RomeoKilo's Pit

romeokilo

Nice living in a warm weather location! It looks awesome. My hats off to you!

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers lads.

I'm having problems getting Helios to work reliably nowadays. Guages are slow and stutter a lot and it crashes frequently.

I've moved to Icarus which seems better, although my Phidgets base caution panel is an issue. Helios is required to run it, and try as I might I can't get Icarus and Helios to run at the same time.

Odd. I am still running Helios and Phidget for the Caution panel. Well at least until I get a working Caution panel for DCS-BIOS ;)

Anyway the update to the ejection seat does look good as always RK :thumbup:

Cheers

Hans

• 2 weeks later...

Nearly at the point when I can start wiring.

Im going to finish the right hand console first, as it has the PSU as well as the dimmer circuit for all the panel backlights in it.

Before I start the wiring I finished the painting and external detail.

I added upholstery nails as rivets- although I think I'll add another line of them along the top edge.

I was planning on getting some decals made up but decided to try something else instead. I just laid out strips of masking tape on the laser bed, then cut my own stencils.

c264f43507899e3055ef2ecdca7f43b4.jpg

The results were better than expected!

I know the colours aren't A10 realistic, but I wanted to add more contrast to break it up a bit. I'm sick of the same shade of grey on everything.

I'll do the seat in the same darker shade as well.

e4e3f6e2a19ac110c0c67e74434fd61f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Edited by romeokilo

• 2 weeks later...

PSU and wiring for backlight, floodlights and I/O cards done.

Intent was to make my own replica grimes floodlights- It's on my list but I'll do it later on. I'm using cheap ebay 'motorbike number plate light posts' for now. Works well.

The emergency flood light switch works as well, bypassing the dimmer.

More detailed photos to come once I tidy up the wiring.

Excuse these ones- hard to photograph. 81d1abd25940bdc4186641e068e676a6.jpg03fd1a16dfc7e03a7755d3c4f791da0c.jpgbfc85fb2e15bc3c66b606770491f7763.jpg

Seat is getting its detail work before final paint.

Its not a replica so a bit of artistic license has been used in the rivet work.

Also- it's got an F16 style Flight Data Recorder on it. I'm aware the A10 doesn't have this- but it's there for a reason.

Plan is to conceal a wireless charging coil inside! I can hang my headphones on it and charge them!

Ignore the top part- the parachute container will cover it all anyway.

00451904b9e45e3829b7c1580af25bd0.jpg8a8cc1d6bfafc2f28717cc171ddd9a46.jpga384bbbcd37110f538b9a00eeb4419d1.jpg664611e4103ca9c3b7dad52bddab1f27.jpg436aa7039723d35a206ca36894efbce2.jpg

Edited by romeokilo

romeokilo

Do you use a Mean Well PSU and connect them to terminal blocks to power led?

Basically yes.

I'm using a Computer Power supply to run the whole pit. It's actually a quality one from my old gaming PC - Antec CP850.

It has four 12v rails- each can handle 25 amps.

All the PC cables were stripped, grouped into each colour, cut to length and end in terminal blocks.

Ill take some photos and add them here once the wiring has been tidied up- it's a mess at the moment and looking at it now will just confuse everyone!

Basically yes.

I'm using a Computer Power supply to run the whole pit. It's actually a quality one from my old gaming PC - Antec CP850.

It has four 12v rails- each can handle 25 amps.

All the PC cables were stripped, grouped into each colour, cut to length and end in terminal blocks.

Ill take some photos and add them here once the wiring has been tidied up- it's a mess at the moment and looking at it now will just confuse everyone!

Hi RomeoKilo,

I also wanted to go the PC PSU route.

But still guessing around to how many watts the PSU should be able to supply?

At the momement I am thinking 400w should be enough or not?

Thanks and cheers

Sven

I'm not really sure about the watts either...

I know mine is an 850 watt supply, which appears to be overkill for this but I had it laying around so why not.

I read the data sheet for it which showed me what the maximum amp on each rail is, which is all I was really interested in.

I made sure to keep each circuit well under the max.

Checking with a multimeter the backlight circuit for the entire right console draws under 8 amps at full brightness (which it will never be at), so well within limits. It's about half that at the brightness I will use.

The left console and MIP will draw less because they have less leds in them.

