Debolestis Shapeways shop

I have one more new print!!!

It is an adapter for Microsoft Force Feedback 2 joystick. I've got this joystick as a gift from a member of SimHQ forums. Thank you Ian!!!

Here is FFB2 without a grip. I wanted to make an adapter that goes on FFB2 shaft so that it can be used with TM grips.

acGT0Lf.jpg

I made two versions V1 and V2.

V1 can be used with FLCS, F22, Cougar and Warthog. It mounts permanently on FFB2 base. I didn't print it, because I don't need it now. I printed V2 version. It acts as "regular" TM base on FFB2.

Here are photos of printed part:

9RfxCg8.jpg

There are 8 holes on adapter. I used M3 grub screws to secure the adapter. But any M3 screw can be used.

zd3Eidt.jpg

Installed on base:

EAkh3CO.jpg

It fits fine and can be secured firmly with screws. It is also possible to rotate it to the left if stick is center mounted.

I tested it with warthog grip, but it is too heavy. It comes back to center if stick is pulled backwards but not if pushed up front. I know there are mods that double power to the motors and I'll test them in next few days. Another option is to use FLCS grip with Warthog electronics.

44Oeao5.jpg

Then I tested it with plastic B8 X-fighter grip and it worked very well. In next few days I'll finish electronics and of course I'll post everything.

XKZP9cE.jpg

Great job!

Is the F-16 style locking nut compatible with your 3D printed tilted tailpice?

And, did you consider printing a piece to cover the spaces that will exist between this nut and the stick with the tilted tailpiece? That will help to get a solid joint for FCC/FSSB users.

Cheers

That FFB2 adapter is awesome! Do you need to tap the M3 holes, or can the grub screws self-tap it? Also, what length of grub screws would be good to get so that the screw doesn't protrude out?

Any possibility of supporting the CH Fighterstick as well? It's basically the same thing as the TM Warthog stick, but made out of plastic so it's lighter, and doesn't require as much strength to push the buttons down.

Yes, locking nut is compatible with mine and TM tailpieces.

I cannot make nut like you suggest, because of geometry.

Great it is compatible!

I didn't mean a single nut with that shape. I meant extra piece this way, but for the tilt tailpiece with your new nut:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=196311&share_tid=25507&share_pid=360439&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ebmsforum%2Eorg%2Fforum%2Fshowpost%2Ephp%3Fp%3D360439&share_type=t

Cheers

Great it is compatible!

I didn't mean a single nut with that shape. I meant extra piece this way, but for the tilt tailpiece with your new nut:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=196311&share_tid=25507&share_pid=360439&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ebmsforum%2Eorg%2Fforum%2Fshowpost%2Ephp%3Fp%3D360439&share_type=t

Cheers

Can you post a photo please, I don't want to register on that site.

The idea is using the cougar grip with your 13° tilted tailpiece and your new locking nut. If you take the measures with all of that, it would be good.

But it will be different from that picture. Something like this but tilted:

IMG_9923.thumb.JPG.329cabe758b0f9ee28cda32a93270a39.JPG

I'll take the locking nut and that new piece (already have the tail). And probably more pitbuilders with FCC like me

That would help a lot with any weak point when applying pressure.

Cheers and thanks for your job!

The idea is using the cougar grip with your 13° tilted tailpiece and your new locking nut. If you take the measures with all of that, it would be good.

But it will be different from that picture. Something like this but tilted:

[ATTACH]169576[/ATTACH]

I'll take the locking nut and that new piece (already have the tail). And probably more pitbuilders with FCC like me

That would help a lot with any weak point when applying pressure.

Cheers and thanks for your job!

I'll think of something.

Here's an update for my FFB2 mod. I did same resistor mod like ON THIS THREAD. This is a photo from that thread, I am not the author.

Haa59MGl.jpg

There are 4 pairs of 1 Ohm resistors in paralel on this PCB, so each pair is equivalent of 0,5 ohms. I soldered 8 more resistors on top of each already on PCB. It doubled the force effect. It very nice mod and now stick has enough power to handle Warthog grip. Before Warthog was falling on its nose, now it is almost cenered.

4NVFb4Q.jpg

Warthog grip is not perfectly centered but it it close enough, it can probably be calibrated. I could add one more resistor on top of each of 4 resistor "quads". It could probably increase power 20% but it is a risk and I am not sure if it is worth it. This mod doubled power allready. Here is Diview screenshot:

UddKDDM.jpg

With plastic grips both axis are on 50%.

In next few days I'll finish the rest of the electronics, I'll post the results.

Edited by debolestis

Here's an update for my FFB2 mod. I did same resistor mod like ON THIS THREAD. This is a photo from that thread, I am not the author.

Haa59MGl.jpg

There are 4 pairs of 1 Ohm resistors in paralel on this PCB, so each pair is equivalent of 0,5 ohms. I soldered 8 more resistors on top of each already on PCB. It doubled the force effect. It very nice mod and now stick has enough power to handle Warthog grip. Before Warthog was falling on its nose, now it is almost cenered.

4NVFb4Q.jpg

Warthog grip is not perfectly centered but it it close enough, it can probably be calibrated. I could add one more resistor on top of each of 4 resistor "quads". It could probably increase power 20% but it is a risk and I am not sure if it is worth it. This mod doubled power allready. Here is Diview screenshot:

UddKDDM.jpg

With plastic grips both axis are on 50%.

In next few days I'll finish the rest of the electronics, I'll post the results.

Neat. Roland van Roy's mod is similar, but replaces the power supplies and ends up 400% the current, which is then fed into bigger motors.

http://www.simprojects.nl/ms_siderwinder_ff2_hack.htm

This mod is nice for being practical though, I may use it as a stop-gap solution for my sailplane cockpit now that Condor2 is officially in beta and it's gonna be a while before I can afford the motors I need to make the beefy version.

Increase the power... and the stress/wear over gears and motors. :joystick: :D

Better use a low weight PLASTIC grip - F16FLCS, F22PRO, CH-16, Suncom F-15... ;)

I agree but I made mod that acts as extension, so I recoment resistor mod even if plastic grip is used.

Increase the power... and the stress/wear over gears and motors. :joystick: :D

Better use a low weight PLASTIC grip - F16FLCS, F22PRO, CH-16, Suncom F-15... ;)

MS was very conservative when they decided how much power to allow this to pull. The motors and gears are fine with the additional load and heat is a concern so they made everything beefy but it doesn't run anywhere near its limits. So long as you can keep things cool, there's little to worry about with this mod, and replacement msffii cheap enough to keep one around for spares in case something fries. The guy that did this for his extension planned on incorporating a fan in the psu since it's getting hotter under these loads, which is a sensible precaution you may want to consider as well debolestis.

I agree a lower weight grip makes more sense in this case, but for performance reasons not necessarily mechanical concerns.

• 2 weeks later...
Great. What would be the extra cost of making it 12cm height?

And will it be stiff/rigid, or just limp..?

Sorry that you had to wait but I made extended version of this adapter, it is 12 cm in total length.

I don't know how stiff/rigid it will be, I haven't tested it yet, but my experience tells me that it will be stiff. You'll have to test it yourself.

There has been some changes on Shapeways site, now sections in the store are supported. I organized everything and now it is much easier to navigate through the store.

9FowCBO.jpg

Save