop (something religous, anyway). It's called ordnance :smartass:

Actually, you're in good company - I distinctly remember Valve having a sign in Half Life saying "Ordinance depot"! :megalol:

Someone says it wrong (whether English speaking or not is irrelevant) and then the Chinese whispers start and before you know it, everyone is calling it 'ordinance' and some Bishops are feeling a little underwhelmed (cos I bet they all fly in DCS World, too!- Yay! Crusades in a Tomcat!)

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

I think the fact that LN is making a mid 90's F-14B shows that they are at least considering the LANTIRN. LN could have announced an earlier version since the F-14B was introduced in the late 80's, early 90's. By going with the mid 90's F-14B, they have the option of having the LANTIRN at release or adding it with future upgrades.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

I'm hoping it doesn't carry the LANTIRN in the initial release, because that one aspect could fund extra develop and attention. I love the bombing capability of the F-14, but it should be a pure Air to Air beast where we can explore its potential and realize its awesomeness in this aspect. The mid 1990s F-14B didn't have the burner restrictions and its a mature platform by that time- Only thing better was an F-14D. Give me an accurate AWG-9 package with accurate AIM-7/AIIM-54 parameters when coupled with the AWG-9.

• Like 1

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

https://www.csg-1.com/

DCS F-14 Pilot/RIO Discord:

https://discord.gg/6bbthxk

I'm hoping it doesn't carry the LANTIRN in the initial release, because that one aspect could fund extra develop and attention. I love the bombing capability of the F-14, but it should be a pure Air to Air beast where we can explore its potential and realize its awesomeness in this aspect. The mid 1990s F-14B didn't have the burner restrictions and its a mature platform by that time- Only thing better was an F-14D. Give me an accurate AWG-9 package with accurate AIM-7/AIIM-54 parameters when coupled with the AWG-9.

I think they are going to release the F-14A first, which is all Air-to-Air, and then the F-14B later down the road.

Or did you mean that you want the F-14B, when released, to not come with LANTIRN?

Frisco1522

200_s.gif

The day Microtransactions for aircraft capability comes to DCS, I'm out and will boycott any company supporting such a scummy finance scheme.

Edited by Tirak

200_s.gif

The day Microtransactions for aircraft capability comes to DCS, I'm out and will boycott any company supporting such a scummy finance scheme.

Ah man, you must HATE Porsche....;)

I think they are going to release the F-14A first, which is all Air-to-Air, and then the F-14B later down the road.

Or did you mean that you want the F-14B, when released, to not come with LANTIRN?

Frisco1522

I also think the F-14A would be best first, followed by the B. It seems to be the simplest logistically since there are no avionics or features, save for the F110 engines, that are present on the A, but not the B. Also, it would not make a good first impression for the F-14A if people try it out after the F-14B. It's hard to go from one aircraft to it's less powerful and less capable twin. But there may be factors that compel LNS to do things the other way around. All of their external shots thus far are of the F-14B (except for 2-3 shots in their 5/15 update).

I can't see a reason to deliberately withhold a LANTIRN feature if available. I could easily see it being delayed for development or LNS deciding that they want their F-14B to represent an earlier F-14B, if that is their vision. The presence of the LITENING pod on the A-10C implies that developing LANTIRN is feasible, but if LNS needs to develop it from the ground up (like they did with ground radar in the Viggen) it will probably take some time.

-Nick

Ah man, you must HATE Porsche....

"You just spent 60 dollars on the module, now spend another 5 dollars to unlock the TGP! Want Sidewinder support, that'll be just 3.99!"

If that happens, I'm out, and it boggles my mind that anyone would come out and hope for that to happen.

"You just spent 60 dollars on the module, now spend another 5 dollars to unlock the TGP! Want Sidewinder support, that'll be just 3.99!"

If that happens, I'm out, and it boggles my mind that anyone would come out and hope for that to happen.

It's the same reason I don't like Porsches (new ones at least, along with electric steering, and DCT/PDK on all but the base cars - but I digress...). :)

I doubt that LNS would do that. The only reasonable situation where you have to buy LANTIRN capability might be with a separate F-14B Upgrade module that includes a new cockpit for the RIO MFD, DFCS, and LANTIRN.

But I wouldn't loose sleep over it, a developer that plans free maps with it's module is unlikely to start charging extra for sensors and ordnance. At least thats my thought.

-Nick

for some of us no price is too high for those we love

for some of us no price is too high for those we love

Then please explain to all of us plebeians why you haven't gone to Iran and offered them a sufficient amount of money for them to sell you one of their F-14s. :doh:

It would be anti consumer bullshittery of the highest level, and anyone supporting policies like paying to activate systems already on the plane that you already payed full price for, frankly needs their head examined.

• Like 1

It would be anti consumer bullshittery of the highest level, and anyone supporting policies like paying to activate systems already on the plane that you already payed full price for, frankly needs their head examined.

Tirak, why so worked-up over something thats not happening?

No one with ED or any Third party has presented any scheme remotely like this - just TurkeyDriver's opinion (which he is certainly free to share without having his head examined).

Anyway...it would be nice to have LANTIRN on the F-14B. :thumbup:

-Nick

Clearly my comments were nuked. The F-14B backseat changes when you add the LANTIRN. Also reality by that time made the F-14B mostly a bomber. You have a permanent 1000lb LANTIRN pod on one side permanently(cannot jettison IIRC, only remove post flight). I want the F-14A+/F-14B strictly first as a fighter-of course that just means that all the engine management you learned with the F-14A is not needed and you can get longer legs on your flight depending on your fuel management. The F-14A is lighter than the F-14B, so when youre at fighting speed down low, you shouldn't have a problem beating one. If a LANTIRN is added, and supported, it should be to both models, not specific to the F-14B. The "Bombcat" upgrade that the F-14B received was in the very late 90s and resulted in significant cockpit changes. The backseat displays will be different and there will be an actual HUD. To clarify, I dodnt want the bombcat upgrade specific to the F-14B. If we get LANTIRN, it should be to both the F-14A and F-14B, but don't DELAY the release to implement these.

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

https://www.csg-1.com/

DCS F-14 Pilot/RIO Discord:

https://discord.gg/6bbthxk