Low GPU and CPU usage but LOW FPS also...why?

For anybody having issues with SLI, please check this thread out to get NVidia and AMD to create a profile: Link to SLI requests on Nvidia Forums and Crossfire on AMD Forums

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=155674

I think they should also update DCS drivers (at least they still named as "Black shark") in order to better fit the new engine improvements made by ED...maybe thats the culprit of the GPU usage problems...

Take a look at my MODS here

• 4 months later...

You can have a look at the GPU core clock with AfterBurner when in game, I have similar problem like yours, and my card is 980Ti, I found my GPU core clock is always default clock, not the Boost clock! which should be, similar low GPU load, like 30% - 40%, this really bother me.

I think they should also update DCS drivers (at least they still named as "Black shark") in order to better fit the new engine improvements made by ED...maybe thats the culprit of the GPU usage problems...

Have you checked thermals? maybe your card is throttling, only allowing 40% usage because the fan isn't working right, there could be insufficient airflow in the case, a card right up against the fan intake, dust....

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have this low GPU usage too on my AMD System!

Not everytime, when i get 100% GPU-speed i get 190 fps!!! :-)

But most of the time, it only runs on 30-50%........

Pagefile usage 19GB.......

On F-10 map i have only 20fps too, sometimes more, i dont know the reason, looks random!

This is bad in combined arms!

Edited by panzer_18

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]BASIS WarThunder and DCS

http://black-alpha-sheep-in-service.clans.de/ DISCORD: https://discord.gg/7AmpDD8

:smartass:Win-10Pro, Mainboard AB350-Gaming3, AMD Ryzen 1600x 4,1 GHZ, COOLER MASTER Master Liquid, 32GB 3200 DDR4, Gigabyte RX Vega 64, Samsung SSD 840, edtracker, edtracker-pro, Lenovo Explorer VR, modules: all

DirectX CPU Overhead

Turn Down Draw Distances Etc so less objects are rendered at one time.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

DirectX CPU Overhead

Turn Down Draw Distances Etc so less objects are rendered at one time.

Has really nothing to do with this!

Its totally random!

http://black-alpha-sheep-in-service.clans.de/ DISCORD: https://discord.gg/7AmpDD8

:smartass:Win-10Pro, Mainboard AB350-Gaming3, AMD Ryzen 1600x 4,1 GHZ, COOLER MASTER Master Liquid, 32GB 3200 DDR4, Gigabyte RX Vega 64, Samsung SSD 840, edtracker, edtracker-pro, Lenovo Explorer VR, modules: all

Has really nothing to do with this!

Its totally random!

Is it?

Because I've been over this a few times w/ other users.

Next time FPS and GPU Usage Takes a Dive, look at the rendered polygons in the scene (RCTRL+PAUSE BREAK x2)

Also Monitor Your GPU Vitals (Clocks, Temps etc)

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Is it?

Because I've been over this a few times w/ other users.

Next time FPS and GPU Usage Takes a Dive, look at the rendered polygons in the scene (RCTRL+PAUSE BREAK x2)

Also Monitor Your GPU Vitals (Clocks, Temps etc)

I have this issue on F-10 map too!

Is the F-10 map to hard for my computer?

Watch the postings before, the other player have the same issue and have documented it very well!

I dont have this issue in other games like War Thunder, with a much better graphics!

The visibility range is set to lowest anyway in DCS!

The graphics engine ist still broken, thats it!

Here my settings:

100m.jpg

Edited by panzer_18

• 1 month later...

I have this problem also. Running at low graphical settings for VR, and getting about 40-45fps at best on OB. My 980Ti usage is only 24-29% in game. Goes to 38% in main menu rofl.

On the plus side, my gpu fans never need to spin up.... :/

4770K, 16GB, SSDs, etc.

I think performance optimisation is going to have to be a priority for ED sooner rather than later.

7700K@5Ghz, 32GB 3600 CL16, 3080.

You can have a look at the GPU core clock with AfterBurner when in game, I have similar problem like yours, and my card is 980Ti, I found my GPU core clock is always default clock, not the Boost clock! which should be, similar low GPU load, like 30% - 40%, this really bother me.

Whenever I see my 980GTX not at full 1500/8000 MHz all the time I know that something reset my Energy Profile for the NV GPU in the NV GUI

Set it back to "Maximum Performance" instead of OPTIMIZED PERFORMANCE and you will see your GPU at 100% cycles all the time....eliminating some kind and moments of jerkyness, not really a stutter.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

• 4 weeks later...
I have this problem also. Running at low graphical settings for VR, and getting about 40-45fps at best on OB. My 980Ti usage is only 24-29% in game. Goes to 38% in main menu rofl.

On the plus side, my gpu fans never need to spin up.... :/

4770K, 16GB, SSDs, etc.

I think performance optimisation is going to have to be a priority for ED sooner rather than later.

