The DCS Updater / Launcher GUI Utility Version 2.0 (2023+)

Sorry, ignore me. I was being an idiot! I assumed that the app would start up with my last selected preset, but, in fact, it starts with the Default one which I didn't notice. Same thing must have happened on previous recent occasions.

I'll go and stand in the corner for a while!

there were a few versions after presets were integrated as a function where it would launch w/ last selected preset, but it caused problems, so it was set to launch app and leave default selected.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Thanks for that, Skate. Useful to know.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Startup crash

I am getting the following unhandled exception error when I try to start the utility:

"Conversion from string "" to type 'Boolean' is not valid

I have attached the JIT details.

I overwrote the older version, then I cleared the directory and pasted clean, then I pasted to another directory, then I deleted the config directory in my %user%. Still crashes.

Additional details because I am an idiot and pressed post too soon.

Win10 1803

DCS 2.5.6 Stable

GTX980Ti Ver. 441.41

I thought maybe I might need an update to .Net, but nothing showed up as available.

DCS Updater.txt

Edited by VeeSPIKE

did you leave the .dll with the exe?

the only place during form load it would be looking for a boolean value is the user.settings

does the older version work if you put it back?

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

if you select continue; and then restart the application it works without the error message from that point on

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

You know, there was once a television series that ran for four seasons that had as a major premise this concept: Have you tried turning it off and on again.

A cold start fixed whatever the problem was. The thing is, I rebooted it after it installed some Office updates when I went looking for .Net updates and THAT didn't.

Sorry for the sirens.

I removed some old settings and it prolly didnt agree with the app's user.settings update command, since the value is no longer defined.

Clearing the User.settings should clear it up

or pressing OK to continue, then closing the APP to generate the new settings file then re-opening.

Edited by SkateZilla

Thx for the update. Great work SkateZilla!

I would sugest to paint the following message in red in the GUI:

Application Status: Update available

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI MEG X570 | CPU Ryzen 7 5800X @ 4.5 GHz | RAM 64 GB @ 3200 MHz | GPU GIGABYTE RTX 4090 | 1 TB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: ASUS 27" LCD | TrackIR 5 | LukeClip | Quest 3 | PointCTRL | Virpil HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

MODULES: To much to list. But I stopped buying more, because of too much bugs in e.g. A-10C(II). @ED: Fix the bugs and I spend money on modules again. Promised.

PROJECTS: OpenFlightSchool: DE / EN

Is it an option to make the updater update itself (after confirmation) in the near future?

there is no Donate button, entirely freeware.

Time to make one, Skate, it will still be freeware even with a donate button on it...:smilewink:

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I am having issues with the "External Apps", it just does not save che checkmark to enable them to start w/DCS... this happens for SRS and the other 5 applications I have defined there. If I close and reopen the GUI it remembers the paths but deletes the checkmarks.

Seems like it's not saving any information about that particular state in the user.config file.

Is it an option to make the updater update itself (after confirmation) in the near future?

Time to make one, Skate, it will still be freeware even with a donate button on it...:smilewink:

At one point in late 2018 the update check and download was automatic, but it was removed due to webhost reporting the Updater aa malicious software.

the update check was also changed to manual because users did like the update prompt.

Im working on new solutions along with some other new features.

I am having issues with the "External Apps", it just does not save che checkmark to enable them to start w/DCS... this happens for SRS and the other 5 applications I have defined there. If I close and reopen the GUI it remembers the paths but deletes the checkmarks.

Seems like it's not saving any information about that particular state in the user.config file.

i will double check, I may have not added the checkbox saved state.

dumb question as it should be obvious for me, but just to make sure...has the launcher been updated yet? Im showing 12.24.2019 as current build, app 1.1.0.1029.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

dumb question as it should be obvious for me, but just to make sure...has the launcher been updated yet?

Yes, yesterday.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Yes, yesterday.

ok, I havent been able to get the GUI updated through the updater link.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

ok, I havent been able to get the GUI updated through the updater link.

There isn't an updater link any more. It only tells you if there is an update under 'check for application update'. Then you have to download it from the first page here.

I never even got that, previous applications used to do that. Anyways, from the looks of it, Ive been outdated since christmas.

My wallpaper and skins

I never even got that, previous applications used to do that. Anyways, from the looks of it, Ive been outdated since christmas.

Prior to yesterday, that was the latest version!

The option is under 'Appplication information' on the main menu.

Thank you for the update, truly great app to have...

My 2 cents :

The new detection icons in the the Applications settings / status / the blue square with R and B marking release version and beta version are nice additions, but the icons are too similar, could one of them have a different color, by any chance?

If you are doing cleaning, and based on the change log you do, I guess you can also remove the "Eagle Dynamics Google+" from the "Official Sites / Links" top menu

Thank you for your work man!

Edited by mastershotgun
corrected typos

Latest Update Working Now: Some Interesting Observations

Hi Skate Zilla,

I LOVE the APP and would happily Donate a small amount to continue its support. Even if you don't want any money, you could attach the donation to a favourite charity or direct fans to a link where they can donate on behalf of Skate Zilla. -- THANKS AGAIN!

I just updated to App Build: 6.3.2020 today, I was on the December 2019 build before.

ALL is working now, but I wanted to list some observations in hopes that they may be helpful.

1. Initially, I did receive the Boolean error InvalidCastException: Conversion from string "to type 'Boolean' is not valid. I just hit continue, deleted the old user config, and did a couple of reboots, and now the error is gone.

2. Currently, there is a Long 2 min Delay on the SZS DCS Update / Launcher GUI Utility Splash Screen. Eventually, the Update / Launcher GUI Utility Fully Launches.

- Maybe a large amount of OFFLINE Update Servers are causing a delay in completing the initializing of the scripts?

3. I recently had to MOVE my Saved Games Folder out of my \Users\Usersname\Saved Games to one of my other SSD drives. I used the Windows 10 built-in Properties > Location > Move method to relocate the special folder. - Maybe this configuration causes unexpected delays or behaviour?

4. I noticed that even though the Special saved games folder is now recognized by windows in the new location - the Skate Zilla DCS Updater App still creates the DCS Updater Utility folder in a newly created Saved Games Folder in the original \Users\Usersname\ location.

In other words, the DCS Update Utility folder and Log File are not being created in the actual Saved Games folder but in a generic Saved Games folder that is being created by the Updater Utility - but all still works!

- maybe the utility has the Saved Games Folder hardcoded somewhere and can not find Saved Games if it is moved out of the Usual Users Profile folder? Interesting.

5. Advanced Update Options - I never Noticed until moments ago that your utility has options to Delete Pre-Compiled Shaders and DCS Configuration File -- GOOD STUFF! Thanks Again.

Let me know if you have any questions suggestions - Stay Safe.

JJF>

• Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

1. Yes, once you hit continue and close the app and relaunch it should be fine, this is basically a side affect of removing old settings from the settings file.

2/3. this is due to servers timing out. I may change the timeout time limit.

4. the App is Set to make the folder in the user profile / Saved Games Folder. it does not recognize if the folder is moved / remapped, I may add ability to set location to overwrite default location.

5. Requested and integrated a few versions back, as it helps after big updates.