Leatherneck Simulations New Years Eve Update

Cobra847

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing wrong with Leatherneck communication, stop overreacting.

I wasn't complaining about the communication, I was commenting on everyone else whining about the fact that the plane is not ready yesterday.

Leatherneck does an awesome job of communicating as does VEAO..

Please read all of the comments not just the latest one and you will understand the context..

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

Well yeah because hearing absolutely NOTHING for months on end is a much better solution..

Personally, I appreciate the communications from the devs so how about we give them a break and let them work on the modules and not bust their balls every time something doesn't go exactly as planned? I challenge any one of you to give an estimated timeline for ANYTHING over a span of a year or more and have it work out as anticipated, let alone projects of the kind of magnitude the devs have on their plates.

Folks sound like a bunch of 4 year olds around here..

Um, I think you'll find that in most industries, when you give an estimate, you damn well better deliver on time or you won't be doing business with whoever you just screwed by going off schedule for very long. I work in machining, and when we give a time estimate, we stick to it come hell or high water, and yes, for projects lasting out for a very long time.

Let me be clear on this, I'm not phased by the endless delays and re estimations because I haven't paid anything for it, but don't try to sell me on "nobody keeps deadlines", because that is completely false.

• Like 1

Any communication is better than no communication, even if LN can be time optimists (if that's an English word.) Since they have not given us any hard deadlines but merely estimates I don't mind cutting them some slack.

But this is software development. It's like solving puzzles. Very difficult to compare. Plus DCS world is as mentioned ever changing.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

Um, I think you'll find that in most industries, when you give an estimate, you damn well better deliver on time or you won't be doing business with whoever you just screwed by going off schedule for very long. I work in machining, and when we give a time estimate, we stick to it come hell or high water, and yes, for projects lasting out for a very long time.

Let me be clear on this, I'm not phased by the endless delays and re estimations because I haven't paid anything for it, but don't try to sell me on "nobody keeps deadlines", because that is completely false.

And you have no idea what you are talklng about regarding software and software projects..

Besides my friend NOBODY gave a deadline they provided an estimate simply because folks like you absolutely have to have a date to look at whether anyone could possibly know what a reasonable date could be....

DEADLINES and ESTIMATES are not interchangeable terms.

RAMBO

And you have no idea what you are talklng about regarding software and software projects..

Besides my friend NOBODY gave a deadline they provided an estimate simply because folks like you absolutely have to have a date to look at whether anyone could possibly know what a reasonable date could be....

Mate, I know about business, I know about integrated deadlines, and I know that if a shop shoots by it, they ain't gonna be in business long. Software development isn't some magic land of exceptions, there's a reason why crunch time is crunch time.

I'd like to remind you though, you're in the LN section of the forums. Here we have a much more relaxed way of looking at things, and while there is certainly some grumbling about the deadlines for announcements, of which we are now six months past, and some good natured teasing on all sides, we are not infected with the rampant "Fanbois vs Detractors" mentality that exists in certain other sections of the forums, so please kindly take your confrontational attitude elsewhere, or calm down and enjoy the atmosphere.

Mate, I know about business, I know about integrated deadlines, and I know that if a shop shoots by it, they ain't gonna be in business long. Software development isn't some magic land of exceptions, there's a reason why crunch time is crunch time.

I'd like to remind you though, you're in the LN section of the forums. Here we have a much more relaxed way of looking at things, and while there is certainly some grumbling about the deadlines for announcements, of which we are now six months past, and some good natured teasing on all sides, we are not infected with the rampant "Fanbois vs Detractors" mentality that exists in certain other sections of the forums, so please kindly take your confrontational attitude elsewhere, or calm down and enjoy the atmosphere.

Hmmmm my confrontational attitude..

LOL whatever you say..

• Like 1

RAMBO

Chill out bro :huh:

Alright that is the 2nd individual that took my statement too strong so apparently my caps on those three words came across much harsher than I intended.. Sorry guys I really wasn't being harsh or confrontational but if multiple folks see it that way then I apologize for that..

All I was trying to say is that with software especially, there is a big difference between deadlines and estimations..

That is all... I just think folks get too worked up when an estimation comes and goes and then the pitch forks come out...

RAMBO

Yes, I want modules yesterday. Who doesn't?

But I understand that building complex virtual machines is way different from filling a machining contract. The devs have to not just build the planes, they often have to build the tools themselves, certain mod them, and go far beyond "let's do this like the last one".... they have to design the planes in a virtual world with the added difficulty to mimicking the real thing.

It's a helluva job. I won't bitch.

...much

:D

Dogs of War Squadron

Call sign "HeadHunter" P-51D /Spitfire Jockey

Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR /Q9650 3.6Ghz | 16GB DDR3 1600 RipJaws | EVGA GTX-1060 ACX3 FTW | ThrustMaster 16000m & G13 GamePad w/analog rudder stick | TurtleBeach EarForce PX22 | Track IR5 | Vizio 40" 4K TV monitor (stuck temporarily with an Acer 22" :( )

It's not supposed to be an accurate timeline. We are, and have been, very clear that it is an estimate based on the situation at a particular time.

100%

That's why I said what I said.. There can be no accurate date, until the product is fully complete. I think my prediction is realistic, so long as DCS 3.0 doesn't come out before then :smilewink:

Leathernecks F-14 will take less time than it took Grumman to produce the prototype...Soooooo

We got that going for us.

;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Leathernecks F-14 will take less time than it took Grumman to produce the prototype...Soooooo

We got that going for us.

;)

The navy issued a request for proposals in july 1968 and the tomcat first flew in december 1970. Less than 2.5 years is pretty quick. (i know they were doing studies and stuff before the request was made ^^)

Having to make modules for an unstable and continuesly changing platform rises the delays also

"These are not the bugs you are looking for..":pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My YouTube channel

SPECS

-AMD FX8370 8 Core Processor 4.2 ghz

-GIGABYTE 970A-UD3P

-GTX 1050 TI Windforce 4g

-16 GB RAM

-Saitek X 52

-FaceNOIRtrack - 3 point clip Red Led

You guys should stop wanting new stuff, then the instabilities and continually changing platform could stabilize ;)

True then my Mig would be fixed %5Bemoji16%5D

You guys should stop wanting new stuff, then the instabilities and continually changing platform could stabilize ;)

True then mymi

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My YouTube channel

SPECS

-GIGABYTE 970A-UD3P

-16 GB RAM

-Saitek X 52

I know in 1.5.4 the Mig will be closer to the final product somehow. In LN we trust!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My YouTube channel

SPECS

-GIGABYTE 970A-UD3P

-16 GB RAM

-Saitek X 52

• 2 weeks later...
It is a final product. Receiving updates doesnt make it unfinished. Look at your phone OS receiving updates every couple of months.

Of course it does. That's precisely what it means. If it was finished, there wouldn't be any more updates. :)

Of course it does. That's precisely what it means. If it was finished, there wouldn't be any more updates. :)

So there is virtually no finished software in the world ? And of course no DCS module that is finished.

The Black Shark got an update 2 days ago. As far as I know it's the oldest module in DCS.