Low frame rate

Galm1

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've flown 1.5.3 only a tad, but haven't noticed any huge fps drop so far, just a tiny bit more stutter when flying low over larger towns. Certain spots/views tank the fps just like 1.5.2 did, e.g. spawning at Batumi ramp (The first default spot the editor gives) and looking from the cockpit northward between the airport terminal and some buildings into the trees causes drops and stutters for me.

Despite I always push that alt+enter at the start of the game once for true fullscreen. Became a habit by now...

Sent from my pComputer using Keyboard

Some short while ago for 1.5.3 the terrain config settings were adjusted for better visibility across all settings. So you need to understand 1 thing. Do not use high, and especially not ultra and extreme settings for visibility distances, or forests distance, if you do not have a top of the line PC (which includes very fast, later gen 4 core (or more) o/c CPU, and top of the line video card. The high setting is still very pleasant and has very decent visibility distance, you can't expect ultra and extreme (just think about what this work means!) setting... and expect good FPS when flying over cities and very dense forests, with high MSAA and what not else.

People's expectations need to be re-adjusted after this terrain visibility settings adjustments. High would be plenty for most users, if on lower and medium end PC's... you should use low and medium settings, not high, and most definitely not ultra or extreme.

HIGH settings should be used for high end PC's (the whole lot, not just one component)

MEDIUM should be used for medium, and LOW for low end PC.

Disable mirrors, use flat shadows, don't use depth of field, and don't use high MSAA... just to name a few. Start from there and see how each setting affects your FPS, and adjust (one by one) to suit.

Is this a high end PC for you?

4790k @ 4ghz

msi 980Ti gaming

16GB RAM

installed on Samsung 850 evo SSD

Even i feel some stutters with high visibility, but on first few 1.5 i never had such stutters...

IMO, the performance gets step by step decreased since 1.5, but who knows...

ED should know what they're doing

• ED Team

ED should know what they're doing

ED do know what they are doing.

Everyone's machine is different, different settings, drivers, power management, monitors, resolution, and so on, finding why some users get lower frame rates than others is not a simple task, ED are always looking to optimise.

My specs are in my signature, my current settings for MP.

I get great frame rates.

Edited by BIGNEWY

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

So I was getting between 130 and 200 FPS on max settings.

I would say my set up is High End.

1.5.3 has really made me wish I had not updated and I have spent a few quid because of how much I was enjoying DCS World having given up on it many years ago because of poor performance.

I think we need a proper explanation here because I have noticed more modern graphics outputs like strobes lighting the air frame etc.

If we want to make a fair comparison then we need to know what graphics settings are the equivalent in this update to the last.

ED can you let us know as it looks like the update has bricked DCS World 1.5.3 but we all know that that is not really the case.

Lots of unhappy people at the moment please set us all straight.

WoOdZ_UK

CPU 8700K Overclocked @5.1 Delid no HT, Hero X, Memory, 32gb Corsair Dual 3333mhz, ASUS Strix OC 1080TI, Corsair MP510x2 900GB, Warthog Hotas, MFG Crosswind, MFD's, Rift S.

Has anyone else been experiencing crazy frame rate drops compared to 1.2? Or maybe someone can help me out with a fix. I know that DX9 was prone to crashes, but at least until it crashed I could count on steady frame rate. Idk if DX11 is even worth the issues I have been having frame rate wise. It seems that while flying, things are generally smooth running at a 40-50 fps, but AS SOON AS I get close to the ground for dropping bombs or landings/takeoffs, the game will just drop to less than a single frame a second. Obviously this is a problem because even though it looks stopped to me, the game is in fact still running and it has caused several crashes and headaches. It has gotten to the point that the game is almost unplayable for me. I have tried lowering my settings and have seen no difference. I'd like to say that it isn't a graphics issue since the drops will happen for the most random things. For instance, I will land smooth, but as soon as the radio menu comes up, I drop frame rate. Or in the Ka-50, I will be flying fine, and I turn on the Shkval fine, but as soon as I slave the Shkval from sky to ground, I get frame rate drop. Sometimes it happens just hovering helicopters or taxing aircraft down the taxiway. I am really disappointed because this is probably my favorite sim ever, and now I can't play a single session without wanting to tear my eyeballs out.

Yes.. with the latest patch I have a massive FPS drop!

Before the last 2 patches I never got less than 60 FPS with 1.5. Now sometimes I have only 23 FPS.

Looks like the old "tree" problem again but this time no Flat ground shadows or something else helps me.

