Low frame rate

Galm1

Lord like I've said multiple times I have no problems since adjusting my usual settings aka going from ultra to high. I can only guess those who have additional problems need to do a reinstall or seriously check their settings to pc hardware
Isn't a question of visibility distances in my case, like I've said like 1000000 times already. And neither is it my PC, and about that I am certain (+ have also rechecked everything). Have also ran a repair, so it's not that either.

Seems that v1.5.3 just does not run well on some PCs, and that's that. And any one particular user not having problems does not change that one bit. You can just consider yourself lucky is all.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ED Team

Can all the guys having fps issues please add their system spec to their signatures, it would be very helpful.

A reminder of the minimum and recommended spec for DCS

Minimum system requirements: OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i3; RAM: 8 GB; Free hard disk space: 60 GB; Video: 2 GB RAM card, DirectX11 - compatible; requires internet activation.

Recommended system requirements: OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i5+; RAM: 16GB; Hard disk space: 60 GB; Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX780 / ATI R9 290 DirectX11 or better; Joystick; requires internet activation.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Dudes you cant use the " all other games runs fine" as problemseeking selution.

Why the bar raises, for machine power, is called evolution, and 8 gigs and the rather porley cgu´s you have is the reason...

I for one finetune my pc, only for DCS... Its a flight sim and not a game. So if you wnat to run it, you need to get deeper into finetuning your pc for this sim..

Intel Core i7-6700K Cpu 4.00 GHz OC 4.8 GHz Water Cooled|32 GB DDR4 ram OC| Nvidia RTX 2080Ti| TrustMaster Warthog|Saitek Battle Pro Pedals | Logitec G13| Oculus Rift S :joystick:

I´m in for a ride, a VR ride:pilotfly:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBX_-Hml7_7s1dggit_vGpA?view_as=public

please add their system spec to their signatures

i7-2600k@4.6GHz / Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 / 16GB RAM / GTX980 4GB VRAM / Win 7 Home Premium 64bit / Corsair Force GT SSD running 20 processes & 25 services all told at idle.

And again, this above-the-spec machine ran v1.5.2 without any problems whatsoever.

Edited by msalama

i7-2600k@4.6GHz / Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 / 16GB RAM / GTX980 4GB VRAM / Win 7 Home Premium 64bit / Corsair Force GT SSD running 20 processes & 25 services all told at idle.

And again, this above-the-spec machine ran v1.5.2 without any problems whatsoever.

I just had a look at your motherboard specs, it shows on the board itself DirectX 10.1 (http://www.pcgameware.co.uk/images/ASRock-Z68-Extreme4-Gen3-21.jpg)? The i7 2600 is also bit old CPU now, I am thinking this is your bottleneck, it would make sense that object count is your most affecting FPS factor. I would recommend you use LOW visibility setting.

But this also makes me wonder if your motherboard actually supports DirectX 11 which EDGE is now using?

Edited by Kuky

No longer active in DCS...

if your motherboard actually supports DirectX 11 which EDGE is now using?

Hey, that's a good catch. Entirely possible it does not. I'll check. Anyway, lowering visibility distances doesn't help in the slightest, as I've already explained here and elsewhere.

EDIT: the i7-2600k is a Sandy Bridge proc so it only supports DX10.1, whereas an Ivy Bridge proc on a Z68 should do DX11 according to the mobo specs. So there _is_ that admittedly. Gotta think on my options for a couple of days next; but anyway, thanks again for pointing that out, 'twas a good catch indeed.

Edited by msalama

Hey, that's a good catch. Entirely possible it does not. I'll check. Anyway, lowering visibility distances doesn't help in the slightest, as I've already explained here and elsewhere.

I'll tweak the file now and upload it, I will reduce few values, I want to see if it helps you

EDIT: its attached now... I changed few values in LOW setting. Please try it and let me know how you go

Low.lua goes in ...Config/Terrain folder (I have reduced districts distances)

Shadows.lua goes in ...Config/Effects folder (I have reduced the max distance of shadows)

Don't use forests slider to large distance (9000m is enough to match this Low.lua file)

Low.lua

shadows.lua

Edited by Kuky

Thanks, will download and test. S!

EDIT: no appreciable change that I can see. But thanks again anyway. FWIW, I'm beginning to think the culprit is the DX10.1 vs. DX11 thing you mentioned.

Edited by msalama

EDIT: the i7-2600k is a Sandy Bridge proc so it only supports DX10.1, whereas an Ivy Bridge proc on a Z68 should do DX11 according to the mobo specs. So there _is_ that admittedly. Gotta think on my options for a couple of days next; but anyway, thanks again for pointing that out, 'twas a good catch indeed.

