Newbie to MP - Advice please...

HI all,

I'm new to Lockon.ru and also new to LOMAC MP and would like some advice;

I purchased LOMAC Gold a couple of weeks and I'm enjoying playing the SP missions and campaigns and would like to start playing MP. I've got several years of flight sim experience (going back to Microprose Gunship on my Commodore64.....) but have never really got into the whole online gaming thing (getting fragged by 12yr olds on Quake and BF1942 etc got really old really quick....) apart from experimenting with the original Falcon on the Atari ST and null modem cable. I'm still getting the hang of LOMAC combat in SP mode and dont really know what to expect from the MP mode, for instance are the missions co-op or head to head?

I'm still low on the learning curve, and dont really fancy embarassing myself in front of a bunch of LOMAC veterans as I nose plant the runway at 350kts, can anyone suggest a good place to start where I'd be flying with/against other newbs?

Sorry, but first-timers always 'embarass themselves in front of a bunch of LOMAC veterans' ... there's simply no way around it, so just start flying, that's that ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

The best advice to give is to download Teamspeak and buy a headset with microphone ( there pretty cheap ). Then download Hyperlobby which is were all the servers and people fly on ( its free ). Then when you click on a server, usually it will say the ip address for their teamspeak so you can go on and talk to others. This way you can ask questions and let them know your taking off, landing etc,etc. Be prepaired to die alot online, it is a whole different world than singleplayer.

Sorry, but first-timers always 'embarass themselves in front of a bunch of LOMAC veterans' ... there's simply no way around it, so just start flying, that's that ;)

Today i've played with the new (and great!) ACMI tool and saw 2 veterans

fire 11 120's at a poor soul flying a SU27. Welcome to Lomac online play :music_whistling:

^^ you'd be surprized how often it happens. ACMI is awesome.. :D

ANyway/..

To the OP. Most servers in HyperLobby are what we like to call "Air Quake" you pick a side, spawn and fly to find someone and you either die or get a kill, you then respawn and go at it again.

This is very fun though, so dont get discouraged by it. People online WILL be better than you, they've been doing this for more time their wifes care to know.

If you want to do online co-op. I host a co-op server sometimes, it's called =COOP_SERV= (been very busy this week though) but you should see it on HL now and then, and you are welcome to join us for some co-op fun :) (we are ussualy on around @ 22:00 GMT)

welcome to LockOn

sig-YF19a.jpg

Thanks for the advice guys, looks like I'll be taking a trip over to PC World to invest in a headset - <sarcasm>can't wait to hear the wife and kids comments when I'm wearing it tho</sarcasm>.:music_whistling:

Any pointers on how I should have the difficulty options set in SP to replicate a MP environment (labels, view etc)? And what other hardware I should be putting on my birthday/xmas lists? Seems like a trackIR is invaluable, but being a leftie I'm a bit limited on HOTAS options.......

HI all,

I'm new to Lockon.ru and also new to LOMAC MP and would like some advice;

I purchased LOMAC Gold a couple of weeks and I'm enjoying playing the SP missions and campaigns and would like to start playing MP. I've got several years of flight sim experience (going back to Microprose Gunship on my Commodore64.....) but have never really got into the whole online gaming thing (getting fragged by 12yr olds on Quake and BF1942 etc got really old really quick....) apart from experimenting with the original Falcon on the Atari ST and null modem cable. I'm still getting the hang of LOMAC combat in SP mode and dont really know what to expect from the MP mode, for instance are the missions co-op or head to head?

I'm still low on the learning curve, and dont really fancy embarassing myself in front of a bunch of LOMAC veterans as I nose plant the runway at 350kts, can anyone suggest a good place to start where I'd be flying with/against other newbs?

Hello newbie!

Here are some rules/general directions you should follow when flying online:

1. If you see me on the taxiway next to you, DON'T move. Wait for me to taxi to runway, take off and reach my W1 (which is usually some 80-100km away), THEN spool up, taxi to runway and take off.

2. There are three types of online pilots:

a) DFO -> Dumb Flying Objects

These guys fly over friendly bases, do some aerobatic stunts and then crash into the runway..usually taking few innocent souls with them.

b) Teamplayers -> spamming on the chat window "Oh, I got uhm..contact..320..jamming..anyone of you guys??" They can be anoying but often useful

c) Lone wolves -> flying solo, doing hits and run and pumping up stats (Pilotasso for example)

You can be either b) or c) but DON'T for the love of God be a)

3) If you're not sure if the contact ahead of you is bandit, try to ask for some sort of confirmation. Don't just fire your missile and hope for the best.

4) Don't ask too much questions on the global chat. Use the forums instead. We can ignore you on the forums a lot easier then on the server.

5) When joining a TS channel, try to behave. Don't belch, scream or produce drunk noises thinking its cool. It's not.

I hope you will enjoy Lockon online and your time with this community, as you'll soon find out they're very useful bunch of guys, always ready to help. Small minority is made of troublemakers and anoying people (for example, me), but they're harmless and often just desperatly seeking some attention.

See ya in the skies!

<whooosh>:pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commanding Officer of:

2nd Company 1st financial guard battalion "Mrcine"

See our squads here and our

Croatian radio chat for DCS World

Today i've played with the new (and great!) ACMI tool and saw 2 veterans

fire 11 120's at a poor soul flying a SU27. Welcome to Lomac online play :music_whistling:

Yeah, I saw this a lot as well ... I've seen a Su-27 dodge some 8-9 120's before eating one ... SPAMRAAMing is lame, but there's people who use it all the time ... no names, but there's the whole shoot a lot, turn around and run away thing happening ... ZERO staying power, but that's the way they like it I suppose.

Don't confuse this with multiple launches due to missile sucking though.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Online people play with "Ace Settings" or custom, but bascally no labels, no external views, etc.

If you can afford it, trackir is the best thing you can purchase, for LockOn or any other flight/race sim :D

PS: Daaaamn man. Talk about quick replies.. 1 reply every second from 3:42 to 3:45 :thumbup:

sig-YF19a.jpg

Any pointers on how I should have the difficulty options set in SP to replicate a MP environment (labels, view etc)

To be honest - the SP settings to replicate a MP environment haven't

been programmed yet. Nothing meets the diabolic, back-stabbing

and nasty behavior humans can give you in MP - and i mean this

in a positive way ;)

Also ensure you can do basic things like

a) full start up (not exactly hard in lomac)

b) Take off without crashing

c) Land without crashing

d) Know the difference between taxi way and runway (suprising how many dont)

e) Know how to use your weapons, and how to load them up.

It amazes me how many times I am in a server and people ask, "why when I start up my 25T all the dials read 0".

b) Take off without crashing
9/10 times assuming the kids/wife/dog isn't demanding my imediate attention :)

c) Land without crashing
8/10 times as long as trashing the nosewheel on the 25 doesnt count ;)

d) Know the difference between taxi way and runway (suprising how many dont)
Runway = the wide thing with numbers on

Taxiway = the thin twisty bits off to one side

e) Know how to use your weapons, and how to load them up.
Using and loading them I can manage, actually getting them to hit my target is a slightly different matter, and its taking a while for the russian types/models to stick in my head.