Grass' pit, "Ridgewood"

agrasyuk

On 2/8/2021 at 9:14 AM, Boltz said:

Wow Anton! Fast progress and very professional. I like the new throttle panel, looks much better with green backlighting. MFDs and CMSC are absolutely top quality. Are you taking orders?

one of these is reserved for you in case you are interested. Screens are ordered. 

2v2a3UUPjxUHnUD.jpg

Anton.

My pit build thread .

Simple and cheap UFC project

Wow they look excellent! I'll definitely take one. Also interested in MFCDs and a throttle lightplate. Already got screens for the MFDs so would need to check the fit.

Haven't had time to work on sim stuff for a while but I will get a couple weeks off at start of April to start catching up. I want to look at the ARC-210 panel, it looks interesting.

If I ever to do this again  it will be sold as  complete plug and play programmed  DCS-BIOS device. assembly is not trivial, I have some ruined samples, and I'm not going to risk anyone blaming me for their failure to assemble my convoluted kit. Price will be discussed in "for sale" thread if it gets to that stage or in private. I'm not sure when I will be taking on this

Anton.

My pit build thread .

• 3 weeks later...

Button engraving is done, need to turn some knobs now.

2v2aUgzLvxUHnUD.jpg

2v2aUgzW9xUHnUD.jpg

Acrylic boat switch knob going to be to thin after drilling, I wasn't sure if enough material is going to be left to hold a thread. So I got some time on the mill to fab some knobs out of alum. Still need to drill and tap. As you can see I have several available, let me know if anyone needs any. 

2v2aUWoeNxUHnUD.jpg

With 11th gen of intel CPUs now available the 10th gen stuff was on a deep sale so I went ahead and  purchased a system:

I7 10700K , 32Gb of RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, 850W seasonic gold PSU. Due to the situation with GPUs I will be using gtx1080 SC for the time being, curious if the EVGA cue will trigger my registration for 3090 eventually.

System is all set up, CPU OC'ed to 5GHz effortlessly. Screens got calibrated for the most part, still need to tweak that profile a bit.

Calibration in progress:

2v2aUgzbrxUHnUD.jpg

First test flight is complete

2v2aUgzZ3xUHnUD.jpg

In motion. Test pilot's feedback was satisfactory. Only 2 crashes so far. Stick curves will need to be adjusted .

Edited by agrasyuk

Anton.

My pit build thread .

Screen is painted with first layer. What a transformation! Blacks are darker, whites are brighter, everything looks sharper . I almost don't want to touch it any further, but the next coat will make things even better.

Used home depot off the shelf paints - PPG metallic and PPG diamond flat tinted to "stone" medium grey mixed 2:1 . All in all 40$ screen. 

Time to pay up guys at fly Elise it seems. 

2v2a9NA2gxUHnUD.jpg

2v2a9NB8DxUHnUD.jpg

Edited by agrasyuk

Anton.

My pit build thread .

• 4 weeks later...

Watermarks are gone.
as it turns out the screen is not perfectly cylindrical. Tweaked the curving profile, the annoying deformations while are near gone.

2v2aEnj5GxUHnUD.jpg

The raiser box i built for AHCP original location was really getting in my left knee and blocking the LDG somewhat. so it is now relocated. still very comfortable to reach.
Testing backlight. I Will need to redo the LEDs in LDG, after a freak accident with overvoltage they are quite a bit dimmer, nearly burned out. BUT the AHCP and the MFDs lighting is gorgeous.
Buttkicker is mounted under the chair, quite a finicky piece of hardware, still trying to dial it in.

2v2aEnjqCxUHnUD.jpg 

2v2aEnjdgxUHnUD.jpg

AHCP Detail. will need to turn proper caps for those NKK switches. 

2v2aEnjGVxUHnUD.jpg2v2aEnjnhxUHnUD.jpg

Edited by agrasyuk
  • Like 1

Anton.

My pit build thread .

It had to happen - I pulled the original strain gauge transducer out of the throttle and replaced with thumbstick out of xbox controller 😞 

Amplifier I assembled did great job, force sensing was nice, but the transducer itself would not keep a center and would drift abruptly on either or both axii. not a fun when cursor suddenly races to the gimbal limits. 
trimmed and retrimmed the center, set a really deep dead zone... I just can't make it usable...    

at least now I don't need yet another power supply, that xbox controller is comfy enough. I hope I will not need to open that darn handle ever again.,

2v2aHBK5WxUHnUD.jpg

If anyone wants working and tested transducer amplifier, or a PCB to make one let me know

2v2Hqo87MxUHnUD.jpg

Edited by agrasyuk

Anton.