Since I doubt use are using your processors or MBs integrated graphics adapter, their DX support doesn't have a meaning. You have gtx 980 GPU, which supports DX12, so thats only thing what matters when it comes to your computers DX support

Core i7-2600K @ 4.7Ghz, Asus GTX 980 strix 4Gb VRAM, 16Gb DDR3 1600Mhz, Samsung 1 TB SSD, Samsung spinpoint F3 HDD, MB P8P67 PRO rev 3.1.

Since I doubt use are using your processors or MBs integrated graphics adapter, their DX support doesn't have a meaning. You have gtx 980 GPU, which supports DX12, so thats only thing what matters when it comes to your computers DX support

I wouldn't be sure about that. The GPU can only get instructions from the application/sim, through the CPU/motherboard. If some sim instructions are in DirectX 11 and CPU can't talk in DX11, then the GPU won't be getting what it needs to run DX11 (I think). I would say developers (of any game) can respond to this as they know best how their game is coded.

only thing what matters when it comes to your computers DX support
Yeah? I may well be mistaken here, but have so far thought it's like a platform thing. But no, of course I'm using the 980 instead of a crappy Intel adapter that just happens to be there.

So there goes that line of inquiry then...

then the GPU won't be getting what it needs to run DX11
OK, gotta get to the bottom of this next and see how it is. Google's yer friend mates...

EDIT: appears that Tonike is right. https://askleo.com/do-i-need-a-new-motherboard-for-a-new-version-of-directx/

Edited by msalama

Yeah? I may well be mistaken here, but have so far thought it's like a platform thing. But no, of course I'm using the 980 instead of a crappy Intel adapter that just happens to be there.

So there goes that line of inquiry then...

OK, gotta get to the bottom of this next and see how it is. Google's yer friend mates...

EDIT: appears that Tonike is right. https://askleo.com/do-i-need-a-new-motherboard-for-a-new-version-of-directx/

Guys... this is very basic computer knowledge.

And i7-2600k is on par with modern processors because you can OC it so well. Remember kids, DCS loves high clock speeds. There was a test here on this forum, but I cant find it right now.

Core i7-2600K @ 4.7Ghz, Asus GTX 980 strix 4Gb VRAM, 16Gb DDR3 1600Mhz, Samsung 1 TB SSD, Samsung spinpoint F3 HDD, MB P8P67 PRO rev 3.1.

Im really beginning to wonder how ED and 3rd partie are assuming to make any profit out of a game that runs worse with every update. I feel really deterred to invest in any more modules as long as my gaming PC bought in 2014 can't even run the one Module I own. I really dont intend to invest 1000€ all 2 years into new hardware just to run a desktop Simulation game

Sims are the definitive system resource hog, but you're probably aware. Not updating is a valid choice, but I can tell you that I recently performed an update and I'm getting avg. 100+ FPS in 4k.. rarely dropping down to 80 in extreme cases. I don't regret it one bit. I'm not sure there will be another DCS 'engine rebuild' in the next two years, so I think I made a smart purchase. Best of luck.

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

• ED Team

Could msalama's Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 being a pci-e 2.0 Motherboard be decreasing the potential performance of the gtx 980 being a pci-e 3.0 card?

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Could msalama's Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 being a pci-e 2.0 Motherboard be decreasing the potential performance of the gtx 980 being a pci-e 3.0 card?

No. The speed difference is negligible. It has been tested on many computer magazines and sites. There hasn't been any observable fps difference.

Well, there is a difference between being able to run DX11 and using DX11 to its fullest potential. The CPU can emulate things, but this is at some performance cost (because emulating means more CPU usage). So yes, you don't need new motherboard/cpu, as clearly you are able to run DCS which is now DX11, but I am very certain that this is at some performance cost.

The man has same video card as mine, he has his CPU running at slightly higher clock then mine, but says that even with reduced visibility settings (and maybe he tried reducing other things) he can't get DCS to run smooth, while I can (and I run 4K resolution, not HD which add more performance hit). If CPU clock is the king and fact that i7 2600 and m/b is not DX11 hardware which you say doesn't matter, shouldn't he be able to have same performance as me (or better as he is not using 4K resolution)? Fact that he doesn't... shouldn't that incline to think that I am most likely right?

Edited by Kuky

Well, there is a difference between being able to run DX11 and using DX11 to its fullest potential. The CPU can emulate things, but this is at some performance cost (because emulating means more CPU usage). So yes, you don't need new motherboard/cpu, as clearly you are able to run DCS which is now DX11, but I am very certain that this is at some performance cost.

