Low frame rate

Galm1

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no, not really... you've got a very old CPU/ Mobo, bare minimum RAM and trying to pump it through a very new VGA, which isn't able to run at its full potential

Give it some consideration, perhaps?

Yes, its old, still the cpu usage doesn't exceed 60% per core

Yes I have 8GB, never exceeds 5GB usage.

So... if I had FPS drop with my CPU at 100% and my memory usage was at 8GB, I know for sure its my problem and would upgrade my hardware.

I'm not saying the game works bad, it just it should work a lot better.

Considering you may not overclock that CPU you have 3.4-3.8GHz which is basically enough to have an enjoyable gameplay, as I know from myself. So sometging must have happened to the settings in DCS or elsewhere to lower the achievable fps.

Have you ever tried overclocking that thing ? It may run well above 4.5GHz and will elimate any need for a currently available Intel CPU imho. Depending on how much you know and dare this can be very rewarding or better a thing to leave alone. Mine runs fine between 4.8 and 5GHz, a 2600k....:)

I would honestly consider more RAM....and maybe a SSD if you dont have one yet.

Both is known to help speed up DCS and avoid many common problems.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I have an issue in 2.0 and 1.5.3 where I get big drops in FPS only when zoomed in on a city center.

Even at very low altitudes when in normal zoom I get 60FPS locked (frame capped) no matter what. I can pan with trackIR rapidly, down the stip in vegas or buzzing a city in the Caucauses at very low altitude I get 60fps. If I zoom in on a city area however that changes... frames will drop 20-30% (even when sim is paused).

Just for kicks I dropped to LOW preset and I get the same frame drop only when zooming in on a city / populated area.

i7 4.2Ghz Nvidia 970

60FPS locked performance using custom settings (not a preset), but it's probably between Medium and High.

I can't for the life of me find the 'setting' that is controlling zoomed city performance... looking for suggestions.

CPU % is Linear and Relative depending on how many cores/threads you have.

DCS Uses 2 Threads, one for the simulation, 1 for sound.

I was talking about cores, the max CPU usage per core is around 60%. Never exceeds 5GB of ram and the GPU usage keeps at 30% 35%

I have an I7 2600K, 8GB RAM, GTX 980.

So, something is wrong with the game. It works but it should work a lot better.

Yes, its old, still the cpu usage doesn't exceed 60% per core

Yes I have 8GB, never exceeds 5GB usage.

So... if I had FPS drop with my CPU at 100% and my memory usage was at 8GB, I know for sure its my problem and would upgrade my hardware.

I'm not saying the game works bad, it just it should work a lot better.

SkateZilla gave you an answer why your CPU doesn't get 100% utilization. Why you don't see 1 core 100% and others less is because OS balances out the load, even if 1 thread runs on 1 core and application like DCS is not multi threaded (with exception of sound engine, which as mentioned runs on second thread).

So 60% utilization of your CPU is normal.

No longer active in DCS...

Just decided to boot up and play again and have on average 15FPS what gives? I have everything on LOW even now and get this compared to high and on average around 60-80 FPS before.

I7-3770K 3.5, GTX 670, 16GB ram

I see that recommended specs have changed but really that much a difference? Yes all drivers are up to date.

Guys, if you're using NVidia try reinstalling the graphics driver & purging the shader cache. Worked for me, no stutter/FPS related problems whatsoever anymore.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Nvidia shader issues....NO NVIDIA HAS GOD DRIVERS ONLY AMD DRIVERS SUCK....ahahhah

suggest useing the GURU3d DRIVER CLEANER if you think you have a driver issue.... and nvidia had driver issues last week i know.

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Edited by OldE24

8700k@4.7 32GB ram, 1080TI hybrid SC2

Hi guys,

This might be a workaroundmor than a solution, but I found that disabling forest tree shadows and putting tree visibility to 0 helps a good deal with keeping the fps up.

Disable Tree Shadows

To set the tree visibility to 0 in 1.5.3 go to "..\Users\..\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\options.lua" and edit the following line:

["treesVisibility"] = [b]0[/b],

Flying around in a Mirage 2000 at 3000+ ft I don't really care about the lack of trees and I feel more immersed by the higher FPS. There are also terrain mods that make up for it by restoring some of the forest terrain shading, see Starway Northern Europe 3.2

P.S: I have a late 2015 retina iMac with 24Gb Ram, 4Ghz CPU, R9 M395X 4Gb. I'm running it at 1440p and having an enjoyable experience.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

This might be a workaroundmor than a solution, but I found that disabling forest tree shadows and putting tree visibility to 0 helps a good deal with keeping the fps up.

Disable Tree Shadows

To set the tree visibility to 0 in 1.5.3 go to "..\Users\..\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\options.lua" and edit the following line:

["treesVisibility"] = [b]0[/b],

Flying around in a Mirage 2000 at 3000+ ft I don't really care about the lack of trees and I feel more immersed by the higher FPS. There are also terrain mods that make up for it by restoring some of the forest terrain shading, see Starway Northern Europe 3.2

P.S: I have a late 2015 retina iMac with 24Gb Ram, 4Ghz CPU, R9 M395X 4Gb. I'm running it at 1440p and having an enjoyable experience.

I've just tried both. No perceivable difference. Also:

1. The forest trees are still there if you move the camera close enough. 10 meters or so.

2. The trees bundled with structures (in the cities) are still there all the time.

Choose LOW Preset, then Drop Everything to Low.

Slowly Add back detail until you lose FPS,

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Choose LOW Preset, then Drop Everything to Low.

