AV-8B Harrier Thread

Angelthunder

To be fair to the quote, they said they were on schedule. Nothing about what or whose schedule :) Wording became wordplay on these forums many years ago.

Why do you think he said we are on schedule and not mention a date? :) A date is way more accurate, but it's never been mentioned. That's all you need to know.

It could just mean the internal schedule for project complete (then pass to ED and their process begins).

[Additionally, "release" might also be something other that what it's been generally accepted to be -edited]

That is true sadly... though I would still like to hold a candle of hope and not go down that route. Razbam has delivered thus far. Yes I know the Mirage is still incomplete, but from what I've heared from my squadmates, the aircraft is still quite the fighter and mostly works as intended.

My interpretation on the "we are on schedule" post is, that Razbam is on the schedule revealed to us = Q3 early access release.

I turn the dial only if things go south. There's enough negativity left right and center in life as it is.

DCS Finland | SF squadron

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this really accurate?

21558748_1456892767730690_7962715614179974732_n.jpg?oh=0a095db08275a9028a0b84eed48c85db&oe=5A1341B4

Shouldn't the edges of the projection be rounded, because the CRT projecting the image is round?

Also, I dont think a CRT can project black/grey images without a black background.

I thought these HUD FLIR images were projected green.

There was post a while back that they are having problems creating the images in greenscale. For the time being they are using grayscale, as a workaround.

-Shadow

Aurora R7 || i7K 8700K || 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s || 2TB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD || GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X || Windows 10 Pro || 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz || Virpil Warbird Base || Virpil T-50 Stick || Virpil MT-50 Throttle || Thrustmaster TPR Pedals || Oculus Rift

The two latest videos need nicely embedded for here tbh, looks super awesome. Would like the greenscale to be honest, this is a key part of the aircraft's special characteristic, it's quite the visual focus.

Super pleased they are testing in VR also, seems quite workable, which is encouraging!!

Part I

Part II

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

This is the only FLIR footage I've ever managed to find.

Quite loud.

Nice! And a good look at the multicolor moving map display, as well.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Quite loud.

As shown in the video, FLIR projection is greenscale, not opaque, and the projection is round-ish.

I can understand it's still WIP and it's a matter of tuning the FX. What I still don't understand is why something as basic as the pitch ladder is still not properly modeled.

Regards

P.S-> As seen in RAZBAM video, what's the physical explanation of the dependence between FLIR projection gamma and aircraft roll angle? I'm confused

Edited by amalahama

FFS people give it a rest, "this isn't right" " that isn't right" "that doesn't have rounded corners" "the sound isn't correct".

Stop behaving like 12 year olds, the video's all say its a work in progress, its in Alpha stage, once its released it will most likely be in Beta stage and once you buy it and fly it you can report bugs in the bug thread on the forum where they will be addressed in order of importance.

To get this out there for us to enjoy some things may have to be compromised, and corners cut due to the way ED does things, like the viggens BK-90 clusters just making a big bang in multiplayer.

So stop moaning about the slightest little thing you see in the test video's and wait until its released and you have flown it to moan about things that should have been done, but post it in the bugs thread so it can be addressed.

Edited by Auntystatic

FFS people give it a rest, "this isn't right" " that isn't right" "that doesn't have rounded corners" "the sound isn't correct".

Stop behaving like 12 year olds, the video's all say its a work in progress, its in Alpha stage, once its released it will most likely be in Beta stage and once you buy it and fly it you can report bugs in the bug thread on the forum where they will be addressed in order of importance.

To get this out there for us to enjoy some things may have to be compromised, and corners cut due to the way ED does things, like the viggens BK-90 clusters just making a big bang in multiplayer.

So stop moaning about the slightest little thing you see in the test video's and wait until its released and you have flown it to moan about things that should have been done, but post it in the bugs thread so it can be addressed.

OR, and hear me out, or they can continue. First off, RAZBAM has been pretty good about interfacing with the community on this project. They ask to see things in a video on this thread, not long after RAZBAM delivers a video. The community pointed out the intake was misshapen, next set of screenshots it was corrected. Community asked about the greyscale, it was promptly addressed. So evidence suggest that RAZBAM appreciates the feedback.

Second, yes the module is in alpha, which to me, means this is exactly the time to address anything that isn't correct. Instead of waiting until the relatively brief period after the module is released and it's on the front burner. Again, seems to be working to me.