Nothing in the pit is really drawing much power, in fact most of my I/O cards actually get their 5V power via USB straight from the PC.

The only thing I was worried about was my electric seat rails, but turns out even they only draw about 7 amps with every motor moving at the same time (which will never actually happen anyway).

Having said all the above know this - I'm an amateur and am winging this...

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the same plans and im looking for a print shop to print them out. Is there a different program out there that opens the plans besides coreldraw that you know of?

WIN10-64 HOME Ryzen9 3900x 4.0GHZ, 32GB DDR4, RX6800xt, 1TSSD  Reverb G2, F-14 Simpit (WIP)

Virpil Collective 60 head, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals, TM MFDs, 5 Leo Bodnar boards.

• 1 month later...

Seat is about 90% complete!

Needs the fabric done on the parachute container, as well as seat cushions and belts. I'll probably try my hand a sewing later on...

The belt rollers are functional and I left a spot for a car seat belt retractor in there later on if I feel like it. I'll probably only get shoulder straps, just to complete the look.

The seat base is a cushion already, however it will get a more realistic looking thin cushion on top.

Its not a replica, hence why I included the F16 style bits on it. Flight data recorder (intent is to conceal wireless headphone charging in that), upgraded chute container with the retractable pitot, and the upgraded larger O2 bottle and system.

All up its got 6 buttons/switches in it, all connected via a single cat 5 network cable to spare inputs on a Leo Bodnar in the MIP.

Last picture is the pit as it sits right now. The seat isn't on its rails yet and the floor isn't in, so it will sit higher than it is now.

The MIP wiring and finishing touches are next.

Oh also- I started up an instagram account so I can add photos day by day rather than waiting for more progress before updating here

Follow @thewarthogproject

And a YouTube channel to match with the same name. It's bare at the moment but I'll start uploading videos eventually.

Can't wait for that first cold start walk through video!!!

07ef9ca574517e2e46c3f5a4fa73535c.jpg5f5bdcbfd1083c5fa59e9862ae8d68af.jpge85b87c2f0659ce06281fd9f8a13df7e.jpg34034cae2787a79e8046f1d6a3f0ac8c.jpgcf6b4557b7eed2271c4b53429e3e1be6.jpg17f1ebcdc90fd50772a2041b92c17f80.jpg

30559c1d1f97e8edf44597a16893e5e4.jpg

Absolute GREATNESS Ray. Your work on the seat is unparalleled.

Now that I have almost settled in to my new house (and shop) I'm finally starting to make some progress. I hope I will be catching up to you fairly soon. We will definitely have to do some flying together. That will certainly be a flight to remember ... two pilots flying in real (well almost) cockpits.:thumbup:

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

My Cockpit Build Pictures...

John Wall

My Arduino Sketches ... https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Dc0Wd9C5l3uY-cPj1iQD3iAEHY6EuHg?usp=sharing

WIN 10 Pro, i8-8700k @ 5.0ghz, ASUS Maximus x Code, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram,

AIO Water Cooler, M.2 512GB NVMe,

500gb SSD, EVGA GTX 1080 ti (11gb), Sony 65” 4K Display

VPC MongoosT-50, TM Warthog Throttle, TRK IR 5.0, Slaw Viper Pedals

Cheers lads.

Its still a fair way's off flying I think.

I've got a lot of work ahead on the left console. Not so much on the MIP so that's up next.

Also- i downloaded 2.5 on the sim rig yesterday and have realised my GTX780 doesn't cut it anymore haha. That will need an upgrade. I'll wait for the next gen cards to come out and hope to snap up a 1080ti a bit cheaper.

A few points on the seat-

Im not happy with wood for the ejection handles, those will be redone in metal. Because your thighs are always up against them they need to feel more realistic.

I've already snapped off the manual chute handle getting in and out, back to the drawing board for that as well. I knew it was going to happen, just didn't think it would so quickly!

My advice to anyone making a seat is to make the seat back out of a thicker wood, mines only 8mm MDF and it flexes a lot which means the paint cracks. If I did it again I'd do the back in 12 or 16mm.

And yep, I'm in Melbourne.

Seat is now on the floor. It has since been painted and is drying as we speak.

c87f672b37fb385fd4abe4e0d015bed6.jpg

And here is a small change to the landing gear panel. It's the little details that count!

c449bf298082859e640ec0838a79ccfc.jpg

Edited by romeokilo