Edit: Very interesting is that my GPU temperature is going up if I got less FPS and dropping with more FPS and that in REAL TIME (all water-cooled). That's the first time that I can notice such a behavior in a game. Looks like a problem with the CPU too GPU transfer and vice versa.

The GPU average workload is around 63% which is a bad behavior. It’s jumping all the time between 40% and 75%

It’s so low that the GPU boost isn’t kicking in. The GPU is “idling”!

Before that the GPU had a work load of 90% and the boost was always on.

No hardware or software change has happen only the latest patches.

Iwill test this with 2.0.1 too.

Edited by Nedum

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X3D, System-RAM: 64 GB DDR5, GPU: nVidia 4090, Monitor: LG 38" 3840*1600, VR-HMD: Pimax Crystal, OS: Windows 11Pro, 2*2TB Samsung M.2 SSD, HOTAS: TM Warthog, Paddles: MfG.

Dear ED,

I have a mid-range PC & play with medium settings. :noexpression:

Kindly note that, I am also experiencing massive FPS issue after updating to 1.5.3.

Flying over large cities I was getting 30 fps, now it drops to 20 fps. :(

Also I am seeing a lot of stutter at ground level & sometimes at medium altitude.

Since a lot of people are having the same issue, I think this needs some attention from your end.

Regards,

ApolloAce

My Specs: i5 3.1 Ghz, GTX 650 1GB VRAM, 8 GB RAM. 500 GB HDD.

Rig - I7-9700K/GIGABYTE Z390D/RTX-2080 SUPER/32-GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE RAM/1-TB SSD

Mods - A10C / F18C / AV8B / Mig21 / Su33 / SC / F14B

@Kuky: my PC is a 4.6GHz i7-2600k / GTX980 / 16GB RAM / SSD rig that ran v1.5.2 flawlessly at 60FPS synced. I always had mirrors & DOF and all that stuff disabled & ran it all on 2xMSAA & HIGH visibility. Now, after upgrading to v1.5.3 I'm seeing wildly fluctuating framerates plus lots of stuttering, i.e. the great performance I previously had has totally gone down the tubes. So my question to you is as follows: are you _seriously_ suggesting a machine vastly exceeding the minimum specs shouldn't be able to run the sim at HIGH anymore?

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

I can't believe all the complaining. This update has brought about the best visual fidelity this sim has ever had and your complaining you can't run same settings when Lua has been adjusted for more view distance of objects and terrain, and on top of that the awesome lighting. Get used to it turn down your settings yes I have noticed a fps drop also but I welcome it as its future proofing this engine and it looks amazing.

For thos that have bad frames over forests look up Dcs world tree shadows in Google and do what Mustang did and get rid of the tree shadows your frame rate will skyrocket.

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

Yes.. with the latest patch I have a massive FPS drop!

Before the last 2 patches I never got less than 60 FPS with 1.5. Now sometimes I have only 23 FPS.

Looks like the old "tree" problem again but this time no Flat ground shadows or something else helps me.

Edit: Very interesting is that my GPU temperature is going up if I got less FPS and dropping with more FPS and that in REAL TIME (all water-cooled). That's the first time that I can notice such a behavior in a game. Looks like a problem with the CPU too GPU transfer and vice versa.

The GPU average workload is around 63% which is a bad behavior. It’s jumping all the time between 40% and 75%

It’s so low that the GPU boost isn’t kicking in. The GPU is “idling”!

Before that the GPU had a work load of 90% and the boost was always on.

No hardware or software change has happen only the latest patches.

Iwill test this with 2.0.1 too.

Right alt enter?

I can't believe all the complaining. This update has brought about the best visual fidelity this sim has ever had and your complaining you can't run same settings when Lua has been adjusted for more view distance of objects and terrain, and on top of that the awesome lighting. Get used to it turn down your settings yes I have noticed a fps drop also but I welcome it as its future proofing this engine and it looks amazing.

For thos that have bad frames over forests look up Dcs world tree shadows in Google and do what Mustang did and get rid of the tree shadows your frame rate will skyrocket.

What you say doesn't help me in any way!

If you read my posting you will notice that the GPU load is reduced in such a way that my GPU boost doesn't even start to work.

This wasn't so before the latest update.

If you were any near right the GPU load wouldn't be lower.

If I fly at 3000 Meters and the only reason for a massive FPS is the light, the shadows and the clouds than there is something wrong with the game engine and not with my Hardware.

Jumping from 37% GPU load to 90% every few seconds is a game engine problem. And it wasn't so bad before the last patch.