Third, if it bothers you that much, ignore the thread... Good work is being done here. Sure, some people aren't keeping up with the forum and ask repetitive questions, that's the nature of the Internet. Again, evidence suggest the thread here is working rather well.

But that's just my 2 cents. Hell, I just like looking at the pictures.

-Shadow

• Like 1

Aurora R7 || i7K 8700K || 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s || 2TB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD || GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X || Windows 10 Pro || 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz || Virpil Warbird Base || Virpil T-50 Stick || Virpil MT-50 Throttle || Thrustmaster TPR Pedals || Oculus Rift

I agree 100% with Shadow. IMHO the bugs (the most important ones) must be fixed before the release itself in order to have the smoothest release possible. He is not acting like a 12 years old kid, he is just pointing that out. I really appreciate what he does. RAZBAM did a great job indeed but let's be honest, if it's wrong, it has to be fixed.

• Like 1

I agree 100% with Shadow. IMHO the bugs (the most important ones) must be fixed before the release itself in order to have the smoothest release possible. He is not acting like a 12 years old kid, he is just pointing that out. I really appreciate what he does. RAZBAM did a great job indeed but let's be honest, if it's wrong, it has to be fixed.

I agree. Like I said, there are some folks who don't keep up with the thread, but that's fine. There are a lot of threads, everyone ant keep up with them all. People are bound to repeat request. It happens.

-Shadow

• Like 1

i think auntystatic is more referring to the way amalahama pointed out the problems he saw. there is criticism and constructive criticism. his saying he doesnt understand how something so basic is still not fixed sure doesnt sound very constructive to me either. there is nothing wrong with reporting issues provided it is done respectfully. i am sure we have all heard that sometimes its not what you say but how you say it.

• Like 1

Charlesnett Callsign - "Fisherman"

There was post a while back that they are having problems creating the images in greenscale. For the time being they are using grayscale, as a workaround.

-Shadow

Ah, thanks.

Asking questions makes you a 12 year old..? This is the discussion thread on the AV-8B dude. You should expect more substance than 'looks great'.

Quite loud.

Nice find

Edited by Beamscanner

I was testing the damage modelling for the AV-8B NA. I made a special mission, which is a gauntlet of AAA that I must cross.

Here is an extract of the log:

** First gun on the gauntlet took out the right outrigger wheel:

00374.823 INFO AV8B_FM: EFM damage to Right Wheel 85, value: 0.056805

** Second gun took out half my left wing:

00420.960 INFO AV8B_FM: EFM damage to Left Wing Center 29, value: 0.418123

00420.978 ERROR GRAPHICSVISTA: Can't open model av-8b_oblomok_wing_r.

00420.979 INFO AV8B_FM: EFM damage to Left Wing Center 29, value: 0.000000

00420.979 INFO AV8B_FM: EFM damage to Left Wing Outboard 23, value: 0.000000

00420.979 INFO AV8B_FM: EFM damage to Left Wing Leading Edge Center 21, value: 0.000000

00420.979 INFO AV8B_FM: EFM damage to Wing RCS conduit

00420.979 INFO AV8B_FM: EFM damage to Aileron Left 25, value: 0.000000

00420.979 WARNING LOG: 1 duplicate message(s) skipped.

00420.979 INFO AV8B_FM: EFM damage to Left Gear Housing 15, value: 0.056966

00420.979 INFO AV8B_FM: EFM damage to Left Wing Inboard 35, value: 0.469084

00420.979 INFO AV8B_FM: EFM damage to Left Wing Fuel Tank

00420.979 INFO AV8B_FM: EFM damage to Left Wing Leading Edge Center 21, value: 0.000000

00420.979 INFO AV8B_FM: EFM damage to Left Outboard Flap 31, value: 0.310311

00420.979 INFO AV8B_FM: EFM damage to Left Inboard Flap 37, value: 0.292753

00420.979 INFO AV8B_FM: EFM damage to Left Wing Leading Edge Inboard 27, value: 0.974973

00420.979 INFO AV8B_FM: EFM damage to Left Wheel 84, value: 1.000000

The lesson here is don't fly into AAA range.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Nothing worse than hearing AAA rounds shredding your bird on an attack run! That's the name of the game in Air-to-Ground though. Gotta risk it to get the biscuit! haha

Luckily it seems the AV-8B is a fuzz quicker than the A-10 which should help when you gotta get outta dodge!