Slowly Add back detail until you lose FPS,

I reverted to 1.5.2 view distance luas and it helped some.

Toyed around with LOW settings also as you suggested, but the impact was minimal.

Since I'm far from the only one, it seems that 1.5.3 has serious optimization issues.

Please look into it.

I reverted to 1.5.2 view distance luas and it helped some.

Toyed around with LOW settings also as you suggested, but the impact was minimal.

Since I'm far from the only one, it seems that 1.5.3 has serious optimization issues.

Please look into it.

It was so beautiful past performance

Ok, I managed to find the culprit.

It was not the view distance, it is the shadows.

Shadows turned off make my FPS go up to 80's on the ground near a big city and 120+ frames in the sky.

Shadows on low make my FPS on the ground fall to 40ish near a city.

Shadows on medium or higher cause FPS to fall to 20 or lower.

All other settings are on high at 1600x900, 2x MSAA, 2x Anistropic filtering. Trees at 15k, preload radious at 100k.

Computer: Win7 64bit, I5 3550 3.30GHZ, 8GB RAM, GTX 560. Computer is 4 years old, so it's not cutting edge. Time to upgrade RAM and video card.

Edited by Slipp

Ok, I managed to find the culprit.

It was not the view distance, it is the shadows.

Shadows turned off make my FPS go up to 80's on the ground near a big city and 120+ frames in the sky.

Shadows on low make my FPS on the ground fall to 40ish near a city.

Shadows on medium or higher cause FPS to fall to 20 or lower.

All other settings are on high at 1600x900, 2x MSAA, 2x Anistropic filtering. Trees at 15k, preload radious at 100k.

Computer: Win7 64bit, I5 3550 3.30GHZ, 8GB RAM, GTX 560. Computer is 4 years old, so it's not cutting edge. Time to upgrade RAM and video card.

Gonna test that on my PC aswell now.

­­­­­­

1.5.2 -> 1.5.3 Had some changes to view distances, on mobile so I cant search for the LUA to download if you want 1.5.2 performance back, outside of that, only option is to decrease view distances and presets.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Thanks for the Recap, completely missed the part about trying old 1.5.2 settings.

We know that, we acknowledged that change, and modified our settings accordingly. But as others and I already have said, it didn't solve anything

Just incase someone says I am generalizing it...

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2722351&postcount=215

and

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2715935&postcount=207

Also the shadows thing is getting interesting to look into..

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2715452&postcount=206

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2716455&postcount=210

Now... on my testing part...

I turned shadows from LOW to FLAT and I literally gained x2 the FPS I have (can reach up to 70 FPS sometimes)... the problem is the RAM bottleneck is still there, and the game keeps freezing and stuttering constantly (game unplayable).

Just loaded up the game, joined virtual aerobatics server, hopped into an aircraft and the game already takes up 6 GB 300 MB (and keeps wandering around there since there isn't much more RAM left... so I think it begins to go crazy with my hard disk... not good.)

Tried the same with VISIBILITY settings to LOW (it was medium before, and before that it was high, but that didn't change anything) and the results were.. uhm not amusing....

Loaded up the game, joined server, hopped into aircraft, RAM is already 6 GB 300 MB... not a single change. In some seconds the game reaches 6 gb 500 mb and the pc is, well, totally freezing again.

Dear Eagle Dynamics Team,

If you could only fix the damn RAM problem... this game would run beautifully.

I can't keep telling you how it doesn't work, you won't listen...

Visibility changes did not change a single bit, so can't blame it on the 1.5.3 update. The game is unplayable since EDGE and they kept telling me it was still in beta, okay... so I kept waiting and waiting and the results are the same.

The game would run fine before EDGE. It was playable. I sincerely can't understand how you guys even remotely run it. It's probably because you've got 16 GB of RAM. Well I have 8 GB, trying to run it at the lowest settings possible, and the game is definitely NOT playable in any way.

Sorry for my constant rants but I'd like to keep using this sim. I hope you also understand that I paid for something that doesn't work anymore.

I truly tried everything I could. My apologies.

Sincerely,

Just another miserable user on the net.

P.S. as I was writing this my game tried to push it towards 7 GB of RAM occupied and locked up the entire the PC for some minutes... ED... please ?

I am on 8gb and have no issues even when vram is maxed on my 970gtx. I run off SSD. do you have an ssd you can try?

I am on 8gb and have no issues even when vram is maxed on my 970gtx. I run off SSD. do you have an ssd you can try?

I was on the same situation before upgrading to 16GB of RAM.... an SDD will decrease the loading time, sure, but won't solve anythings related to the RAM usage. Simple, with 8GB of RAM on a multiplayers server, with both flat shadows enabled, no more than 15/30 MN of game before crash, not to mention the BIG freezes. 16GB solved the problem, but RAM usage is very high, often 9GB+ in multiplayers.

and 10 years ago we'd have OMG OMG this game uses 1GB of ram... time to realize, like with everything else, things change... including the amount of ram computers need.

ram is basically the cheapest part of a PC... and I'm glad there are games out there that actually try to make use of the full potential of PC hardware.

games being made for consoles limited hardware, then ported to pc, or the dude that decided his 8 year old core2 (or 2 year old AMD system) is still plenty good enough blow chunks. especially if, without those limitations, so much more could have been done.

please don't try and take away one of the few games out there that actually push PC hardware, there are so few of them.

having the bar set at the lowest common denominator for hardware limits just holds DCS back from all it could be.

Edited by Hadwell

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]