MSN 03 Debrief (spoilers)

Zeke

Start off watching everyone else taxi and take off, very cool indeed. I think I could have waited to start the engines, burned some fuel just sitting there. I got a little nervous watching the clock and waiting for the clearance to taxi. It finally came and we were going to be about a min late for takeoff.

Kept my eye on WP 6 TOT to make sure we made it there for PUSH. Tried to keep out of burner to conserve fuel.

Pushed on time and started our sweep towards WP 9. Bingo, the radar lights up with two contacts, cleared with AWACS and gave the order to fire to the flight. Holy Cow! All kinds of info coming over the radio, this AA down that AA down, engaging this, this one is engaging that. I concentrated on the two bandits and bugged them in TWS mode. Once within 10 miles I fired two 120s and I can hear my wingmen doing the same (wish we could sort contacts with our wingmen).

One 120 hit and took out a bandit, another missed. Got within range of another and locked him up with a heater. Fired and blew him up too.

Regrouped and decided to head back west toward WP 9. Two more contacts on the radar close, then the RWR starts going crazy, missile launches at my aircraft. Start dumping chaff and some flares, take evasive action but it's not enough. BANG! DAMN!

After watching the TACVIEW I saw that I shot down two Mig29s. However going back toward WP 9 was a mistake, as it put me and my wingmen inside the SA11 envelope. That's what nailed me.

In hind sight I should have come back east of the ridgeline and wait for the strike package to take out their targets? There were two contacts on the radar which I still think we needed to engage.

Oh well, try, try again.

Edited by Zeke

Really enjoying the debriefs, Zeke.

Yeah, if you cross the FEBA, you will end up in the SA-11 MEZ during the sweep. That means you have to take it down low and return to east of the FEBA after you've killed the southern Gomers (just watch for the SA-19s west of the FEBA) - it's a valid tactic even if you don't think you've been targeted. The Blue Air SEAD flights will not be too far behind you, so as you head back west towards WP9 again, the HARMs and ALARMS will already be in the air.

Waypoint 9 brings you right up against the max range of those SA-11's. I watched my tacview after and I did get launched at but they ran out of energy because I bugged out right away.

Ended up with 2 slammer kills and 1 heater kill. I tried to stick around for the ford flights but due to fuel I had to go back home, AWACS was showing clean anyway.

Can't wait to try mission 4.

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

TAKE TWO:

This time I asked for permission to taxi right away and received clearance before the F16s showed up. Therefor I was able to take off on time. Made it to the push point with 3 minutes to spare and circled there and pushed on time. Did I say how cool it was to hear all the flights call out their Push toward the target!

After takeoff, while in the Sally corridor I called for a flight check. The strangest thing happened!! The reply was, '2', '4', and then a roar of a lion! then '3'. I shit you not! Just to make sure I tired it again and the same thing happened! Very interesting.

Once we arrived at WP 8 we pointed our nose at WP 9 and turned on our radar. It took a little time but the southern group showed up on radar once we were within 50 miles. Went to TWS and bugged each plane. Gave the order for 3 to attack my target, he and 4 peeled off. I figured since these guys were the only ones on radar, we'd both attack them. All of a sudden they dropped off the radar and I was able to reacquire them only to have them drop off again. Next time I was able to get contacts on the radar they were more north then I thought, so I figured this must be another group.

Bugged those guys and kept a close eye on the RWR for that SA11. Once within 12 miles I fired off two 120s, one at each bandit. Just then I got a missile launch warning from the SA11. I waited 3 seconds for my 120s to go pitbull and then did a split S and headed back east pumping chaff and a couple of flares. I had no way of knowing until I watched the Tacview that one of my 120s killed an Mig29. Once I was within 25 miles of WP 8 (when we reached WP 8 earlier I checked the distance to WP 9 and it was 53 miles I believe, I just made a mental note of 25, since on the map this is where the SA11 circle ends), I climbed up and came around back to the west toward WP 9. Somewhere around this time I heard two bail out.

I quickly saw AC to my front, and switched to vertical scan mode to see if I could lock up a target. First contact was an enemy and I fired off a 120 at 7 miles. Boom! Kill #2. Almost immediately another Mig comes into view and I locked him up also, fired another 120 and this shot missed as it was at a very bad angle and we merged quickly afterward. I turned quick, did a high yoyo since I was much faster then the Mig, and got on his tail, locked him up and fired a heater at close range. As soon as my missile was off the rail the Mig exploded. Another F15 killed him from in front of us. My heater ran into the wreckage and exploded. No shoot was seen!

Called up the flight to rejoin and the only one to respond was 4. We flew toward WP 8, west again until we heard the SA11 was down then flew toward WP 9 again. While on our way to WP 10, we received the 'mission success' signal. Since we were close to 'Joker' we headed on out.

Landed back at base with no problems.

On to mission 4!!

TAKE TWO:

After takeoff, while in the Sally corridor I called for a flight check. The strangest thing happened!! The reply was, '2', '4', and then a roar of a lion! then '3'. I shit you not! Just to make sure I tired it again and the same thing happened! Very interesting.

On to mission 4!!

Is that what that was? I heard something very strange, didn't realize it was a roar. When I heard it I was west of the FEBA when I called for flight check - just thought it was some weird anomaly (or I was hearing things), not an Easter Egg.

Good day,

DrDetroit

• 4 months later...

Nice to hear that roar. Could have been a Tiger thing, except those LN squadrons are not linked to the Tiger community.

Anyway, mission 3 was a treat. I still have to debrief with Tacview. I got 3 migs. I still lack some SA skills as i don't know what my wingmen do and where they are in the fight.

2 wingmen ejected as they run out of gas on the way home (they cut through Area 51). Once they call Bingo, i direct them RTB but it's too late.