OP Hammerfall 3 (help with mission)

Yeah I'm not getting the ability to contact my JTAC at all :( Frequency to 30 but not seeing any option to contact the guys down there.

Flown to all points marked (Scan for target, ingress, target, egress) but nothing pops to allow me to establish contact. That means no wedding cake, so no attack from above the clouds :(

Checked the OP and that method was not succesful I fear.

Did you get Overlords order to take out the SA-9? JTAC is only available after you destroyed it.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think so, usually my wingmen had to get below the cloud deck to engage.

But below the clouds they usually can spot anything. Unless they have a bad day and they refuse to engage anything :music_whistling:

Then I must have had probably Jedi knights on my wing the other day. Before Scan waypoint, way above the clouds, they called out Air Defense targets, and after unleashing them, they took them out too, including the SA-9. Remaining above the clouds all the time... :D

Edited by Razor18

I am sorry CGuy, the only way to do that is to play it as a separate mission (just pick it up from the campaign folder and run it). This is an old question between frustrating players who can't fulfill all the objectives (and forcing to replay the mission more often) and more realistic approach where campaign will progress unless you die (which it would in real life) - or unless you press "replay" button in the debriefing (if it is there, TBH I mostly tested the missions as single ones) :)

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

• 4 weeks later...
I too having the issue of not being able to contact JTAC.

Radio is set on 30 but it is impossible to contact warriors.

Not sure if you read the thread so far. The JTAC only becomes available after you destroy the SAM unit located in the valley. Did you do that? It may take several passes to locate it, and probably one or two more to engage it (Mavs are definitely my weapon of choice for this task).

Then the JTAC becomes available and will task you to destroy the two bunkers guarding the valley entrance.

Not sure if you read the thread so far. The JTAC only becomes available after you destroy the SAM unit located in the valley. Did you do that? It may take several passes to locate it, and probably one or two more to engage it (Mavs are definitely my weapon of choice for this task).

Then the JTAC becomes available and will task you to destroy the two bunkers guarding the valley entrance.

Probably it's a bit cheating, but I always unleash my wingman as soon he reports air defense targets. He must be a Jedi, because he calls them out 7-8 km out being still totally in the soup... Still you have to pray that he hits the missile among the targets before running out of Mav's "wasted" for AA guns. That valley is more than a bit tricky for sure...

Probably it's a bit cheating, but I always unleash my wingman as soon he reports air defense targets.

Wow, you're lucky then. My AI wingmen never engage anything in this mission. I usually anchor them several miles from the action and have them rejoin for RTB because they're useless as hell. :D

@ yurgon

Yes i did, i havé the info that Warriors was available as jtac but the option in the radio was grey out.

Did it again and it work this time. Still even with the coordinate of the jtac my jdam did not hit when I release it from above the cloud.

Tough mission for sure need to train a bit

@ yurgon

Yes i did, i havé the info that Warriors was available as jtac but the option in the radio was grey out.

Did it again and it work this time. Still even with the coordinate of the jtac my jdam did not hit when I release it from above the cloud.

The coordinates given by JTAC are not precise enough to hit, based on them. You will need to fly below the clouds, and manually SPI-ing them (while lasing them for total accuracy). Then - if you want to bomb them - you can climb up again, extend and come back for a CCRP bomb run.

Glad it worked this time. I don't know any reason for the JTAC to be greyed out, unless the unit was destroyed, but I think in that case the JTAC menu would completely disappear from the radio menu.

Like Razor said, the JTAC coordinates are not accurate enough. DCS JTACs always give MGRS coords with 6 digits, providing a 100x100 meter grid in which the target is located. For bomb on coordinates, you'd need a 10 digit MGRS with 1x1 meter precision (or maybe an 8 digit coordinate with 10x10 meter precision for soft targets) - which, unfortunately, the JTAC will never provide, so like Razor said, you need to go down below the clouds, mark the targets yourself, preferably using markpoints, and then drop GBU38 on the markpoints.

I gotta say, though, that Op Hammerfall 3 is one of the toughest missions I've ever flown in DCS. Baltic Dragon really shows the sadist parts of his personality with this one. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I can't get the flight to do anything.

There are two Iglas, one Strela, four ZU-23-2, and two bunkers: I haven't got enough ordnance to deal with everything myslef, unless I try gun runs on the AAA. I can hit the two entrance AAAs with mavs, then with some (a lot of) luck drop GBU-32s on the Iglas and the Strela. Assuming I'm not hit and the trigger for the bunker coordinates only requires the SA-9 and -18s to be destroyed, I'm one bomb short. Not engaging the two front ZSUs is not viable since you're forced to fly straight to drop the GBUs and staying above the cloud layer is not an option.

Feels like I'm expected to perform RSEAD on a platform that isn't even close to being good at SEAD, and in shitty weather as well. If I were in the decision loop during the mission I'd request the bunker coordinates and destroy those from standoff with the GBU-32s, after dealing with the short range AAAs. MANPADS and Strela I'd leave to the ground forces.

If you could actually do as the briefing and FRAGO suggest (drop the GBU-32s from above the cloud layer) it would be another story, since there would be no need to deal with the AAA. Silence the MANPADS, go below the cloud layer and standoff the Strela, then use the remaining GBU-32s on the bunker.

Can anyone else get the wingman to do anything? I've tried sending them my SPI, sending them to attack whatever they want, anchoring them above the cloud layer, below the cloud layer, 10nm out, 5nm out: they just "unable" me.

To sum it up, I'm finding it hard just because the cloud layer completely messes up the GBU-32s.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, the wind is blowing directly against the bomb if you use the SOUTH-NORTH attack heading. I have the habit of releasing JDAMS at around half their window, but maybe relasing them as close as possible to the lower threshold may net better results.

Edited by Gliptal

To sum it up, I'm finding it hard just because the cloud layer completely messes up the GBU-32s.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, the wind is blowing directly against the bomb if you use the SOUTH-NORTH attack heading. I have the habit of releasing JDAMS at around half their window, but maybe relasing them as close as possible to the lower threshold may net better results.

What coordinates do you use for the GBUs? If they are the ones received from JTAC, you will never hit it, because it's too short to be accurate. You can only hit them, if you go below the ceiling, lase and SPI the bunker with TGP, then climbing back above the deck and extending for a proper CCRP run. I hope I didn't misunderstood your question / problem.

What coordinates do you use for the GBUs? If they are the ones received from JTAC, you will never hit it, because it's too short to be accurate. You can only hit them, if you go below the ceiling, lase and SPI the bunker with TGP, then climbing back above the deck and extending for a proper CCRP run. I hope I didn't misunderstood your question / problem.
That's exactly what I'm doing right now, although not on the bunkers but on the Iglas.

That's exactly what I'm doing right now, although not on the bunkers but on the Iglas.

Oh, sorry then. Does your wingman ever call out targets on the way to the target area? Because mine did (1.2.16 however), and if I unleashed him to "Attack air defense targets" without any more specifics, he alway shot Mavericks, and mostly took out also the SAM for me. It's a bit cheating (how could he see through the coulds?), but it worked... :music_whistling:

Oh, sorry then. Does your wingman ever call out targets on the way to the target area? Because mine did (1.2.16 however), and if I unleashed him to "Attack air defense targets" without any more specifics, he alway shot Mavericks, and mostly took out also the SAM for me. It's a bit cheating (how could he see through the coulds?), but it worked... :music_whistling:
Unfortunately now clouds affect AI as well as the TGP.