I have THE SAME PROBLEM ! never got past 55% on GPU and 60% on ANY CPU core. Never got more than 3700GB VRAM usage on 8GB vram system. My rig below, newly installed system with newest system drivers. I'm going to return back my game to steam.

I have to use LOW settings to get 90Hz for HTC vive and than i have like 15-25% GPU utilization. When i try to turn off vive and steam vr I have sometimes drops to 75fps on low settings. I'm shocked this game didn't ever used more than half of my RAM, half of my GPU VRAM, half of my GPU power and half of my CPU power?! WTF?

Whenever I see my 980GTX not at full 1500/8000 MHz all the time I know that something reset my Energy Profile for the NV GPU in the NV GUI

Set it back to "Maximum Performance" instead of OPTIMIZED PERFORMANCE and you will see your GPU at 100% cycles all the time....eliminating some kind and moments of jerkyness, not really a stutter.

My system is on performance power mode even better -> BIOS functions like speed step and C1 turned off. I'm overclockin PCs and notebooks from 15 years now. I know how to set system properly. Engine of this game is a CRAP. Everywhere else i'm getting 90%-100% gpu utilisation. Not here..

Edited by soundslikerust
  • Like 1

Are these issues actually in 1.5 Beta?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

I have THE SAME PROBLEM ! never got past 55% on GPU and 60% on ANY CPU core. Never got more than 3700GB VRAM usage on 8GB vram system. My rig below, newly installed system with newest system drivers. I'm going to return back my game to steam.

I have to use LOW settings to get 90Hz for HTC vive and than i have like 15-25% GPU utilization. When i try to turn off vive and steam vr I have sometimes drops to 75fps on low settings. I'm shocked this game didn't ever used more than half of my RAM, half of my GPU VRAM, half of my GPU power and half of my CPU power?! WTF?

My system is on performance power mode even better -> BIOS functions like speed step and C1 turned off. I'm overclockin PCs and notebooks from 15 years now. I know how to set system properly. Engine of this game is a CRAP. Everywhere else i'm getting 90%-100% gpu utilisation. Not here..

No GPU has 3700GB of Ram, It's not a ram issue Anyway.

it's an Object Count / DirectX Command Issue as I've repeatedly said,

It doesnt matter how much GPU Power you throw at it, the bottle neck is the DirectX API.

No other Simulation or Game for that matter comes close to DCS's Rendered Object Count, View Distances, or GPU Commands, Except Maybe FSX/P3D, and I doubt you get 90FPS in those sims either.

It doesnt matter how much GPU Power you throw at it, the bottle neck is the DirectX API.

No other Simulation or Game for that matter comes close to DCS's Rendered Object Count, View Distances, or GPU Commands, Except Maybe FSX/P3D, and I doubt you get 90FPS in those sims either.

You are correct even with my setup 90 fps in P3d ya good luck. Just hope for the best.

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

You've repeatedly said that you know that this is the issue.. what is being done to remedy it? Directx12? Cutting down on having so many objects? (over 2000 objects and aprox 240,000 triangles on complete low settings and view distance is still too much.)

Would it make a difference to combine clusters of objects into one model instead of having them all separate? Are the models not optimized? Alot of the buildings look they should only consist of 5 polys so that number shouldn't be much higher in triangles once tessellated.

How about having a setting that allows users to control the amount of trees generated within the view distance instead of having that number set?

I keep hearing rumors of a new "edge engine" and rumors of some sort of 2.5 merge. Is that going to solve the directx api bottleneck that you talk about?

With all due respect to you, and all the devs/mods/testers... I feel like it is much more helpful and useful to bounce around suggestions and talk about solutions rather than just keep saying that there is no fix for it and this is just how it is. There is a lot that is possible without having to completely recreate the game from scratch.

HTC Vive, Saitek X52 Pro, i7-950 Overclocked to 4ghz, Noctua NH-D14 cooler, ASRock x58 Extreme MB, EVGA GTX 970 FTW, 24GB G Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 RAM, EVGA 650-GQ (650 watts) PSU, Windows 10 Home

I noticed a big difference when setting civil traffic and water to low...

YES!!! I works better!....sort of... defiantly playable now, but would like to see a fix. Setting Water to Low and Civ traffic to Off I now only drop 10fps down to 50 (locked myself at 60) On Caucuses map, at least for me that is an ok trade off for now. They both seem to drop FPS significantly but one more then the other I think its Civ Traffic

Windows 10 Pro 64, I5 4690k @4.6GHz with CAPTIAN 240EX AOI, Samsung 850 EVO ,G Skill Ripjaws 16G RAM, Nvidia GTX 970 STRIX, MSI Z97 GAMING 5, WD Blue 1TB HDD, Seasonic M12 II EVO psu, Track IR 5, Pro Flight X-55 Rhino H.O.T.A.S

YES!!! I works better!....sort of... defiantly playable now, but would like to see a fix. Setting Water to Low and Civ traffic to Off I now only drop 10fps down to 50 (locked myself at 60) On Caucuses map, at least for me that is an ok trade off for now. They both seem to drop FPS significantly but one more then the other I think its Civ Traffic

Goldsmack,

Did you notice a significant difference in framerates between the latest 1.5.3 update and the 1.5.4 updates? For me, I was getting excellent performance in the Caucasus region prior to updating to 1.5.4. I didn't mess with any settings or hardware. I wondered if I was just imagining things so I created a test mission or two and used the Revert/Updater feature to drop back to 1.5.3. Sure enough, 1.5.4 was/is causing a performance drop, though there doesn't seem to have been any visible change to objects, effects, etc. Just curious...

