Real time cockpit reflections in canopy and instruments

Hi guys!

A (never seen before) feature I would love to see in a flight sim for lots of years would be real time reflections for glass surfaces...the thing is one of the most noticeable things when you see real life videos or just fly from the cockpit is that as you manouver the plane, the changes in sun light and shadows make reflections to change dynamically and even making instruments hard to read ...

I know many of you would think about it as a "game breaker" due to the problems that would appear when reading instruments and spotting enemies but now we have for many years systems for head tracking I think it would be a great addition to REALISM!! as real pilots have to deal with this so they have to slightly move their heads to be able to read instruments/spot enemies due to reflections (also in the canopy glass)...we would have to do the same depending also of the situation...that would greatly improve cockpit inmersion anytime you perform a roll for example and all "shiny" or "glossy" surfaces start to "change" dynamically depending of how light is illuminating the rest of the cockpit :worthy:...

Of course it could be and option so people dont liking it can disable it and maybe there is no need to make it a REAL computed reflection to do the trick...I think some "fake" but animated reflection could do the job pretty well and so it could not suck so many resources...as an example, here is a video where all I said is noticeable (cant find right now a video of a fighter but this would do the job)

what do you think about it guys??

Take a look at my MODS here

• ED Team
No body would be interested in this improvement?...i think it would not be too hard to achieve and would be great to see the cockpit "alive" and more like you are there...specially with future VR devices...

Would be pretty low on my priority list personally... especially with any impact to performance it would bring to it. I would like them to spend my dollars on eye candy elsewhere.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Would be pretty low on my priority list personally... especially with any impact to performance it would bring to it. I would like them to spend my dollars on eye candy elsewhere.

Thanks for the answer sith!!...the thing is I think it could be easily achievable...maybe something like project cars which i dont think are real computed reflections and looks pretty damn good for gauges and such...if you think about it, its almost the only one thing remaining in the cockpit (graphics wise) to do...i remember when i first saw glass reflections back in project gotham racing in xbox 360!! They were so well done and inmersive :)...you could really see how they interacted with environment, and would be even more important in fighters as most of the cockpit is glass...

Edited by watermanpc

I thought the same thing about cockpit shadows when it 1st came out. Now I would t fly without it. It's a feature that would be a nice addition in the future. I think our hardware needs to catch up to DCS more.

Yeah, cockpit shadows are one of the most important things they added, graphic wise, and are a must without any doubt...hope reflections become next anytime soon...

Cant really compare a game like Project Gotham with Sim games I think... apples and oranges.

Well, I did not compared dcs with PGR in any moment mate...Im just talking about cockpit reflections in both games, just that...nothing to do with the games themselves...

• ED Team

Well, I did not compared dcs with PGR in any moment mate...Im just talking about cockpit reflections in both games, just that...nothing to do with the games themselves...

What I meant was a game in which exists in a much much much smaller space, and less going on under the hood can afford more eye candy.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Ok, you are right then but i think that this kind of little details can really make a difference in terms of realism and simulation...remember that this effect would have an inpact in gameplay and as krabs20 said, now, cockpit self shadowing is a must for most users and are a great inmersive feature I cant live without now, im sure gauges and canopy reflections would do the same...

I would take weather effects before real time reflections for sure, icing, rain, etc...

these are desperately needed

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

these are desperately needed

I agree about weather effects of course, but those are more complex and require more work than what Im talking about for sure...reflections should be quite easy to do for a professional artist/programer in both gauges and canopy (again probably there is no need for real time reflections to get a nice and "enough" effect) but yes, I think we want it all!!!:D

Internal cockpit reflections (though static) always existed in in DCS for some reason they are not working anymore since 1.5. The new engine only reads the alpha channel from "window_glass_refl.dds" files and without reading the RGB channels there are no reflections anymore.

:cry_2:

Are you sure of that mate??...I have just checked my game and I DO have reflections in 1.5...but of course not dynamic...

EDIT: Ok, I tested F15 and mig 29 and they have reflections...SU25 doesnt have so...looks like some planes have and others dont...quite weird...

Edited by watermanpc