Simple Range Script

Ciribob

• 2 weeks later...

Fixed - just download the latest lua from GitHub https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ciribob/DCS-SimpleRangeScript/master/rangescript.lua

Test mission isnt updated yet - but just use the new script 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Scripts: Complete Transport And Logistics Deployment - CTLD / CTLD Examples - Lots of example of how to use CTLD

CSAR Script - Downed Pilot Rescue / Dedicated Server Script - Automatically launch DCS Multiplayer server at startup

Range Scoring Script - Get scores and counts hits on targets for gunnery or bombs / SimpleSlotBlock - Multiplayer dynamic Slot Blocking Script

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required! :)

DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I've been using the Iron Bombing Range mission that utilizes the rangescript.lua, just realized this morning the bombing accuracy in meters is no longer being reported.  I went back and did a fresh start with the original file from sidekick65 from the DCS User Files download, still no accuracy information being reported.  Is anyone else seeing this?

16 minutes ago, DP Spaz said:

Hi, I've been using the Iron Bombing Range mission that utilizes the rangescript.lua, just realized this morning the bombing accuracy in meters is no longer being reported.  I went back and did a fresh start with the original file from sidekick65 from the DCS User Files download, still no accuracy information being reported.  Is anyone else seeing this?

Please, read two posts above yours 🙂

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I have updated with the latest rangescript.lua, still seeing the same issue.  Is anyone else experiencing the same?  I'm no expert at with lua, I'll do my best to continue investigating.

I lowered the min altitude and that appears to have gotten it functioning.  Further testing has resulted in intermittent reporting of the accuracy.  Will continue to test and investigate.

2/20: Lots of testing and have not been able to reproduce and problems, likely just my lack of understanding how things work.  It is part of my standard tools when flying DCS, greatly appreciate the effort to create and maintain this capability for the DCS crews!

Edited by DP Spaz
Update testing results

Further testing of the rangescript.lua I sometimes get this error.. see the attached file.  It appears to be related when at above min bombing altitude to launch bombs/rockets and I enter into zone.  The message appears twice, which seems to coincide with enter zone and exit zone.  I have set range.bombingMinAlt = 1800

I'm also finding the following issue:

1. strafing zone maxAlt = 1500, the in-zone messages are being displayed well above that altitude.. 3-4k

Error1.JPG

Spaz NM P51 Cardonville Practice.miz

Edited by DP Spaz
Attached the .miz file

51 minutes ago, DP Spaz said:

Further testing of the rangescript.lua I sometimes get this error.. see the attached file.  It appears to be related when at above min bombing altitude to launch bombs/rockets and I enter into zone.  The message appears twice, which seems to coincide with enter zone and exit zone.  I have set range.bombingMinAlt = 1800

Hello,

Please attach the mission so that @Ciribob has more information to check the issue.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

I've attached the .miz file to my previous post.  Appreciate looking into this.  Let me know if you have any questions or need additional information.

Some times the reporting works, other times nothing.  I'm just learning lua and scripting so my knowledge and experience at this point is limited. 

Thanks!

Dave

I made some changes to my mission, specifically the size of the zones for the bombing targets.  I thought possibly because they are over-lapping it may be causing the issue.  I reviewed the Iron Bombing Range mission and see how they implemented the zones, so followed with the same implementation.  Unfortunately it did not resolve the issue.  I'm attaching my updated mission and the track file so you can see exactly what is happening. 

Spaz NM P51 Cardonville Practice.miz 210223_Spitz_Cordville_Bomb00.trk

rangescript.lua

Edited by DP Spaz
Attaching my rangetrack.lua file as well.

• 1 month later...
On 2/21/2021 at 9:11 AM, DP Spaz said:

I'm also finding the following issue:

1. strafing zone maxAlt = 1500, the in-zone messages are being displayed well above that altitude.. 3-4k

Error1.JPG

Spaz NM P51 Cardonville Practice.miz 80.07 kB · 2 downloads

I'm getting the exact same error when running the Feb 7th script.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/26/2021 at 11:09 AM, wraith70 said:

I'm getting the exact same error when running the Feb 7th script.

Thanks for posting, at least I'm not the only one having issues.  We are having various issues with the script, some of which doesn't make sense as some times they occur, and sometimes don't.  Earlier this week we were doing multiplayer, for the very 1st time my co-flyers callsign showed up when the script reported him on the range... that is the 1st time I've ever seen a callsign report.  Normally its "noname".  At this point I'm still not too knowledgeable yet on MIST, but working on it. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

😑 I loved using this script for so many years. So sad to see it dieing like this.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

I have Mist 4.4.90 like forever too but I'm not seeing any reports when flying into the strafing zone. Also there is no F10 menu at all.

Do you have the Normandy map, and the Spitfire, Mustangs, and P-47 Thunderbolt? If yes, I'll send you my mission to try... what the heck, attached.