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

Goldsmack,

Did you notice a significant difference in framerates between the latest 1.5.3 update and the 1.5.4 updates? For me, I was getting excellent performance in the Caucasus region prior to updating to 1.5.4. I didn't mess with any settings or hardware. I wondered if I was just imagining things so I created a test mission or two and used the Revert/Updater feature to drop back to 1.5.3. Sure enough, 1.5.4 was/is causing a performance drop, though there doesn't seem to have been any visible change to objects, effects, etc. Just curious...

I honestly don't know :smartass:. I don't believe I used 1.5.3 at all (I was cheating on DCS for a while got stuck on another game) but I did use 2.0 Nevada quiet a bit and noticed a very nice bump in FPS after the last update or so. But I defiantly noticed 1.5.4 Caucuses. I will have to try what you did and revert to 1.5.3. I think your right about the over all visuals...nothing major seems to have changed.

Windows 10 Pro 64, I5 4690k @4.6GHz with CAPTIAN 240EX AOI, Samsung 850 EVO ,G Skill Ripjaws 16G RAM, Nvidia GTX 970 STRIX, MSI Z97 GAMING 5, WD Blue 1TB HDD, Seasonic M12 II EVO psu, Track IR 5, Pro Flight X-55 Rhino H.O.T.A.S

If this is the case then why are some people not experiencing this issue since according to your theory we should be experiencing the same issue whether you are running a 950 or 1080.

Also for me reducing the draw distance and hence the number of objects did not remove the problem or show an improvement.

Finally if this is the case then why can others with a near-identical rig to mine run the game with much higher settings (such as high shadows, high water, more visible trees, more clutter etc) without the game-destroying FPS drops?

Edited by Jacks

System Specs: i7 8700k @ 5.0GHz (not delidded), ASRock Extreme4 Z370 MOBO, EVGA GTX 1080 SC 8GB, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, Samsung Evo 240GB SSD, Samsung Evo 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Noctura NH-D15S Heat Sink, Acer VE278H 27" 1080p Monitor, Ocukus Rift CV1.

Controllers: TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster HOTAS X, Saitek Throttle Quadrant (with DIY removable collective mod), Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

Just trying to keep my number of takeoffs and landings equal!

For me shadows completely off is the only thing that makes it playable.

System Specs: i7 8700k @ 5.0GHz (not delidded), ASRock Extreme4 Z370 MOBO, EVGA GTX 1080 SC 8GB, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, Samsung Evo 240GB SSD, Samsung Evo 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Noctura NH-D15S Heat Sink, Acer VE278H 27" 1080p Monitor, Ocukus Rift CV1.

Controllers: TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster HOTAS X, Saitek Throttle Quadrant (with DIY removable collective mod), Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

If this is the case then why are some people not experiencing this issue since according to your theory we should be experiencing the same issue whether you are running a 950 or 1080.

Also for me reducing the draw distance and hence the number of objects did not remove the problem or show an improvement.

Finally if this is the case then why can others with a near-identical rig to mine run the game with much higher settings (such as high shadows, high water, more visible trees, more clutter etc) without the game-destroying FPS drops?

If others with identical systems run at higher fps it must be your settings?!

I suggest to agree on one mission (like SU-25T free flight) flown to compare fps and it is surprising that nobody using Nvidia cards ever mentioned the pre-defined profile that is coming with their drivers. It is named "Digital Combat Simulator: Black Shark", but the executable is "dcs.exe", so i guess that profile is active?!

Is "GeForce Experience" installed? I never installed it, because i distrust "automatically optimised pc settings for games". I use Nvidia Profile Inspector, delete pre-defined profiles and start from there.

CPU (4770) usage 40% - yes, but that is leveled over 4 cores, one core 70 one 40 and the other about 25.

GPU (980ti) usage 40-70%, resolution 2560x1440, 144Hz Gsync monitor, fps 70-144.

I have tweaked my nvidia profile using nvidia control panel to maximise FPS.

^ and that's what you guys should be starting with, while making comparisons. NV cpl settings can cause quite a performance difference after all, even on similar HW configs.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

UGGH! And I'm back to square one again :cry: Massive FPS loses in 1.5.3, 1.5.4 and 2.0. Everything on low deleted all my Nvidia profiles. Tried running Max performance in profile didn't help. My GPU usage show %100 and so dose Memory clock but GPU clock stay at like 600mhz but It set to go as high at 1400mhz...dose that mean anything?