Upcoming RDI Radar changes

Zeus67

-This is a country interogation or frequences interogation?

- I think this is a faction interrogation as opposed to an IFF frequency interrogation (like the real ones). I am thinking of ways to enable one, but that will require ED's support.

To build up on Zeus'answer: to have an IFF frequency interrogation (like the real ones) would require that:

- all players/clients aircraft have a way to set their own IFF answer (on/off, which mode, which code)

- all AI aircraft have a way to do so too; automatically? how to set the coalition codes? how to avoid 2 aircraft selecting the same code? what if a player chooses the same code as an AI? ... etc.

- a way to circumvent RL incompatibility is found and implemented; e.g. a real Su-27S has no IFF compatible for being interrogated by a Mirage (and vice-versa); what if the mission maker want both to work together as a coalition?

In short: not easy, big feature to implement across DCS... Interesting, sure, but not "urgent" vs other things IMO. In the meantime, sticking with the current "coalition IFF" seems reasonnable.

could we get a list of what symbology goes with what faction?

Diamond: positive IFF answer

Nothing: no IFF answer

++

Az'

spacer.png

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Folks,

Due to me forgetting that today is update day, I did not update the manual with the radar IFF interrogation procedure.

Here's a instruction sheet in how to accomplish that.

1. This is the RDI radar IFF interrogation panel. It is located between the ISN and the RWR control panel

Radar_IFF_zpsavtjdk3x.png

To enable the IFF interrogation you must click the Interrogation Mode switch to either SECT or CONT. There is a bug in the panel that does not show CONT, but the switch will move.

There are new key bindings (untested) for this switch:

"Radar IFF OFF"

"Radar IFF SECTOR"

"Radar IFF CONT"

Look for them in Sensors.

No need to use the other switches. At least for the time being.

Note: The panel is too dark and the switch is almost invisible, at least for me. You will have to hunt for it with your mouse. We will solve that particular problem in the future.

To interrogate the contacts you must use the same key that is used to activate the Nose Wheel Steering. The default is "S".

The IFF works by being active. That is, only friendly contacts will show a symbol. Unknown contacts will not.

There are two main symbols:

* A diamond for unlocked contacts that will appear on the upper left of the V symbol.

* A ||V|| or |H| for locked contacts. If you see a locked contact with a double pair of vertical lines, you are targeting a friendly.

Currently the symbols remain for 30 seconds, basically since this is a test. The visibility period will be modified.

The PRF limitation is not enabled for this version, but it will come.

Please pass the word on the instructions.

Enjoy

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

I love you guys =).

You are so quick in your work and very transparent.

You always keep the Community up to date.

Which is something most devs dont.

You guys are quickly becomming the NR1 Third party dev in my eyes and i cant wait for the future work on the M-2000 aswell as ur future models.

Thank you for your awesome support and making this by far my favorite module! Your guys way of being apart of the community and constantly talking and showing us your work is very much appreciated. I look forward to more modules from you guys!

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

Any chance those IFF settings were already sent to ED for testing?

No time. They were finished last night and the update is today.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Folks, a word of caution on the radar.

Now there is a warm-up period enabled. If you start the aircraft on the ramp or in the runway, you will have to do the warm-up. There is no warm-up period only if the aircraft starts in the air.

If you use the P.CH option (Warm-Up) the period will be 2 minutes long.

If you bypass it and go to either SIL (Standby) or EM (Emission) the period will be 3 minutes long. A small "fine" for bypassing the warm-up.

The letter P should appear when in warm-up. Unfortunately I have not tested its functionality before the update. If you have the radar in EM and it is not working, you can test if it is in warm-up by checking the antenna azimuth indicator. It will only move when the warm-up period has ended and the radar is now ready to work.

Note: The P.CH mode is bugged. It seems that placing the switch in P.CH does nothing. You will have to put it in SIL or EM for the warm-up period to start. Of course, this means that now you have to wait 3 minutes for the radar to become operational.

Edited by Zeus67
Adding a clarification.

Thank you for your hard work, the Mirage is shaping to a must in the DCS module library. Hopefully the IFF will be introduced next week then.

If you bypass it and go to either SIL (Standby) or EM (Emission) the period will be 3 minutes long. A small "fine" for bypassing the warm-up.

The letter P should appear when in warm-up. Unfortunately I have not tested its functionality before the update. If you have the radar in EM and it is not working, you can test if it is in warm-up by checking the antenna azimuth indicator. It will only move when the warm-up period has ended and the radar is now ready to work.

Fair enough, sounds perfect.

Edited by Jarama

Thank you for your hard work, the Mirage is shaping to a must in the DCS module library. Hopefully the IFF will be introduced next week then.

The IFF is being introduced in today's 2.0.1 update.

Even better, i think i misunderstood the :

Thanks Zeus67 :thumbup:

I was replying a question about if the changes were sent to ED's beta testers. There was no time to do that. So you are getting them "raw". :smilewink:

Folks, a word of caution on the radar.

Now there is a warm-up period enabled. If you start the aircraft on the ramp or in the runway, you will have to do the warm-up. There is no warm-up period only if the aircraft starts in the air.

Im assuming you can do the Warm-up when airborne.

And that you dont have to wait for the warm-up before taking off.

And also will Radar Slewing be incorporated at the same time as the IFF or is that still on the to-do list?.

Im assuming you can do the Warm-up when airborne.

And that you dont have to wait for the warm-up before taking off.

And also will Radar Slewing be incorporated at the same time as the IFF or is that still on the to-do list?.

The warm-up can be done anytime, anywhere. Just remember that you will be without radar for 2 minutes.

Unfortunately no, radar slewing will be next after IFF.

The warm-up can be done anytime, anywhere. Just remember that you will be without radar for 2 minutes.

Unfortunately no, radar slewing will be next after IFF.

Ok.

And Thanks so much for updating the Community as much as you do.

And im looking forward to every update you guys make.

I have never for a Second Doubted you guys or regreted buying the M-2000.

And this is probably the only 3rd party module i can say that about.

Edited by mattebubben

I have never for a Second Doubted you guys or regreted buying the M-2000.

And this is probably the only 3rd party module i can say that about.

I agree, RAZBAM have set a new bar with respect to communication and how quickly features/fixes are implemented! :thumbup:

Keep it up and please do the F-15E ASAP :joystick: ;)

I was replying a question about if the changes were sent to ED's beta testers. There was no time to do that. So you are getting them "raw". :smilewink:

well, I guess that next week update will see even more than IFF :D

Thanks guys not only for this amazing mod but for your responsiveness and communication.

You are the only 3rd party dev who really combined: Great mod and communication.