Battleships Bismark.

Markindel

I think you'd have to approach it as a bomb load somehow. Define a new weapon along the lines of a cluster bomb type thing and have the bomblets be the pilot EDM shape and zero warhead strength or something. Lot of mucking about though without being certain it's doable from our end with the info we have at present. I suppose if you could spawn a pilot shape in a chute by script then you could probably do something like the bombing script to spawn "parachutists". Be nice to be able to air drop supplies too as was done I believe in the latter half of the war. <edit> actually I was not thinking straight. Just a normal bomb would do with zero or say 100kg weight and no warhead then define shape as pilot & chute. But that would be the trick as I imagine the animation of the pilot bailing out is tied to an argument in the model or a generic DCS thing and triggered by action of bailing out and you would need to simulate that for each bomb.

Edited by Stonehouse

The Ju 52 3d model looks ok but the texture is off (courugated metal were it shouldn't be). Also I think that in some areas the model shows edgy polygons similar to what the He-111 initially had.

For a mod it's totally acceptable though.

You're right, but for now it's just a static object

• Like 1

Just an update on the bombing over 2000m thing. Over the weekend I did some checks and Friday evening I could bomb from any height with the B29 but the B17 just refused to co-operate. Yesterday evening I had the B17, G4M, He111 and PBY all bombing from 5000m without much trouble but the B29 just turned away. So I think it is working for the mod aircraft but is just very picky. It probably means something is not quite right with them so that the band of "right" conditions for bombing is narrower than for a stock aircraft like the B52. I will keep looking at it on and off particularly as the next mod aircraft is going to be the Ju88 going by Markindel's post up a few. So I will do some reviews while looking at the same sort of setups. I know for instance that getting the pylons in not quite the right position in the lua will cause the refusal to bomb so I can review the co-ords of the racks again. I also have found a better site for B17 info and can see some of the speeds in the current release are a bit out as well. Also all the mods (except the B29 and DC3) need the wingtip co-ords fixed up for contrail effects to work properly.

Just tried the DC-3, and I want to say that is a great mod! Plane fly nicely, and is cool to intercept it, specially while flying low. Will be great to try to shoot it down or to protect it with the Razbam Tucano. The damage model is well done too, and is cool to see the pilots jumping out of the plane once the plane is doomed.

Well done Markindel, rep to you!

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

We are working to make controllable the DC3 using its cockpit.

The work is just beginning and will be very long.

Surely we would need to seek advice from experienced users.

Here is a first test:

HOLY COW! Now we're talking!

While you are at it, would you consider to make a documentation/guide how that actually works with the cockpit instruments and so on?

I don't know if such a thing exists already in some comprehensive form. If it doesn't this would be the perfect opportunity. I am sure there are some guys new to DCSW modding who would be very grateful for that.

See here http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2844556&postcount=583

Note this is DOL's mod. There should be a Tu4 variant out pretty soon if I can get some time to finish the last couple of things. As the linked post says if you search this thread there are some updated lua's floating about. Also note that there seems to be an issue with bombing from above 2000m with the B29 but give it a go at higher altitudes as sometimes it works and sometimes not. Symptom of the issue is that when the aircraft reaches the waypoint the bombing advanced action is attached to it turns 180 deg and flies off into the blue yonder. Really also recommend lilkiki's fireobjects as the smoke plumes after a raid really add to the immersive feel.

hi all

i m trying to find the B29 model, but i dont find it .... only the skin pack :S

where the B29 is available ? (AI only, i m ok with that :P )

thanks

B-29.lua

Edited by Stonehouse
adding my latest lua to make it easier

See here http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2844556&postcount=583

Note this is DOL's mod. There should be a Tu4 variant out pretty soon if I can get some time to finish the last couple of things. As the linked post says if you search this thread there are some updated lua's floating about. Also note that there seems to be an issue with bombing from above 2000m with the B29 but give it a go at higher altitudes as sometimes it works and sometimes not. Symptom of the issue is that when the aircraft reaches the waypoint the bombing advanced action is attached to it turns 180 deg and flies off into the blue yonder. Really also recommend lilkiki's fireobjects as the smoke plumes after a raid really add to the immersive feel.