My pit build thread .

LASTE panel with slightly longer baseplate to cover the console rib.
switches exposed to a header and connect to the throttle controller that had exactly four free pins left. the controller for the magnetic switch will reside in SAS device.

2v2aH4S8rxUHnUD.jpg

Now that the throttle is fully functional it is fastened in it's place. if all goes right I will not need to remove it again. all extra pins on the Bodnar controller are exposed via header underneath.

2v2aH4VJjxUHnUD.jpg

Anton.

My pit build thread .

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Hans! frustrating to say the least, yes, but I'm really happy with how the analog joystick turned out. huge improvement over stock TMWH slew stick. 
I really hope to see more of your progress.

working on a very interesting device. 
Breadboarded 16-seg displays into my test breadboard , i get flashing lights but the code is giving me problems. found seemingly compatible arduino library  , but can't get data overflow to downstream registers. 
If anyone has accomplished a 14 or 16 segment device I would appreciate any help or pointers. 

2v2aaMKrRxUHnUD.jpg

found my very old goPro. some footage of me doing donuts near Kobuleti while testing various views and camera placement points.

• Like 1

Anton.

My pit build thread .

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you Vinc. I will try to learn something from that resource, for one the HT16K33 chip looks like a viable alternative to drive the 8 displays.

Fuel panel is built, details here: https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/274056-grass-device-fuel-panel

Working on radios. started with Analog ARC-164 Switching units available on ebay. 

2v2abR6amxUHnUD.jpg

I am not looking towards decoding the truth table for these switches 

2v2abR6eTxUHnUD.jpg

2v2abR6bhxUHnUD.jpg

Lot's of LEDs , but it lights up nicely

2v2abR6EgxUHnUD.jpg

• Like 2

Anton.

My pit build thread .

• 1 month later...

not so much pit, but I now have a GPU for my flight sim and that should help. 

stupid card, even more stupid price, but I gave up waiting on 3090. 

2v2accdLMxUHnUD.jpg

"huge" doesn't quite describe the size. and what a fit, by a hair.
that being sad I will need to lower that drawer , that hot exhaust probably should have some room to flow out

2v2accdgzxUHnUD.jpg

Edited by agrasyuk
  • Like 1

Anton.

My pit build thread .

• 3 weeks later...

Anton, where are those radio rotaries and rotary switches from? What make are they?

I don't mean the knobs as they seem to be self made 👍

Regards, Vinc

Edited by Vinc_Vega

Regards, Vinc

real life: Royal Bavarian Airforce

online: VJS-GermanKnights.de

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9 hours ago, bnepethomas said:

really nice work Anton!

Thank you  Thomas

7 hours ago, Vinc_Vega said:

Anton, where are those radio rotaries and rotary switches from? What make are they?

I don't mean the knobs as they seem to be self made 👍

Regards, Vinc

• The two outboard frequency dialers are 4 position 51th series Grayhill rotary switches. 
  • The three inboard frequency dialers + the channel select are 26th series Grayhill absolute encoders indexed at 22.5 degrees (continuous rotation)
  • The two mode select switches are 26th series Grayhill absolute encoders indexed at 45 degrees. I blocked out the bottom position by inserting stops (cut from piano wire ) under the gasket.
  • Squelch is another Grayhill miniature rotary switch blocked for two position operation. I got the angle of the key in the PCB very wrong, will be drilling another set screw to match pointer position.

Knobs are a copy of a copy of the real ones that DM sold me years back. Cast in urethane plastic. I can supply if anyone wants. I'm gearing up to cast those from aluminum, hopefully soon. 

Edited by agrasyuk

Anton.

My pit build thread .

NP Vinc, and thank you again on the private note!

After several attempts I worked out the shape of the right console corner piece. lot's of compound angle cut's there. 
2v2aBuoQjxUHnUD.jpg

The segment display PCBs seem to be stuck in the mail somewhere. In the meanwhile I printed and assembled the covers for the ARC164 radios. Yes, I joined the dark side - purchased a 3d printer a month back. STL files are attached if anyone interested (these are my first attempts at fusion 360). printed, laminated and glued the frequency card. I really like the outcome so far.

2v2aB95kzxUHnUD.jpg

2v2aB95PMxUHnUD.jpg

Cover.stl Cover Hinge.stl

Edited by agrasyuk
  • Like 1

Anton.

My pit build thread .