Improved FLIR Simulation

Wizard1393

Improved FLIR Simulation  

252 members have voted

1. 1. Improved FLIR Simulation

• Yes, targets are very hard to find against the terrain
    • No, keep it as is.

Now imagine that on the 104th, where there are no labels, and you have to search through an entire town and the surrounding area for targets to kill in order to progress to the next target area :protest::ranting:

I don't play online, but i know all about the frustration that is DCS A-10C ;)

i5-7600K @ 4.8 | 32GB | 1080 | Rift S | TM MFD & WH HOTAS-10mm ext + TFRP

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely Yes. We all want the realism but we also want to complete our missions. No matter how hard core you are, this is still a game, we are all virtual pilots when we play it and a very large part of the fun for a group such as the VFA-2 is completing tasks.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Couldn't vote because although I believe it shoud be improved, the topic is talking about hard to see, whereas I think it's more about the heat sorce mapping with FLIR. as an improvement, not the visibility on CCD.

Wording.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

I created and flew a single player mission where I knew exactly where 3 or 4 targets were because I placed them. Yet, when flying an approach with a Rifle intent, I could hardly see them on the TGP. True, I could eventually lock on and launch, but if I had NOT known they were there, the IR screen would have been useless, WHOT or BHOT.

I had just figured it was me and my myopia. :/

http://media.defenceindustrydaily.com/images/ELEC_ATFLIR_Imagery_lg.jpg

from 12 years ago and 38 miles away (70 km!)

ELEC_ATFLIR_Imagery_lg.jpg.398a27837f23443c9422f90601c37aaa.jpg

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

Couldn't vote because although I believe it shoud be improved, the topic is talking about hard to see, whereas I think it's more about the heat sorce mapping with FLIR. as an improvement, not the visibility on CCD.

Wording.

+1 For me it would be implementing a more realistic method of how infrared imaging works, that is actually mapping dynamic heat sources, in the same fashion that Arma 3 does (depicted in this video https://youtu.be/1ycEcjCeWA8?t=227 3:47 to 3:57).

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I play arma 3 And like the flir there!

System:

Asus TUF Z390-Pro Gaming/ Intel i5-9600k@ Coffeelake 9a Gen/ Water Cooler Corsair Hydro H45/ Corsair Vengeance Lpx 32Gb 3200Mhz/ EVGA GeForce RX 2070 Super 8Gb Gddr6 256Bits/ 1 SSd M2 3gen 1Tb Xpg/ Headset Corsair + SoundCloud BlasterX Pro Gaming AE-5 / Corsair HX1000i W Plus Platinum/ Case Corsair Gamer Series Obsidiam 500D/ LG 32" 4k Monitor Dp/ Track Ir5 w/Clip Pro/ Saitek Hino X56

I play arma 3 And like the flir there!

Mmm we definitely need a similar system in DCS, actually giving objects, the terrain etc a temperature.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Nevada look's ok? O_o

It's a dust terrain, easy to see almost all at day, i Will try to see some at nigth.

System:

Asus TUF Z390-Pro Gaming/ Intel i5-9600k@ Coffeelake 9a Gen/ Water Cooler Corsair Hydro H45/ Corsair Vengeance Lpx 32Gb 3200Mhz/ EVGA GeForce RX 2070 Super 8Gb Gddr6 256Bits/ 1 SSd M2 3gen 1Tb Xpg/ Headset Corsair + SoundCloud BlasterX Pro Gaming AE-5 / Corsair HX1000i W Plus Platinum/ Case Corsair Gamer Series Obsidiam 500D/ LG 32" 4k Monitor Dp/ Track Ir5 w/Clip Pro/ Saitek Hino X56

Absolutely Yes. We all want the realism but we also want to complete our missions. No matter how hard core you are, this is still a game, we are all virtual pilots when we play it and a very large part of the fun for a group such as the VFA-2 is completing tasks.

So if in reality you can't use FLIR to detect and spot a target thats temperature ain't different from the environment, you still want it to shine and blind in the DCS?

Ain't the part of the simulation is that you get the benefits, as the flaws of the systems?

At least ARMA and Steel Beasts is getting this right, by generating heat only when engine is running and when vehicle is moving, and then cooling down in time. You can cover the vehicles, personnel and weapons with stuff to deny visibility in FLIR.

As at this moment the FLIR is at least challenge and more realistic.

Everyone seems to have the visual idea of the vehicles in the Iraq desert where already shapes are revealing the troops if not temperature being enough different or having a multi-color FLIR that can reveal better the small differentials like in Apache AH-64E.

Gaining intelligence, finding targets etc is time consuming task, especially if you have no idea where enemy might be.

http://www.military.com/video/operations-and-strategy/air-strikes/f-18-takes-out-insurgents/658386321001

Not so clear... Don't you think?

And where is all ground clutter, bushes, trees, rocks, meadows, individual trees, camouflage nets and other concealment tactics and methods in DCS? No where.

It is a billiard board where FLIR (actually every optical targeting system, as every radar, every laser etc) has Over Powered capability to do things.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I'm all for realism, that's why having the dynamic temperature system that Arma 3 has gets my vote, as to me it seems to be the most realistic option while still being feasible.

As for concealment, surely using the temperature system works best (most realistically) in this regard?

Edited by Northstar98

System:

As at this moment the FLIR is at least challenge and more realistic.

The FLIR isn't actually fully realistic in DCS. I chatted with ED back awhile ago in a private message about this problem. There are some aspects of it that are not correct and they said at some point they may do some correcting if they are able.

A common misconception is that plants show up on thermal imaging as being hot. They don't, and especially cactus. They are colder than the environment in most cases so they are darker than hot areas like open sandy areas that absorb a lot of IR energy. You can also see in the FLIR videos that you posted that some of the rocks cool down faster than the flat sandy areas.

If you look at the FLIR in DCS in Nevada the Saguaro cactus show up in the FLIR like rows of soldiers and rocks and bushes show up bright or white. IRL, you would not be able to see them or at least not as white hot objects. Running vehicles would stand out like a sore thumb. In Caucuses, the terrain and trees show up white partially which is also not correct.

Wikipedia - Cactus

Desert Cactus Website

Here are some thermal images that include vehicles, bodies and foliage and you can see very clearly that they're darker in most cases than the surrounding terrain or they mostly blend into the background.

attachment.php?attachmentid=169956&stc=1&d=1506620708

attachment.php?attachmentid=169957&stc=1&d=1506620708

attachment.php?attachmentid=169958&stc=1&d=1506620708

attachment.php?attachmentid=169959&stc=1&d=1506620708

Edited by 75th-VFS-Striker

Nvidia GTX-1080

Intel i7-4820K 3.7 Ghz

ASUS ROG Rampage IV Extreme MB

32 GB Memory

Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]