ok, thanks for this ;)

i will try

Small update on this. I was fiddling around testing the B29. For runway attacks (the actual waypoint task not the role) it works fine from above 2000m if you keep the flight path in line with the target - so if you have say 3 waypoints numbered 0,1,2 and the runway attack action is on waypoint 1 you need to keep the line between 0,1 and 2 straight with the target roughly on the flight path and that works with about 20kms run in from waypoint 1 to target. However for ground attack role and the bombing action I seem to be seeing a relationship between bombing altitude and the distance between bombing action and target of about 10+ to 1. IE same as above example. Waypoints 0,1,2 with a straight flight path again but this time the waypoints are at 8000m and the action is bombing with a ground attack role. The distance between waypoint 1 and the target triangle seems to need to be about 80kms or more and then it works. The aircraft still seems to twitch when it hits waypoint 1 with the action so I would be careful of too close a formation. Perhaps moving it to 15 times alt might stop the twitch too, don't know. Anyway if the attack order was at least 80km from target then the bombing seemed to work every time for 8000m.

I will cross post this over in mission building too.

Just an update on the bombing over 2000m thing. Over the weekend I did some checks and Friday evening I could bomb from any height with the B29 but the B17 just refused to co-operate. Yesterday evening I had the B17, G4M, He111 and PBY all bombing from 5000m without much trouble but the B29 just turned away. So I think it is working for the mod aircraft but is just very picky. It probably means something is not quite right with them so that the band of "right" conditions for bombing is narrower than for a stock aircraft like the B52. I will keep looking at it on and off particularly as the next mod aircraft is going to be the Ju88 going by Markindel's post up a few. So I will do some reviews while looking at the same sort of setups. I know for instance that getting the pylons in not quite the right position in the lua will cause the refusal to bomb so I can review the co-ords of the racks again. I also have found a better site for B17 info and can see some of the speeds in the current release are a bit out as well. Also all the mods (except the B29 and DC3) need the wingtip co-ords fixed up for contrail effects to work properly.

Edited by Stonehouse
  • Like 1

Hey guys, really looking forward to all the upcoming planes! Just a couple of things with the DC-3 though.

1st, I seem to get a distinct split between the two halves of the fuselage, it happens with all of the skins, some are more noticeable than others though.

Screen_160728_171823_zpsqnvkotkz.jpg

Screen_160728_171839_zpsi7lbgmim.jpg

Screen_160728_171844_zpsw2rntjby.jpg

2nd, in the dcs.log, it notes that there are some textures missing from the package;

00061.478 ERROR DX11BACKEND: texture "c47_fusoliera" not found

00061.493 ERROR DX11BACKEND: texture "c47_1_t" not found

00061.500 ERROR DX11BACKEND: texture "c47_1_t_bump" not found

00061.507 ERROR DX11BACKEND: texture "c47_1_t_spec" not found

00061.531 ERROR DX11BACKEND: texture "raf" not found

00061.537 ERROR DX11BACKEND: texture "dc3_bump" not found

I've checked and re-downloaded and re-checked the package in the DCS User Files Section and they're definitely not there.

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks guys,

I have noticed that some of your skins Eddie, namely the airliners are spot on.

We all really appreciate your efforts!

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Difficult to do some of those airline skins, the model is not exact in its proportions so lining up the paint jobs can take ages, and its often a compromise of some sort. I can never aspire to the quality of the in game models, my machine and software are ancient, like me !!

Sadly my Gaming PC wrapped its hand in yesterday and I'm off to build a new one, I was going to do that anyway in order to run Nevada better, just happened sooner than I intended.

I think you'd have to approach it as a bomb load somehow. Define a new weapon along the lines of a cluster bomb type thing and have the bomblets be the pilot EDM shape and zero warhead strength or something. Lot of mucking about though without being certain it's doable from our end with the info we have at present. I suppose if you could spawn a pilot shape in a chute by script then you could probably do something like the bombing script to spawn "parachutists". Be nice to be able to air drop supplies too as was done I believe in the latter half of the war. <edit> actually I was not thinking straight. Just a normal bomb would do with zero or say 100kg weight and no warhead then define shape as pilot & chute. But that would be the trick as I imagine the animation of the pilot bailing out is tied to an argument in the model or a generic DCS thing and triggered by action of bailing out and you would need to simulate that for each bomb.

I've been thinking something along the same lines, that we could have a new model for cargo drops and paratroopers, but that of course required a 3d model...

I'm pretty sure that the bailout call is tied to the 'death blow' of an entity in DCS as you can specify the pilot type for the bailout in any models lua file, but it's not tied to the actual model itself, only the object it calls. I've been rooting around with any and every lua I can think of trying to find out where the object spawn is called and haven't gotten anywhere yet, but I haven't given up yet!

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]