The man has same video card as mine, he has his CPU running at slightly higher clock then mine, but says that even with reduced visibility settings (and maybe he tried reducing other things) he can't get DCS to run smooth, while I can (and I run 4K resolution, not HD which add more performance hit). If CPU clock is the king and fact that i7 2600 and m/b is not DX11 hardware which you say doesn't matter, shouldn't he be able to have same performance as me (or better as he is not using 4K resolution)? Fact that he doesn't... shouldn't that incline to think that I am most likely right?

Look, the computer is not using MBs or CPUs direcX interface, because it has DX11 (actually DX12 in this case) capable GC. The GPU will dictate directx compatibility. Motherboard and CPU are not a factor.

Why we're having performance difference is a mystery. And I hope we get to the bottom of this so multiple people complaining the issue will get back to the sim and rock the jets of this otherwise awesome game.

Look, the computer is not using MBs or CPUs direcX interface, because it has DX11 (actually DX12 in this case) capable GC. The GPU will dictate directx compatibility. Motherboard and CPU are not a factor.

Why we're having performance difference is a mystery. And I hope we get to the bottom of this so multiple people complaining the issue will get back to the sim and rock the jets of this otherwise awesome game.

You do know that any executable is run on the CPU? And only way that this executable and any graphics effect/whatever has to be going through the CPU? Its the CPU that talks to all of the hardware in the system and "tell it" what to do. In case of video card, it passes on instruction of the game engine to the GPU and then GPU handles it part of the job. In LOMAC days, or DCS prior to move to DX11, the CPU was handling most of the work and GPU was not. Now this is shifting and more work is offloaded to the GPU. But regardless, which hardware does what, still all things have to pass through the CPU as CPU is the heart (or should I say brain) of the system.

Anyway... if you think you are right, and you say this doesn't matter, then what else could it be that we have this "mystery reason" why DCS runs worse on his PC compared to mine?

Edited by Kuky

that we have this "mystery reason" why DCS runs worse on his PC compared to mine?

This "mystery reason", whatever it is, is most likely the same for all of us having worse performance under v1.5.3. Regardless, the mobo specs actually mention DX10.1/11 under the inbuilt Intel graphics card rubric, so I wouldn't bet on it applying to an external adapter after all. But then, I can't rule that possibility completely out either :music_whistling:

You do know that any executable is run on the CPU? And only way that this executable and any graphics effect/whatever has to be going through the CPU? Its the CPU that talks to all of the hardware in the system and "tell it" what to do. In case of video card, it passes on instruction of the game engine to the GPU and then GPU handles it part of the job. In LOMAC days, or DCS prior to move to DX11, the CPU was handling most of the work and GPU was not. Now this is shifting and more work is offloaded to the GPU. But regardless, which hardware does what, still all things have to pass through the CPU as CPU is the heart (or should I say brain) of the system.

Anyway... if you think you are right, and you say this doesn't matter, then what else could it be that we have this "mystery reason" why DCS runs worse on his PC compared to mine?

I'm not a programmer, so I don't know what's going on in the logic of the game. Feels like the game is "seeing" multiple objects outside the visible range and swapping some data from them to HDD (why not RAM?) ..But I'm probably wrong because many has SSDs and then you would also see the problem. Are you sure you have 1.5.3 version? :)

Tonike, it's interesting that your motherboard (MB P8P67 PRO rev 3.1) is same 1155 chipset, same as msalama's motherboard.

Maybe your m/b is DX10.1 also?

EDIT: my motherboard is socket 2011 and 1 gen later CPU

Edited by Kuky

Tonike, it's interesting that your motherboard (MB P8P67 PRO rev 3.1) is same 1155 chipset, same as msalama's motherboard.

Maybe your m/b is DX10.1 also?

It only refers to the integrated graphics adapter. Let's not go on that road. You should read about how directX works. Plenty of info on the internet.

Yes, we have the same chipset MB, because we have the same processor.

Edited by Tonike

Hold on a second mate... I don't think I need to look at how DirectX works. Common sense would dictate that software (which DirectX is) in order to get full capability and instruction set to work on the hardware... need hardware fully supporting this instruction set.

Like I said, everything that happens on your system, must go through the CPU.

I think I will leave it now as I think I am right and have given the reasons for that. If you think otherwise and that motherboard chipset and CPU type does not matter (in this case) then so be it... I will only agree to disagree.

Tonike is absolutely right. The reference to DX on the motherboard is purely to the onboard graphics. If a motherboard doesn't have onboard graphics then the specs won't say anything at all about DX but that doesn't mean that you can't use a DX9/10/11/12 graphics card with that motherboard. The CPU runs the program of course but any DX commands are just passed to the GPU to execute.

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen