OP Hammerfall 3 (help with mission)

Anticipating more questions like this to come, I am creating a new thread specifically for OP Hammerfall 3. This is one of the hardest (if not the hardest) mission of all the campaign but is beatable if you use well - thought strategy.

Alright, so I'm on hammerfell 3 and I cannot pickup the JTAC or the tanks on 30.

No option in the menu

I made sure the radio is set to transmit

Also, my wingman never responds to commands.

I tell him to engage and he just flies around aimlessly

With JTAC I suspect there is something wrong with the radio setting. Make sure that you use the correct button for FM radio and have the left knob set to MAN (not AM or FM). As for wingman this is beyond my control, the AI sometimes have better days, and sometimes (quite often) quite the opposite...

I'm also on Hammerfall part 3 and I just can't seem to take out the SA-9 before being cut to shreds by either a SAM or the AAA.

My TGP is completely unable to see through the cloud cover at altitude as suggested in the briefing ("Scope out enemy positions").

As the SA-9 is an IR launcher, my jammer has no effect.

I'm about to start my 4th try on this and it's just getting frustrating having to go through startup, the flight there, just to get lit up and brought down before I have a chance to target and engage out of range. The problem is I have to drop before the cloud cover dangerously close to be able to spot and target the Air Defenses. My wingmen immediately go defensive as well and usually go down within 30 seconds of myself

Any help please?

I undestand this can get frustrating. I am not sure at this moment if it works, but you can turn on in options "permit crash recovery" which will put you back in the pit if you are killed.

Also, check Yurgon's links, there are quite a few good pieces of advice there. If there are still trouble, let us know!

And remember, if you are fed up and can't destroy any targets, if you simply return to base and land you should progress the campaign!

Back in my day when I first started gaming, I would press the M L I keys together on the keyboard. It gives full health and ammo

Other goodies were IDDQD and IDKFA

Not sure if it helps back 20 years ago it worked wonders when I couldn't get past a mission

The dive bombing method doesn't work. You need to dip below the clouds before you get to the "scope out enemy positions marker". Once there you have to use the valley and stay far enough away to launch a MAV at the AAA positions and on the SA-9.

I'm still working on completing it but thats the only way I can see doing it

A hint:

if you get below the clouds in the valley and manage to acquire the IR launcher, you can always note down it's exact position (either L/L or grid). You have the JDAMs for purpose and they are capable of hitting an exact spot, even from above the clouds...

Some thoughts on Hammerfall 3 in an older post of mine:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2340432&postcount=58

Yurgon. You can always count on this guy! :thumbup:

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to add one more tip: anchor the wingmen at safe distance while you work on the SA-9 (either with a MAV or create mark and drop JDAM). Once you destroy it, unleash the wingmen on the bunkers. They will likely use MAVs which will work fine. You can help too, if you have MAVs left. I found it too difficult to mark the bunkers accurately enough for JDAMS (which was not an issue with the SAM), but it's probably possible.

FWIW, I think this mission is now a bit easier than the original free version. Or maybe I just played it too many times :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

One question regarding this mission: Am I supposed to enter the "scan area" and contact JTAC so that he gives me coordinates to all targets and the bunkers, or am I supposed to first find and take out the SA-9 myself before contacting JTAC and getting the coordinates for the bunkers?

Just had to say this is one of the best singleplayer missions i have ever played! Reading all the thread just made me remember how difucult but fun it was (free version).

Now i am onto the payware version and soon i will encounter it again:)

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember how much I liked this mission when I played the free version in DCS1.2. Can't wait to get my new sim setup and fly the new paid version and 1.5/2.0. :)

What I did is ensure my baro altimeter is set up correctly and then note down the peak heights around that valley, I think it was 9,800ft or around there. Then set altitude warning at cloud base +200ft. . Set autopilot to level hold and fly a pattern left hand turn just avoiding the peak INSIDE the cloud. I was able to get about 10-15sec window of TGP penetration through the clouds flying this pattern. Once confirmed location of the SA-9, fly out and make a South - North approach from the valley entrance and drop a CBU97 (or JDAM), hope for the best.

I once also tried loading the plane very light, 2 pods of rocket, light fuel and nothing else. Poped out from the hills and killed that SA-9 with guns before it fired. Worked but took many tries. :megalol:

• Like 1

Ok, I managed to take the SA9 off, no problem.

After that, I tried to tell my flight to help me (attack air defense or target of opportunity) and I only got "unable" each time I tried...

JTAC gave me coordinate for the first bunker but I need to get bellow the cloud to get the precise location that's it ? (I missed the target 4 time with my bombs and the given coordinate above the clouds :/ )

It's hard alone with 2 wingmens doing nothing

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah, the AI is behaving weird - sometimes they will do most of the job for you, but most of the time they won't do anything... for the bunkers, go to the end of the valley and find them with your TGP, lase them and note down the exact coordinates. Than make WPs of these coordinates and drop JDAMs on them from above :)

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

That's what I tried to do, made 4 markpoint (2 bunkers and 2 AAA in front of them), get above the clouds and dropped jdams on them but it failed (I put the right wind parameters on the laste...)

Nevermind, will try another time, it's not that difficult even if the SAM site is hard to get :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

After that, I tried to tell my flight to help me (attack air defense or target of opportunity) and I only got "unable" each time I tried...

For the wingmen to obey attack order you first need to lead them below the clouds and close enough so they can see the bunkers.

JTAC gave me coordinate for the first bunker but I need to get below the cloud to get the precise location that's it ? (I missed the target 4 times with my bombs and the given coordinate above the clouds :/ )

Regarding the bunkers (hints):

Actually, although the JTAC's MGRS grid in his 9-line radio call is only a 6 digit one (giving 100 m precision) his datalink target (select red triangle on TAD) is accurate down to a single meter (10 digit grid) and thus sufficient to drop JDAMs ( GBU-38 ) on. I Did it, worked perfectly, and no need to drop below the clouds to find the bunkers :thumbup:.

I did have to first find and destroy the SA-9 before getting the message that JTAC was active though. Best fly east to west perpendicular to the valley axis just below the clouds and use the TGP, first zoomed out and fixed to a TAD-marked point in the valley, than zoom in once you spot something.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • RAM 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1600
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO
  • DSU Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD for Win10, Plextor M6e 128GB SSD for DCS exclusively, RAID-1 HDDs
  • GFX Aorus GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Xtreme Edition, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, 27" with G-Sync, Oculus Rift CV1

• HID TM HOTAS Warthog + 10 cm extension, MFG Crosswind pedals, TrackIR 5, Obutto oZone

My TM Warthog Profile + Chart, F-15C EM Diagram Generator

Try changing the noise parameter. In 1.5 it's just too hard to find them in WHOT TGP. Or use your wingman to spot them and take his SPI.

i9 9900k, 64 Go RAM, RTX 4090, Warthog HOTAS Throttle & Stick, Saitek Combat Rudder, MFD Cougar, Trackir 5 Pro, Multipurpose UFC and Oculus Rift S (when I want some VR),

http://www.twitch.tv/zarma4074 /  https://www.youtube.com/user/Zarma4074 

Copy-of-DCS-A-10C-User-Bar-CMR-ConvertImage.jpg

I use the texture pack but perhaps I messed up something with last week update...

For the wingman technique you use the TAD to use his wedding cake as a SPI that's it ?

Correct

i9 9900k, 64 Go RAM, RTX 4090, Warthog HOTAS Throttle & Stick, Saitek Combat Rudder, MFD Cougar, Trackir 5 Pro, Multipurpose UFC and Oculus Rift S (when I want some VR),

http://www.twitch.tv/zarma4074 /  https://www.youtube.com/user/Zarma4074 

Copy-of-DCS-A-10C-User-Bar-CMR-ConvertImage.jpg

The JTAC didnt trigger for me on arrival, so I ended up accidently wedding caking HIM, and smacking the Humvee with a JDAM by mistake! :P

:lol:

You were right, perhaps he was taking a nap, a little JDAM might wake everyone :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

When I tried the high alt bombing to destroy the bunkers, I had the problem that my JDAMs nearly always smacked into one of the mountain sides surrounding the little valley.

I then just stayed below the clouds after killing the SA-9, smacked one Mav into the middle of the infantry at the village, ordered my wingmen to take out the AA and destroyed the bunkers with Mavs. Called in the friendly ground troops and mopped up with gun and rockets in an s-n approach, as long as the friendlies were on route.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

Yeah I'm not getting the ability to contact my JTAC at all :( Frequency to 30 but not seeing any option to contact the guys down there.

Flown to all points marked (Scan for target, ingress, target, egress) but nothing pops to allow me to establish contact. That means no wedding cake, so no attack from above the clouds :(

Checked the OP and that method was not succesful I fear.

Edited by Nerdwing