Right alt enter?

Yes, I did this all the time!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X3D, System-RAM: 64 GB DDR5, GPU: nVidia 4090, Monitor: LG 38" 3840*1600, VR-HMD: Pimax Crystal, OS: Windows 11Pro, 2*2TB Samsung M.2 SSD, HOTAS: TM Warthog, Paddles: MfG.

Did you update to the new nvidia drivers? If so roll back and repeat. The gpu usage goes down significantly when their is allot of objects on screen and it's being held up by the processor, this is my observations anyway. Also getting rid of the tree shadows will help

What you say doesn't help me in any way!

If you read my posting you will notice that the GPU load is reduced in such a way that my GPU boost doesn't even start to work.

This wasn't so before the latest update.

If you were any near right the GPU load wouldn't be lower.

If I fly at 3000 Meters and the only reason for a massive FPS is the light, the shadows and the clouds than there is something wrong with the game engine and not with my Hardware.

Jumping from 37% GPU load to 90% every few seconds is a game engine problem. And it wasn't so bad before the last patch.

Yes, I did this all the time!

Sounds like your pc can't handle the new draw distance settings, give the old ones a try

Sounds like your pc can't handle the new draw distance settings, give the old ones a try

I have flown another test with reduced view distance and the GPU load dropped from average 63% to a steady 50%. :huh:

I am using the D-9 quick mission "Free Flight".

Flying circles at the same height.

Starting with 190 FPS at the first screen, view heading Batumi, as soon as I am moving my view/plane nose to the mountains the FPS are dropping to 43.

The work load of my GPU was starting with 72% as soon I am loading the mission, after that the GPU load dropped to 28% until I am hitting the "play button". After that the GPU load was around 50% all the time.

50% of GPU load is extreme bad these days, because if the GPU has nothing to do the CPU must do all the work and that's the point; like with 1.2.6 the CPU is doing all the work and the GPU is "idling".

This bad behavior was gone after some patches after the release of 1.5.x. Now this game engine shows the same behavior as the old D3D 9 game engine again.

Is the DX11 renderer working like he should do?

dude that is puzzling, well i forsee us running into a wall like we did with 1.2 eventually, as more and more objects and ai are added into scenarios. Already see it with the awesome 476th mission in nevada.

From what you posted up top it sounds like something is crushing the processor or something is very wrong with engine. Maybe try to do a dcs world repair and or delete you saved games dcs world folder but obviously save control setups in their.

Use the attachment below if you wish to use the older 1.5.2 visibility values (unpack to Config\terrain folder in DCS)

I think we can all accept much of what has been said from a positive point of view and I am all for options.

It is just about education for most. If we are seeing improved graphics then I am all for that but if the frame rate penalty is that high that it becomes a bad experience then a choice would have been good or knowing that previous ultra settings are now medium in the new build.

Looks like you have now given us all an option so hats off to you.

Further to this I see NVIDIA posting driver updates for new releases all the time. I think ED should talk to the likes of NVIDIA because although this was originally old software it is currently using a modern DX11 capable engine.

Can you or anyone from ED advise that they are talking to NVIDIA and AMD about new drivers that have optimisations for EDGE just as we would see with any major new release.

WoOdZ_UK

CPU 8700K Overclocked @5.1 Delid no HT, Hero X, Memory, 32gb Corsair Dual 3333mhz, ASUS Strix OC 1080TI, Corsair MP510x2 900GB, Warthog Hotas, MFG Crosswind, MFD's, Rift S.

do what Mustang did and get rid of the tree shadows your frame rate will skyrocket.

I can't. The folder tree was changed and I can no longer find the correct location.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Use the attachment below if you wish to use the older 1.5.2 visibility values (unpack to Config\terrain folder in DCS)

Mustang to the rescue! Thanks mate, you da man :thumbup: Downloading forthwith...

If you look at the distances in these files right at the top, there's no difference in the 1.5.3 version but there is with the 1.5.2 versions. Guess it makes sense the fps was affected.

-

If man were meant to fly he'd be filled with helium.

and get rid of the tree shadows your frame rate will skyrocket.

Did that in v1.5.2 already, got better f/s, reinstalled it just now on v1.5.3 and the FPS is _still_ in the pits. Which then brings us to your next suggestion, which would be... what exactly? To claim a 4.6GHz i7-2600k can't run this thing on HIGH anymore, perhaps?

OK, enough with the sarkyness for now; but I'm pretty certain there's something wrong with the patch regardless. But then it's a beta, isn't it ;):D