Nmdy Training Range 05.5.miz

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

1 hour ago, Captain Orso said:

I have Mist 4.4.90 like forever too but I'm not seeing any reports when flying into the strafing zone. Also there is no F10 menu at all.

Do you have the Normandy map, and the Spitfire, Mustangs, and P-47 Thunderbolt? If yes, I'll send you my mission to try... what the heck, attached.

Nmdy Training Range 05.5.miz 272 kB · 0 downloads

Nope, I don't have any WWII stuff yet...Waiting for the Mosquito and/or F4U.

By your description, what I think is happening is that you are getting into the cockpit before the range script is loaded. When that happens, you don't get the F10 menu for it or strafing reports although it will report weapons drop.

Attached, is a mission with no mods or aircraft (add your own) in the Caucasus map, Mist 4.4.90 and the latest range script. In this mission, you can jump directly into any client a/c . I suppose it should run in MP but I have not tested it outside of SP. I'm running OB 2.7.4.9xxx 

CA Range - No mods.miz

Edited by Draken35

The issue with having to join as an observer or whatever was solved long ago. In the triggers that load the Mist and rangescript lua files I've added a report that they are loaded, and they always load.

I haven't used this mission in a long time -- been learning Harrier, A-10, and Hornet -- but my VFG wanted to try the P-47 so I added that to my training mission and I suddenly find it not working 😕

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

4 hours ago, Captain Orso said:

The issue with having to join as an observer or whatever was solved long ago. In the triggers that load the Mist and rangescript lua files I've added a report that they are loaded, and they always load.

I haven't used this mission in a long time -- been learning Harrier, A-10, and Hornet -- but my VFG wanted to try the P-47 so I added that to my training mission and I suddenly find it not working 😕

Gotcha... Hard to say without opening your mission.. Anyway, take a look at mine, I eliminated the need to join as an observer first 🙂

I don't see how adding an aircraft would break the script.

If it an old mission then it is probably using an old version of the script, which broke with a DCS patch earlier this year. Ciribob fixed it on February. Look at the first post in this page 🙂

Good luck! 

Ooooooookay... found an ancient mission on NTTR with Mist 4.3.72 and RangeScript 1.1, but older than the last 1.1, because this 1.1 has no MinAlt references, and it still works, although I have to first join as an observer until Mist and RangeScript are loaded.

I added a P-47D-40 and everything still worked as before.

I continued and added Mist 4.4.90 and RangeScript 1.2 and everything still works, but it still only works if a non-aircraft slot is filled first.

I've created a new training range map, this time on Caucasus, because who has Normandy anyway. My Normandy training range map originally had 4 P51s for gunnery practice, 4 for rocket practice, and 4 for bombing practice, all of them airstarts, plus a couple of naked Spitfires (one round wing, one clipped wing) and a P51 on a nearby airfield to be able to set them up anyway you wish.

Since my VFG started playing around with the P-47 I decided to add that to the mix to so for each of the above airstart groups I added a P47 group also with 4 each, except for the rocket groups, I added two of them (one for HVARs and one for M8s). This is the mission in which the RangeScript doesn't work. I'm wondering if it is on the total number of client aircraft -- although I'm only flying in SP and therefore only one aircraft is active at a time.

I'm going to try to up the new training range map to equal these number to see if that is the issue. If it's not, it may simply be that having carried that mission for so many years and over the years having edited it so many time, probably on many beta versions of DCS, that somewhere in there some bugs have crept in that the current editor just doesn't see or know to fix.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

On 7/29/2021 at 9:51 PM, Draken35 said:

8<

.. I eliminated the need to join as an observer first 🙂

8<

Hi Draken, how did you do that? I'm using the newest versions of the scripts and still have to join as an observer first or else the first aircraft doesn't register any hits.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

5 hours ago, Captain Orso said:

Hi Draken, how did you do that? I'm using the newest versions of the scripts and still have to join as an observer first or else the first aircraft doesn't register any hits.

I did it by loading MIST and the Range script in (different) MISSION START triggers coordinated by a flag.  Look at the triggers in the mission I attached above.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Draken35 said:

I did it by loading MIST and the Range script in (different) MISSION START triggers coordinated by a flag.  Look at the triggers in the mission I attached above.

Thanks a lot for the tip, will try it. 👍

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply Draken!😀

5 hours ago, Draken35 said:

Okay, my triggers were ONCE - TIME SINCE or whatever. I changed to MISSION START aaaand, no difference. I'm running SP for these tests. Scripts load before I join a slot. F10 menu works. When I fly into zone, it isn't recognized, and therefore bullet hits on the target are not registered. Also the "Rolling in on... " messages are not displayed.

I've removed all non-standard objects, so anyone can start the mission. The only aircraft are P-47's, so if you don't have that module, you'll have to edit to add your aircraft of preference.

Mission attached.

Draken, if you, or anybody else who wishes, could have a look at this, it would be much appreciated.

Cauc Training Ranges 01.08.miz

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler