Specifications on some weapons

CHSubZero

Maybe someone can help me with understanding some of the Fishbeds weapons :smartass:

• BL755: Anti-Armor 1000 lb cluster bomb
  • Difference between FAB-250 and FAB-250 M54 TU?
  • RN-24: Nuclear bomb (simulation in DCS), weight?
  • RN-28: Nuclear bomb (simulation in DCS), weight?
  • S-24 A: High Explosive
  • S-24 B: Armor-Penetration
  • Kh-66 Grom: (=AS-7), 2-10km, 100kg, Radar-Guided, Air-to-Surface
  • R-13M: (=AA-2C), 1-???km, IR-guided, Short-Range, Air-to-Air
  • R-13M1: slightly better tracking then R-13M
  • R-3R: (=AA-2B), 1-8km, Semi-Active Radar-guided, Short-Range Air-to-Air
  • R-3S: (=AA-2A), 1-7km, IR-guided, Short-Range Air-to-Air
  • R-55: 21kg, IR-Guided, Air-to-Air
  • Difference between R-60 and R-60M: R-60M weights 1kg more, is slightly better and offers limited all-aspect

• RS-2US: (=AA-1, R-5MS or K-5MS), 13kg, 2-6km, Beam-Riding, Short-Range Air-to-Air

Edited by CHSubZero

My Mods: DCS User Files

Modules owned: EVERY Module :pilotfly:

The RN-24 is bigger than the RN-28 and thus should do more damage in theory. S-24A and S-24B have different warhead IIRC. The A is HE and the B should he bunker busting but I'm not sure on that.

The R-13M is short range as are all the air-air missiles of the MiG-21, the difference between the two versions is just that the R-13M1 is slightly better in terms of tracking. R-55 is SARH, the RS-2US is a beam rider btw.

I should probably also mention that the R-60M is not only slightly better than the R-60, it is actually the only missile of the fishbed with limited all-aspect capabilities. Meaning you don't need to come behind someone to achieve missile lock.

In summary:

RS-2U: old beam rider air to air missile developed for the MiG-19PFM and SU-9 interceptors of the PVO. Used in limited quantities in the 21PFM (RP-21M weapon system), incompatible with the RP-22 weapon system of the bis.

Added by the developers for gameplay purposes.

R-55: RS-2U fitted with the IR seeker of the R-3S. Used for training only.

R-3S: direct copy of the AIM-9B.

R-13M: New seeker and cooling system, better suited for dogfight. Better range and flight performance, Maybe a Aim-9D, roughly.

R-13M1 last improvement of the R-3/R-13 family. New aerodynamics. better flight performance. Roughly a -9G.

R-60: dogfight missile. All for the agility. Very short range, small warhead but very improved flight dynamics.

R-60M: Improved seeker and warhead.

R-3R: SARH missile, not suited for agile targets. Similar to the ill-fated AIM-9C

KH-66: A/G beam rider missile. Like the RS-2U, incompatible with the RP-22 Weapon System. Added by the developers for gameplay purposes.

S-24 and 24B: frag (A) and concrete piercing (B) warheads.

FAB: M54 series: high drag bombs; M62 series: low drag bombs. About thee TU sufix, I´m not sure, maybe "retarded" or some type of detonator.

I hope that this will be useful.

Well there is a Radar aswell as an IR guided variant of the R-55.

Dont remember wich one is modeled in the game or if both are.

I would lean towards the IR variant ingame.

You're right, there's IR and SARH variant, but the one in the DCS is IR.

In summary:

RS-2U: old beam rider air to air missile developed for the MiG-19PFM and SU-9 interceptors of the PVO. Used in limited quantities in the 21PFM (RP-21M weapon system), incompatible with the RP-22 weapon system of the bis.

Good to know. I'm all for things like this as they help the sim, but I'd like them to be very clearly labeled. So you know when to avoid them. I thought it was only the Grom that was added.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

In summary:

R-55: RS-2U fitted with the IR seeker of the R-3S. Used for training only.

R-3S: direct copy of the AIM-9B.

R-13M: New seeker and cooling system, better suited for dogfight. Better range and flight performance, Maybe a Aim-9D, roughly.

R-13M1 last improvement of the R-3/R-13 family. New aerodynamics. better flight performance. Roughly a -9G.

R-60: dogfight missile. All for the agility. Very short range, small warhead but very improved flight dynamics.

R-60M: Improved seeker and warhead.

R-3R: SARH missile, not suited for agile targets. Similar to the ill-fated AIM-9C

KH-66: A/G beam rider missile. Like the RS-2U, incompatible with the RP-22 Weapon System. Added by the developers for gameplay purposes.

S-24 and 24B: frag (A) and concrete piercing (B) warheads.

FAB: M54 series: high drag bombs; M62 series: low drag bombs. About thee TU sufix, I´m not sure, maybe "retarded" or some type of detonator.

I hope that this will be useful.

TU-sufix mean in russian /TORMOZNOE USTROISTVO/-/RETARDET SYSTEM/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The R-55 is the IR variant of the beam rider RS-2U. It was designed by the Zvezda OKB.

There isn't a SARH variant of the R-55.

I always thought the R-55 is basicaly the RS-2U with seeker taken from R-3S/R, both IR and SARH variants. But I may be wrong. :D