Professional and affordable TrackIR alternative

hegykc

Currently have trackir4 but if it needs replacing and your system is out and as good as you say then for that money I will snatch one off you sharply.

And lo, Reverend Vegas did say "Take forth unto the infidel the mighty GAU 8 and expend its holy 30MM so that freedom will be brung upon them who knoweth not the joys of BBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTT"

"Amen"

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great, there definitely needs to be more options on the headtracking market.

Two questions:

- How is the mounting done? I can only see in your description that there's a magnetic mount, but that wouldn't work with plastic.

- Any plans for less-clunky, lighter and smaller version with a cable?

You sound like a good person and to be honest from the professional look of this product a much more expensive price I think you would have got away with yet this is the price... Awesome! I'm in just to support your work whether it's edges are still rough or not it's worth the plunge. Hey maybe after that try rudder pedals with Hall effect sensors or something that'll get my interest for sure.

Keep up the great the great work from here in New Zealand.

Do you have an ETA?

Prototypes immediately after the hollydays. Products weeks after that. Unlike my grip project, this does not use any sci-fi manufacturing processes, just plain old cnc machining and off the shelf components, so they're really ready to go.

What software you will be using?

A second problem is the imminent release (few months) of VR headsets that will finally surpass current headtracking solutions in quality.

OpenTrack/FreeTrack are the only open source head tracking as far as I know. Problems are everyone is using different DIY hardware so each has to be individually set up. The crappy home made hardware just adds to the problem. With unified hardware, setups can be pre-made for true plug'n'play.

Count me in :thumbup: !

@hegykc: Maybe you can also make an extra clip to mount your device on a Basecap?

It's in the works.

How is the mounting done? I can only see in your description that there's a magnetic mount, but that wouldn't work with plastic.

- Any plans for less-clunky, lighter and smaller version with a cable?

There are 4 magnets in the system, so it's a 3-piece magnetically detachable device. You can detach the IR clip, and the mounting arm. The third piece, tiny magnetic base, is zip tied to your headset.

Edited by hegykc

I'm very happy with my TackIR, but do know people who would get use from this. Does the extra FOV help with looking up and down? It's the only area I occasionally have issues.

I can manufacture my own led lenses in quantities. 180° LEDs will be one of my first experiments. With diffusor caps over the leds, maybe even 270°. But that's all to be experimented with first.

I really hope this is getting public in the upcoming months because trackir lacks of precision in some cases..... Especially in the Zone limits

I will be getting TrackIR and comparing my design directly to it.

OpenTrack/FreeTrack are the only open source head tracking as far as I know. Problems are everyone is using different DIY hardware so each has to be individually set up. The crappy home made hardware just adds to the problem. With unified hardware, setups can be pre-made for true plug'n'play.

If this very point is solved satisfactorily, you could get a very good sale of this product.

The hardware looks very good (even better than TrackIR at some points), but the main reason I finally purchased TrackIR was the ease of use my friend had in setting it up.

While I was struggling with the open source solutions (and never got it to work), my friend basically just plugged his TrackIR in, and off he went..

So, after a while I did the same, and haven't looked back until now. ;)

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

Problems are everyone is using different DIY hardware so each has to be individually set up. The crappy home made hardware just adds to the problem. With unified hardware, setups can be pre-made for true plug'n'play.

I hope you are right.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

With headtracking the problem was and still is first and foremost software. Before eventually buying TIR4 i attempted diy , my home made hardware was quite a bit better then "crappy". What was crappy is tracking performance and CPU utilization overhead that the open source software created . I guess now when we have multiple processing cores its might not be as much of a problem (not tried since), but still I read quite some gripes .

So lets compare comparable things. TIR is not just a ir camera , its an end to end solution with specialty controller chip in the sensor and serious software suite supporting quite a list of games. As anticompetitive as they might be their solution works

They could use a much better head clip though. Yours looks to be shaped close enough to work as replacement . if this product sees the light of day I will get it for that .

Anton.

My pit build thread .

Simple and cheap UFC project

Yes you are right, but that was in the old days. I tried it too, 7 years ago.

But it really wouldn't be fair judging by that. First of all, if you used ANY kind diy IR filter, you got a crappy solution, then the 320p webcam and weak processors etc.

Today, there is no need at all for an on board image processing chip, which is about 6x more expensive then a webcam. And 1080p camera sensors are the norm. If you couple that with the industrial IR filter, it should not even be comparable.

So a few years back you couldn't really judge software, as the hardware to use it properly was basically non existent. It would be like an Android OS without existence of smartphones. You'd would consider it quite crappy on your nokia 3310 right?

Hegykc, you may want to add an item for a separate charger that can sit on the desk. The way it mounts on the monitor, it may be a hassle to click it on and off for charging, no? Even if it is magnetic, I would think it's hard to securely mount the base to the monitor. I know on the TrackIR3, the mounting pod was pretty week. Mine broke when it fell off my monitor.

Although I'm a Rift user now, I'll buy one just to support you! So you can get back to my grips :)

hsb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I havebTrackIR and love it...but for 34.00 I'll get one of these to try and further our hobby. Nice work!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Will you eventually be making a 6 dof version too?

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

hegykc, since you'll be getting a TrackIR for comparison anyway, could you design your IR clip with the same LED positions as the TrackIR clip?

You would give customers more choice - a lot of people already have TrackIR and the added option of being able to use your far superior clip with existing TrackIR systems would be a great feature. Just like I can use a DelanClip with my TrackIR 5 without any issues.

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

Will you eventually be making a 6 dof version too?

The hardware should be capable of 6DOF. I don't know if Opentrack is, though.

Edit: I just checked. Opentrack is capable of 6DOF if it tracks 3LED, so this setup should work in 6DOF.

Edited by Goblin

Ah ok. Didn't realise it was a software issue. But Hegykc did say he was gonna throw a bunch of money at devs. So here's hoping

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Wooow...i really like what you are trying to do...and probably i am going to be one of your customers for both trackir alternative and f-18 grip since i broke my warthog stick (tail piece part broke so i can't use it till i don't know how long. TM support doesn't have a replacement part so i ordered 3d printed one)...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pilot from Croatia